ocean levels

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kevarin
Adventurer

ocean levels

Unread post by kevarin »

trying to remember what book and on what page it says how many ft the ocean levels went
up after atlantis returned
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Re: ocean levels

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

I can't recall were I've seen it but its 250 ft. or there abouts. I know its atleast this much because when I drive around the CA Central Valley I check city elevations to figure out what would be under water.
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

im useing google maps with a sea level ajuster in it a 250ft rise in sea level would put flordia and several other places mentioned in rifts under water could it be 25 ft ? i was trying to find out if a few places i was wanting to use in california would be under water at 250 ft its not under water so i should be good but would still like a book and page # on this info
would be very helpfull.
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

kevarin wrote:im useing google maps with a sea level ajuster in it a 250ft rise in sea level would put flordia and several other places mentioned in rifts under water could it be 25 ft ? i was trying to find out if a few places i was wanting to use in california would be under water at 250 ft its not under water so i should be good but would still like a book and page # on this info
would be very helpfull.

Kevin never had a google map when he raised the sea level for Rifts, so it dosn't look like it would if the sea levels got that high.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

alternately, we could assume that in the upheaval, the level of the ground could have changed as well.
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

I'd assume at least some upheaval. Really you can't just create new land, if something goes up, something must go down and I can't really imagine that all sea floors just dropped. However, there are several canon references to strange lands being rifted in (new mineral deposits that weren't there pre-rifts, etc, etc).

I'd assume that a bit of the extra land was upheaval from earth quakes, continental plates moving and also upheaval from new lands rifted in (maybe even just deposits or bits of other worlds shoved in deep underground). Of course this would also mean some of the ocean floors have been pushed down as well.
-Matt
Nightmaster
Hero

Unread post by Nightmaster »

You guys are forgeting that the continet of Atlantis was in a dimensional pocket and when the ambient PPE rised to a given level it simple reappeared.

By that alone I can guess that the majority of the sea water presented in the location Atlantis were was rifted to the same pocket dimension that the continent was imprisioned (switched places). That would explain why the sea level dindt raise that much.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

That sucking sound you hear...is part of Earth's oceans draining out through dimensional Rifts....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

I havn't found a solid number yet,but on pg. 146 of Rift's RPG is says that everything south of Tampa is under 200 ft of water.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Shadow Wyrm wrote:I havn't found a solid number yet,but on pg. 146 of Rift's RPG is says that everything south of Tampa is under 200 ft of water.

Which is funny. Tampa averages only 4-8 ft above sea level now.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

A 15ft rise in sea levels would accomplish what you see on the maps in the Rifts books. As for the cities being under water, alot of them were flattened due to the tsunami that continually pounded the coast during the cataclysm. That and the fact that some major cities have an immense amount of underground infrastucture that would have collapsed from earthquakes could explain why some cities sunk.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
taalismn
Priest

TechnoGothic wrote:
Shadow Wyrm wrote:I havn't found a solid number yet,but on pg. 146 of Rift's RPG is says that everything south of Tampa is under 200 ft of water.

Don't buy Tampa real estate then... :D
Unless you're angling for ocean mining rights...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

taalismn wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:

Don't buy Tampa real estate then... :D
Unless you're angling for ocean mining rights...

Which is why I live Inland,on a Hill that around 400 ft high. Very high up for florida. We are like the 3rd or 4th hightest spot in florida.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Isn't that info in WB7 Underseas?
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

jaymz wrote:Isn't that info in WB7 Underseas?

Ok just checked, apparently it isn't.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
taalismn
Priest

TechnoGothic wrote:
Which is why I live Inland,on a Hill that around 400 ft high. Very high up for florida. We are like the 3rd or 4th hightest spot in florida.

The dinosaurs will get yah then....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

One thing tio remeber to is that while Atlantis may have replaced water and Australia now has its inland sea, the ice caps would probably have grown pulling in quite a bit of the extra water over the first century or so during the long nuclear winter so the water levels may have droped back down to more manageable leves by the time of the rifts.

\m/

Return to “Rifts®”