Tombs of Gersidi - Specific Location?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: Tombs of Gersidi - Specific Location?

Unread post by Natasha »

Anywhere you want it to be. :)

It seems to me though when we ran it we tried to keep it as remote as possible where they could be as many legends about it as facts about it.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Northern or Western Timiro. It's adjacent to a pass through the Old Kingdom Mountains (since Gersidi Pass was held against inhuman forces), and is oriented North-South, which makes it most likely that its Timiro.

In fact, if you've got Old Ones, using the "Monster Invasion" scenario makes a good intro to this... Gersidi pass is a great place for them to come through, and that would give the party a chance to play hide-and-go-seek with ogres amongst the surface buildings.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

All that is clearly shown/stated from the original adventure materials is that it is in the Old Kingdom Mountains, where they seperate the Timiro Kingdom from the Old Kingdom. At the time the adventure was written, there were no more specific details on that area in existence, so it wasn't necessary to be too preceise.

The simple solution:

By currently available information, it seems the most likely location is Ibera's Mountain Pass (between Fort Bext and Fort Ibera). Castle Instax and the Marquest Gate can be represented/manned by the "quite old" Fort Bext, and the pass itself is described as "ancient," with Fort Ibera being an old abandoned set of Dwarven ruins. This pass is the most accessible to the narrowest points of the Old Kingdom River, overwhich the majority of the refugees the Gersidis purported to be helping would have come, to reach one of the North-South passes. Assuming a North-justification on the Tombs of Gersidi area map, there are just two passes that would fit the bill (the other being the "Ogre" pass).

An alternate solution:

If you wish to tie a couple adventures together, there is another distinct possibility supported by circumstantial evidence.

Though it is not shown in the broader map of Timiro, there may be a pass connecting The Place of Magic at the crux of the Old Kingdom Mountains to the Timiro Kingdom beyond. That is a very narrow place in the mountains, due to the valley in which The Haunted Forest is found. Indeed, if one follows the maps provided for The Place of Magic, one will find that a thin mountain pass does indeed continue beyond the Place, up in to the mountains Northwesterly. If one looks at the area map for the Tombs of Gersidi, one will notice that there is no directional key indicating that it is a North-justified map - this is simply inferred by the North-justification of the world map. Looking closely at the rectangle marking the zoom area, one finds that it's shape suggests the larger map below may infact be West-justified, lining it up quite handily with the unnamed mountain pass from The Place of Magic.

Considering the geopolitical situation - refugees fleeing from the purges of the Old Kingdom, it's entirely likely that they would have been coming from the West. West is where the biggest cities of the Elven empire were located, and the mountains would have acted as a funnel towards this pass. Why go up and around, a journey of many thousands more miles, if there is a direct route? The evil of the you-know-what at The Place of Magic could certainly account for the corruption of the souls of the Gersidi, setting up residence nearby with good intentions, and then turning to evil. Also, the maps do indicate a tributary of the Old Kingdom River that flows from out of the valley, a possible connection to/from the ancient, now diverted streambed that is followed in the mountains to find the tombs.

Of course, the real kicker would be finding something that tells us where Langer Mountain is, but I don't think that's been published.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Anyone need the second edition upgrade that, I believe, Mephisto came up with? If so, I still have it and will share. Just drop me a PM with an e-mail address to send it to.

(If it wasn't Mephisto that did it, my apologies. My memory isn't what it used to be, unfortunately.)
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I agree with J Lionhart about the location. I've used that same location on numerous
occassions. What would love to see is 2nd edition conversions of those four monsters from the
Deathstone. Nasty even for 1st edition, very nasty if made to 2nd :eek: .
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Northern Ranger wrote:Anyone need the second edition upgrade that, I believe, Mephisto came up with? If so, I still have it and will share. Just drop me a PM with an e-mail address to send it to.

(If it wasn't Mephisto that did it, my apologies. My memory isn't what it used to be, unfortunately.)

I would love to have a copy of the 2nd Edition Upgrade! I would appreciate it, Ranger! :D
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Hey all, if you've requested a copy of this work... please PM again. I'm fighting a high fever and it's easy to lose track of what people have asked for or what I've sent out. Green Ghost, send me an e-mail address and I'll get it off to you!
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Kevin McIntyre
Wanderer
Comment: No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Unread post by Kevin McIntyre »

Not to bring about the resurrection of an old topic but I have searched and searched to find a copy of this to no avail. Any ideas? I can't even seem to find an old used copy of the 1st edition anywhere to even look at this adventure. It has piqued my interest and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could get my hands on said adventure.
When choosing the lesser of two evils, I pick the one I've never done before!
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll shoot you a copy revised for 2nd edition rules. It was done by the ever talented Entiago. He did a fantastic job on it. I've shared it with quite a few others here on the forums.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Kevin McIntyre
Wanderer
Comment: No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Unread post by Kevin McIntyre »

Northern Ranger wrote:PM me your e-mail address and I'll shoot you a copy revised for 2nd edition rules. It was done by the ever talented Entiago. He did a fantastic job on it. I've shared it with quite a few others here on the forums.

PM sent, done and done. Thank you sir.
When choosing the lesser of two evils, I pick the one I've never done before!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”