NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NMI
OLD ONE

Re: NEW POWERS!

Unread post by NMI »

Gryphon Chick wrote:Okay, then how about this:

Create Elemental Entity: Storm Cloud (Major)
"It looks like a storm is brewing."

The character creates an artificial cloud, from existing atmosphere around him, to use as a familiar by giving it self-awareness. The cloud will follow the character like a stray puppy. While the character can control it to an extent, it will act as it sees fit.
Range: The cloud is created at a maximum distance of 300 feet over the character's head, plus 30 feet per level. Size of the cloud is a diameter of 10 feet.
Duration: Concentration, up to a maximum time of 10 minutes per character level.
Damage:
*Lightning: The storm cloud will shoot lightning bolts which do 5d6 damage to a target at first level, plus 1d6 damage per character level. They can be shot for a distance of 600 feet, plus 100 feet per level. A close range shot on a flying character will do an additional +2d6 damage.
*Hail: It can also generate hailstones, affecting a 30 foot radius around the character. Damage from these is 3d6 at first level, plus 1d6 at levels 4, 8 and 12, per melee round.
* Rain: Range for this is the same as hail. Does no damage, but there is a 01-30% chance of slipping and falling if those moving through puddles are going beyond half their movement speed.
Attacks: The cloud is made a familiar by the character expending two melee attack/actions, and costs one action per round to maintain. The cloud itself will have five attacks with lightning per melee round, and can use one attack to begin and maintain rain or hailing effect.
Bonuses: The cloud has a +4 to attack with the lightning at level one, and another +1 at levels 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15.
Note that the cloud will take no damage if struck by flying opponents and will defend itself by whipping up wind to send them flying in the other direction for a minimum of 4d6 feet. The cloud is not large enough to affect any significant weather changes or generate high levels of wind.

Define "close range shot"?
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:Create Elemental Entity: Storm Cloud (Major)
"It looks like a storm is brewing."

The character creates an artificial cloud, from existing atmosphere around him, to use as a familiar by giving it self-awareness. The cloud will follow the character like a stray puppy. While the character can control it to an extent, it will act as it sees fit.

Define "close range shot"?

For the purposes of the power, a close-range shot would be anything under 6 feet from the cloud. I will edit te power to clarify this and add the penalty suggested by SG.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Gryphon Chick wrote:For the purposes of the power, a close-range shot would be anything under 6 feet from the cloud. I will edit te power to clarify this and add the penalty suggested by SG.

That seems a bit short. Why not make it 60 feet, plus 6 feet per level?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:For the purposes of the power, a close-range shot would be anything under 6 feet from the cloud. I will edit te power to clarify this and add the penalty suggested by SG.

That seems a bit short. Why not make it 60 feet, plus 6 feet per level?

*sigh* Okay, I'll edit it again.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Create Elemental Entity: Tornado (Major) by Stone Gargoyle

The character can generate an artificial tornado that is self-aware. It will follow the commands of the character generally,but may do as it sees fit.
Range: The tornado is created within a range of a maximum distance of 300 feet from the character, plus 30 feet per level of experience, and cannot move any further than that from the character.
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes per level of experience. The storm will disappear if the character loses concentration or is knocked unconscious.
Attacks: Uses 2 melee attacks/actions to create and one attack/action per melee round to maintain.
Movement Speed: The funnel cloud will move at a speed equal to the character's ME attribute number.
Damage: People 100 feet away from the tornado will take 1d6 damage from small flying debris, with an increase of 1d6 per 30 pounds of the debris weight, per melee round. The winds generated by the funnel cloud are 120 mph at level one, plus 10 mph at levels 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15, and debris thrown will have an additional +4 damage per 20 mph of wind speed. The funnel sucks in anything under its weight limit. Anything or anyone actually sucked into the spinning vortex takes 3d6X10 damage at level one, plus 1d6X10 damage at levels 4, 8 and 12, plus the additional wind speed damage, and is completely helpless (cannot attack, cast spells, or perform skills). After 1d6 melees, the person or object is hurled from the funnel and suffers 2d6X10 damage (any clothing or armor will take some of the damage before the person takes any). Those normally immune to physical or wind type attacks will take half damage from this force of nature. If a living creature or robot , the person will be stunned and immobile for 2d6 minutes.
Weight Limits: The funnel will pull in weight up to 10 times the wind speed generated.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Ok SG, here’s the revisited version:

Arctic Breath +Major+
"Here, let me cool you down."
The user is able to chill his breathe to freeze his enemies.
1. Energy Expulsion: Cold
The user can breathe out his super-chilled breathe from his mouth. Due to releasing it from the mouth, it cannot be divided.
Range: 300 feet
Damage: 2D6+1D6 per level of experience.
Duration: Instant
Attacks per Melee: Each attack counts as one action
2. Icicle Launch
The user can super-chill the moisture into icicles by inhaling and launches them with the force of harpoons by exhaling.
Range: 100 feet, plus 10 per level.
Damage: Three icicles that do 1D6, plus one 1D6 icicle at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15
Attacks per Melee: Twice per melee round.
3. Impervious to Cold and Freezing
Cold-based attacks do no damage to the character and magical cold-based attacks do only half damage.

So, does it pass?
Last edited by 89er on Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

89er wrote:Ok SG, here’s the revisited version:

Arctic Breath +Major+
The user can breathe out his super-chilled breathe from his mouth. Due to releasing it from the mouth, it cannot be divided.
Attacks per Melee: Once per melee round.
2. Icicle Launch
The user can super-chill the moisture into icicles by inhaling and launches them with the force of harpoons by exhaling.
Damage: Three icicles that do 1D6, plus one 1D6 icicle at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15
Cold-based attacks do no damage to the character and magical cold-based attacks do only half damage.

So, does it pass?

I am still confused as to why the energy expulsion attack can only be used once per melee round when it should only use one attack/action.
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
89er wrote:Ok SG, here’s the revisited version:

Arctic Breath +Major+
Attacks per Melee: Once per melee round.
2. Icicle Launch

So, does it pass?

I am still confused as to why the energy expulsion attack can only be used once per melee round when it should only use one attack/action.

Just reedited it.
Sorry, I'm still new to the game.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

89er wrote:Just reedited it.
Sorry, I'm still new to the game.

That's cool. Just, whenever possible, try and keep powers consistent with what is in the books.
willthetiger
D-Bee

Unread post by willthetiger »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Strength of the Titans (Major) by Stone Gargoyle
"Here, let me lift that."

The character can lift phenomenal weight when standing on earth that has not been covered by concrete or other artificial or man-made substances. In addition, he can lift objects made of earth of even greater weight.

1. Superhuman Strength: Same as the minor superability (HU2 main book, page 236).

2. Unearthly Lifting: The character has increased lifting ability with regard to lifting natural earth.
*When standing on open soil or natural rock, the character's strength is multiplied X50 for the purpose of lifting and carrying.
*If lifting objects made of stone or natural rock (including types of clay, marble, and slate), it is multiplied X100! Since this only applies to objects made of earth and rock, it will not function if anything non-mineral is touching the rock being lifted. It will also not lift anything made of processed metal ore, such as steel or gold bricks. Items lifted must be in their natural form for this power to take effect.

3. Other Abilities and Bonuses:
+2d4 PE
+1d4X10 SDC

Hey Stone Gargoyle,any chance of a power similar to this but without the limitation(the titan part)Just a superstrong character that can lift incredible weight(any,doent have to be as high as titan.Pretty much looking to make a super strong guy that doesnt bump into somebody and the damage bonus alone turns the person into goo.

Ty for anybody that can make this power for me
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

willthetiger wrote:Hey Stone Gargoyle,any chance of a power similar to this but without the limitation(the titan part)Just a superstrong character that can lift incredible weight(any,doent have to be as high as titan.Pretty much looking to make a super strong guy that doesnt bump into somebody and the damage bonus alone turns the person into goo.

So is all you want a major version of Lifting Field? I could potentially work something up. You could also use pretty much any gravity power to allow heavier lifting without the excessive damage.
willthetiger
D-Bee

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
willthetiger wrote:Hey Stone Gargoyle,any chance of a power similar to this but without the limitation(the titan part)Just a superstrong character that can lift incredible weight(any,doent have to be as high as titan.Pretty much looking to make a super strong guy that doesnt bump into somebody and the damage bonus alone turns the person into goo.

So is all you want a major version of Lifting Field? I could potentially work something up. You could also use pretty much any gravity power to allow heavier lifting without the excessive damage.

yup,and thank you for taking the time to come up with it.I really appreciate it.

Also thank you everyone for all the very cool powers on this forum,as well as the coolness of the vault
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Carrier (Major) by Stone Gargoyle
"Here, let me carry that."

The character can defy gravity by lifting extraordinary weights. He must be touching an item to do this and is unable to throw the item when using this power, nor is the power of his punches affected.
Bonuses: Add +3d6 to PS attribute roll.
Can carry 600 times his PS in pounds and can lift 1000 times!
Fatigues at half normal rate.
+6 to pull punch
Takes half damage from items dropped on him on a successful parry of the object.
Limitations: This does NOT affect leaping distance, throwing distance, or damage amount. The character still has normal strength as far as those things and CANNOT take any other strength category altering powers with this one. He must be touching the item to his skin to use the power, so he cannot be using any sort of gloves or protective clothing when lifting.
willthetiger
D-Bee

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Carrier (Major) by Stone Gargoyle
"Here, let me carry that."

The character can defy gravity by lifting extraordinary weights. He must be touching an item to do this and is unable to throw the item when using this power, nor is the power of his punches affected.
Bonuses: Add +3d6 to PS attribute roll.
Can carry 600 times his PS in pounds and can lift 1000 times!
Fatigues at half normal rate.
+6 to pull punch
Takes half damage from items dropped on him on a successful parry of the object.
Limitations: This does NOT affect leaping distance, throwing distance, or damage amount. The character still has normal strength as far as those things and CANNOT take any other strength category altering powers with this one. He must be touching the item to his skin to use the power, so he cannot be using any sort of gloves or protective clothing when lifting.

Nice thank you!!!
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

gmapprentice wrote:Meltdown (Minor Power)

The superbeing has the horrific power to melt their own body!!! The character melts their body over the course of two melees/ 30 seconds, turning into a 4-foot diameter pool of liquid and retaining their normal weight. The character appears to die, which has a Horror Factor of 15. In reality, the character is perfectly fine. They are entirely aware of their surroundings, within the limits of their senses. In liquid form the character has several benefits.
Has partial invulnerability, becoming immune to kinetic attacks, liquid attacks, explosions and gases. Cold and Freezing attacks inflict double the normal damage, though.
Radiates no heat and is therefore easier to hide.
The character is a liquid and can be stored in large containers, and does not need to breathe.
Penalties: the character cannot move themselves at all, and cannot act while this power is in use.

Duration: 6 minutes per level of experience.
Takes 2 melees to melt and reform the character.
Can also be used to affect 5 pounds of equipment per level of experience.
"I'm melting, I'm mellltttinggg... oh whata world what a world!"
I like it... And based on it's gruesome sounding fluff text, I'm thinking Iczer will too.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Blast Strike (minor) by Stone Gargoyle
"Hit 'em with all you've got."

This power is a kinetic type of energy expulsion. The difference with this, however, it that the character channels the energy over their body. It makes the character resistant to physical attacks (ignores first 5 points of physical strike damage and reduces damage by -25%) and adds damage to their physical strike hits.
Range: Touch
Duration: Always on.
Damage: +1d4 per level of experience is added to damage.
Attacks: As per normal physical strikes.
Bonuses: +2 to initiative, +2 to strike and parry.

Hitting Strength (minor) by Stone Gargoyle
"This should do some damage."

This power replaces the normal way damage is calculated for physical strikes.
Range: As physical strike, reach.
Damage: The character inflicts 1d6 damage per PS attribute point from punches and kicks, and 1d4 per PS point from other physical attacks (elbow, knee, head butt, etc.). The normal PS damage bonus does not apply to this damage.
Bonuses: +2 initiative, +2 strike and parry.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mega-Bite (minor) by Stone Gargoyle
"Tasty!

The jaw strength of the character is such that they can bite through most anything.
Range: As bite attack
Duration: Can lock jaws and hold an object in the teeth for their PS attribute number in minutes, plus one minute per level of experience. A Supernatural PS greater than the PS of the character is needed to pry the jaws loose.
Attacks: As per normal bite attack.
Damage: The jaws rip and dig into anything with an AR of 14 or less for 1d6X10+10 damage plus PS damage bonus, -1d6 for every AR point over 14. Holding the object in the jaws and biting down does 4d6 damage plus PS damage bonus, plus an additional +1d6 damage at levels 4, 8 and 12.
Penetration Value: The roll to strike treats the AR as if it were one point less at level one, with the roll needed going down an additional point at levels 4, 8 and 12.
SDC: The teeth add 20 points to the character's SDC and have an SDC of 25 needed to break them.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Steeler49er wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:Meltdown (Minor Power)

The superbeing has the horrific power to melt their own body!!! The character melts their body over the course of two melees/ 30 seconds, turning into a 4-foot diameter pool of liquid and retaining their normal weight. The character appears to die, which has a Horror Factor of 15. In reality, the character is perfectly fine. They are entirely aware of their surroundings, within the limits of their senses. In liquid form the character has several benefits.
Has partial invulnerability, becoming immune to kinetic attacks, liquid attacks, explosions and gases. Cold and Freezing attacks inflict double the normal damage, though.
Radiates no heat and is therefore easier to hide.
The character is a liquid and can be stored in large containers, and does not need to breathe.
Penalties: the character cannot move themselves at all, and cannot act while this power is in use.

Duration: 6 minutes per level of experience.
Takes 2 melees to melt and reform the character.
Can also be used to affect 5 pounds of equipment per level of experience.
"I'm melting, I'm mellltttinggg... oh whata world what a world!"
I like it... And based on it's gruesome sounding fluff text, I'm thinking Iczer will too.

*SLURRRPPPPP...*
"MMmmm......Superhero Shake, my favorite!"
...What happens when you get a superhero with Melt-Down with an Alien Invader with Consumption powers...
"Dude?....is there like a Horror Factor 18 or somethin', cause I REALLY gotta freak out after seeing that..."
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

Stone Gargoyle wrote: Hitting Strength (minor) by Stone Gargoyle

Damage: The character inflicts 1d6 damage per PS attribute point from punches and kicks, and 1d4 per PS point from other physical attacks (elbow, knee, head butt, etc.). The normal PS damage bonus does not apply to this damage.

first of all, i must say that i do like this ability a lot.
would it replace *all* bonuses to damage for their physical attacks, or just those from PS?
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The only thing I would absolutely replace would be the word "minor" with the word "major".
Even then it is high powered.
I would have the damage, as a major, to be 1d6 punch/kick [or +1d4 other] per (PS ÷ (15-level))

This would limit the damage the char could give out. Especially if the char has EXPS, SHPS, or SNPS, which the char would have a p.s. score in the 20's, 40's, 50's.

There is also the question does it works threw melee weapons.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Squaring Off (minor) by Stone Gargoyle
"I taught him a lesson fair and square."

The character generates a reality buffer which multiplies damage times itself.

Damage: The way it works is that the damage amount rolled for the character will serve as the square root of the damage taken by the opponent. So if a character rolls a 6 on a 1d6, the damage taken will be 36 (6X6). Likewise, if a 1 is rolled, it will do 1 point of damage (1X1). This is a reality distortion effect and affects ALL damage inflicted by the character that originates directly from him. Thus any physical attack, melee attack, weapon fired by personal interaction, or energy expulsion attack is affected.

Limitations:
1) It does not apply to damage inflicted by someone else ordered by the character but not directly enacted by him, nor does it apply to weapons electronically triggered, such as missile launchers or automated weapons, even if the character pushes the button to them on. It does apply to hand-held weapons, including grenades, as long as the effect is instant (using one melee attack/action).
2) The total damage only goes up to a maximum of the character's ME attribute number times 10, plus 10 points per level. Any excess damage gets caught in the buffer and feeds half of the excess damage back upon the character.

Other Bonuses: +1d4 ME
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

The only thing I would absolutely replace would be the word "minor" with the word "major".
I would have the damage, as a major, to be 1d6 punch/kick [or +1d4 other] per (PS ÷ (15-level))

This would limit the damage the char could give out. Especially if the char has EXPS, SHPS, or SNPS, which the char would have a p.s. score in the 20's, 40's, 50's.

How is it overpowered? A character with a PS of 20 would do 20d6 damage, for a maximum of 120. Even with a PS of 30, max damage is only 180. This is another power where combining it with other powers can potentially increase damage. But even with a PS of 70 it only does a maximum of 420, not even close to what some minor powers do at first level.
No, it does not work with thrown weapons as currently laid out.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

How is it overpowered? A character with a PS of 20 would do 20d6 damage, for a maximum of 120. Even with a PS of 30, max damage is only 180. This is another power where combining it with other powers can potentially increase damage. But even with a PS of 70 it only does a maximum of 420, not even close to what some minor powers do at first level.
No, it does not work with thrown weapons as currently laid out.

ok, the posted one as a major, and the minor being +1 die per level for melee attacks

work "through weapons" is what I meant. 'sword, spear, staff, etc...'

can you give some examples?
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

One of the limitationsof the power as a minor is that it is ONLY physical strikes, not melee, since the damage results from kinetic impact with the skin.
Powers with more damage include ones which can be detonated in a crowd, such as Energy Expulsion: Electrical Field (if brought up in a tightly packed crowd of at least 20 people in the field, it does 4d6 damage to each person per 5 seconds, a maximum damage in 5 seconds of 480 points), Energy Expulsion: Light Explosion (less individual damage than the first but greater range for more targets, hence greater potential damage), and similar area effect powers. The difference in this power is only that it is a) one target being damaged, and b) impact based. Most of the high damage powers I have posted lately which people insist have to be majors have been of the type of single target touch/impact based ones.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:One of the limitations the power as a minor is that it is ONLY physical strikes, not melee, since the damage results from kinetic impact with the skin.
... snip

Put the limitation in the description of power that it only works with "unarmed melee combat".

And describe the power more with text, like it only work if the hero's skin has to be doing the contact and such. In addition to the 'replacing the normal unarmed strike damage' text.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:One of the limitations the power as a minor is that it is ONLY physical strikes, not melee, since the damage results from kinetic impact with the skin.
... snip

Put the limitation in the description of power that it only works with "unarmed melee combat".

And describe the power more with text, like it only work if the hero's skin has to be doing the contact and such. In addition to the 'replacing the normal unarmed strike damage' text.

Yeah, I tend to forget to add some of that when posting the power. I willgo back and edit it.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Here is the edited version:

Hitting Strength (minor) by Stone Gargoyle

This is a type of kinetic energy expulsion. The power replaces the normal way damage is calculated for physical strikes in unarmed melee combat when the character's skin is exposed. Strikes when the skin is covered inflict normal damage.
Damage: The character inflicts 1d6 damage per PS attribute point from punches and kicks, and 1d4 per PS point from other physical attacks (elbow, knee, head butt, etc.). The normal PS damage bonus does not apply to the damage inflicted by the power.
Attacks: As per normal unarmed physical strikes.
Limitations: Strikes must be done without skin covering, so to get full damage the character must be almost completely undressed and without any sort of artificial armor.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Carrion Crawl (minor) by Stone Gargoyle
"They'll never find me in all these bodies."

When hiding amongst corpses, as on a battlefield, the character can mask is body temperature by making it drop to match the corpses around him. He can also slow his pulse and heartbeat if necessary to appear to be dead upon closer examination.

1. Room Temperature: The character can drop his body temperature to mimic a corpse's if surrounded by at least five of them. He will not appear to have a heat signature on thermal sensors and will feel cold and clammy. His skin will also bloat and discolor, turning shades of gray and blue.
Range: Corpses must be touching the character's skin.
Duration: The character's PE attribute number in minutes, plus one minute per level.
Damage: The character loses 1 Hit Point per minute while his body temperature is this low.
Attacks: Lowering or raising the body temperature requires 2 melee attacks/actiions and the character can perform no other actions while his body temperature is dropped,with the exception o fstopping his vital signs (see below).
Bonuses:
Takes half damage and effects from cold and ice attacks.
+2d4 PE

2. Vital Signs: The character can stop his pulse and heartbeat for one minute per level of experience. The character suffers an additiona 1 Hit Point damage each minute his pulse and heart are stopped. It takes one full melee round to slow his pulse and heartbeat to cause them to appear stopped, or to start them again and bring them to normal rate.

3. Other Bonuses:
+10% to save vs. coma/death
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Carrion Crawl (minor) by Stone Gargoyle

Done that in D&D...and a very appropriate Halloween-themed power for the season...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:snip...
Limitations: Strikes must be done without skin covering, so to get full damage the character must be almost completely undressed and without any sort of artificial armor.

*groans shaking head*

What? they only get the % of the damage equal to that amount of skin showing.*sarcastically*
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Carrion Crawl (minor) by Stone Gargoyle

Done that in D&D...and a very appropriate Halloween-themed power for the season...

I thought so. Here is another one:

Death's Door (minor) by Stone Gargoyle
"Soon he'll be dead and Ill be home free."

The character can drain half of the PPE from opponents when they die to use for teleportation purposes, with the other half dissipating. The character can drain the energy and store it for when it is needed. The amount stored has a maximum limit of the character's ME attribute number times ten (so a character with an ME attribute score of 24 can store up to 240 PPE points).
Range: The character spends the PPE points drained. Each PPE point will extend the distance of the teleport by 10 feet (so 240 PPE points spent would allow the character to teleport 2,400 feet away).
Duration: Teleportation is instant. The excess PPE can be held for the character's ME attribute number of hours, plus one hour per level,with points bleeding off at a rate of 10 PPE per hour after that..
Attacks: Draining the PPE uses 2 melee attacks/actions. Teleporting uses one melee attack/action. Can only teleport twice per melee round.
PPE Use Limitations: The PPE drained off of a corpse cannot be used by the character as personal PPE for casting spells but can be drained by magic users for their spells.
Weight Limit: The character can teleport himself plus an additional 1000 pounds.
Chance of a Successful Teleport:
Familiar place or within line of sight: 99%
Place seen a few times before (3-6 times): 68%
Place seen once: 38%
Place known to the deceased from whom the PPE was drained: 50%
Place never seen: No chance
Result of an unsuccessful teleport: Nothing happens but PPE is lost anyway.

Drewkitty~..~ wrote:What? they only get the % of the damage equal to that amount of skin showing.*sarcastically*

If skin touches the opponent, then the damage kicks in. They can't punch with a glove on and expect to do damage simply because their belly button is showing. :wink:
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Drewkitty~..~ wrote:What? they only get the % of the damage equal to that amount of skin showing.*sarcastically*

If skin touches the opponent, then the damage kicks in. They can't punch with a glove on and expect to do damage simply because their belly button is showing. :wink:

*wheeeww*...for a moment there I thought this was the ultimate expression of Clothing-Free Liberated Power...
"You and your ARSWAT* team were beaten up by a NUDIST?!"
"That's what she called herself, yessir..."

(*Armored Response Special Weapons And Tactics)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

*wheeeww*...for a moment there I thought this was the ultimate expression of Clothing-Free Liberated Power...
"You and your ARSWAT* team were beaten up by a NUDIST?!"
"That's what she called herself, yessir..."

(*Armored Response Special Weapons And Tactics)

The way it is worded was intended to convey the fact that dressing in less will allow them to take advantage of increased damage from tackles. I am sure the lady in your example would be less noticed if she was modest enough to wear a bikini and a domino mask. Anyone for full contact volleyball?
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:and once again, i've been one-upped. good job though.

I noticed that. Who would have thought another photocopier power would come out like a week after yours. :roll: People realy need to read the other posts so we aren't getting a half a dozen versions of the same thing.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:well, worse has happened (-_-). i try to avoid copying powers, and i haven't been here long, but i've already messed up a few times...

From what I can tell, there are now over 1600 powers in the wiki, which is not even all of the posts on this thread. It is bound to happen.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Leon Kennedy wrote:I honestly didn't know that he had written a power similar to mine prior to me putting mine out there. I wasn't trying to copy him - I just had a thought and put it out there.

Posting similar or identical powers unintentionally happens all the time. It really helps to check the boards on what has been done, because some powers do get done over and over otherwise. It is okay to post similar ones if yours is using a new system of calculating this or that. I do a lot of variations on a theme sometimes just for a variety of powers options.
For example, your digital transference idea has been done by Iczer in the past, and I think I may have done something like it as well. My only comment on it is that given it stores years of memories, it should really be a major.

As for me, I am trying to convert some of my Painter Magic material to powers, with regard to the Paintscape and creating Portraits.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Leon Kennedy wrote:Another interesting thought I had based on seeing a movie last night.

Digital Transference (Major)
I don't remember that happening to me at all. Let me pull the CD from that day and take a look at the video...

The hero has the ability to make a complete digital copy of every memory, experience, thought, etc., that he/she has ever had. The hero literally makes a copy of their memories on some type of digital medium - CD, DVD, flash drive, hard drive, or other type of digital medium.

The process takes place with the character physically holding the digital medium and concentrating on writing his/her memories to that medium. The medium needs no power source for this to work. Range, obviously, is touch.

Transferring the memories takes approximately 1 combat round per year of age of the character, or 1 minute per 4 years. No other actions can be taken while the transferrence is taking place, and all memories up to and including the transferrence itself - including anything that is seen during the transferrence - are transferred to the digital medium.

Space on the medium is a concern. Transferrence requires approximately 100 MB per year of age, or 1 GB for every 10 years.

Characters can, at their option, only transfer portions of their memory. Time and space concerns do not change, but the character may decide to only transfer memories since the last transferrence, or from a particular point in time.

Can they be read by an outside device? (comp, dvd player, etc...)
taalismn
Priest

You could always try a power that allows the being to embed their memories or thoughts in a less-obvious storage medium...like a rock, a favorite watch, favorite sweatshirt...etc...of course, in the example of a rock...you then can have the superbeing(or an associate) lose the precious memory cache in a heap of identical stones(like a gravel pit or quartzite-cobbled driveway...) :D

Or has that been done before...(?)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:You could always try a power that allows the being to embed their memories or thoughts in a less-obvious storage medium...like a rock, a favorite watch, favorite sweatshirt...etc...of course, in the example of a rock...you then can have the superbeing(or an associate) lose the precious memory cache in a heap of identical stones(like a gravel pit or quartzite-cobbled driveway...) :D

Or has that been done before...(?)

Dumber Than A Box Of Rocks (minor) by Stone Gargoyle
"Oh No! I've lost me marbles!"

The character has a brain made up of marble spheres which can be expelled and shot at targets. They can appear to be shot out of an eye, the forehead or the mouth (must be decided when character is created).
Size: The marbles are 2 inch diameter spheres.
Number: The spheres are equal in number to the character's IQ, ME and MA attribute numbers combined.
Range: Each marble can be shot for the character's IQ number times ten feet, plus 10 feet per level.
Duration: Instant. Each sphere expended requires an hour to regenerate.
Attacks: Shooting a marble uses one melee attack/action. One shot can shoot 1-3 marbles.
Damage: Marbles explode on impact, doing 1d4X10, plus 1d4 per level, electrical "brainstorm" damage each.
Combat Bonuses: Uses ME attribute bonus as the strike bonus.
Penalties: Each sphere shot will temporarily reduce the character's IQ, ME, or MA attribute and any resulting bonuses until it is regenerated. Loss of each IQ point will also drop skills by a percentage equal to that point's percentage of the whole IQ (so a character with an IQ of 25 as 100% of their IQ would lose 4% of their IQ per point lost). The character will decide what attribute is being reduced per shot.
Other Bonuses: +1d6 IQ, +1d4 ME, +1d6 MA
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Leon Kennedy wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Dumber Than A Box Of Rocks (minor) by Stone Gargoyle
"Oh No! I've lost me marbles!"

The character has a brain made up of marble spheres which can be expelled and shot at targets. They can appear to be shot out of an eye, the forehead or the mouth (must be decided when character is created).
Size: The marbles are 2 inch diameter spheres.
Number: The spheres are equal in number to the character's IQ, ME and MA attribute numbers combined.
Range: Each marble can be shot for the character's IQ number times ten feet, plus 10 feet per level.
Duration: Instant. Each sphere expended requires an hour to regenerate.
Attacks: Shooting a marble uses one melee attack/action. One shot can shoot 1-3 marbles.
Damage: Marbles explode on impact, doing 1d4X10, plus 1d4 per level, electrical "brainstorm" damage each.
Combat Bonuses: Uses ME attribute bonus as the strike bonus.
Penalties: Each sphere shot will temporarily reduce the character's IQ, ME, or MA attribute and any resulting bonuses until it is regenerated. Loss of each IQ point will also drop skills by a percentage equal to that point's percentage of the whole IQ (so a character with an IQ of 25 as 100% of their IQ would lose 4% of their IQ per point lost). The character will decide what attribute is being reduced per shot.
Other Bonuses: +1d6 IQ, +1d4 ME, +1d6 MA

How long does it take for each shot to be regenerated?

One hour.
taalismn
Priest

Copyright Protection(Minor)
“You owe me, KopyKatt, for the use of my MetaEssence; you owe me BIG...”
This permanently-on power protects against power-copying/swapping/stealing powers; when the superbeing is attacked with one of these powers, the offender is immediately surrounded by a thick cloud of ghostly figures resembling attorneys and lawyers, howling at the offender, and shoving attache cases and legal papers at them. This is extremely distracting; -1d4 to initiative, HALF all dodge, parry, roll, and strike bonuses, and reduce speed by HALF.
Furthermore, when the offending party attempts to use their stolen/copied powers, they’ll find the range, damage, and effects HALVED.
This power lasts as long as the copy/theft power is in effect. If the offender elects to return/drop the Copyrighted power, and attack some other superbeing (presumably NOT protected by a Copyright), the ghostly litigation cloud disperses.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Backup Disc (Major) by Stone Gargoyle
"I've got everything right here."

The character has all of his abilities, powers, and memories stored on a disc which automatically records his every experience. The disc is a solid object that can be used as a weapon or left in a secure place to keep it from being stolen.
Size: The disc is 10 inches in diameter.
SDC: The disc has an effective Natural AR of 19 and 200 SDC.
Range: The disc can never be more than 5 miles from the character or it will erase itself, and the character's recorded powers, memories and abilities with it. Can be thrown for 600 feet, plus 100 feet per level. Will always return automatically unless caught.
Duration: Permanent until destroyed. Strikes with it are instant.
Damage: The edges of the disc are razor sharp, doing 3d6 damage when thrown.

Bonuses:
Disc Protection: If powers are mimicked or negated,or if the character is caused to lose hismemory, the character gets the memories, abilities and powers back entirely and at full strength by holding the disc in his hands for one full melee round. This power cannot be copied or negated. The powers will only transfer to the character in this manner and not anyone else.
Combat Bonuses: +2 to throw at level one, with an additional +1 at levels 4, 8 and 12, plus any bonuses from PP, skills or other powers.

Penalties: Those attempting to catch the disc are at -6 to do so and risk having fingers cut off by doing so (30% chance on a failed catch).

Other Abilities and Bonuses: +2 to save vs.mind control and psionic attack.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Paintscape (Major) by Stone Gargoyle
"What a beautiful landscape."

This power allows the superbeing to step into the Paintscape, a dimension normally only accessed through Painter Magic, becoming a Portrait, a being resembling himself but appearing to have been painted (HP and SDC combine for new SDC). Only Painting Spells work within the paintscape, so none of the character's other powers will work while there. The character can use this power to travel in the paintscape and can immediately locate a nearby Framework and exit. If a Portrait, a being native to the paintscape, is in the way, he may push past to get out.
If the character is not out of the paintscape before the duration of the power is up, he will be forcibly pushed out of the nearest Framework and made to exit, although he will probably be nowhere near where he expected (see Navigation below).
Range: The superbeing must touch a painting to pull himself into the Paintscape. For each foot traveled in the paintscape, the character can travel to a painting up to one mile away.
Duration: One hour per level of experience.
Attacks: Entering or leaving the paintscape uses two melee attacks/actions.
Weight Limit: The character can take himself into the paintscape and up to 1000 pounds of equipment.
Navigation: The character automatically knows his way around the paintscape and can navigate himself to a desired painting Framework to exit with a skill level of 45%, plus 5% per level of experience. For every 1% off/over, the character is displaced by 1d10 miles (roll a 1d8 to determine direction, with 1 being north, 2 northeast, etc.).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Paintscape (Major) by Stone Gargoyle

This power allows the superbeing to step into the Paintscape, a dimension normally only accessed through Painter Magic, becoming a Portrait, a being resembling himself but appearing to have been painted (HP and SDC combine for new SDC). Only Painting Spells work within the paintscape, so none of the character's other powers will work while there. The character can use this power to travel in the paintscape and can immediately locate a nearby Framework and exit. If a Portrait, a being native to the paintscape, is in the way, he may push past to get out.
If the character is not out of the paintscape before the duration of the power is up, he will be forcibly pushed out of the nearest Framework and made to exit, although he will probably be nowhere near where he expected (see Navigation below).
Range: The superbeing must touch a painting to pull himself into the Paintscape. For each foot traveled in the paintscape, the character can travel to a painting up to one mile away.
Duration: One hour per level of experience.
Attacks: Entering or leaving the paintscape uses two melee attacks/actions.
Weight Limit: The character can take himself into the paintscape and up to 1000 pounds of equipment.
Navigation: The character automatically knows his way around the paintscape and can navigate himself to a desired painting Framework to exit with a skill level of 45%, plus 5% per level of experience. For every 1% off/over, the character is displaced by 1d10 miles (roll a 1d8 to determine direction, with 1 being north, 2 northeast, etc.).

"Mary Poppins"
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

"Mary Poppins"

I don't get the reference, but then I have not seen that movie in a long time.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

"Mary Poppins"

The group hops into a chalk drawing world.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

"Mary Poppins"

The group hops into a chalk drawing world.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Supercalifragilistic (minor) by Stone Gargoyle

The character gains battle prowess by making himself more vulnerable to being severely hurt. The character can increase all of his attack bonuses by +1 point for every 4 Hit Points and 2 points of SDC he sacrifices up to a limit of +10 or half his Hit Points, whichever is less. Sacrifice of points requires one action per each +1 bonus point. The bonuses are lost and revert back to HP and SDC after the character's PE attribute number in minutes provided he survives combat.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Leon Kennedy wrote:Another one based on a movie I recently had the bad misfortune to see part of.

Zerophilia (Minor)
Men get in first, but women get a discount. Which shall I choose?

Characters with this weird power have the ability to change their gender at will. The hero can be either male or female, for any length of time, just by merely thinking that they wish to be one or the other. The character's DNA, if sampled and analyzed, will show signs of being both male and female, with some DNA strands having the Y chromosome while others will have only the X chromosome.

As stated above, the duration is limitless, and the character can change back and forth as he/she/it sees fit. Making the change takes d4 minutes, with this amount needing to be rolled every time the change is to be made. No other actions can be taken while the change is underway.

Should the character choose to attempt to reproduce, there is a chance that the child will have this power (01-35), no powers at all (36-80), or randomly roll for d4 minor abilities (81-100). If the character is female and becomes pregnant, she cannot use this power until the pregnancy is terminated or comes to full term.

I did a similar power called Alter Physical Body: Gender. In mine, the character loses the ability to reproduce.

http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php/ ... dy:_Gender
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Supercalifragilistic (minor) by Stone Gargoyle

The character gains battle prowess by making himself more vulnerable to being severely hurt. The character can increase all of his attack bonuses by +1 point for every 4 Hit Points and 2 points of SDC he sacrifices up to a limit of +10 or half his Hit Points, whichever is less. Sacrifice of points requires one action per each +1 bonus point. The bonuses are lost and revert back to HP and SDC after the character's PE attribute number in minutes provided he survives combat.

"Say it fast five times or I break every bone in your body..."

Let this be a lesson to stumped power-makers out there of how sudden, unexpected, ridiculous, and serendipitously inspiration can come.... :)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

gmapprentice wrote:has someone already made a power where the user makes armor out of junk lying around?

I believe so....some of the Control Metal and possibly some of the mecha-inspired powers have that capability...
Plus, withe Mysteries of Magic, you now have spells that allow you to create suits of gravel or pebble armor...
Best advice is to use the 'search' function on the Black Vault and try any relevent terms like 'junk', 'scrap', 'armor' and see what comes up...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”