The War on the Hard Roads

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GlitterKnight
Dungeon Crawler

The War on the Hard Roads

Unread post by GlitterKnight »

Humanity has little need for roads anymore. The Machine controls the surface, making travel and commerce under the open sky suicidal at best. But the Machine uses many forms of transport to shuttle resources and robots around. While Sky Transports are swift and powerful, not all of the Machine's transport needs are met by them. Other methods are still required...

The metropolises and infastructure of what was human civilization are still maintained scrupulously by the fractured mind of the Machine. NEXUS still follows parts of its original programming and sees to it that the Ghost Towns are maintained and populated by its Androids. But there are parts of NEXUS that were responsible for maintenance of roadways and travel, as well as transportation and traffic enforcement. So along with the Ghost Towns are maintained the Hard Roads; MDC asphalt and steel constructions that stretch for miles upon miles, linking great Ghost Towns and annihilated ruins of cities destroyed during the Machine's first Great Purge.

Some cities and towns were dismantled by the Machine or destroyed during the Purge. Some roads terminate to clearings or just stop in the middle of forests and at the edges of preserves, then continue where they began again on the other side. They are eerie and frightening, and well patrolled by swift patrol vehicle robots of the Machine, motorcycles and cars, as well as Strike Fighters and Steel Trooper APCs.

Some members of the Resistance refuse to see reason and swear to take the fight to the Machine on all fronts, including the Hard Roads. Whether there is a method to their madness or they are just psychotically bold, some roam the Hard Roads, ambushing convoys traveling between Ghost Towns, Power Farms and Industrial sites. They hope to cripple the machine's ability to wage war by interfering with her supply networks and building projects. Foremost among these Hard Road Warriors are the cells of Technojackers called the Speed Tribes.

The Speed Tribes have become extremely adept at vehicle combat and modification. They capture and reprogam various vehicles and robots to serve their needs, often modifying them heavily to reflect their aesthetics and their blazen defiance of the Machine. They favor heavily armed and stripped down vehicles, emphasizing firepower and speed. They make swift attacks with all the weapons bolted on to their fast attack vehicles and then burn rubber, trying to escape the Machine's retaliation. They have been very successful at this, their insane, high speed antics frustrating even the Machine's attempts at retribution. They count no non 'jackers amongst themselves, as they rely on stolen and repurposed Machine tech for their vehicles. They often disguise their vehicles as the plain and simple vehicles the drones drive in their endless cruises in order to blend in before they launch their attacks

The Speed Tribes answer to no Great House and prefer their own company and that of their fellow Technojackers. They salvage much from the surface ruins that they sell to the Resistance and their fellow Jackers but they do not have much love for the Great Houses of the Resistance. The first Speed Tribes were Technojackers who were thrown out of the havens by their fellow humans who believed them guilty of collusion with the Machine, as evidenced by their abilities. This was in the early days before the nature of the nanoplague was fully known. These lone Technojackers banded together and seized all the old vehicles and robot tech they chould find, and began their life as surface nomads. Unlike their hated neighbours, the Waste Crawlers, they don't prey on their fellow humans, as the Resistance has little they want except micro disks, which they can still access. They use the technical data they gain to improve their machines and weapons, but also take delight in their ability to still enjoy the fruits of mankinds' creative genius. They love to ride into battle with ancient music blasting from their bike's and car's stereo systems, shouting their defiance to the Machine.

They favor heavy motorcyles and light and fast cars and light trucks. They armor their vehicles as lightly as possible, stripping their frames to bare bones and bolting as many machine weapons as they can on. They love to strip heavy weapons from assault robots and mount those as well. Their vehicles are bizarre conglomerations of scavenged vehicles, robot weapons and parts and strange creature comforts, like leather seats and fuzzy dice, and the absolutely essential overpowered sound systems. Their ability to power everything themselves makes their vehicles unusable to the Machine or anyone but a Technojacker. They're all guns, armor, engine and hardened compartment; no fuel or power source. Their stripped down cars and trucks they call "buggies" and they mount the heaviest weapons, but most prefer motorcycles, everything from monobikes, two wheelers, to trikes and quads. Some maniacal members ride shotgun to the bikes, operating additional weapons and making insane leaps mid battle to hack Machine vehicles and robots. It is a breathtaking sight to see.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Re: The War on the Hard Roads

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

this is similarly awesome to the Colossus. No, this is even more awesome. I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:this is similarly awesome to the Colossus. No, this is even more awesome. I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Sigged.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
GlitterKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Aww shucks Zigg, it tweren't nuthin.

This is what happens when I read Rifts: Australia right before I buy Splicers. Now the two must have an unholy fusion of awesome Road Warrior Combat!

Granted, Terminator: Salvation had a very similar bit; I especially liked the part where Connor trips the motorcycle-bot and hotwires it to ride. That's kind of one of the base ideas; the Speed Tribes using things like that and salvaged 'droid vehicles.

I'm gonna start statting up some ideas for Hard Road patrol bots; it will no doubt involve some kind of motorcycle centaur robot, because I just can't not do that.

:D
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

1. I just got sigged. And to think i almost missed out on that post because i was having a hard time expressing the fantasicness without profanity.

2. Do it. It must be done, For great justice. Or something.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I like this idea. It shows some new splinter cultures and combat fronts that exist in the War Against the Machine....and plays to a certain macho mystique of the 'Freedom of the Road' and an ironic nod to the Love of the Automobile....Only now the cars drive themselves and the Road isn't free for humans....

THis is part 'Christine' and part 'Maxium Overdrive' with a central core of 'Road Warrior'... :nuke: :ok:

Would love to see some TechnoJacker homebuilts, some NEXUS road machines, and some Splicer road-animals(like the Catillac Cruiser, predator of the hardtop...)

Why Johnny Can't Speed; The Machine blew him away for driving fifty-five...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
GlitterKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Lol taalismn, now I really can't abandon the idea. I hadn't thought of Christine, but that's a great reference to include! Part of the nod to the Machine's maintaining of "traffic enforcement" is that it sends what are essentially Steel Hard Road Troopers...and gives them a decidedly 'traffic cop/state trooper' vibe. The Speed Tribes make all kinds of references to the Machines they fight, making light of their anachronistic appearance. But no Speed Tribesman worth his axle grease is afraid of the "Steel Fuzz"!

I intend to stat up a couple of stock customizable chassis for the Jacker vehicles, bringing in at least some of the rules from AtB for car customization, and also to stat up some new Machines to prowl the Hard Roads; a couple of super fast interceptor bike/centaur bots, Steel Trooper patrol cars, robot APCs, and the Nex-droids econo-cars and suchlike.

But the big idea I've got is the Machine's Road Trains; massive, powerful, armored and armed tractor trailer vehicles that haul several trailers and move in synchronicity. The Machine links several drone drivers or control computers together for the Road Train convoys; only one of the Road Trains has an actual AI equipped bot controlling it, the others just obey it. Playing "Spot the Boss Train" is going to be a Speed Tribe's favorite pastime, as they jockey to get close enough to what they presume is the lead Train and send their boarders across to try to seize control of it and all the Trains in the convoy.

Naturally, the robots take a dim view of this. NEXUS has even begun outfitting whole Road Train convoys with independent guidance and filling them with Steel Troopers and concealed weaponry, luring Speed Tribes in with the promise of loot and then springing the combat bots and weapons out, like a 50 ton MDC Trojan Horse!

I'm not sure about Splicers and War Mounts for the Hard Roads; the huge preponderance of metal would keep most of way, and few Splicers dare to operate so openly on the surface. The Speed Tribes have become masters of electronic counter measures though; they know how to jam the Machine's signals and when and how to broadcast the right Friend or Foe recognition codes to keep the Machine's road patrols from hammering them all the time.
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

Wow, probably the coolest idea I've read in months :ok: . Really awesome. Would love to see some hard stats!
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

but then he cant post it.

The Galactus Kid

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:but then he cant post it.

But a Rifter Article would be great. I'm thinking that we should flood the Rifter with Splicers material to allow for some more visibility. Something like this would really help.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

The Galactus Kid

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:

THere is always a price for awsome.

Truth

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:

THere is always a price for awsome.

Truth

I cannot argue this.

GlitterKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Well I agree with the sentiment, I can.

Its spelled "awesome".

Lol, thanks for the support though.
The Galactus Kid

GlitterKnight wrote:Well I agree with the sentiment, I can.

Its spelled "awesome".

See? It's already coming out. That writer inside of you is itching to be set free. Here is what you need to do.
1) Post on the Splicer Awareness month thread
2) Write this up for submission to the Rifter
3) Continue to write awesome stuff.

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

The Galactus Kid wrote:
GlitterKnight wrote:Well I agree with the sentiment, I can.

Its spelled "awesome".

See? It's already coming out. That writer inside of you is itching to be set free. Here is what you need to do.
1) Post on the Splicer Awareness month thread
2) Write this up for submission to the Rifter
3) Continue to write awesome stuff.

Do it, I'd do it for you, but I'd be afraid to taint the incredible with my influence.

Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

and also to stat up some new Machines to prowl the Hard Roads; a couple of super fast interceptor bike/centaur bots,

I am all for the Hard roads and think it to be a wonderful addition to the Splicers setting. I envisioned the Technojackers in some sleek armored gun array vehical roaming behind some NEXUS truck design weaving in and out racing down the highway listening to Rob Zombies Demonese Phenomenon and then identifying a Prototype Carrier loaded with new NEXUS drones and speeds into the fray to begin his strike.

As to an interceptor bike centuar, kind of beat you to that one. It was previewed at the POH 09. As stated on this thread, the cost of coming up with so many ideas that are slated for publishing is not being able to demonstrate them earlier. I still say go for it as there is never enough innovations and there may be distinct differences in what you come up with versus what we did. Man I am anxious to get this book complete!

There are a ton of visuals that just flow through my head thinking about Hard Roads! Simply stellar idea Glitter!!!
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

I made a centaur type superfast interceptor, but am not to impressed with it. It seems everyone has this idea.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

but how would the great houses respond to the machine's hard-roads?

i keep envisioning bands of demonic looking commando's riding asphalt munching Porcine battle-mounts..Hell's angels and their Hogs...
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
GlitterKnight
Dungeon Crawler

War pigs plot destruction...

Sorry, I had to do that. I haven't decided yet if the Great Houses take the war to the Hard Roads or how. Lots and lots of metal for them to be worried about with relatively little to interest them. The Speed Tribes attack the Machine's convoys to loot weapons and gear, as well as give them a righteous kicking. I was thinking of maybe making some really crazy War Mounts; I heard some biologists thought up how to make an organic wheel; like on that turns on an axle for locomotion...I need to look that up.

:D

Also I looked into it; I can post my ideas here and still submit them to the Rifter; they just don't have to go very far to find them.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Giant moles undermining the Hard Roads.... :-D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

taalismn wrote:Giant moles undermining the Hard Roads.... :-D

Like a host mole armor, I think a goeffer would be better. Never had a mole problem myself, but goeffers suck.
GlitterKnight
Dungeon Crawler

I like that idea, but to make it better...how about giant be-tentacled burrowing worms instead?

The true madness of the Hard Roads is that most of them go absolutely no where. Plenty are just immaculately maintained roadways through barren trackless deserts and wildernesses. The cities they once served were wiped out by the Machine and never rebuilt, so they are just pointless wastes of the Machine's insane energies. But they are a great way to make the Machine waste its time and resources. So the Great Houses who dwell near the more expansive networks of Hard Roads developed the Terra Wyrms, a massive subterranean War Mount, based partly on earth worms and other burrowing creatures, as well as equal parts alien life forms and something not unlike the Seedlings. They are the fastest burrowers in the Great Houses stables, and can speed through the earth as fast as a galloping Mega Horse.

This allows the Outriders who master the bizarre creatures to provide their comrades with tunnels and trench works in record time to infiltrate the Machine's power bases. A favorite job that the Terra Wyrms and their Outriders enjoy is undermining the Machine's buildings and infrastructure, and their is nothing they enjoy more than sabotaging huge stretches of the Hard Roads, causing massive sinkholes that drop huge convoys of vehicles and robots into massive pits.

I'll stat up the Terra Wyrms later, and work more on the setting idea as well. For the next couple weeks though, I'm far too swamped with schoolwork. But I'll start really fleshing out the idea over Christmas break. Stay tuned!
GlitterKnight
Dungeon Crawler

The Speed Tribes

The Speed Tribes are a unique and asymetrical group. They are larger than life characters, full of bravado and some amount of madness. They are bold and brash, but also cunning and secretive. A group of only Techno Jackers, they are a small population anyway. They come from many places; Great Houses, Havens, Seedlings, Retro Villages, Machine slave camps. They are nomads and view themselves as apart even from their fellow humans. They were integral to the survival and creation of the nomadic mercenary class of Techno Jackers, but do not live that way themselves.

They have little to nothing to do with Splicers or Resistance members. The Tribes are full of mistrust and ancient greivances against the Resistance who cast their forebears out of the Havens because of their ignorance and suspicion. So the Speed Tribes have nothing but scorn for most of their fellow humans. The prisoners of the Retro Villages deserve their pity, and they do what they can to help them. They welcome any Techno Jacker from the Retro Villages, but will only accept those from the Resistance who foreswear taking any warlord's coin. The extremists among the Tribes care nothing for non Jackers, those they call the "Ironless".

As part of their rejection of Resistance culture, they are purely democratic and egalitarian. The Tribes elect their own chieftains, presidents, elders, or executives, and they are subject to impeachment at will. There is no division of labor among them, everyone is expected to be self suffucient and capable, though inevitably there are those who are better or more interested in certain skill sets. So the Tribes till have warrior brotherhoods, mechanics guilds, scavenger packs and hunting parties, but everyone knows the basics of all of those skill sets.

The Tribes are all small; only a few hundred to a thousand members each. Only the handful of large tribes can reach a thousand when fully assembled, a rare event. The Tribes travel in small bands and crews, a few dozen to a hundred, and continue their struggle with the Machine. Smaller groups are easier to support and hide; stealth is very important to them, as is mobility. The tribes hunt and gather for their provenance, as well as surreptitously trading food for whatever safe artifacts they gather from the ruined cities that the Villagers desire or find useful.

The Tribes also conduct their own war against the Machine, but they lack the greater focus and organization of the Resistance. Some have theorized the reason they do not fight as hard because they fear the Machine less. They live in its shadow, and the nanoplague is their tool rather than their bane.
The Galactus Kid

AGREED!!!

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

The Galactus Kid wrote:AGREED!!!

thirded.

Return to “Splicers®”