From Ley Line Walker to Dragon

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

From Ley Line Walker to Dragon

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

This is an intellectual exercise in preparation for a Rifts campaign I will be running for my kids.

Years ago I played a Ley Line Walker who was raised on the legends of his uncle who was a magic user so powerful he could transform into a dragon. For mystery's sake, we never specified exactly what kind of magic user his uncle was or how he accomplished this epic feat (or whether it was permanent, temporary or even an illusion... no one knows). My character received his magical training from his uncle before his mentor disappeared on a mission to a place called Wormwood. He never saw his uncle again.

During the campaign my character never did learn how to turn himself into a dragon (although he never stopped searching for the means to do so). Now, as I am reviving him as a NPC I have decided that somewhere along the way he did accomplish his goal. All that remains is for me to decide how he did so (learned to become a dragon, that is). Eventually this character will lead the PCs to Wormwood in search of his uncle.

Transformation spell?

Complicated ritual?

Unlocked his draconic blood heritage?

Illusion magic?

Bonded his soul with that of a dying dragon?

A lot of things come to mind and I honestly can't decide. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: From Ley Line Walker to Dragon

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Metamporphosis: Dragon spell.
PFRPG2

Add in a Permanence ward, and you're good to go.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Astral_Explorer
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Astral_Explorer »

One of the older Palladium Fantasy books had a circle that let you swap souls with another.
Atleast one dragon is running around without a soul currently.

As in Hades one of the Soul Eaters has a dragon soul in him.

Perhaps some crazy Super Hero device from Hero's unlimited could do this as well.

If you want perhaps the man was always a dragon but cursed to human form and over the years gained a cure for the curse.

The Megaverse is a big place with all kinds of strange and unqiue things in it.
indeed nearly every book has something unique in it and NPC's hardly conform to standard character construction, so if you want to come up with your own scenario or latch unto the idea's presented here.
Proud Member of the Coalition States Postal Service !!!

runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

what if a powerful Transformation spell/circle turned him into a human hundreds or thousands of year ago and stole most of his powers, he had a dozen human families over the years till he found a way to regain his transformation ability. Quests could evolve researching his past and locating other off spring. Remember now hes a dragon he would most likely have the normal dragon's attitude towards his children, but since their not dragons he may not see them as such a rival.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
MASTERMIND
Adventurer

Astral_Explorer wrote:One of the older Palladium Fantasy books had a circle that let you swap souls with another.
Atleast one dragon is running around without a soul currently.

Oh nice, that brings some story ideas to mind too...

indeed nearly every book has something unique in it and NPC's hardly conform to standard character construction, so if you want to come up with your own scenario or latch unto the idea's presented here.

Agreed, and I am not against bending, breaking and writing my own rules to make this work. The only constraints I can think of are that I don't want the NPC to be much more powerful than the PCs (only the level difference which they will eventually overcome).

A circle/ritual actually sounds like a really good idea.

gadrin wrote:Rifter # 14 has a Shifter special and pretty cool Spell of Legend in it. There's also a short blurb/story on how the shifter is transforming himself into a Lanotaur Hunter he's captured in there.

if you're interested :D

Yeah, I will look into that, definitely.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

One of the PFRPG books had a ring that would turn you into a dragon, or give you dragon powers, or something like that. A borg in my last group found it and stuck it on without thinking to ask what it did, and the GM had him start slowly turning into a dragon. Please note that this part wasn't official, we all OOC agreed that the magic level of Rifts Earth boosted the ring's power to allow it to happen, and, IIRC, we made it permament so he didn't need the ring afterwards. We didn't finish that campaign though, so the ring never got passed to anyone else.

Actually, now that I think about it, the ring was inside him. His new dragon body grew around it like a tree does.
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Wasn't there a Rifter with a OCC that gains dragon powers as they level up, eventually becoming dragons themselves?
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
wildhood
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Pickup my 1st Palladium RPG Book back in 1990.

Unread post by wildhood »

Were-Dragon in the RWB:21 pgs 97-101.(Splynn Dimensional Market)
I don t beleive I m using my XBOX One to post on here.
Undisiplined Veritech Pilots don t pilot Veritechs they pilot Verideck.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Metamporphosis: Dragon spell.
PFRPG2

Agreed. This is a great spell.

Also. The Uncle or whatever could have been a NIGHTBANE Sorcerer with Dragon-like Morphus.
So it may not have been "magic" at all, just his own inner-vision of himself coming out in the Morphus form. That would confuse people forever...
Rifter 20 has a Nightbane Morphus Themed Table to use.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
MASTERMIND
Adventurer

TechnoGothic wrote:Also. The Uncle or whatever could have been a NIGHTBANE Sorcerer with Dragon-like Morphus.
So it may not have been "magic" at all, just his own inner-vision of himself coming out in the Morphus form. That would confuse people forever...
Rifter 20 has a Nightbane Morphus Themed Table to use.

Oh yeah... Man, I never even thought of it but that is a great idea. Thanks!
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

MASTERMIND wrote:legends of his uncle who was a magic user so powerful he could transform into a dragon.
Well, this phrasing ("Could" as apposed to "Did") gives one the implication that the transformation was Not permanent.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Samored II »

Overlord Rikonius wrote:Wasn't there a Rifter with a OCC that gains dragon powers as they level up, eventually becoming dragons themselves?

The Dragonslayers. Rifter 7 or 8. I think.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

You could always go all 'M. Knight Shyamalan' with the story and the character finds out his uncle was actually a dragon (explaining on how he could "turn himself into one"). Then he realizes that this whole time...he wasn't a human, but he to was actually a dragon with some sort of amnesia which prevented him from ever knowing otherwise.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
MASTERMIND
Adventurer

Kagashi wrote:You could always go all 'M. Knight Shyamalan' with the story and the character finds out his uncle was actually a dragon (explaining on how he could "turn himself into one"). Then he realizes that this whole time...he wasn't a human, but he to was actually a dragon with some sort of amnesia which prevented him from ever knowing otherwise.

That is definitely a possibility as well, one that I am not excluding at all. I will be hammering this out today and I will post what I decided to go with. I appreciate all the suggestions.
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Samored II wrote:
Overlord Rikonius wrote:Wasn't there a Rifter with a OCC that gains dragon powers as they level up, eventually becoming dragons themselves?

The Dragonslayers. Rifter 7 or 8. I think.

Yeah that's the one :)
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

MASTERMIND wrote:
Kagashi wrote:You could always go all 'M. Knight Shyamalan' with the story and the character finds out his uncle was actually a dragon (explaining on how he could "turn himself into one"). Then he realizes that this whole time...he wasn't a human, but he to was actually a dragon with some sort of amnesia which prevented him from ever knowing otherwise.

That is definitely a possibility as well, one that I am not excluding at all. I will be hammering this out today and I will post what I decided to go with. I appreciate all the suggestions.

If you go the "Actually is a Dragon" route. Use the Chiang-Ku Dragons. They are the only dragon type which can shapeshift Indifiently, no time limit. Plus they love Humans and love to fight evil.
If your character lacks the Marks of Heritage tatooes, simple. They never gave them to you, or your familiy stopped this practice long ago.
HU has several Chiang-Ku dragons who lost the shapeshifting abilities due to low magic energies, but will regain it if they travel to a PPE rich world for awhile.
Just imagine finding out youra Chiang-Ku and learn to shapeshift for the first time.
Also Chiang-Ku prefer using a Human form usually. Hince the Uncle who could...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Metamporphosis: Dragon spell.
PFRPG2

Agreed.

But maybe the "uncle" is really a dragon :wink:.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
MASTERMIND
Adventurer

Also a distinct possibility as well. Just because someone calls an individual your uncle does not mean there is a blood relation there.

:)

Return to “Rifts®”