Burst/rapid-pulse rule clarification

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Burst/rapid-pulse rule clarification

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

in RIFTS, where this rules was first added, it only applied to weapons listed with a 'pulse' damage listing.

IMO, until otherwise informed, run it with the pulse rule only applying to weapons listed as having a pulse mode, and if something fires rapidly listed as a 'burst' use the normal burst rules.

certainly the energy weapons in, southern cross, new Generation, and shadow chronicles fire more like hollywood depictions of machine guns than the "3+ shots in an instant" of a pulse weapon.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ccrain wrote:In the Robotech: Shadow Chronicles sourcebook, there is a rule about rapid-pulse energy weapons that says that certain lasers and energy weapons fire 3-4 instantaneous bursts, and that these shots are considered a single shot (not a burst) and can make called shots and aimed shots (certain penalties apply).

My question is, how do you know which weapons this applies to? All energy weapons? Only energy weapons that fire 4 or fewer rounds in a burst? For example, does the Alpha Fighter's pulse cannon, which can fire a 5-round burst, count as this "special type" of single-shot-y burst or a "traditional" burst?

The modern weapons that say in their description that they have a the pulse option, on a case by case basis. This means you are going to have to read every weapon's description to see if it is pulse capable or not.

If there is not any mention of the pulse option then multiple blasts in One APM are counted as a regular burst.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
AaronCE
D-Bee

Unread post by AaronCE »

This is a bit of a thread hijack, but germaine to the original. And, before anyone flames, I haven't gotten to the Canon section of the rules.

With energy weapons, there is often a "per blast/shot" and "per burst (of three, etc.)" listings. I.e. modes of fire. There are also some energy weapons that fire "standard" or even "standard, machinegun."

I don't think many people highlight this discrepency. Firing a long burst with a laser rifle (or the NG-EP4 Plasma Rifle) can do some serious damage. Yeah, you'll drain e-clips like a champ, but if you have a few power packs, or even a rigged small nuclear generator, you can do some major major damage with some pretty cheap weapons.

For example, a bit of an extreme case (for those of us with supernatural strength), the NG-E12 Heavy Plasma Ejector. Crew/tripod mounted. But you got robot/supernatural strength, a 30#'d gun is nothin' compared to that railgun you could have. Add in 20#'s for each power pack. (or up to a small nuclear generator scavenged from many sources that your Operator buddy rigs up as a dedicated power pack) Rate of Fire is Standard. Damage is 1D4x10 per blast. Standard clip capacity is 6, extended 12, 42 with the power pack.

Damage from a short burst is standard shot/blast damage x2, and costs you 20% of the magazine/capacity. So you do 2D4x10 MD damage, and expend two shots. That damage/shot standard should hold even if you have a larger clip in. I.e. a short burst will always expend 2 blasts and do 2D4x10 MD.

Damage from a long burst changes things. A long burst with a small clip/capacity gun (less than 15 rounds) is the same as a short burst. You don't get any benefit. But if it is 30-50 charges/bullets/shots/blasts, then it's standard damage x5. And it uses 50% of the magazine/capacity.

So you throw your E-clips away with this power hog plasma gun, and plug in the power pack. Now you have 42 shots to work with. A long burst does 5D4x10 MD. And uses up ONE ATTACK. Yeah you're blowing through power like it's going out of style, but still, you're also doing 50-200 MD damage with each attack. And it burns 21 shots worth of power. So basically you've made a power pack into a two shot clip.

The rules get a bit iffy, say you have a gun with a 16 shot payload, or an 18 shot, or 20. Can you make a long burst that does x3 or x4 damage? But doesn't burn so many shots? Honestly, I'd like to see its as a multiplier of "short burst" damage/shot drain. I.e. a Short Burst is x2 and 20%, a medium burst is a short burst x1.5, a long/heavy burst is x2.5. (yeah, I realize I'm adding a medium burst, but as short and long bursts are both one attack, the case could be made of another deliniation there)

But back to the original. You've got this badass gun. You've got your backpack nuclear generator. So you have a dedicated power source and technically unlimited payload. (the same could be said slaving the gun to a vehicle/bot/whatever) And you start popping off with long bursts. You've got say six attacks a melee. You're doing 300 MD a round, at minimum. (assuming you hit) With 1,200 MD being a max. You're looking at almost taking out a Glitter Boy every round, on average. With a gun that goes for 80K cred. Yeah, the nuclear power pack is pricy, runs you multiple millions. But you can scavenge one pretty easily, after you use your traditional power packs to shanghai a SAMAS or NG Sampson or whatever else with a small portable nuclear generator.

This seems extreme. And totally "legal." The power drain of energy weapons has always been their downfall.

Honestly, I'd think there would be some kind of melted circuits/overheating/weapon explosion if you channeled so much power through a gun in a certain amount of time. But, still, it's something that isn't out of the question. Especially with a traditionally crew served tripod/vehicle mounted weapon. The idea is heavy fire.

But damn. Upwards of 500 MD a round. With one 'borg with a gun. That's serious fire suppression.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

It's never mentioned anywhere, but Heavy Energy weapons like plasma and particle, are not supposed to use the burst/spray rules unless it specifies they can. (I asked Kevin about this one time).

But you can certainly use lighter weapons to similar effect.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I remember once time, in one of my earliest rifts games, the GM (New to the game), decided to be generous and let us find a whole "Bag of e-clips, about 80 or 90 of them charged).

He was then amazed when I promptly started long bursting every turn with CS Firebreather rifle every turn :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”