Natural strength and power armor question.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Re: Natural strength and power armor question.

Unread post by keir451 »

styphont wrote:If a character with a supernatural strength of 32 is wearing a power armor suit that grants the wearer a strength of 30 what happens? Which strength score does the character use for combat? Does the character's great strength push the power armor past its limitations and cause it to break or take damage? Does the limitations of the power armor hold back the character's natural strength, only allowing him to use up to the armors maximum? If the character was in a robot his strength would not matter since he controlled the machine from a console and uses buttons and joysticks. But power armor is controlled by direct motion from the body of the wearer.

I apply the concept that if the supernatural strenght exceeds the power armour's then you push it past the design limits and break it. However if the suits strength exceeds your own then there are no problems.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

keir451 wrote:
styphont wrote:If a character with a supernatural strength of 32 is wearing a power armor suit that grants the wearer a strength of 30 what happens? Which strength score does the character use for combat? Does the character's great strength push the power armor past its limitations and cause it to break or take damage? Does the limitations of the power armor hold back the character's natural strength, only allowing him to use up to the armors maximum? If the character was in a robot his strength would not matter since he controlled the machine from a console and uses buttons and joysticks. But power armor is controlled by direct motion from the body of the wearer.

I apply the concept that if the supernatural strenght exceeds the power armour's then you push it past the design limits and break it. However if the suits strength exceeds your own then there are no problems.

I agree with this
I could see the pistons and what not busting
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Power armors have robotic PS.

Exoskeletal enhancements ether give a + to Normal PS or have a fixed Robotic PS.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Power armors have robotic PS.

Exoskeletal enhancements ether give a + to Normal PS or have a fixed Robotic PS.

Yes, that's why someone w/supernatural strength normally can't use them as their strength levels are too high, but if your strength ratings come in under the rating for the P.A. suit by about 5-10 points you can use it. It's not possible for a supernaturally strong perso to use an exo suit, tho'. In my games I have Sea Titans that use heavy Cyborg body armor as they have the strength to manage it w/out penalties.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

If you are a person of exseptional PS and you jump in a power armor, you use the strength of the power armor. If you jump in something like the Gladius and you have greater strength than the armor, you should be able to do your PS damage,but thats just my opinion.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

csbioborg wrote:
keir451 wrote:

I agree with this
I could see the pistons and what not busting

Yup.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

styphont wrote:

What do you mean by this? What are some examples of an exoskeletal enhancement giving a + to normal PS and what book(s) are they in?

there's a triax armor that's just an 'enhanced body armor' or something like that which adds to PS.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

styphont wrote:

What do you mean by this? What are some examples of an exoskeletal enhancement giving a + to normal PS and what book(s) are they in?

CS War Machine
In the new DB body armor section, there is one armor with built ing exoskeleton which give like a +5 to normal PS.
(I should know, one of my chars has the armor so she can carry that Plasma cannon the PA has on the other page of the same book)

HU AU in the Exoskeletal suits, that give a + to Normal PS
HU main book, any Exoskelotal made vis the Robotics power cat have Robotic PS. See the RSB1 for the riftsy version.

What I said was a boiled down from everything in the books, so I meant what I said.
1) PAs have Robotic PS.
2) Exoskeletal enhancements give ether a +<something> to Normal PS or have Robotic PS.
This is with the caveat of "where otherwise noted" is in the description of the exoskeletal enhancement.

The reason didn't use the word 'armor' in #2 is because not all exoskeletal enhancements have armor.
Example of a exoskeletal enhancement w/o armor, the power loader Ripely pilots on the movie Aliens.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”