Psionic power question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Re: Psionic power question

Unread post by runebeo »

A minor psionic power should not have dealt M.D. and I'm glad it was changed.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

I would leave it as a Physical power. It costs 20 ISP,if I remember correctly,for a one shot attack that be parried or dodged.And it doesn't do that much MD;most decent laser pistols do more. A Super version would be great, with a duration and more damage.Anybody have any ideas?
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Captain Shiva wrote:I would leave it as a Physical power. It costs 20 ISP,if I remember correctly,for a one shot attack that be parried or dodged.And it doesn't do that much MD;most decent laser pistols do more.

But most psionic powers do not.
Mind Bolt is a Super Psionic power.
Compare the damages.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Sir Blayse
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Sir Blayse »

Well my mind melter had his TK-accel before HUE ever came out, so his is staying as a physical power, but I agree it should be a super power. Now why does PPE Shield need to be a super power? Oh well.
I ride for the poor, the sick, the ignorant, and the downtrodden. I fight for good and for the justice of those in need... And I will die with knowledge that I have done all I can and have no regrets!-Sir Blayse
Sir Blayse
Dungeon Crawler

TK-accel Well 20 ISP for 3d6+4 MD is pretty good.
Mind bolt is designed as an assassin type weapon, kill with a thought. If I remember right it is invisible, so you could kill a target in a crowded area of say Chi-town and not have the attention from pulling your psi-sword. Plus, the power reminds you that it gets better on a ley line or nexus. Same idea with the psi-dagger for the psi-slayer, he doe not need a big weapon to kill someone without armor in a SDC area.
Now for some power think Pyrokinesis: Fireball 25 ISP for 6d6 MD. Short ranged but deadly, especially at a nexus point.
I just wished that Hydrokinesis and Electrokinesis were better powers. wow, I can shock you and not even have to rub my feet on the carpet... Hydrokinesis, seriously read the sense water portion. I hope I can do that without any powers. This would be better if you could find underground water and have maybe a range of a few thousand feet. Otherwise, where did I leave my glass of water.... oh, over there. Though hurling boiling water could be interesting.

The main thing to remember is that someone with magic or psionics will probably try and lead opponents to areas with ley lines or nexus points. The whole pick your battle type idea. Probably not a good idea to pursue a psychic opponent.

Now here is a question. Is a characters ISP transfered with their mind during Mentally Possess Others? It does not say in the description of the power, but do you still retain your psionic powers. I know you can't use any other body's skills or memories, but if the other person was a superhuman type with power, could you use that power if you knew that they had it?
Last edited by Sir Blayse on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ride for the poor, the sick, the ignorant, and the downtrodden. I fight for good and for the justice of those in need... And I will die with knowledge that I have done all I can and have no regrets!-Sir Blayse
Sir Blayse
Dungeon Crawler

yeah, the game has changed alot when it comes to power levels. when we first starting playing back a long time ago, the game was played differently. some characters didn't even have MDC armor, and rarely more than one or two MD weapons. remember that in the early books it mentions someone with a suit of power armor could easily take over a city and not have to worry. now, you have to worry about kids toting md slingshots, that's a pun.
the power levels in the game have shifted a lot over the years. i still try and run my games on the lower power curve. bad are not always wearing md armor and carrying big guns. sure it can be fun to run a game full of powerhouses, but usually the RP lacks from them. in my games the story is usually more important, so a player could still survive for a while without MDC armor, unless he gets unlucky and runs into some brodkil or something.

Return to “Rifts®”