Group new to the system: Some rules questions

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

magustg1
D-Bee

Group new to the system: Some rules questions

Unread post by magustg1 »

Hello all,

My group and I are new to the Palladium system, and we have a few questions regarding a few game rules. I checked the FAQs and searched Google, but could not find the answers I was looking for.
For some clarity to help you all out with your answers, we're using the Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles rules.

Now on to our questions:
1) What is the formula for damage for missile volleys? For example: If I were launching 4 missiles that do 2d6x10 damage, would the damage formula be A) (2d6x10)x4; B) 8d6x10; C) 8d6x40; or D) Something else entirely?

2) What is the formula for figuring out how approximately how far a vehicle can move in one action, particularly in air/space combat? I found a question about this in the FAQ, but the answer is (forgive me if I sound rude) completely unhelpful.

3) The book states the Alpha fighter can carry more than one gunpod on its hardpoints. If I were carrying two gunpods, can I use W.P. Paired Weapons to fire both weapons simultaneously with one action? If so, how would I calculate the damage? Just double it? If its not possible to use both simultaneously in this manner, then is it possible to at least conserve ammunition by dividing up attacks between the two gunpods?

Thanks for any help in advance, its much appreciated.
wildhood
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Pickup my 1st Palladium RPG Book back in 1990.

Re: Group new to the system: Some rules questions

Unread post by wildhood »

magustg1 wrote:Hello all,

My group and I are new to the Palladium system, and we have a few questions regarding a few game rules. I checked the FAQs and searched Google, but could not find the answers I was looking for.
For some clarity to help you all out with your answers, we're using the Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles rules.

Now on to our questions:
1) What is the formula for damage for missile volleys? For example: If I were launching 4 missiles that do 2d6x10 damage, would the damage formula be A) (2d6x10)x4; B) 8d6x10; C) 8d6x40; or D) Something else entirely?

2) What is the formula for figuring out how approximately how far a vehicle can move in one action, particularly in air/space combat? I found a question about this in the FAQ, but the answer is (forgive me if I sound rude) completely unhelpful.

3) The book states the Alpha fighter can carry more than one gunpod on its hardpoints. If I were carrying two gunpods, can I use W.P. Paired Weapons to fire both weapons simultaneously with one action? If so, how would I calculate the damage? Just double it? If its not possible to use both simultaneously in this manner, then is it possible to at least conserve ammunition by dividing up attacks between the two gunpods?

Thanks for any help in advance, its much appreciated.
1) I would roll for one Missile & X it by the number you fired. 2) To bad the old Zentreadi book was still in print it could answer question. 3) Yes you can.
I don t beleive I m using my XBOX One to post on here.
Undisiplined Veritech Pilots don t pilot Veritechs they pilot Verideck.
magustg1
D-Bee

wildhood wrote:1) I would roll for one Missile & X it by the number you fired. 2) To bad the old Zentreadi book was still in print it could answer question. 3) Yes you can.

Thanks for the answers. For #3 do you mean "yes" to being able to attack with both guns at once?
wildhood
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Pickup my 1st Palladium RPG Book back in 1990.

Unread post by wildhood »

magustg1 wrote:
wildhood wrote:1) I would roll for one Missile & X it by the number you fired. 2) To bad the old Zentreadi book was still in print it could answer question. 3) Yes you can.

Thanks for the answers. For #3 do you mean "yes" to being able to attack with both guns at once?

Yes you can fire both guns, but your idea of saving ammo is much better. In the old book of Robotech the Alpha Fighter has two extra ammo clips stored one in each leg.
Last edited by wildhood on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don t beleive I m using my XBOX One to post on here.
Undisiplined Veritech Pilots don t pilot Veritechs they pilot Verideck.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

1. Options A and B can work for calculating missile volley damage (C if you really want to make missile volleys more dangerous). The people I've played with roll for each missile (option B).

2. Determing distance covered in an action
First determine the speed you are traveling at in seconds (if its hours divide by 60 twice to get seconds)
Second diving 15 by the number of attacks the character has available for the melee. This is the time period that one action/attack lasts.
Third multiply the speed per second by the attack length in seconds to get the distance per action.

Recaculate as necessary OR create a spreadsheet with the values predetermined for a range of speeds and attacks and print it off.

3. Yes. And with the appropriate skill, IINM you can target different targets. If at the same target treat as a missile volley for damage.
magustg1
D-Bee

I see, thank you all!

One more question, just out of curiosity. Do any other Palladium publications contain some kind of expanded maneuvers/stunts or combat rules for aircraft? I would think something from the Ninjas & Superspies or Recon, but I've had no real exposure to those books so I'm not sure at all.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from Catalonia

Unread post by mobuttu »

magustg1 wrote:I see, thank you all!

One more question, just out of curiosity. Do any other Palladium publications contain some kind of expanded maneuvers/stunts or combat rules for aircraft? I would think something from the Ninjas & Superspies or Recon, but I've had no real exposure to those books so I'm not sure at all.

There are some in HU2 and in a Rifter (sorry, I don't remember which issue).

Hope this helps.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

magustg1 wrote:1) What is the formula for damage for missile volleys? For example: If I were launching 4 missiles that do 2d6x10 damage, would the damage formula be A) (2d6x10)x4; B) 8d6x10; C) 8d6x40; or D) Something else entirely?

Every group I've played with rolled for each missile as long as it wasn't alot of missiles being fired. So with your example, we'd roll 8d6*10.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”