RUE Hand to Hand-Commando Auto Dodge Question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

RUE Hand to Hand-Commando Auto Dodge Question

Unread post by Yendor »

Since it seems to be missing from CWC to RUE update, what level do those with HtH-Commando get Automatic Dodge at? CWC lists it at Level 5, but RUE Hand to Hand-Commando only lists "5th Level: +2 to Automatic Dodge."
Balabanto
Champion

Re: RUE Hand to Hand-Commando Auto Dodge Question

Unread post by Balabanto »

That's when you get it, and you get a +2 Bonus.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

I personally only apply the Commando auto-dodge to hand to hand combat rather than ranged combat. It's a house rule but it seems silly that all of a sudden commandos have the same super human reflexes as a Juicer or Crazy.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

grandmaster z0b wrote:I personally only apply the Commando auto-dodge to hand to hand combat rather than ranged combat. It's a house rule but it seems silly that all of a sudden commandos have the same super human reflexes as a Juicer or Crazy.

I think of it as superior combat training allowing anticipation far better than most soldiers.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
grandmaster z0b wrote:I personally only apply the Commando auto-dodge to hand to hand combat rather than ranged combat. It's a house rule but it seems silly that all of a sudden commandos have the same super human reflexes as a Juicer or Crazy.

I think of it as superior combat training allowing anticipation far better than most soldiers.

i do the same.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Balabanto
Champion

I treat it as S.C.A.R.S. or the equivalent.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:
Balabanto wrote:I treat it as S.C.A.R.S. or the equivalent.

??? care to explain,please. PM me if you must.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=s.c ... =s.c.a.r.s. (at a guess)
Balabanto
Champion

Yes. That is correct. This is why people always ask me "Why do you allow all those 4 skill martial arts with body hardening techniques, etc?"

And my answer is always "Hand to hand Commando is better." No matter what people might think those arts grant them, HTH commando is better than 90 percent of them and costs way less.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Dustin Fireblade wrote:

Actually I find it hard to understand how much better it is comparatively. Every other class that gets auto-dodge has Super-human reflexes, which generally have a severe cost; Juicers die and Crazies go crazy, Grey Seers get it because they can see the future but they are also pacifists. However all of a sudden a guy that's in the army gets to learn a skill that makes him the equivalent of these superhumans with no drawback?

To me it's like introducing a skill that all of sudden allowed you to do MD punches without any sort of magic, psychic or tech powers. For me that's the real power creep, I don't mind guns and spells that do more damage; that's an arms race, but these new skills that have all the advantages but none of the disadvantages they annoy me.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

you should watch a boxer with really good head movement spar a guy that isn't that great

you'll see why autododge is reasonable

its not a matter of speed but of skill
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

csbioborg wrote:you should watch a boxer with really good head movement spar a guy that isn't that great

you'll see why autododge is reasonable

its not a matter of speed but of skill

Well thanks for the advice but strangely enough I have watched boxing before.

By that logic everyone who has the skill of boxing should get auto-dodge at some stage (or maybe only if they also have the skill "really good head movement"). Also in your example it's actually far more reasonable to suggest that one boxer is higher level and simply has more attacks per round.

This is a rules question; why should commandos get auto-dodge when all other forms of hand to hand combat do not and it is usually only available to select super humans who have speed and reaction times far greater than a normal human. Remember this isn't just the ability to move out of the way quicker but to be moving so quickly and to be so twitchy and hyper that they get a dodge even when attacked by surprise from behind.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

grandmaster z0b wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:

Actually I find it hard to understand how much better it is comparatively. Every other class that gets auto-dodge has Super-human reflexes, which generally have a severe cost; Juicers die and Crazies go crazy, Grey Seers get it because they can see the future but they are also pacifists. However all of a sudden a guy that's in the army gets to learn a skill that makes him the equivalent of these superhumans with no drawback?

To me it's like introducing a skill that all of sudden allowed you to do MD punches without any sort of magic, psychic or tech powers. For me that's the real power creep, I don't mind guns and spells that do more damage; that's an arms race, but these new skills that have all the advantages but none of the disadvantages they annoy me.

But doesn't it create parity amongst the OCC's though? Normal humans can now get the ability with this skill, and it's a expensive skill to get to just select few combat OCC's. How many OCC's actually start with this skill anyway? I can only think of three off top of my head (CS Commando and Special Forces, and the Paratrooper). And it's really not that high of a bonus when compared to what the augmented OCC's could end up with.

Also, going way back to Conversion Book 1, the original at least, the section on dodging provides the Rifts players two options for considering how dodge works - both are quite valid. Now those with auto-dodge via Commando HtH simply take it to another level because of their training.

Lastly, I do agree with you in principle - all the HtH skills grant a particular move at some level, and a lot of them get a +2, +3 or maybe even higher right off the bat. I'd prefer a system where the bonus are gained more gradually.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
grandmaster z0b wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:

But doesn't it create parity amongst the OCC's though? Normal humans can now get the ability with this skill, and it's a expensive skill to get to just select few combat OCC's. How many OCC's actually start with this skill anyway? I can only think of three off top of my head (CS Commando and Special Forces, and the Paratrooper). And it's really not that high of a bonus when compared to what the augmented OCC's could end up with.

Also, going way back to Conversion Book 1, the original at least, the section on dodging provides the Rifts players two options for considering how dodge works - both are quite valid. Now those with auto-dodge via Commando HtH simply take it to another level because of their training.

Lastly, I do agree with you in principle - all the HtH skills grant a particular move at some level, and a lot of them get a +2, +3 or maybe even higher right off the bat. I'd prefer a system where the bonus are gained more gradually.

I suppose I don't want it to create parity with the other OCC's, as the Juicer and Crazy get definite disadvantages for the special ability to auto-dodge. Military OCCs tend to have their own advantages; access to military gear and vehicles, cybernetic upgrades, they usually get a good skill selection and some other combat bonuses.

Maybe I would allow it but only if you knew the attack was coming, not the true auto-dodge that Crazies and Juicers get.

Also I appreciate the civilised tone that this discussion has had, and I'm glad it hasn't degenerated into an argument, thanks everyone!

Lastly sorry if I've threadjacked but it seemed the initial question had been answered.
Balabanto
Champion

The answer is, it DOESN'T provide parity with Juicer and Crazy autododge because Automatic Dodge itself is just a maneuver that doesn't cost you an action. Crazies and Juicers can autododge even if they CAN'T see it coming. Big difference.
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

Balabanto wrote:The answer is, it DOESN'T provide parity with Juicer and Crazy autododge because Automatic Dodge itself is just a maneuver that doesn't cost you an action. Crazies and Juicers can autododge even if they CAN'T see it coming. Big difference.

I think that might be part of the problem with Commando auto-dodge, the ability has a fuzzy discription for the commando. A small note in the HTH commando text might solve this debate in the future.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Balabanto wrote:The answer is, it DOESN'T provide parity with Juicer and Crazy autododge because Automatic Dodge itself is just a maneuver that doesn't cost you an action. Crazies and Juicers can autododge even if they CAN'T see it coming. Big difference.

You see I thought that is a better way too run it but that Auto-dodge always provided you with a free dodge even if you couldn't see it coming.
Shadow Wyrm wrote:I think that might be part of the problem with Commando auto-dodge, the ability has a fuzzy discription for the commando. A small note in the HTH commando text might solve this debate in the future.

Agreed.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

seriously at the end of the day you need the CS to be able to stand up to Mystic knights and Magnus
which get ridicoulous bonunes and extra attacks especially in the case of the battle magus

this arguement coulod be mre readily used on the battle magnus better than the CS Commando
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

csbioborg wrote:seriously at the end of the day you need the CS to be able to stand up to Mystic knights and Magnus
which get ridicoulous bonunes and extra attacks especially in the case of the battle magus

this arguement coulod be mre readily used on the battle magnus better than the CS Commando

Well considering we were discussing autododge I don't see how that's particularly appropriate. Anyway the CS doesn't need some super hand to hand combat to stand up to Mystic knights and Battle Magus' they have power armour, giants robots, borgs, juicers etc.

(Although this Magnus guy who gets ridiculous bonunes sounds pretty awesome)
csbioborg
Champion

well not really
at the end of the day we are discussing how a normal albiet very well trained person is getting similar bonunes to a augemented person like a juicer

a commando is getting it through autododge
a magnus is getting it though many extra attacks and other bonues
grandmaster z0b
Champion

csbioborg wrote:well not really
at the end of the day we are discussing how a normal albiet very well trained person is getting similar bonunes to a augemented person like a juicer

Actually I agree that a magus get's too many bonuses, especially post-RUE when they can cast quicker. At least they have a reason behind it though, they are augmented through magic.
csbioborg
Champion

grandmaster z0b wrote:
csbioborg wrote:well not really

Actually I agree that a magus get's too many bonuses, especially post-RUE when they can cast quicker. At least they have a reason behind it though, they are augmented through magic.

their combat abilities are not
they get those bonues simply due to their training
grandmaster z0b
Champion

SamtheDagger wrote:From RUE 344:
"Automatic Dodge: Certain characters and creatures are able to automatically dodge an attack without using up a melee attack/action. It is purely a defensive move in which the dodger bobs, weaves, bends or twists his body out of harm's way. Roll for a dodge as normal (the automatic dodge is not an "automatic" success). An automatic dodge works Just like a (automatic) parry in that the act of dodging does not use up an attack to perform. Bonuses to auto-dodge come from the character's P.P. attribute and any special bonus specifically for it (the bonus, skill or enhancement will say "automatic dodge"). Unless it specifically says a character has an Automatic Dodge, he does NOT."

Hopefully that clears up the issue of whether or not auto-dodge = Juicer/Crazy auto-dodge. It's just a free action. Normal auto-dodge does not let you dodge attacks from behind or surprise attacks. Add to that an auto-dodge is almost always lower than a character's normal dodge or parry bonus plus the auto-dodge bonus from HTH: Commando is always lower than Juicer/Crazy auto-dodge and not gained until level 5. And how many O.C.C.s actually get access to HTH: Commando? Only 3 in the main book (and that's counting the Crazy who already gets auto-dodge). Sure there are others, but clearly this is not a common skill.

So what's with all the whining?

Actually that clears that up, I assumed that they got the auto-dodge from behind. So thank-you for that.

However having an opinion about a rule is hardly whining and I don't think that's really called for.

Return to “Rifts®”