Organic PA speculation

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: Organic PA speculation

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

You might want to check out South America 1 - Biomancy
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

MDC wood can be fairly easily created using magic. so can MDC bone, although the spell for that is probably a bit more rare in north america (being a russian necromancy/bone magic spell, that is).

i doubt it would be particularly hard to make, actually. as far as allowing full use of magic, i'm not so sure about that... there's plenty of magic that simply won't pass through environmental body armors or power armors from the outside going in, i can't fathom a reason to allow it going from the inside out without restriction. but sure, if it's a spell you could normally cast through power armor, i could see it being allowed, to some extent at least. that being said, without the appropriate skills (pilot: power armor in particular), power armors really suck big time. you'd probably be better off just creating a light TW body armor with a few features of choice (say, one of the armor/forcefield spells, some kind of flight, some kind of environmental sealing type of effect, and increased strength, speed, or endurance) and then supplement it with handheld TW weapons as needed. and of course, put a nice big PPE battery on it.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Squiz wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:MDC wood can be fairly easily created using magic. so can MDC bone, although the spell for that is probably a bit more rare in north america (being a russian necromancy/bone magic spell, that is).

i doubt it would be particularly hard to make, actually. as far as allowing full use of magic, i'm not so sure about that... there's plenty of magic that simply won't pass through environmental body armors or power armors from the outside going in, i can't fathom a reason to allow it going from the inside out without restriction. but sure, if it's a spell you could normally cast through power armor, i could see it being allowed, to some extent at least. that being said, without the appropriate skills (pilot: power armor in particular), power armors really suck big time. you'd probably be better off just creating a light TW body armor with a few features of choice (say, one of the armor/forcefield spells, some kind of flight, some kind of environmental sealing type of effect, and increased strength, speed, or endurance) and then supplement it with handheld TW weapons as needed. and of course, put a nice big PPE battery on it.

Yeah, but there's just something cool about a TW Power Armor suit that would allow a mage to cast spells and imbue bonuses and such. Dunno.

well, it's a whole lot less cool when you're actually getting fewer attacks per round and look like an idiot because even walking is difficult =P

i dunno, i just don't see magic power armor being a likely thing for spellcasters. oh, i can definitely see all kinds of applications for TW power armor... just not one designed for a spellcaster to ride in.

(that being said, if you want to go with a Giant Fighting Seizure Robot, you could easily have a TW mystic portal effect allowing you to cast through the hull without being exposed to enemy fire. if you were to then shrink the pilot such that a power armor sized suit becomes the equivalent of a robot vehicle to the pilot, you could obtain the same appearance to people outside).

does that help any?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Squiz wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:You might want to check out South America 1 - Biomancy

I have that book on me! I'll check it out.
Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:The Palladium Games Splicers RPG, is all about organic PA on veihcal. In the Phase World series from Palladium, there is a race of creatures called the Necron that only use organic tech. inclueding PA.

I've heard about Splicers, it sounds bad ass. I've never really looked at phase world either. If I could convert it somehow, or develop it in Rifts, could a magic user use it at no penalty?

it's a bit hard to say. Splicers is a zero-magic world, so magic dosn't exsist and can't be used in the world it origionated from, so no rules were developed for it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:it's a bit hard to say. Splicers is a zero-magic world, so magic dosn't exsist and can't be used in the world it origionated from, so no rules were developed for it.

No you can use magic in Splicers if you're from another dimension and land there, the problem is your regen rate is down the tubes, and range/damage/etc is half or something like that.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Squiz wrote:

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:The Palladium Games Splicers RPG, is all about organic PA on veihcal. In the Phase World series from Palladium, there is a race of creatures called the Necron that only use organic tech. inclueding PA.

I've heard about Splicers, it sounds bad ass. I've never really looked at phase world either. If I could convert it somehow, or develop it in Rifts, could a magic user use it at no penalty?

Splicers is totally rad. It is probably tied with Rifts as my favorite Palladium game.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Iron Wood PA armor anybody?
(recalls the wooden robot in 'Robot Carnival') :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

A Necromancer MIGHT be able to create something akin to a temporary Suit of Zombie power armor with enough corpse grafting around himself....

Maybe even figure out a way to insert himself into the chest cavity of a Zavor, and fly it around like a flying PA... :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:
taalismn wrote:A Necromancer MIGHT be able to create something akin to a temporary Suit of Zombie power armor with enough corpse grafting around himself....

Maybe even figure out a way to insert himself into the chest cavity of a Zavor, and fly it around like a flying PA... :twisted:

I've considered formulating a set of spells for Necromancers that allows them to create undead "Robots and Power Armor." I feel it's a logical advancement for Necro's in Rift's.
Anyone else think it's good idea.

well, it fits, and were i to have a necromancer character, i certainly would attempt to pull it off =P

on a side note, it just occurred to me: biological power armor = riathenor symbiote. why i didn't think of it sooner, i'm not sure. but it would seem to fit the bill imo (aliens unlimited if anyone isn't sure where to find it)
taalismn
Priest

Necromantic mecha....Start with a Thunderbeetle, Spiney Ravenger, or Meloch corpse for a ground-pounder...or a Zavor for a flying PA...start stitching on parts...Or maybe a Metzla... :twisted:

Seems to me if you brought a Flesh Sculptor over from Nightspawn, you could use their talents too to put together a 'Franken'bot'...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

taalismn wrote:Necromantic mecha....Start with a Thunderbeetle, Spiney Ravenger, or Meloch corpse for a ground-pounder...or a Zavor for a flying PA...start stitching on parts...Or maybe a Metzla... :twisted:

oh, i always figured on a hollowed-out xiticix for a flying power armor, hadn't really considered the robot vehicle angle.
taalismn
Priest

Shark_Force wrote:
taalismn wrote:Necromantic mecha....Start with a Thunderbeetle, Spiney Ravenger, or Meloch corpse for a ground-pounder...or a Zavor for a flying PA...start stitching on parts...Or maybe a Metzla... :twisted:

oh, i always figured on a hollowed-out xiticix for a flying power armor, hadn't really considered the robot vehicle angle.

Yep...big corpses...because your necromancer wants to travel in STYLE... :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

My 1st thought was to replace the armor and structure with wood enchanted with the Iron Wood spell.
This might be done gradually, to repair a bot or if they had the materials to build the control systems but not the rest of the bot.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

taalismn wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

Yep...big corpses...because your necromancer wants to travel in STYLE... :twisted:

I wrote this up awhile ago and posted it

The Death Riders O.C.C.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64406
taalismn
Priest

Mallak's Place wrote:
I wrote this up awhile ago and posted it

The Death Riders O.C.C.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64406

Oh...that's good...good and dead.... :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

taalismn wrote:A Necromancer MIGHT be able to create something akin to a temporary Suit of Zombie power armor with enough corpse grafting around himself....

I actually did this, i used enchantment and necromancy to make a suit of necromantic power armor. It was ridiculously complicated in that each strip of flesh, sinew tie off, and bone had to be shaped and enchanted separately and then together. I made it out of bone and hide, and had spells built in to the armor in stead of putting weapons in. for example, the first one had touch of death built in to harm creatures, and deathbolt for long ranged attacks, the boots and a spell built in to let them walk on water or smoke. All in all, each piece added a function, and when all put together, created a full suit of power armor.

I made several of them. First i just made one as the avatar of death. Later i made elemental versions for each element. I even used biomancy to create a similar suit for an avatar of life. I wish i still had the stats so i could post them, when you put enough effort into your creations, you will love them, you just gotta make them.

The thing about all this is not whether or not it can be done. It's whether or not you're willing to put in the effort. If you cant concieve doing it, you wont be able to. Rifts pretty much just gives you the materials, you decide what can and cant be done. Then its up to you to do it, if someone else already hasn't.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

war wings

In the commonwealth of Rashita, they developed a method of manipulating god's life code of the creatures in it's realm. They first produced several enhanced versions of their domesticated animals. Improving strength, stamina, speed. However, this process made many defectives for every successful product. So it was banned for use on there people, fearing the people would turn on the scholars that were using the method to bring the new livestock into being.
Fifty years later, one of Rashita's fellow nations also developed ti's own method of changing the creatures of it's land. However, this nation hid it's abilities from the other nations, and started to make creatures as war mounts and weapons. Making enhanced horses that could run faster and longer, and flying creatures to scout and carry messages. These things the nation was careful to hide there existence from their neighboring nations. But even more carefully did they hide the new flying beasts from every other nation. These beasts were made from an aggressive reptile, and given wings and other abilities. However, they were much to aggressive a beast to control through normal training. So at hatching they implanted with a control matrix to limit their abilities.
It was a hundred years before this nation had enough of it new weapons to make a bid at taking over it's neighboring nations. So began a 200 year war between it and the of the nations of half the world. During these time the other nations were able to capture or replicate the war beast that were being used to attack them. In the end, an uneasy cessation of hostilities, one side with ether the troops and war beasts to destroy the aggressor nation, and the other side with a doomsday weapon.

War wings
There are three different types of war wings ,each only differentiated by skin color and the type of breath weapon. Crafted into the war wings is a pilot's nook where the pilot lays and controls the beast at the base of it's neck.
IQ: 1d6+6 (animal) SNPSe: 2d4x10 PP: 3d6 SNPEe: 2d6x10 PB1d6+5 spd:2d6+12 flying speed: 2d6+120 mph
SDC: PEx10
HP: PEx2
(MDC: half of HP+SDC)
PPE: 1500
Length: 60'
height: 12'
wingspan: 100'
weight: 7-10 tons
abilities:
enhanced eyesight: can spot a hare at 10 miles out. nightvision: same as during daytime (needs at least starlight to function) Sees in the UV through the orange ranges.
Enhanced PS & PE factored into attributes already
Breath weapon (Azures: Lighting, Ambers: Fire, Greens: Gas)
-Lighting: 5000', 3d6x10, RoF: twice per melee, cost: 100 PPE, Area of Effect: 3' radius
-Fire (Ball): 3500', 3d6x20, RoF: twice per melee, cost: 120 PPE, Area of Effect: 10' radius
-Gas (neuro-toxin): 1500', vs lethal poison -4 passed saving throw: 2d6 HP damage, RoF: once every other melee, cost: 200 PPE, Area of Effect: 40' wide x 100' long

combat:(ground) 4 APM, claws: +2d6 damage, tail & bite: same as Power Strike, wing buffet: half strike damage
Combat:(flying) 5 APM, claws: +1d6 damage, tail & bite: same as Strike, wing buffet: half strike damage, crushing landing (called shot): 4d4x100

Note: it is the pilot that fires the war wing's breath weapons, this is done psionicly through the control matrix in the war wing's brain. The matrix is connected to the pilot's head gear which also links the pilot to the war wing's visual centers.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Squiz wrote:

it's a bit hard to say. Splicers is a zero-magic world, so magic dosn't exsist and can't be used in the world it origionated from, so no rules were developed for it.

Magic does work there, but it's severly depowered. There are rules for it, but no one on that world actually practices it as it's unheard of and frankly, for the pittiful power you get from it, there's no reason to learn it.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Squiz wrote:Yeah, but there's just something cool about a TW Power Armor suit that would allow a mage to cast spells and imbue bonuses and such. Dunno.

If all you're looking for is something that will allow a mage to cast spells within, anything with carbon in it should suffice so long as the old rule re: organic still applies (most of my books are elsewhere right now). The definition of 'organic' within the scope of materials technology is 'contains carbon', so steel, ceramics, plastics, concrete, and just about all of the alloys in the world are 'organic', technically speaking.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:war wings.

Like.... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:War wings are pretty sweet.

I would like to see some faster organic based ftight system that can keep up with tech based system or aleast out manuver them.

Hit Heroes Unlimited for organic superpower-based flight....
"Yeah, this bird was engineered with Kryptonian genes! Faster than a speeding bullet! Just don't go near any Kryptonite!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:A spell that mimics Supersonic Flight would be cool enough.

Likely to be PPE expensive, though....Easier to Teleport, but with Teleport, you gotta know where you want to be in advance; you can't just cruise around....

That having been said, I'm getting images in my mind of a genetically engineered power armor with a large skull/carapace filled with modified brain matter for amplifying psionic abilities and powering more abilities like Psi-Sword, Psionic Teleport, and the like...
Just remember to feed the thing....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:A spell that mimics Supersonic Flight would be cool enough.

Well, get to it. And Post it in the Invented spells topic.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Systems Failure also has some organic power armor.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
taalismn
Priest

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:Systems Failure also has some organic power armor.

That would be my first resource for this sort of thing...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Squiz wrote:Could a almost completely natural material PA be constructed? I was thinking about this the other day, it could go like this.

The goal is that a magic user could take advantage of it, and be able to cast magic spells. This would mean that the exo-skeleton is made up of completely natural MDC materials, and the inside mechanics be operated through Techno-Wizardry. Would this be possible?

I just had a though... Imagine a Samas or Glitterboy sculpted of bone rather then MDC alloy, converted to MDC and animated via bone magic/necromancy. Just like the real deal with pilot compartment and everything but no need for nuke reactor or other mechanical systems. Would be lighter and one could potentially use thicker bone in some crucial areas to protect the wearer better.

Edit* looks like others have had simular necromantic ideas
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

taalismn wrote:
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:Systems Failure also has some organic power armor.

That would be my first resource for this sort of thing...

Modify or use the Eugenics Hero in Powers Unlimited 2, for your organic PA maybe.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Thinyser wrote:
Squiz wrote:Could a almost completely natural material PA be constructed? I was thinking about this the other day, it could go like this.

The goal is that a magic user could take advantage of it, and be able to cast magic spells. This would mean that the exo-skeleton is made up of completely natural MDC materials, and the inside mechanics be operated through Techno-Wizardry. Would this be possible?

I just had a though... Imagine a Samas or Glitterboy sculpted of bone rather then MDC alloy, converted to MDC and animated via bone magic/necromancy. Just like the real deal with pilot compartment and everything but no need for nuke reactor or other mechanical systems. Would be lighter and one could potentially use thicker bone in some crucial areas to protect the wearer better.

Edit* looks like others have had simular necromantic ideas

Don't let that stop you.

Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

I know many moons ago (I'm talking around the Crow T. Robot and Thunderstrike time period) there was a Rifts fansite where the creator had a Gene-Splicer named Grall that formed his own bio-juicer and a suit of organic power armor.

Not sure if it's exactly allowable to copy and paste it here since it isn't my property though, can a mod give me a yea or nay to this?
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Was going through the R13 book for something else and I can back across the Necro-Tech class. I thought to mention it here because they can make NT bionics, and make Techno-Horrors.
taalismn
Priest

Whatever works, man, whatever works...from growing 'em in a vat to raiding the graveyard(or slaughterhouse)... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

necro is not the boat I travel on, but I can see Dr. Frankenstein's boat over there.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:necro is not the boat I travel on, but I can see Dr. Frankenstein's boat over there.

Yeah, the hunchback in the sailor costume on deck and the lightning bolts hitting the mast kinda give it away...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:necro is not the boat I travel on, but I can see Dr. Frankenstein's boat over there.

Yeah, the hunchback in the sailor costume on deck and the lightning bolts hitting the mast kinda give it away...

At least he is wearing of trousers and not a skirt.
taalismn
Priest

Harry Leferts wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
taalismn wrote:

At least he is wearing of trousers and not a skirt.

His wife on the other hand...

Signed,
Harry Leferts

Okay...which dead supermodels contributed to THAT figure?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Yeah, prehensile tails are apparently all the rage in Paris now...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”