Does damage spill over?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Does damage spill over?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Yes.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Slaughterbath wrote:If you attack someone and the damage is enough to remove all of the opponents S.D.C and there is still damage left over does it subtract from H.P?

If the Normal Damage is greater then the SDC left, then the remainder of the ND is taken off the HP score.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
GMDijarian
Explorer

Unread post by GMDijarian »

but this does not apply to armor, correct?

If the damage is so much it destroys the armor, it does not continue to personal SDC/HP?

Is this right?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If the damage is so much it destroys the armor, the damage does continue to personal SDC/HP.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Yeah, it spills over to the character if the armor is destroyed, and sometimes I tack on extra damage if it is armor that can splinter or cut into the character.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

The damage is applied and applied, until there is nothing left to apply it to.

If an armor-wearing character takes a large amount of damage, which hits the AR, it will affect the Armor first, then character SDC, then hitpoints, then PE points below zero, until the character is completely dead. Only after it's gone through all that do you stop counting it.

Example:

Bob has 20 hit points, 30 SDC, armor with 25 SDC, and has a P.E. of 12.

Bob gets hit below the armor's AR for 62 points of damage, on a critical strike from a very angry dragon.

Armor is now at 0, and 37 points of damage remain. SDC is next, and is also reduced to 0, and 7 points of damage still remain. Hit points are dropped to 13 before the damage is done being counted.

On the next attack, Bob is struck again for 28. The 13 hit points are gone, putting bob in a coma, but 15 points of damage are left. Bob has 12 P.E. points, representing the 12 hitpoints below zero he can survive until while in a coma. The 15 extra points of damage wipe those out, and the final 3 points of damage are not counted - there is nothing left to count against, and Bob is well and truly dead.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

Alas poor Bob.. I knew him well...

Well not really.
GMDijarian
Explorer

UR Leader Hobbes wrote:Alas poor Bob.. I knew him well...

Well not really.

So who's going to stop the angry dragon,now that Bob has been vanquished?
GMDijarian
Explorer

Stormchild wrote:Can I have Bob's boots? They look comfortable, and just about my size. :-D

yeah..im sure bob flew out of them, the last time the dragon hit him. :lol:
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Well I am glad Bob's dead. I never liked the look of him. Shifty if you ask me.

For damage, the only thing that doesn't spill over is in the advanced setting of rifts, etc with forcefields, then only a tiny amount of the damage can spill over if it exceeds the force fields damage capacity.

I also allow final actions, etc for the balance of the melee round (at least a single action) but with some hefty penalties (-5 to everything), afterall the character is in extreme pain and on death's door step. I also interestingly enough allow the 'quick healing', but I simply leave it as they have to be healed before the end of the melee round or on the first action of the next round if this round is basically caput (IE the only healer is out of actions or something).

I break both of my 'rules' if it seems appropriate. IE A fire dragon just roasted Dave with 46 points of damage on a critical breath attack and Dave only had 10 hitpoints left. Not going to be much more then a pile of cinders to heal in that case.
-Matt
GMDijarian
Explorer

azazel1024 wrote:Well I am glad Bob's dead. I never liked the look of him. Shifty if you ask me.

For damage, the only thing that doesn't spill over is in the advanced setting of rifts, etc with forcefields, then only a tiny amount of the damage can spill over if it exceeds the force fields damage capacity.

I also allow final actions, etc for the balance of the melee round (at least a single action) but with some hefty penalties (-5 to everything), afterall the character is in extreme pain and on death's door step. I also interestingly enough allow the 'quick healing', but I simply leave it as they have to be healed before the end of the melee round or on the first action of the next round if this round is basically caput (IE the only healer is out of actions or something).

I break both of my 'rules' if it seems appropriate. IE A fire dragon just roasted Dave with 46 points of damage on a critical breath attack and Dave only had 10 hitpoints left. Not going to be much more then a pile of cinders to heal in that case.
-Matt

So now both Bob and Dave are dead. This dragon is angry!!
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

*goes through Bob's pockets..."
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Hmm, critical dragon clawswipe across the torso...

I'm going to have to rule that Bob's shirt is in rags. As cools as it was, it now lacks the panache it once had.

Glad to see my example was such a hit :lol:
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
DarkwingDuk
Wanderer

Unread post by DarkwingDuk »

Fine, you have all looted bob's corpse, but how far are you going to get with the POed Dragon still standing there?
“Illinois Nazis, I hate Illinois Nazis”
“Ummm boB isn’t that a Coalition squad?"
“Like I said, Illinois Nazi’s…….”
boB the Crazy
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Go tick off another dragon and lure it back to this one's lair? Let them fight it out, then take down the obviously weakened victor. Of course, a weak dragon is still more than match enough for folks like Bob and Dave. By the way, has anyone taken Bob's weapons? If not, they're mine.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Oh and as an alternative I do allow my players to dodge behind another character (PC, NPC, not in their group, etc). I play it as a 'mini melee round' with the person attempting to dodge behind the character rolling initiative against the shield character. If the shield wins they can attempt to roll a dodge of their own to 'get out of the way' of the 'hiding' character/not get in the path of the attack coming for that hiding character (rolled vs the hiding characters dodge roll). If they fail the initiative roll they get no dodge.

I only do it if it makes sense. IE that fire dragon goes for Mike because Mike insulted the Fire Dragon's father ("Your father was a nightstalker!"), well Mike is standing right next to Dave so he tries to use Dave as a shield by hiding behind him. He rolls a succesful dodge against the breath attack and Dave failed his initiative roll against Mikes initiative roll. Dave didn't even see it coming.

Of course, since there was damage spill over Mike lost his eyebrows to the tune of 23 points of damage (Dave had 10hp left plus 13 PE points, so taking him down to -13 and instant death took 23 of the 46 points of damage). Fortunately for Mike he had good sturdy leather armor on and a lot of life left.

He grabs Dave's fire proof money sack on his mad dash out of the cave.

Did I mention Mike is a bigger ass then Dave?
-Matt

PS I typically allow players to use this for things like "The Orc just shot a cross bow bolt at you from the bushes. Thankfully you saw him before he launched it at you so you have a chance to dodge. Do you want to try to block it with your shield? Try to jump out of the way? Or do you want to try to block it with that nice looking diabolically evil Goblin 'emissary' who now has obviously been trying to delay you long enough for his bandit buddies to sneak up on you???"

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”