Vampires & Snow

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Vampires & Snow

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

I was just wondering what everyone thought about the effects of snow on a vampire would be.. I'm guessing that vampires don't suffer damage from either snow or ice as it's not water in a liquid form.

While I suppose a vampire who comes in from being outside during a snow storm would suffer damage as the snow melts.

Which brings up a second question.. Do vampires have a body temperature? My guess is no, but I wanna get a sort of consensus from the posters here as I'm drafting up an adventure where this will a detail I don't wish to overlook.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: Vampires & Snow

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

If the vampire lived in England then he would suddenly scream like a little girl at the first sign of anything that even resembles snow, immediately call into work and say he is snowed in cos there 1/2 inch of snow settlling. Then he will go outside and make Snow angels in what is still mud (as the snow isnt settling after all) and throw snowballs the size of maltesers as his wife who will tell him to grow up and shut the bloody door.

It will be the funnist 5 minutes he has in all year before his wife hands him a list of jobs to do around the house as he's not going into work today.

He will then put a stake through his heart as he is now on such a downer.

So, to summarise - Snow would kill the vampire.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

Only running water will kill a Vampire, I'd think it would depend on what kind of snow it is. A very wet snow would probably hurt them but wouldn't kill them because it isn't moving. A powder snow most likely wouldn't hurt them (think of it like wearing a brand new thick wool sweater it might itch a bit and left on long enough give you a rash but after you take it off your good) One inch of rain is equal to something like 8-15 inches of power snow.
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I agree with Bradshaw. Everything I've ever heard or read about vampires, and admitedly is isn't much, states that running water messes them up. So, just the molecular structure of water wouldn't harm them as much as the physical state it is in. Obviously, if it starts melting...

I assume this is what brings you to the question about body temperature. Since the vampire isn't under going cellular respiration there should be be no thermal reactions and thus no body heat. They should be the same temperature as their surroundings.

-Vek
"Vampires suck."
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

Veknironth wrote:I assume this is what brings you to the question about body temperature. Since the vampire isn't under going cellular respiration there should be be no thermal reactions and thus no body heat. They should be the same temperature as their surroundings.

-Vek
"Vampires suck."

i hadnt really thought about this before. do you think a vampires body would eventually freeze solid after spending enough time stuck in sub-zero conditions?
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

t0m wrote:
Veknironth wrote:I assume this is what brings you to the question about body temperature. Since the vampire isn't under going cellular respiration there should be be no thermal reactions and thus no body heat. They should be the same temperature as their surroundings.

-Vek
"Vampires suck."

i hadnt really thought about this before. do you think a vampires body would eventually freeze solid after spending enough time stuck in sub-zero conditions?

Possibly, but I'd consider it the "Encino Man" effect...
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
bradshaw

MT-NME wrote:
Goliath Strongarm wrote:
t0m wrote:

-Vek
"Vampires suck."

Possibly, but I'd consider it the "Encino Man" effect...

What happens when he thaws? :eek: :shock: :eek:

I would have to say since the Vampire is a mystical demon it would not freeze completly through just do to cold. I do think it could be encased in a frozen container strong enough to hold a living vamp ( Magic ice, maybe some type of ice mixed with some MDC fibers, possible a "Carbonite" material ect.) As for thawing it out, I would think that the problem would be 1.) It would have had to be sunlight proof, 2.) the thawed out monster would be staving from not feeding 3.) Unless the frozen container had that Vampires native soil contained in there with it the Staving Vamp would be completly insane and suicidally violent.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. In the Vampire write-up (RWB1: Vampire Kingdoms; page 26 and PFB8: Western Empire; Page 214) states that 1) Vampires do not radiate heat and are cool to the touch, and 2) They're not affected by normal (as in non-magical or otherwise unnatural) heat or cold. In Vampire Kingdoms it does mention they prefer hot dry climates and avoid cold climates because cold climates tend to be wet and humid. It doesn't address snow in particular, but I'd have to agree with the others that snow is not running water (though I don't think I'd consider a water gun running water either, so what do I know?). Hopefully some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

*sigh*

No, snow will not hurt a vampire! In my humble opinion, rain doesn't hurt a vampire either. I know that running water is supposed to harm them, but I tend to think of running water as, at the very least, a flowing creek up to and including an ocean. I don't believe weather such as rain or snow is any more than a nuissance to a vamp. It MIGHT make them uncomfortable or nervous, kind of like an insanity save that was only partially successful, but that's about it.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Well vampire kingdoms specifically mention damage a vampire takes from rain.

Considering the volumes of water and their damage, example a water pistol doing I believe it is 3d6 damage, it doesn't take much water to put the serious hurt on a vampire.

light misting or a very light drizzle probably wouldn't be any worse then the equivelent to having a really bad sunburn, but anything heavier is eventually going to 'melt' a vampire if they stand out in it to long.

For snow, no, not unless the vampire was just walking through a burning building and then stepped out in to a snow storm. In that case the vampire's residual body heat would be enough to melt the snow on contact causing it to run down their body if in sufficient amounts, making it running water.
-Matt
bradshaw

Northern Ranger wrote:*sigh*

No, snow will not hurt a vampire! In my humble opinion, rain doesn't hurt a vampire either. I know that running water is supposed to harm them, but I tend to think of running water as, at the very least, a flowing creek up to and including an ocean. I don't believe weather such as rain or snow is any more than a nuissance to a vamp. It MIGHT make them uncomfortable or nervous, kind of like an insanity save that was only partially successful, but that's about it.

Any water in motion is considered running. Rain is moving from gravity just like a river or the oceans tides.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

bradshaw wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:*sigh*

Any water in motion is considered running. Rain is moving from gravity just like a river or the oceans tides.

I like teh Vampires as a whole as is. Its different and not the sterotypical Vampire of virtually every tother game out there. Unfortunately one of things I dont like is one of the things that also makes them unique and thats the VI that creates the master, but thats just me)

I woudl treat snow as a light mistig since itsfrosen thus not really hittng htem with "water" per se
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I suppose you could encase a vampire in ice much as you could any other substance. You could bury one in dirt, bind it with cloth or something similar, so yes it would work. However, it wouldn't suffer hypothermia or frostbite and would be really angry when released. Of course, it'd have to happen quickly - before it turned into mist.

-Vek
"Not a rainy mist, that would do damage."
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Look folks, water has been used as a cleansing and purifying agent throughout history.
Kevin is drawing upon water's sacred and mythological connotations. Running water is
purifying the vampire, melting away the "sin and evil." Folk traditions created the belief that
running water destroys vampire. At no point in history or mythology has snow affected
the undead. The spirit of the rule is water has to be "moving" as stated in Vampire
Kingdoms (page 28). So snow is not going to hurt a vampire. Now freeze a vampire and
melt the ice that would be running or moving water. Want to see this happen in film watch
Dracula A.D. 1972 with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Reagren Wright wrote:Look folks, water has been used as a cleansing and purifying agent throughout history.
Kevin is drawing upon water's sacred and mythological connotations. Running water is
purifying the vampire, melting away the "sin and evil." Folk traditions created the belief that
running water destroys vampire. At no point in history or mythology has snow affected
the undead. The spirit of the rule is water has to be "moving" as stated in Vampire
Kingdoms (page 28). So snow is not going to hurt a vampire. Now freeze a vampire and
melt the ice that would be running or moving water. Want to see this happen in film watch

Wow. Talk about a blast from the past. Great movie though! I loved those old Hammer films.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Northern Ranger wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:Look folks, water has been used as a cleansing and purifying agent throughout history.

Wow. Talk about a blast from the past. Great movie though! I loved those old Hammer films.

And two excellent Star Wars Alums to boot.... :)
I am geek hear me WHEEZE!
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
DarkwingDuk
Wanderer

Unread post by DarkwingDuk »

Anybody ever wonder how vampires clean themselves? Sandpaper? Beer bath? I mean how do they stop witch hunters from just killing everyone who looks like "pig pen"? I exagerate, but at the same time, it's gotta be rough.
“Illinois Nazis, I hate Illinois Nazis”
“Ummm boB isn’t that a Coalition squad?"
“Like I said, Illinois Nazi’s…….”
boB the Crazy
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

DarkwingDuk wrote:Anybody ever wonder how vampires clean themselves? Sandpaper? Beer bath? I mean how do they stop witch hunters from just killing everyone who looks like "pig pen"? I exagerate, but at the same time, it's gotta be rough.

Greetings and Salutations. I could be wrong, but I don't think a bath is considered "running water." Unless the vamp doesn't know how to fill up the tube and leaves the facet on or something. But if that's the case, the vampire community is probably better off without him. ;)

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

DarkwingDuk
Wanderer

Sure but if water under the influence of gravity is rain and it does damage, everytime the water moves across the vampire we are talking damage. Or does it lose it's potency sitting in the tub?
boB the Crazy
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

In one series I watched about Vampires they were able to take baths by adding special herbs and oils to the water. A way for them to treat the water may be a solution for the problem.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

DarkwingDuk wrote:Anybody ever wonder how vampires clean themselves? Sandpaper? Beer bath? I mean how do they stop witch hunters from just killing everyone who looks like "pig pen"? I exagerate, but at the same time, it's gotta be rough.

The Clense (sp?) spell.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Well, Cleanse would work, but only if the vampire knew it before they became a vampire (for Masters), because they can't learn it after (at least not by the rules). A secondary vampire has to have it before becoming a vampire and hope it's not part of the knowledge he loses (lose half their spells). Which kind of sucks because that means even if a Master happens to know it, he can't even teach it to some of his minions as a survival instinct. Ah well. It can help, but of limited benefit.

To the topic of water, okay, found the reference I was looking for. "Still water" (such as a pool or horse trough, so a tub should count as well) will hurt them, but can't kill them (running water can kill them). So if they're willing to go through some pain that they can heal in a couple minutes, a bath is possible (takes about 2 minutes to heal for every 1 minute in the tub). I believe in older times (or maybe it was one particular culture) where most of a bath is done dry. Maybe get yourself wet, then get out and wash/use soap, then get in the tub (or poor a bucket of water) to rinse off. Yes, it would hurt, but not any real serious pain for a vampire. Ever have to take a shower when there is no hot water? You get in and feel that pure cold water hit your body and your first instinct is to jump right back out, but you want to get clean so you just bear through it. I'd imagine it's something similar for a vampire (mind you, a bath, not a shower as that would be running water and could kill). Sure, it's kind of uncomfortable, but at the very least you can't stand that smell (their sense of smell is at least equal to human, possibly better considering they can track the smell of blood, turn into wolves which track by smell, sensitive to garlic which has a strong smell, etc., though this is just a theory).

Also, while I can't find it written, I believe there is supposed to be at least a certain degree of purity to the water (reasons why doing things like taking a leak on a vampire will do no damage). So once you start factoring in other things such as oils, bath salts, soaps, and your own filth I don't know how pure that source of water is anymore. I'm not sure if the source would be considered dilluded and, if still doing damage, at least do reduced damage. Just another thought to consider.

Anyways, I think that about covers what I wanted to say. Admittedly, when I made my last post I had thought vampires took no damage from still water, but I was wrong. They take damage, it's just no threat of it being lethal (for note, this is listed in their Death by Water weakness). Hopefully some of that helps. If not, then my apologies for wasting your time. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Hmm ... :shock:

Greetings and Salutations again. Okay, I may have another idea. This one is a bit simpler, though not one I had thought of until just this moment. When you transform, do you rule clothes and everything transform as well? Most people do not and rule that clothes get shredded and/or fall to the ground (at least depending on setting). Maybe just do something simple like turn to Mist, then back to normal and all clean. I don't know for sure that this would work, but if clothes can't go with you I don't see why dirt would, especially in mist form (where dirt can't cling to you). Meh, just another thought. Thank you for your time once again, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

bradshaw

Vampires are undead and don't sweat or go to the bathroom (well I'm not 100% on that last one) so they wouldn't need to clean themselves of dead skin or body odors. I don't see why they would need to bathe.
DarkwingDuk
Wanderer

They still do get dirty. I mean just traveling kicks up dust and road grime.
boB the Crazy
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I presume they could just use a wet cloth and wipe themselves. That shouldn't hurt too much. Or, they could just perfume themselves since they don't sweat a lot. They could use something like rubbing alcohol, I would presume.

-Vek
"Maybe even acid."
bradshaw

I'd think that vampires in Rifts would be covered in a bit of grime. And I could see wild vampires being covered in dirt and dried blood.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”