Question about death and Hero's powers .

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Question about death and Hero's powers .

Unread post by Lenwen »

When a hero is dead does that power die with them for instance ..

Hero with Flight : Wingless does the body still retain the ability to fly if some one were able to zombify that corpse or use the body of that hero to "Mimic" thier ability to fly even after death ?

Or rather like I said if some one were to zombify that corpse .. does it retain the ability to fly ?

EDIT : Also can a necromancer use the bone of a super hero .. to gain that super power threw grafting of the bone to the necromancers body ?
GMDijarian
Explorer

Re: Question about death and Hero's powers .

Unread post by GMDijarian »

Once someone is dead they lose their powers.
In the case of the "zombie" i would say no,
though i believe a "mummy" would get to retain its natural abilities.

I would allow in my game for a necromancer to do that with a hero's bones, but it would be up to your GM i would say.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

I would say no on mimicking the powers of a dead hero. If you create a standard zombie or animated dead,no again. A Dead Reign style zombie,yes. The grafting thing I would handle on a case by case basis.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

When a character is dead, their essence and all non-physical powers leave the body, so there is nothing to mimic.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:When a character is dead, their essence and all non-physical powers leave the body, so there is nothing to mimic.

Is this an actual statement drawn from the Rule book ?

If so by citing a pg# in which book you would be greatly helping me out my friend .. Thank you in advanced if you so choose to help me .
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Lenwen wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:When a character is dead, their essence and all non-physical powers leave the body, so there is nothing to mimic.

If so by citing a pg# in which book you would be greatly helping me out my friend .. Thank you in advanced if you so choose to help me .

No, it is more a house rule based on my personal understanding of energy mechanics. Consider it an informed opinion. Superabilities are referred to as raw power, with the hero and their life energy as the source of that power. If the character is dead, he is no longer generating that power. Zombification is animating a dead shell, not restoring life or powers. Of course, that is just my opinion, I cannot speak for Palladium or other gamers on how they handle it.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

No, it is more a house rule based on my personal understanding of energy mechanics. Consider it an informed opinion. Superabilities are referred to as raw power, with the hero and their life energy as the source of that power. If the character is dead, he is no longer generating that power. Zombification is animating a dead shell, not restoring life or powers. Of course, that is just my opinion, I cannot speak for Palladium or other gamers on how they handle it.

So then how do you explain body weapons super ability ?

That power is directly linked to the physical body of the being with that super ability.

And as such would it be available to some one who mummified the body or a "Mimic" who has the body after death ?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Lenwen wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

So then how do you explain body weapons super ability ?

That power is directly linked to the physical body of the being with that super ability.

And as such would it be available to some one who mummified the body or a "Mimic" who has the body after death ?

I would say that it would be available to the mummy, given that it is a physical aspect or property of the body and not an expression of life energy. You will notice I had said non-physical powers left the body, whereas Body Weapons is a physical power. I do not have an opinion as to whether it could or should be mimicked.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

BARQ wrote:even with the just the physical aspect it would be alot of cool mummies with powers. ok stoney heres a question for you. say some one was stuck in a physical state ie the villian obelisk would that body be zombafied?

Are you saying like an APS zombie? That would be awesome. The body is zombified in the state it died in, so I would think it would be a zombie with an APS form, certainly, if you were able to zombify it properly.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Most of the time, a person's powers are an inherrant ability, tied to physiology or biology.

Joe 'The Burner' hayes has the ability to fire bolts of fire? He simply exudes a catalytic sweat that rapidly strips air molecules into raw plasma which combusts in air.

Maryanne 'Diablo' Rameriez can fly? Her bone marrow is supercharged with an unexplained graviton discharge system.

The Chicago vigillante 'nightrazor' has sharp claws....well he has retractable claws i guess...

I disagree with SG on the whole 'life force connected to powers' theory. If a radioactive cockroach has bitten me, and I'm enhanced by the radioactive RNA/DNA interchange, then I expect a DNA test to be able to confirm that, and I'm not donating blood anytime soon. And If I perform an autopsy of Cryo-Baby I suspect I will find some pretty glaring anomolies.

as to animation as a zombie...well that's a case by case call. The fluro Avenger can glow in the dark due to irradiated cells being able to store, biochemically enhance and release light. It's up to the GM if the cells still function that way after being deceased. If it's a biochemical property then, probably,. The ability to control that power is probably defunct now, so It may be always on, always off or sporadic. Then again, he's dead, so he shouldn't be able to walk, but the whole definition of a zombie presumes ambulatory activities so....

In one HU game I had a few years back, there existed the Lazarus project, whose function was to acquire the bodies of metahumans and try to harvest some use for their superhuman physiologies post mortem. It was gruesome, needless to say, and PC's were horrified when they investigated. I still keep them, or their spiritual successor around, and whip out some high tech innovation from time to time, based on the bodies of deceased superhumans.

Batts

(PS...did you know it's hard to type when you cannot see the bleeding screen? >:( )
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

It really comes down to the source of the powers. What Iczer says is valid, but you also have issues regarded to auras and energies which would not be present in a dead body.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Lenwen wrote:When a hero is dead does that power die with them for instance ..

Hero with Flight : Wingless does the body still retain the ability to fly if some one were able to zombify that corpse or use the body of that hero to "Mimic" thier ability to fly even after death ?

Or rather like I said if some one were to zombify that corpse .. does it retain the ability to fly ?

EDIT : Also can a necromancer use the bone of a super hero .. to gain that super power threw grafting of the bone to the necromancers body ?

This is the time that you roll on one of "KittenStomp's 'Tables of Doom'"
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

IMO,

Zombie = no powers or mimic,

Mummy = powers & mimic

Necormancer = Its a cool story so if it an NPC I'd say yes, if its a PC then it depends on if it will be unbalancing in ur game.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

BARQ wrote:ok from a role playing stand point, a zombified superhuman who may have been a friend, or just to add some super doom to game could be fun.
and stoney and iccy ill let you two powerhouses of hu wisdom hash it out, and garner some really good ideas from your discussions. :D

My argument stems from the concept that certain powers would be related to PPE and "unlocked" at stages of life by that PPE and lost in the same way. Besides, energy powers would cause a zombie to fry itself or break apart, wouldn't they?
I agree, it would be fun. People just disallowing it for no reason are losing out. Marvel comics actually did an entire story arc based on if all the characters became zombies.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Iczer wrote:
In one HU game I had a few years back, there existed the Lazarus project, whose function was to acquire the bodies of metahumans and try to harvest some use for their superhuman physiologies post mortem. It was gruesome, needless to say, and PC's were horrified when they investigated. I still keep them, or their spiritual successor around, and whip out some high tech innovation from time to time, based on the bodies of deceased superhumans.

This is exactly the very concept I am starting to work on for my PC's ..

A Rifts Necromancer that is working on collecting "Superhumans" in the Heroes universe .. to start enacting some of thier powers threw him .. (Hence the bone melding question)

I need to know if it is possible according to HU unlimited rules or not ?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Lenwen wrote:
Iczer wrote:

This is exactly the very concept I am starting to work on for my PC's ..

A Rifts Necromancer that is working on collecting "Superhumans" in the Heroes universe .. to start enacting some of thier powers threw him .. (Hence the bone melding question)

I need to know if it is possible according to HU unlimited rules or not ?

It does not say specifically anywhere. It sounds like you are trying to justify something you intend to do to your GM. Personally, I would not let a player do what you are trying to do in trying to absorb superpowers from corpses.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
It does not say specifically anywhere. It sounds like you are trying to justify something you intend to do to your GM. Personally, I would not let a player do what you are trying to do in trying to absorb superpowers from corpses.

I am the GM ..

I want to try to stay in the rules as much as possible for the Games that I plan for ..
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Lenwen wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

I am the GM ..

I want to try to stay in the rules as much as possible for the Games that I plan for ..

Yet you are mixing Rifts and Heroes Unlimited without limiting it much. A GM's job is about helping the players, but it is also about setting limits. Allowing a necromancer to basically have an unlimited Mimic power isn't very responsible, IMO.
Iczer said that dead people's powers rely on chemicals which make them usable. Trying to mimic a corpse's chemical composition, IMO, would give you an incomplete power or none at all in many cases. Chemicals still need to be controlled and regulated by the body, which I see as less likely in a corpse, making powered zombies and mummies unlikely.
But I don't claim to be an expert, far from it. When it all comes down to it, you can do as you like, since there isn't anything official allowing you to create what appears to me to be an unbalancing character. My claim to significance is my ability to create playable material, which is why I give advice. Advice is free to be taken or ignored with no consequence or effect on me, so do as you will.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Yet you are mixing Rifts and Heroes Unlimited without limiting it much. A GM's job is about helping the players, but it is also about setting limits. Allowing a necromancer to basically have an unlimited Mimic power isn't very responsible, IMO.

Yet it is a VERY real ability of thiers .. in the Rifts world setting .. (that does not change if they leave that setting) They can carry around a bone of one being an have max MDC of that being had when they were alive .. So really I am not breaking any rules .. I am using the Necromancer as has been written according to the rifts world setting .. and I see that HU2 has no such writeups about necromancers ..
Hence me asking about it on the threads ..

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Iczer said that dead people's powers rely on chemicals which make them usable. Trying to mimic a corpse's chemical composition, IMO, would give you an incomplete power or none at all in many cases. Chemicals still need to be controlled and regulated by the body, which I see as less likely in a corpse, making powered zombies and mummies unlikely.
But I don't claim to be an expert, far from it. When it all comes down to it, you can do as you like, since there isn't anything official allowing you to create what appears to me to be an unbalancing character. My claim to significance is my ability to create playable material, which is why I give advice. Advice is free to be taken or ignored with no consequence or effect on me, so do as you will.

Well said.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Heroes Unlimited is considerably lesser powered than Rifts, and necromancers are available if you mix other stuff in, like Palladium Fantasy.
But again, it is about game balance and how it plays out in your game. It may very well work out in a Rifts setting, in which case you are following Rifts rules, not HU2 rules.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Heroes Unlimited is considerably lesser powered than Rifts, and necromancers are available if you mix other stuff in, like Palladium Fantasy.
But again, it is about game balance and how it plays out in your game. It may very well work out in a Rifts setting, in which case you are following Rifts rules, not HU2 rules.

Considering that HU2 has no write up for a Necromancer according to its rule set ..

Do I really have a choice on wether or not I want to use a Rifts Necromancer ?

PFRPG and Rifts necromancers both carry the same abilities ..
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

What about mutants ?

ALL .. thier powers are recieved from thier genetic make up ..

I forgot to ask you about this the other day so I guess this is as good a time as any ..

How would you play it then ?

Can a necromancer use thier DNA and/or Bones .. to replicate thier super abilities ?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Lenwen wrote:

What about mutants ?

ALL .. thier powers are recieved from thier genetic make up ..

I forgot to ask you about this the other day so I guess this is as good a time as any ..

How would you play it then ?

Can a necromancer use thier DNA and/or Bones .. to replicate thier super abilities ?

I do not know enough about the particular spell used to say. I am used to the idea of a necromancer who raises the dead, not one which replicates their powers. If it could, I would be wary to allow a PC to have the ability.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Lenwen wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Heroes Unlimited is considerably lesser powered than Rifts, and necromancers are available if you mix other stuff in, like Palladium Fantasy.

Considering that HU2 has no write up for a Necromancer according to its rule set ..

Do I really have a choice on wether or not I want to use a Rifts Necromancer ?

PFRPG and Rifts necromancers both carry the same abilities ..

I have never compared the two since I do not play Rifts.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Lenwen wrote:1 When a hero is dead does that power die with them for instance ..

2 Hero with Flight : Wingless does the body still retain the ability to fly if some one were able to zombify that corpse or use the body of that hero to "Mimic" their ability to fly even after death ?

3 Or rather like I said if some one were to zombify that corpse .. does it retain the ability to fly ?

4 EDIT : Also can a necromancer use the bone of a super hero .. to gain that super power threw grafting of the bone to the necromancers body ?

1 answered with my last post

2 no the hero is dead, the powers are a part of the life force & go with the life force

3 no, same reason as #2

4 maybe, with Gm discretion
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

I like it ..

The whole DNA aspect of Mutants .. being a very concievable way for a Powerful Necromancer to steal and utilize Super Abilities .. threw the use of the Mutants DNA ..

And I also agree .. that it would be kinda stupid to be able to steal the abilities of some one .. who is granted thier super powers threw the use of items and or Bionics of sort .. like was stated .. you can not steal powers from items ..
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Number one problem I have with Leon Kennedy's argument is that Necromancers are NOT by nature scientists.
Also, where does it say Necrmancers gain a person's abilities through bone grafting? What book(s), page, spell or ability? I saw only one of this sort saying they could heal broken bones by grafting on bones of the dead, nothing about abilities inherited.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

There is,however,a Shifter spell in an old Rifter that might a spellcaster to permanently steal super powers.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Number one problem I have with Leon Kennedy's argument is that Necromancers are NOT by nature scientists.
Also, where does it say Necrmancers gain a person's abilities through bone grafting? What book(s), page, spell or ability? I saw only one of this sort saying they could heal broken bones by grafting on bones of the dead, nothing about abilities inherited.

The Necromancer O.C.C. is availible in either Rifts: Mystic Russia or Rifts:Africa

However the Mystic Russia Necromancer O.C.C. is the more complete description of the class and even provides several spells after its class description.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Leon Kennedy wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Number one problem I have with Leon Kennedy's argument is that Necromancers are NOT by nature scientists.

I agree that Necromancers are not by nature scientists. But that doesn't preclude them from being so. It could even be argued that in some cases it would have been medicine and the study of the dead that would have led one to become interested in the necromantic arts. I am merely making the argument that a necromancer wouldn't be able to perform this type of act (at least not in any world I run) unless he/she had both magical ability AND proper medical training. Which is, in fact, possible. :)

I pose this .. as a Necromancer ..

A necromancer would have an even more innate knowledge of the dead Bodies .. then even Dr's .. due to their entire life being all about studing and learning absolutly everything there is about death .. and the effects on the human species ..

You could even say that a Necromancer is quite possibly the best Dr ever ..
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Lenwen wrote:

The Necromancer O.C.C. is availible in either Rifts: Mystic Russia or Rifts:Africa

However the Mystic Russia Necromancer O.C.C. is the more complete description of the class and even provides several spells after its class description.

After reading over the description, abilities, and such for the Necromancer, I can see your argument. You are in fact probably correct in thinking the character could absorb superabilities. I stand corrected.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

After reading over the description, abilities, and such for the Necromancer, I can see your argument. You are in fact probably correct in thinking the character could absorb superabilities. I stand corrected.

So as I am the GM .. I do try not to break game mechanic's with my bad guys .. or my story settings/plots ..

Do you think it would make for a good setting ?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Lenwen wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

So as I am the GM .. I do try not to break game mechanic's with my bad guys .. or my story settings/plots ..

I am not clear on what exactly the setting is. I was not even clear about Necromancers initially, which is one reason I did not immediately answer as to whether they should or could act thus.
So far you have described characters and potential plot, but nothing as to what led up to the current situation. Knowing nothing of the characters and tech setting, I cannot really say.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

I am not clear on what exactly the setting is. I was not even clear about Necromancers initially, which is one reason I did not immediately answer as to whether they should or could act thus.
So far you have described characters and potential plot, but nothing as to what led up to the current situation. Knowing nothing of the characters and tech setting, I cannot really say.

So far the setting is this ..

HU2 world .. Necromancer has been "Trapped" there .. and as he start's to try to find a way back to Rifts earth he realizes that in this world Heroe's have super abilities .. that are able to be duplicated threw his necromatic ways. (which he found by completely by accident by killing a minor super hero)

He then starts hunting minor superbeings .. (Good and Bad) While killing some an making Zombies of them and keeping parts of them to power his own super abilities drawn from thier remains.

The PC's have to not only find who is doing this .. but then find a way to stop the necromancer from doing this to them or those they love.

Basically I am going to try to play it sorta like a mystery .. and only after they find out who it is .. they are going to catch him in the act of taking some part of an unfortunate super being's body .. to draw the super ability from .. And then they will get the whole picture.

They will not be required to face the necromancer head on .. as by the time they find him (if not soon enough) he will have enough super abilities to be a mega-villain. (I will not allow more then several super abilities to be used at once to again try to stay within the HU2 core books guidlines)

So thier only real objective is two fold ..
1) - Find out who is hunting superbiengs ..
2) - Find out how this being is stealing superbeings powers ...

As a GM I will make sure the PC's win or rather not really win .. but when they do face (if they so choose to) the Necromancer .. that something unforseen happens .. to the NPC .. and either they are rewarded for thier efforts or not ..

Everything depends on how they find the necromancer .. and how they proceed from that point on.

I mean if a necromancer has the ability to take out superbeings .. they might not understand how powerful it really is ..
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Sounds interesting, but you want to be careful to not make it impossible for the players to win.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Sounds interesting, but you want to be careful to not make it impossible for the players to win.

Very very true ..
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Lenwen wrote:

How would one access this power? Zombies and mummies are essentially brain dead, they don't even have instincts. How would they use them? Furthermore, how would you use them? You would have no idea how to access or control them. Its like asking if building a computer lets you speak binary, or if fixing your car nets you an organic internal combustion engine. This is less an exercise in game mechanics, as it is a bunch of rather unrealistic ways to cludge crap together. It doesn't even make sense. Since you use this page number mess, where in the descriptions of mummy or zombie does it say they keep superpowers, psionics, or magic?

Give me a page number, paragraph, and font, and I'll concede that this makes any sense. (plus ten points and a side of serious respect if some one does)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't do whatever you feel like. I just don't think you should ask for a ruling, and then disregard the fact that it is in no way game legal.
Also, necromancers don't gain natural abilities or or psionics, or magic, or superpowers unless it says so. Even then, I'm pretty sure its just a few spells, from wearing peoples heads. You don't get to go invisible by using a brodkil's bone as a club, unless your gm allows this as a house rule. I'm sorry if this sounds kind of harsh, it is hard to tell someone's tone and meaning through text, but i assure you it isn't meant to be mean. I even went through and checked to make sure there weren't any words with ambiguous or negative connotations.

Also,on a side note, I was unaware that you get the maximum possible number of mdc from any random bone you hold. I was under the impression that you get the mdc from that specific being, which has to be rolled. I'll have to re check, as it would make my necromancer stupid powerful. It also makes me wonder if you would get the whole mdc of an adult dragon, because the game only has stats for baby dragons. You sorta have to make up adults, because they even removed their rules for making adults from the RUE, which I'm sure they had in RMB.

As always, have fun
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't do whatever you feel like. I just don't think you should ask for a ruling, and then disregard the fact that it is in no way game legal.

Never disregarded anything .. there is no law/rule one way or the other. Which is why I am asking about it in the first place.

It appears you're posting/ranting.. about something you did not read the whole discussion about ..

Also, necromancers don't gain natural abilities or or psionics, or magic, or superpowers unless it says so

And neither does it mean they do not ..

This arguement right here can be done .. all day ..

Also,on a side note, I was unaware that you get the maximum possible number of mdc from any random bone you hold.

I do not think that is how it works, if that is how it came out then I do apologize for that.

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote: I was under the impression that you get the mdc from that specific being, which has to be rolled

This is how I believe it is played ..

And yes the Necromancer can draw upon powers of the host of the bones .. Perhaps you need to re-read the Necromancer's abilities ?
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

In general, Rifts OCCs are overpowered in comparison to HU2. I would disallow it on the basis of it being two categories in HU2 or make it a gain experience as a dual class.
The bit about Necromancers being able to absorb any attributes is bull. There are specific listings on what they can and cannot take. I would make superpowers off limits based on the fact they are usually unique to the hero having them.
Zombies lose their powers as far as I am concerned; they are DEAD.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Shadowfyr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadowfyr »

Ya know i really like your idea Lenwen. I've read necromancer many times over and i play alternatively when the group wants Heroes and Rifts. But i guess ive always managed to overlook the bone sewing and gaining abilities of the bones to the Necro. Opening my eyes as such i think imma go read them again. lol.

I on the occasion gm myself and have always looked for a good twist of a class/OCC and i think you bring around an awesome one.

I would like to hear how it goes for your group and their reaction to your NPC when they actually face him/her.
You are so huggably evil! :ok: ~ Temporalmage

So, come to a concensus...
Put five people in a room, and you have ten opinions! ~ Borast
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

It's a tricky proposition, and I cannot say I envy the Gm who has to face players with his rationales.

Corpses, as a general rule, don't walk around, so matters regarding physiology and biology can be handwaved and overlooked.

That said, undead seem to fall into three categories within palladium.

1) Actual deamons walking around in a corpse or simply masquerading as one (grave ghouls for instance)
2) Puppet like physically animated dead
3) ritual creations (such as the mummy and the zombie)

as for keeping powers, while it's true that they could probably access their powers, they probably won't (in the same way that most of them cannot access speech for instance. Disintegration bolts are probably at least as complex as dancing..something zombies are not want to do.

In addition, a lot of powers probably rely on physiology. x-ray vision on a skeleton may be pointless in the absence of eyes, And I'll assume zombies have no use for either heightened ME or extraodinary IQ (in the same breath though, I pity the fool who has to face theanimated skeleton of someone with indestructible bones)

All in all though, It's magic. and as such it's all about busting down rules. I can see the horror aspects intrinsic in an undead superhero (marvel zombies has shown us this, and to a lesser extent so has blackest night). And I see no real drama with acquiring powers from a deceased hero/villain as long as a little common sense were applied (Yes you have indestructible man's arm grafted to you. His arm remains invulnerable, your other arms not so).

You are the GM, so teh ball ultimately lies in your court on this one. I'd honestly be more concerned, from a player POV, at which powers he's actually got (and of course if he's dismembering superbeing corpses, then he's going to be famous very quickly, it's not as if it's the largest of demographics and a lot of them tarvel in the same circles)

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”