Just a few in game questions.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GMDijarian
Explorer

Just a few in game questions.

Unread post by GMDijarian »

1. I had a Warlock character who very much enjoyed dropping walls on foes, do I as GM get a save to this. Does anyone play it that way.

2. Werewolves are only hurt by silver and magic. Does a wall being dropped on them count as magic? Or is a physical attack? What about a normal weapon that has been enchanted, say to glow. Is it now considered a magic weapon?
GMDijarian
Explorer

Re: Just a few in game questions.

thanks! Though I don't see it is fair for me. Whenever I cast a spell or psionic attack, the players would fly into a frenzy if I gave them no chance to save. I just get tired of my villains being crushed repeatedly by stone walls.
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

i give humanoids and some supernatural (magic sensing mostly) creatures the ability to dodge a wall of x spell. the dodge roll is equal to the warlocks spell strength, but the 'victim' gets to use their dodge bonus instead of the save vs magic bonus. it still sucks for the victim because it costs them an attack (as per dodge rules), and if they are out of attacks that round, they are stuck defenseless.

as for were-folk, i would think a magic wall of x is magic enough to hurt them...
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I do not allow walls to be created in mid air. They are created and appear through the ground. I did however allow a wall of ice to be created on top of the ocean. It toppled over and did a Titanic to the other boat. Good one off idea to play but lets just say that character doesnt get the opportunity to travel at sea that often anymore.

In your games I would say that the wall itself was not magical but a physical attack.

Also saves would be dodge or negate magic at the point of casting (if they know its coming).
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
GMDijarian
Explorer

RPGMAN wrote:I'd throw a villain at them who had some kind of protective amulet or other unique magic item that "phased" him when something was about to damage him. Wall falls out of nowhere and slams into him? No problem, he phased just as it was about to touch him and actually crashed to the ground. Magic user looks around with a slightly surprised look on his face - "huh, where'd that come from?" and steps up onto the wall rubble and tosses a Call Lighting at the warlock.

Just give them a villain that physical force is useless against, forcing them to use their heads to come up with a way around his defense, or negate it.

And I agree with the other poster - if a wall dropping on the enemy is enough to kill him, it's not much of a threat so little or no XP. I've ruled characters can't cast a spell if the place they are in isn't large enough or otherwise conducive to the spell effect, like creating a big honking wall in a smaller room, or in a dense forest (where if it appeared in the first place would just be hung up in the trees or blocked from falling by them anyway).

Put the enemy in a power armor, or if he's a mage in a TW Power Armor. A wall falling on him would barely slow him down. Oh - a couple of times where the wall destroys any valuables or loot that they might have been able to recover might start giving the player pause before using it. Sure, it might have stopped the guy, but it destroyed the 1.6 million in gems he had when they were crushed to powder.

I also agree that it it is a wall being created by an Earth warlock, it would have to be created while touching the ground - I mean, that's where the warlock's power is coming from, the earth, so creating it in mid-air doesn't make sense. I can't see an earth-based spell/power manifesting in mid-air, a completely separate elemental sphere of influence.

It's not that the wall is enough to kill the villain but that the villain is trapped under it for several minutes (the hole combat) and the characters just wait until it ellapses and by then they are all surrounding the villain and begin to pummel him to death. Funny story though, because this is exactly what happened, but it was a were wolf, and i made the call that the wall was a physical attack not magical. So all the characters (including a 4th level Gnome Wizard, 1st Level Titan Palladin, 3rd Level Earth Warlock, 4th Level Mercenary, and 4th Level Scholar) are standing around when the wall disapates and begin pummeling the were wolf. Two of the characters have magically enchanted swords, merc has a fire ball casting giant sized short sword, and the scholar recently bought a long sword and got it enchanted with the ability to glow blue. I said that because i believed the two swords were "enchanted" it gave them magical abilities but that made them still attack "physically" thus not hurting the were wolf (which in combat they were fighting two were wolves and one alu demon).
Anyway the earth warlock, died in action and was malled to death by the were wolf, all attempts to save vs coma failed (and there were 5!), attempted resurection by a priest in town also failed.
Though yes the party was successful in protection of the small boy who was trying to be kidnapped and sacrificed by the cult, it meant that his character had to die. Characters dont often die in my campaigns so, this is a HUGE deal. Do you think that I made the wrong call about the "enchanted" weapons, because if so, the fight would have ended up not with the death....

It says under damage in the main book that if the wall of stone is dropped it does 1D4x10 damage. So i allow it.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

GMDijarian wrote:1. I had a Warlock character who very much enjoyed dropping walls on foes, do I as GM get a save to this. Does anyone play it that way.

2. Werewolves are only hurt by silver and magic. Does a wall being dropped on them count as magic? Or is a physical attack? What about a normal weapon that has been enchanted, say to glow. Is it now considered a magic weapon?

1# save = dodge. A perception roll might be applicable to see if the target sees the attack.

2# No. It is a physical attack. Yes, it does normal damage.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
GMDijarian
Explorer

RPGMAN wrote:And hey, after 5 failed Coma saves *and* a failed resurrection, it's pretty clear the dice gods were saying it was time for a new character..... "for he hath offended the God of Barriers & Walls with his brutal and thoughtless slaughter of the innocent under his dominion". Have some glowing dude in a toga appear to the party and announce that while you are totally keeping a straight face, and see how they react, heh heh.

thats one of the funniest things, i've read related to a game.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

RPGMAN wrote: "for he hath offended the God of Barriers & Walls .....".

Sounds like he forgot to put up his posters and wall art.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

GMDijarian wrote:1. I had a Warlock character who very much enjoyed dropping walls on foes, do I as GM get a save to this. Does anyone play it that way.

1) I tend to give people a dodge, provided they have enough movement; my movement rules are that, as part of another action, you can move your speed in feet. Thus, someone with a speed of 9 can move about 9 feet as part of a dodge.

2) I would consider the wall being natural, but the weapon enchanted to glow as being magical. Especially with a warlock, the implication is that it is normal Earth and Stone being conjured. The weapon, however, has had its very nature changed so it is magical.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
GMDijarian
Explorer

Mark Hall wrote:

1) I tend to give people a dodge, provided they have enough movement; my movement rules are that, as part of another action, you can move your speed in feet. Thus, someone with a speed of 9 can move about 9 feet as part of a dodge.

2) I would consider the wall being natural, but the weapon enchanted to glow as being magical. Especially with a warlock, the implication is that it is normal Earth and Stone being conjured. The weapon, however, has had its very nature changed so it is magical.

Thank you Mr. Hall

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”