Fleets o' three galaxies....Dominator ships.....

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Fleets o' three galaxies....Dominator ships.....

Unread post by keir451 »

OK, Fleets of the Three galaxies is just released and I've already found a discrepancy.
The Dominator ships are described as "planetoid sized vessels"... The Star Wars Death Star was originally mistaken for a moon, yet its dimensions are placed at 120 Kilometers in diameter that's over 74 MILES in diameter, over twice the size of a Dominator ship, Pluto's moon Charon is estimated at over 700 miles in diameter. How can a ship only 30 miles in diameter be called a planetoid when it is SMALLER than even Pluto or Ceres.
30 miles isn't even a long drive. If these ships really are planetoids then they should be nearly the size of our moon, not the size of one of our cities.
Alright maybe I'm griping too much here, but the size of the Dominator ships just seems too small to me.

Anyone else have any thoughts regarding this?

Re: Braden Campbell's later post to this thread, I retract the above statement.
Last edited by keir451 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Re: Fleets o' three galaxies....Dominator ships.....

Unread post by Anthar »

Moons can be a lot smaller as long a s they orbit a planet though officially they get classified as satellites. Check out Wiki and you will see that some of our solar system's "moons" can be as small as 20kms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moons_by_diameter
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

keir451 wrote:OK, Fleets of the Three galaxies is just released and I've already found a discrepancy.

No you haven't. A discrepancy is a mistake or inconsistency. What you have found is the author's deliberate choice to not make the Dominator ships totally unassailable by Player Characters.

keir451 wrote:The Dominator ships are described as "planetoid sized vessels"...

Indeed they are. A planetoid, as defined by the International Astronomical Union is any object that is not a planet or a dwarf planet. In the good old days, such things were also called "asteroids"... a perfect example of which is 253 Mathilde (and behold... it's 30 miles across).

keir451 wrote:30 miles isn't even a long drive. If these ships really are planetoids then they should be nearly the size of our moon, not the size of one of our cities.
Alright maybe I'm griping too much here, but the size of the Dominator ships just seems too small to me.

And here we come to the game design portion of the writing process; that is, the part where the author's vision has to be tempered and shaped so that the people who end up playing his material in their regular RPG session actually have fun. You want to fight a Dominator vessel that's the size of our moon? Well, that might sound cool at first glance, until you do some math. See, the Moon is roughly 1086 miles across, or 36 times as big as the Dominator's ships. So take the Star Fort as presented in Fleets, and multiply it's MDC by 36.

I'll save you the trouble: it would have 720 million megadamage. While we're at it then, we should increase everything about it by a factor of 36... so its main weapons now do 2D6x36 million MDC per shot with a range of over 7 million miles, and its temporal shielding is a bubble more than 10,000 miles deep. It can bombard your planet into dust from outside lunar orbit, wipe out your entire armada before you can do a single thing, and is able to withstand the impact of 300,000 anti-matter torpedos... sorry, make that 600,000 torpedos because it takes half damage from kinetic attacks.

So... everyone dies in a flash of light, and the Player Characters couldn't do jack to stop it. The end. Did you enjoy that encounter? Aren't you glad you spent $20 bucks on that sourcebook?

Of course not, because it was neither fun nor fair. By making the Dominator ships the size of an asteroid, defeating them becomes a tough but do-able proposition: the crowning achievement for a group of PC's and an epic capper to a memorable campaign. A vessel 30 miles across is deliberate, as is the damage and range of all their weapon systems and special features. It is most certainly NOT a discrepancy. Of course, you can alter the stat line all you wish to fulfil the wants and needs of your local gaming group. From a writer's position however, there's not a thing wrong with it.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

My bad :o , I just thought that 30mi. diameter was too small. You are correct in the definition of of a planetoid.
Braden Campbell

Oh, it's no problem. As I say, you can make them bigger if you really want to... but between their extreme ranged weapons, resistance to missile attacks, and the dibilitating effets of the temporal shielding, they should be quite challenging enough.
Braden, GMPhD

keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Braden Campbell wrote:Oh, it's no problem. As I say, you can make them bigger if you really want to... but between their extreme ranged weapons, resistance to missile attacks, and the dibilitating effets of the temporal shielding, they should be quite challenging enough.

I agree, they are tough. Am I right to assume that you need whole fleets to take them on (that's what your writing implies).
The damages all make sense for once (thank the gods), and even vampires aren't totally immune (Yes, finally!!! :roll: ). Upon reading it my mind initially flashed to Weber's Dahak, that's why I thought it a discrepancy. (Bowing repeatedly, begging for forgiveness from the master :P )
Honestly it looks and reads REALLY awesome!!!
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

Braden Campbell wrote:Oh, it's no problem. As I say, you can make them bigger if you really want to... but between their extreme ranged weapons, resistance to missile attacks, and the debilitating effects of the temporal shielding, they should be quite challenging enough.

hey do you think a SDF3 can blow the Dominator ships with its main Gun ?
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

ZINO wrote:
Braden Campbell wrote:Oh, it's no problem. As I say, you can make them bigger if you really want to... but between their extreme ranged weapons, resistance to missile attacks, and the debilitating effects of the temporal shielding, they should be quite challenging enough.

hey do you think a SDF3 can blow the Dominator ships with its main Gun ?

I would say yes, the rules do state that the main cannon destroys everything in its path, regardless of MDC . Also since the range of the the particle beams exceeds the radius of the Star Fortress' shields the ships crew is unaffected by the temporal effects of the shields.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Hey Braden, not to nit pick too much, but since you are dealing with a three dimensional object, if you increase the diameter by 36 times, doesn't that increase the volume and the mass (and by reasonable extension the MDC, power available for weapons and similar) by 36[sup]3[/sup] or 46656 times instead of just 36 times?

Isn't math fun?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Jefffar wrote:Hey Braden, not to nit pick too much, but since you are dealing with a three dimensional object, if you increase the diameter by 36 times, doesn't that increase the volume and the mass (and by reasonable extension the MDC, power available for weapons and similar) by 36[sup]3[/sup] or 46656 times instead of just 36 times?

Isn't math fun?

Good gods! :shock:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

indeed, if it has 36x the diamter, which means it's volume would go up by 36^3, or 46656x. so all the MDC and weapon damage should actually go up by 46656x...

which actually makes Braden's point more pertinent, i think....

as much as i'd love to have Dahak in phase world, a moon sized ship is the near ultimate in munch. (the ultimate of course being the starship Tengan Toppan Gurran Lagaan......which in ddition to it's absurd size, is literally made from pure awesome....)
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Even at the size it is there should be a tremendous amount of available apace within the smaller internal sphere. Or at least you'd think there should be.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Braden Campbell

Jefffar wrote:Hey Braden, not to nit pick too much, but since you are dealing with a three dimensional object, if you increase the diameter by 36 times, doesn't that increase the volume and the mass (and by reasonable extension the MDC, power available for weapons and similar) by 36[sup]3[/sup] or 46656 times instead of just 36 times?

Isn't math fun?

Heh.

Read the comment under my avatar.
8-)
Braden, GMPhD

keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:indeed, if it has 36x the diamter, which means it's volume would go up by 36^3, or 46656x. so all the MDC and weapon damage should actually go up by 46656x...

which actually makes Braden's point more pertinent, i think....

as much as i'd love to have Dahak in phase world, a moon sized ship is the near ultimate in munch. (the ultimate of course being the starship Tengan Toppan Gurran Lagaan......which in ddition to it's absurd size, is literally made from pure awesome....)

Not if the game is already set at that level w/proper countermeasures. You'd have to seriously upgrade PW standards to compensate, which, depending on your point of veiw, might or might not be fun.
The GM I currently run w/ uses physics in his games so now I find myself applying the same standards to Palladiums works and finding "differences".
Case in point; In a rifter someone published a CS balloon recon drone that used "vacuum" as a lifting agent stating that vacuum was lighter than air, the balloon recon drone is a great idea (it was stealthed), but the vacuum part I had to nitpick.
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

I dunno guys, my girlfriend says 30 miles is pretty small... But I keep telling her it's not the size the matters. So, this may be a debate that is never settled.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

MaxxSterling wrote:I dunno guys, my girlfriend says 30 miles is pretty small... But I keep telling her it's not the size the matters. So, this may be a debate that is never settled.

:nh:
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Aramanthus
Monk

But when you make that 30 miles a sphere it becomes something else entirely. There is room for so much it's not funny. It might appear small but that space within in tremendously bigger that any being 30 feet tall and smaller.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Braden Campbell

More than 63,000 cubic miles, unless my math is totally screwed. It is 7:30 in morning , after all.
Braden, GMPhD

azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Aramanthus wrote:But when you make that 30 miles a sphere it becomes something else entirely. There is room for so much it's not funny. It might appear small but that space within in tremendously bigger that any being 30 feet tall and smaller.

If it is 30 miles in diameter you get 10602 cubic miles.

(1/2 diameter)^3 * 3.14.

Either way, a ridiculous amount of volume. 1.56 quadillion cubic feet.

Average single family home in the US = 18,400 cubic feet of living space (2,300 sq-ft and 8ft high for an average ceiling). That means the volume of the Dominator sphere is more then the equivelent to 84 billion (average) single family homes.

So, likely more then all of the enclosed space in all of the buildings in the entire (real Earth) world.

I'd say the Dominators have room to streach their legs and maybe put in that 834,623rd guest bathroom they were thinking of.
-Matt
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

azazel1024 wrote:
Aramanthus wrote:But when you make that 30 miles a sphere it becomes something else entirely. There is room for so much it's not funny. It might appear small but that space within in tremendously bigger that any being 30 feet tall and smaller.

If it is 30 miles in diameter you get 10602 cubic miles.

(1/2 diameter)^3 * 3.14.

Either way, a ridiculous amount of volume. 1.56 quadillion cubic feet.

Average single family home in the US = 18,400 cubic feet of living space (2,300 sq-ft and 8ft high for an average ceiling). That means the volume of the Dominator sphere is more then the equivelent to 84 billion (average) single family homes.

So, likely more then all of the enclosed space in all of the buildings in the entire (real Earth) world.

I'd say the Dominators have room to streach their legs and maybe put in that 834,623rd guest bathroom they were thinking of.
-Matt

(Sound of me running, screaming in terror!!!!) I just finished this semesters introductory algebra class(after not using it for 20 plus years). But, yes, a huge amount of volume, Braden really did outdo himself (and possibly even Kevin).
Aramanthus
Monk

Thanks for the math guys. Looks great. As I was infering, there should be plenty of space for whatever the Dominator wants to carry within his starfortress.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

azazel1024 wrote:If it is 30 miles in diameter you get 10602 cubic miles.
(....)

While the calculation is right, I have to remind you, that the "inner core" is "just" 10 miles in diameter.

Of course it is still huge enough, about the volume of 14400 (FOURTEEN THOUSAND and a bit more) Packmaster carriers.

ADios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

True, but it doesn't say in the description that nothing is in the outer shell. I'd imagine there is quite a bit in the outer shell and between the outer shell and the inner core still. A lot is empty void, but plenty is used for other things (heat exchangers, weapons blisters, sensors, etc).
-Matt
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

azazel1024 wrote:True, but it doesn't say in the description that nothing is in the outer shell.

Yepp, actually it states that the outer shell is a mile thick. And since blasting a rather large hole into it
is relatively easy (ie. a few shots from a cruiser's main gun - ie. 7500 MD), I do not think that even that
one mile is just solid armour plate.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

KLM wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:True, but it doesn't say in the description that nothing is in the outer shell.

Yepp, actually it states that the outer shell is a mile thick. And since blasting a rather large hole into it
is relatively easy (ie. a few shots from a cruiser's main gun - ie. 7500 MD), I do not think that even that
one mile is just solid armour plate.

Adios
KLM

so the dominator's star-fort is basically protected by "The Mother of all Whipple Shiled's"? :lol:
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

That is an interesting idea on what that represents GB2098. But that core has so much room that you can store virtually anything that a Dominator could use against any population of a planet or ship that happens to end up in the path of the Star fortress.

HH....FIE
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Braden Campbell wrote:
keir451 wrote:OK, Fleets of the Three galaxies is just released and I've already found a discrepancy.

No you haven't. A discrepancy is a mistake or inconsistency. What you have found is the author's deliberate choice to not make the Dominator ships totally unassailable by Player Characters.

keir451 wrote:The Dominator ships are described as "planetoid sized vessels"...

Indeed they are. A planetoid, as defined by the International Astronomical Union is any object that is not a planet or a dwarf planet. In the good old days, such things were also called "asteroids"... a perfect example of which is 253 Mathilde (and behold... it's 30 miles across).

keir451 wrote:30 miles isn't even a long drive. If these ships really are planetoids then they should be nearly the size of our moon, not the size of one of our cities.

And here we come to the game design portion of the writing process; that is, the part where the author's vision has to be tempered and shaped so that the people who end up playing his material in their regular RPG session actually have fun. You want to fight a Dominator vessel that's the size of our moon? Well, that might sound cool at first glance, until you do some math. See, the Moon is roughly 1086 miles across, or 36 times as big as the Dominator's ships. So take the Star Fort as presented in Fleets, and multiply it's MDC by 36.

I'll save you the trouble: it would have 720 million megadamage. While we're at it then, we should increase everything about it by a factor of 36... so its main weapons now do 2D6x36 million MDC per shot with a range of over 7 million miles, and its temporal shielding is a bubble more than 10,000 miles deep. It can bombard your planet into dust from outside lunar orbit, wipe out your entire armada before you can do a single thing, and is able to withstand the impact of 300,000 anti-matter torpedos... sorry, make that 600,000 torpedos because it takes half damage from kinetic attacks.

So... everyone dies in a flash of light, and the Player Characters couldn't do jack to stop it. The end. Did you enjoy that encounter? Aren't you glad you spent $20 bucks on that sourcebook?

Of course not, because it was neither fun nor fair. By making the Dominator ships the size of an asteroid, defeating them becomes a tough but do-able proposition: the crowning achievement for a group of PC's and an epic capper to a memorable campaign. A vessel 30 miles across is deliberate, as is the damage and range of all their weapon systems and special features. It is most certainly NOT a discrepancy. Of course, you can alter the stat line all you wish to fulfil the wants and needs of your local gaming group. From a writer's position however, there's not a thing wrong with it.

I think the real issue is, for most of us who object, we think that "Flash of light, everyone dies" SHOULD BE what happens if you try to attack one head-on. We sort of pictured them as the kind of thing the only way to manage is to sneak inside and sabatoge the reactor core or some similar "Blow it up internally" gig. That, or have the entire galatic fleet called up to actually shoot a million missles at it. either work.

You can say you don't like that as a writer, and your entitled to that, certaintly, but personally, I think you shouldn't have even mentioned the dominator ships--because doing them in a way that leaves everyone happy is completely impossible, you should have left it up to everyone's imaginations and not created a baseline.

That's the problem with baselines--everyone has their own ideas of how one should have approached the Dominators, and now you've set an arbitary baseline of your own that's in direct conflict of most people's visions.

When they were statless, everyone was happy. Now, you've made a lot of people unhappy and gained...nothing.

Honeslty, why did you feel you had to do anything with them? Dominator ships didn't have stats origionally because they don't NEED them. They're the size of a large moon or small planet, either you can kill one or you can't--that's good enough for the origional author, why wasn't that good enough for you? what have you gained by making so many fans angry?

You fixed what wasn't broken, and for no reason I can decipher.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

I think the real issue is, for most of us who object, we think that "Flash of light, everyone dies" SHOULD BE what happens if you try to attack one head-on. We sort of pictured them as the kind of thing the only way to manage is to sneak inside and sabatoge the reactor core or some similar "Blow it up internally" gig. That, or have the entire galatic fleet called up to actually shoot a million missles at it. either work.

so load their outer hull with a few hundred thousand silos holding these babies and call it good.....

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

And it is only guidelines. So you say that most the Dominators operate a starfortress this size, but there can be some that exceed the stated size. I'm not angry with Braden, not at all.

HH....FIE
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

The Temporal Shielding don't stop weapons fire from hitting or damaging.
Aramanthus
Monk

That is very true GT! Good point.

HH....FIE
avollant
Wanderer
Comment: "Governments don't make mistakes; they encounter delays and setbacks!

Unread post by avollant »

The Dominator ships are described as "planetoid sized vessels"... The Star Wars Death Star was originally mistaken for a moon, yet its dimensions are placed at 120 Kilometers in diameter that's over 74 MILES in diameter, over twice the size of a Dominator ship, Pluto's moon Charon is estimated at over 700 miles in diameter. How can a ship only 30 miles in diameter be called a planetoid when it is SMALLER than even Pluto or Ceres.
30 miles isn't even a long drive. If these ships really are planetoids then they should be nearly the size of our moon, not the size of one of our cities.

Anyone else have any thoughts regarding this?

Re: Braden Campbell's later post to this thread, I retract the above statement.

It doesn't have to be "that" big!!!!! In a german Sci-fi serie named Perry Rhodan (the longest running sci-fi books in the world); Everything is gigantic! At one point (where I am currently reading) Univers-Class Battleship of 3.2 km in diameter where common and armed with enough firepower to lay waste to dozen solar systems. At one point, the Heroes came across a race who use small 100 meters spaceships called Dolan. One would think that with a fleet of battleship vs. a small Dolan, the Solar Empire would have a field day in dispatching the ennemy????

WRONG! That single Dolan managed to nearly whipout the heroes has it appeared to be equipped with some unparable offencive/defencive system... As the story progress the readers quickly discover that the enemy had a whole fleet of this ships and the the Solar empire bited far more than they could chew.

Use the same principles for the Dominator Ships but adjust it to your players' level so that their mission stay within their possibilities.
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

Some thing I posted in a related thread.

How come no one had the idea of modifying a ghost fighter or a Phase ship with TW inviso superior and imperv to energy and flying through the hull of a Dominator's Star Fortress, as they don't have shields, and deposit a hit team to kill the Dominator inside? It would be a suicide mission but it would save million or billions or trillions of lives! Well unless you had some one with a Dimensional Telelport or Open Rift scroll or some thing in the assault party.
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

HEY! Will you guys quiet down! I'm trying to make-up illogical physics to make my game totally non-functional....
and YOU people are ruining it! (besides, my players may be listening in....)

:o
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Hi there!

GT wrote:Some thing I posted in a related thread.
How come no one had the idea of modifying a ghost fighter or a Phase ship with TW inviso superior and imperv to energy and flying through the hull of a Dominator's Star Fortress, as they don't have shields, and deposit a hit team to kill the Dominator inside? It would be a suicide mission but it would save million or billions or trillions of lives! Well unless you had some one with a Dimensional Telelport or Open Rift scroll or some thing in the assault party.

I guess even an "off the shelf" (yeah, right :lol: ) Cosmo Knight is enough to ruin a day of a Dominator.

And of course they are somewhat "magically challenged" to say so.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

Tell your players not to read certain topics.

HH....FIE
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

Well another easy way to kill a Dominator ship is have some coverted TW shadow bolt fighters, impervious to energy remember, and imprison in them some of the largest types of air elementles. And then get enough ships with mass drivers. Send the converted fighters to the surface, do some attack to draw out that dang plasma field is important. The fighters will be immune to it. Then RELEASE the elementles so they give the planet an temporary atmosphere! So with the well timed mass drivers firing they will do 500,000 to 2 million points of damage per hit due to the atmosphere! Damage is 1d4 million divided by 2 for the Dominator armor effects. Or an TW mass driver that summons big earth elementles and throws them at the start fortress for the effect of a mass driver is another alternative. Or just makes big rocks so no need for ammo or some thing like that. That's all it takes.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

GT wrote:Well another easy way to kill a Dominator ship is have some coverted TW shadow bolt fighters, impervious to energy remember, and imprison in them some of the largest types of air elementles. And then get enough ships with mass drivers. Send the converted fighters to the surface, do some attack to draw out that dang plasma field is important. The fighters will be immune to it. Then RELEASE the elementles so they give the planet an temporary atmosphere! So with the well timed mass drivers firing they will do 500,000 to 2 million points of damage per hit due to the atmosphere! Damage is 1d4 million divided by 2 for the Dominator armor effects. Or an TW mass driver that summons big earth elementles and throws them at the start fortress for the effect of a mass driver is another alternative. Or just makes big rocks so no need for ammo or some thing like that. That's all it takes.

And...where did you get that a handful of air elementals could give an atmosphere to something that large?

Futhermore, Atmosphere decreases damage from Asteroids by burning some off, not increasing it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
GT wrote:Well another easy way to kill a Dominator ship is have some coverted TW shadow bolt fighters, impervious to energy remember, and imprison in them some of the largest types of air elementles. And then get enough ships with mass drivers. Send the converted fighters to the surface, do some attack to draw out that dang plasma field is important. The fighters will be immune to it. Then RELEASE the elementles so they give the planet an temporary atmosphere! So with the well timed mass drivers firing they will do 500,000 to 2 million points of damage per hit due to the atmosphere! Damage is 1d4 million divided by 2 for the Dominator armor effects. Or an TW mass driver that summons big earth elementles and throws them at the start fortress for the effect of a mass driver is another alternative. Or just makes big rocks so no need for ammo or some thing like that. That's all it takes.

And...where did you get that a handful of air elementals could give an atmosphere to something that large?

Futhermore, Atmosphere decreases damage from Asteroids by burning some off, not increasing it.

It should be easy for the UWW to rustle a few up or the Splugorth could capture some! Should be easy for them! And given the mass driver damage system is its 1d4x1 million with a planet with an atmosphere and 1d6x1000 for damage in plain vacuum.

I mean doing the simple Modified Phase Fighter carrying a strike team to inside the Dominator, or just one rigged as a big Anti-matter carrying bomb to unphase and blow up by the Dominator is just so to easy to do! Or the Kreegor making more of those phase missile guided destroyers that could possibly pop out inside the Dominator ship and cut loose with its deadly payload. The coordinated use of mass drivers and properly timed large scale elemental releases is more fun!
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

GT wrote:Well another easy way to kill a Dominator ship is have some coverted TW shadow bolt fighters,

Actually, a Dwarven Iron ship's chief TW engineer could make her Impervious to Energy AND Invisible (superior, no
less), sneak up on the Dominator then fire the Rift Canon on it.

With some luck, it will make the Dominator "someone else's problem" in a different dimension.

If not, blow a hole into the outer shell with the flame cannons, launch a salvo of Bottled Demons
into it, then sit back and enjoy the show. Well, maybe raise that Invisibility again first, just to be
sure.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

KLM wrote:
GT wrote:Well another easy way to kill a Dominator ship is have some coverted TW shadow bolt fighters,

Actually, a Dwarven Iron ship's chief TW engineer could make her Impervious to Energy AND Invisible (superior, no
less), sneak up on the Dominator then fire the Rift Canon on it.

With some luck, it will make the Dominator "someone else's problem" in a different dimension.

If not, blow a hole into the outer shell with the flame cannons, launch a salvo of Bottled Demons
into it, then sit back and enjoy the show. Well, maybe raise that Invisibility again first, just to be
sure.

Adios
KLM

Oh that is a great idea for a harassing lone ship to do. If its Impervious to energy works against the big guns of the Dominator fortress it could fire its guns and damage the start fortress's weaponry. I figured the Imperv to Energy would be needed to deal with the Plasma Shock Wave it has for defense. And rifting opening and sending it away us a great idea! Also open rift it's half way through then CLOSE it and slice that bugger in half open! Then sit back and watch what happens! Apply the Iron Ship's fire power where needed. Well if you can get the rift that big that is. Great Idea KLM!
Braden Campbell

"Cosmic Energy", will be stopped by the Impervious to Energy spell. However, it will inflict 1/2 damage to vampires, and full damage to beings affected only by magical energy (werecreatures, ghosts, elementals, ect.)

Cosmo-Knights take no damage from Cosmic Energy (even though Fleets states at one point that they take 1/100th damage). Just as Fire Elementals cannot be harmed by flames, the Knights cannot be hurt by the energy that created and sustains them. So, really, if a Dominator shows up in your stellar neighbourhood, your best hope is for a cadre of CK's to be hot on their heels.
Braden, GMPhD

GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

Braden Campbell wrote:"Cosmic Energy", will be stopped by the Impervious to Energy spell. However, it will inflict 1/2 damage to vampires, and full damage to beings affected only by magical energy (werecreatures, ghosts, elementals, ect.)

Cosmo-Knights take no damage from Cosmic Energy (even though Fleets states at one point that they take 1/100th damage). Just as Fire Elementals cannot be harmed by flames, the Knights cannot be hurt by the energy that created and sustains them. So, really, if a Dominator shows up in your stellar neighbourhood, your best hope is for a cadre of CK's to be hot on their heels.

Whoot! A new way to assault Star Fortresses! Sure its expensive getting a ship impervious to energy. Probably best have a temporary one for tech ships with an add on Mystic Generator or a battery of PPE clips in charge it up with a smaller mystic generator to recharge the batteries. But given the cost of "Doing it the Old Way!" of sending thousands of ship to their doom its well worth the expense!

I bet the techno smithies or dwarven ship engineers (magical trained ones) could work together with some other UWW spell lore masters and come up with a way to counter the temporal shielding field the Star Fortress has!
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Hey Braden, How do the Dominators manage to fire Anit-hydrogen w/out blowing themselves up, as they have no apparent containment devices for the stuff?
Slightly amusing (but completly useless idea IMO) on the Anti Tachyon Telephone.
The book was OK overall, I'm happy to have the info. but the Macross II Deckplans books were/are still of greater use to me, esp. as quite a few of those ships (yes even the U.N. Spacy ones) could GUT a Three Galaxies ship (dependant upon personal opinion admittedly).
Braden Campbell

keir451 wrote: How do the Dominators manage to fire Anit-hydrogen w/out blowing themselves up, as they have no apparent containment devices for the stuff?

Who says they don't? The Dominators are an Elder Race whose technology is about a million years ahead of any one else's currently. I'm certain that they have a few safety features in place to contain the anti-hydrogen.

Slightly amusing (but completly useless idea IMO) on the Anti Tachyon Telephone.

Shame you think so. It's one of my personal favourite plot hooks. Also, it provided enough intrigue to keep my Phase World crew running around adventuring for three years.
Braden, GMPhD

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Bradon, in your view, can Individual dominators learn magic?

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Braden Campbell wrote:Shame you think so. It's one of my personal favourite plot hooks. Also, it provided enough intrigue to keep my Phase World crew running around adventuring for three years.

It's Technobabble. Some people like plot hooks that deal with nothing but, others prefer somewhat more understandable goals.

Personally, I find it about the same as those Haromic Resonance Communicators in Anvil or Three Galaxies (I forget which). A good plot hook for someone who wants to use them, but essentially meaningless on their own.

keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Braden Campbell wrote:
keir451 wrote: How do the Dominators manage to fire Anit-hydrogen w/out blowing themselves up, as they have no apparent containment devices for the stuff?

Who says they don't? The Dominators are an Elder Race whose technology is about a million years ahead of any one else's currently. I'm certain that they have a few safety features in place to contain the anti-hydrogen.

Shame you think so. It's one of my personal favourite plot hooks. Also, it provided enough intrigue to keep my Phase World crew running around adventuring for three years.

Just used to things like containment fields being spelled out, not left to chance or interpretation, as a plot device the Anti Tachyon is OK, but as you said are they really getting messages from the future and what effect is it really having on the current time continuum?
Maybe the're just setting them selves up for a fall?
Again kudos on the effort and info, tho' I might change some it for my games, the book was well worth the purchase.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Braden Campbell wrote: By making the Dominator ships the size of an asteroid, defeating them becomes a tough but do-able proposition:

I don't think it should be do-able.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Darkorinth wrote:
Dr. Doom III wrote:
Braden Campbell wrote: By making the Dominator ships the size of an asteroid, defeating them becomes a tough but do-able proposition:

I don't think it should be do-able.

So what should the players do when one shows up? Bend over and kiss their rears goodbye?

The only realistic reason (to me) to have stats for a ship like the dominator ship is so that you can base a game around finding a way to deal with it. It doesn't have to be an easy or safe way by any means. If it just going to be something that is automatically impossible then all the entry really needs to read is "More bad@ss than all of you put togather."

I think it is fine as is other than lookin way too much like certain battlestation by another company.... :)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”