Glitterboy Techno-Wizards perfect chassis !!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Glitterboy Techno-Wizards perfect chassis !!

Unread post by Lenwen »

After some deep thoughts earlier tonight I've come to the conclusion that the G.B. is the perfect chassis for a Techno-Wizard to create a nearly unbeatable P.A.

1) - Add the spell : Fleet Feet - +10 attacks (effectivly doubles PE, PP and speed of the unit and the person) Which would make the PP of the pilot litterally go off the charts .. which increases Strike !!

2) - Add the Spell : Magical Adrenal Rush - +2 attacks, +50% to speed,

3) - Add the Spell : Speed Weapon (Boom gun) - Doubles the attacks of the GB Pilot when using the Boom Gun.

4) - Add the Spell : Feather Weight - Makes the GB totally able to use the Jet Pack to actually achieve flight. (tho this would also need an operator to actually max out this limited 1d6x10 seconds of flight into 2-3x the normal limit which would give the GB a limited flight system of 1-3 minutes.

The GB with its boom gun (3d6x10) could have litterally 25+ attacks. And could quite litterally take on an entire Squad of Samas and possibly take them out ..

The GB would be able to run at around 150 MPH on the ground.. And actually be able to achieve limited (still only couple minutes) Flight ..

What do you guys think ?
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Re: Glitterboy Techno-Wizards perfect chassis !!

Unread post by Thinyser »

legal munchkinism... not that that is a bad thing always.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

no annihilation cannon? meh. it's not that powerful =P
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Lenwen wrote:After some deep thoughts earlier tonight I've come to the conclusion that the G.B. is the perfect chassis for a Techno-Wizard to create a nearly unbeatable P.A.

1) - Add the spell : Fleet Feet - +10 attacks (effectivly doubles PE, PP and speed of the unit and the person) Which would make the PP of the pilot litterally go off the charts .. which increases Strike !!

3) - Add the Spell : Speed Weapon (Boom gun) - Doubles the attacks of the GB Pilot when using the Boom Gun.

4) - Add the Spell : Feather Weight - Makes the GB totally able to use the Jet Pack to actually achieve flight. (tho this would also need an operator to actually max out this limited 1d6x10 seconds of flight into 2-3x the normal limit which would give the GB a limited flight system of 1-3 minutes.

The GB with its boom gun (3d6x10) could have litterally 25+ attacks. And could quite litterally take on an entire Squad of Samas and possibly take them out ..

The GB would be able to run at around 150 MPH on the ground.. And actually be able to achieve limited (still only couple minutes) Flight ..

What do you guys think ?

Nice list, now if my GB pilot had the above he'd have 44 actions per melee. I'd be out of ammo in less then a minute.

Of course my GB pilot already has the following TW mods on his mecha, which can be used 3 times a day at level 10 proficiency.
Chameleon
Fly as The Eagle
Shadow Meld
Globe of Silence
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

jedi078 wrote:
Lenwen wrote:After some deep thoughts earlier tonight I've come to the conclusion that the G.B. is the perfect chassis for a Techno-Wizard to create a nearly unbeatable P.A.

What do you guys think ?

Nice list, now if my GB pilot had the above he'd have 44 actions per melee. I'd be out of ammo in less then a minute.

Of course my GB pilot already has the following TW mods on his mecha, which can be used 3 times a day at level 10 proficiency.
Chameleon
Fly as The Eagle
Shadow Meld
Globe of Silence

I ask you .. is there anything Living that can withstand 44 attacks from the Famed Boom Gun in 1 melee round ?

3d6x10 times 44 attacks = Death .. :lol:
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Lenwen wrote:I ask you .. is there anything Living that can withstand 44 attacks from the Famed Boom Gun in 1 melee round ?

Is there anything can take 10 attacks from a boom gun with a +8 to strike in a single melee? Well the answer is not much. In fact the GM has regularly added force fields to enemies so I didn’t kill them in the first melee.

Also a few of the PC’s cried after I they saw I had a +15 to strike with the boom gun because at the time the GM allowed us to factor in PP to ranged strike bonuses. Of course the cry babies won, but I still have +8 to strike, and ten attacks…..
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

RPGMAN wrote:What, no TW Dimensional Envelope-modified ammo magazine for the Boom Gun rounds? You just didn't *want* x10 ammo capacity or something?

:mrgreen:

HOLY !! LMFAO !!
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

Of course this means you either need a magic user who is trained to use Power Armor, or a PA pilot who is also a magic user or is psionic. Either way, it would be freaking devistating. Carry around a couple anti vampire weapons or have magic weapon systems built in and all your bases are coverd.
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
Shark_Force
Palladin

there's a limited number of features per device, iirc.

frankly, boom gun rounds are cheap, not hard to make (iirc, they're listed at something like 1 credit for 2, and can be made using relatively common/simple tools), and can be much more easily carried by a robot companion of some kind, i would think.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

jedi078 wrote:

What do you guys think ?

Chameleon
Fly as The Eagle
Shadow Meld
Globe of Silence
I tend to agree with you,that any TW modifications should attempt to address and overcome the GB's liabilities,like it's noise and visual conspicuousness.Besides, I don't believe Speed Weapon works on ranged weapons.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Not bad, and if I was a GM I'd even allow it. Too bad the joints, guns and motion servos in the bot would likely fall apart after a melee and the pilot would need to save vs pe to avoid a heart attack and would have an automatic concusion. The pylons would also break after the first 10 attacks or so and the jet pack might explode from two much rapid use. Remember, the bot requires the pylons AND the jet pack to stay relatively steady. It likely does not keep it completely steady. So, those 44 attacks per melee would mean the pilot would be shaken back and forth with every shot while on the magical adreneline buzz, and the pylons are probably not desinged to handle the rapid vibrations and i can guarentee that the jet back isn't designed for rapid firing like that. Yes, the design is legal, but that doesn't mean it would have no drawbacks.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Prince Artemis wrote:Not bad, and if I was a GM I'd even allow it. Too bad the joints, guns and motion servos in the bot would likely fall apart after a melee and the pilot would need to save vs pe to avoid a heart attack and would have an automatic concusion. The pylons would also break after the first 10 attacks or so and the jet pack might explode from two much rapid use. Remember, the bot requires the pylons AND the jet pack to stay relatively steady. It likely does not keep it completely steady. So, those 44 attacks per melee would mean the pilot would be shaken back and forth with every shot while on the magical adreneline buzz, and the pylons are probably not desinged to handle the rapid vibrations and i can guarentee that the jet back isn't designed for rapid firing like that. Yes, the design is legal, but that doesn't mean it would have no drawbacks.

Everything you just mentioned very well could happen in this situation.

If you are trying to find a way to "Balance" it out. I agree with you. But nuthing you stated could not be fixed by an operator ..

As a player ..
I for one believe the GB is 100% competely stable when the boom gun goes off. (Duel application of Jet thrusters and pylons)
I do not believe the pylons would break after 10 attacks .. (Otherwise the Suit would have this problem initially)
I do not beleive the Pilot would suffer a heart attack, concusion or anything of that nature when the magic is enabled.
I do not believe the joints would fall apart after the 1st melee either. I think the Suit is built sturdy enough to withstand hundreds of years of combat and still be well enough put together to be able to withstand 10 shots from its boom gun in a row.

But as a GM, these would be issues I played strickly for balance of the game .. So I both agree and politly disagree with you on this topic.

hehe
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

44 attacks per melee, I doing some quick calulations, that is almost 3 shots every second.
Not sure the gun could reload itself that fast.
Not sure if the thrusters can activate that fast to counterbalance the recoil.
Not sure if the bot is designed to take that kind of stress.

Personaly I think the gun would overheat and jam after the first several shots at that pace. a heavy weapon like the Boom-Gun would realisticly need a second or two after firing to recover, recalibrate itself and reload for the next shot.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Increasing the PP of a glitter boy pilot is a pretty weak buff, it does not increase ranged attack strikes and dodging is difficult when you are bolted to the ground, the extra attacks are nice though.
Not good if you need endurance, but alright for power armor pilots. The main flaw I see is the pilot suddenly receiving supernatural strength damaging his control interface because he is stronger than it.
Speed weapon is very particular as to what it can and cannot effect and high tech ranged weapons are not on that list.
Losing its weight would also ruin its abillity to use its gun, or cause comical kickback where a single shot shoots the glitter boy several counties over.

What do you guys think ?

deeply flawed.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Squiz wrote:Speed weapon only applies to melee. Otherwise, it's pretty sweet. What about an invulnerability to energy spell?

Power ARmors can only hold 4 TW mods. No room for it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Lenwen wrote:
jedi078 wrote:

What do you guys think ?

Chameleon
Fly as The Eagle
Shadow Meld
Globe of Silence

I ask you .. is there anything Living that can withstand 44 attacks from the Famed Boom Gun in 1 melee round ?

Werewolves would be completely immune to the damage.

Although loading it with Silver coated rounds would take care of that little detail.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
jedi078 wrote:

What do you guys think ?

Chameleon
Fly as The Eagle
Shadow Meld
Globe of Silence

Werewolves would be completely immune to the damage.

Although loading it with Silver coated rounds would take care of that little detail.

So would depleted uranium rounds . :P
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

jedi078 wrote:

What do you guys think ?

actually, with the new "thousand round ammo bin", you could fire for 5 1/2 minutes straight. unmodified, for over an hour.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Now that all's just sick...
Which is why I am promptly hardcopying this thread, and having it standard upgrade to any Glitterboys in my service...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

taalismn wrote:Now that all's just sick...
Which is why I am promptly hardcopying this thread, and having it standard upgrade to any Glitterboys in my service...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

The Featherlight spell would turn the Boom Gun into a Nerf Gun, as the rounds would lose their mass.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Mack wrote:The Featherlight spell would turn the Boom Gun into a Nerf Gun, as the rounds would lose their mass.

The Featherlight ability would not be used when the PA is going into combat.

The Featherlight ability would be engaged when the suit came across terrain it could not bypass on its own. Or for possibly getting up ontop of a higher firing position.

Outside of that the Feather light spell would not be engaged .. when about to fire the Boom Gun.

:P
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

jedi078 wrote:Nice list, now if my GB pilot had the above he'd have 44 actions per melee. I'd be out of ammo in less then a minute.

Hm. Less than 6 minutes, but not less than a minute.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually, with the new "thousand round ammo bin", you could fire for 5 1/2 minutes straight. unmodified, for over an hour.

Subjugator wrote:Hm. Less than 6 minutes, but not less than a minute.
/Sub

The 100 rounds seems like a typo to me. If not it is pure munchkin, for those wimpy (it seems I can't use the slang term for vagina…so I will use wimpy) players/GM's who don’t want to run out of ammo. This is just like the Cyber Knight’s vs tech powers, and Psi-stalkers turning into supernatural creatures.

Besides limiting the GB to 100 rounds makes the player THINK about the limited ammo they have available instead of just blasting away with no regards for ammo load.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.

Lenwen wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:Not bad, and if I was a GM I'd even allow it. Too bad the joints, guns and motion servos in the bot would likely fall apart after a melee and the pilot would need to save vs pe to avoid a heart attack and would have an automatic concusion. The pylons would also break after the first 10 attacks or so and the jet pack might explode from two much rapid use. Remember, the bot requires the pylons AND the jet pack to stay relatively steady. It likely does not keep it completely steady. So, those 44 attacks per melee would mean the pilot would be shaken back and forth with every shot while on the magical adreneline buzz, and the pylons are probably not desinged to handle the rapid vibrations and i can guarentee that the jet back isn't designed for rapid firing like that. Yes, the design is legal, but that doesn't mean it would have no drawbacks.

Everything you just mentioned very well could happen in this situation.

If you are trying to find a way to "Balance" it out. I agree with you. But nuthing you stated could not be fixed by an operator ..

As a player ..
I for one believe the GB is 100% competely stable when the boom gun goes off. (Duel application of Jet thrusters and pylons)
I do not believe the pylons would break after 10 attacks .. (Otherwise the Suit would have this problem initially)
I do not beleive the Pilot would suffer a heart attack, concusion or anything of that nature when the magic is enabled.
I do not believe the joints would fall apart after the 1st melee either. I think the Suit is built sturdy enough to withstand hundreds of years of combat and still be well enough put together to be able to withstand 10 shots from its boom gun in a row.

But as a GM, these would be issues I played strickly for balance of the game .. So I both agree and politly disagree with you on this topic.

hehe

Take a metal bar, place it in a clamp or similiar set up so it couldn't move. Hammer it once every 5 seconds or so. Probably holds up pretty good for a while. Now, take a jackhammer to it. Probably doesn't last half as long. That's why the pylons would break. They're designed for bracing from what is effectively an artillery strike every few seconds. As someone mentioned, with the above set up they could get 44 attacks per melee. Do the math, they're firing the boom gun 3 times PER SECOND. That would break they pylons pretty quick. The jet back would be overwhelmed pretty quick and while the PA is no doubt designed to be rough and tumble, it's smallest parts are what would be vulnerable to the sheer vibration. Last I checked they don't make MDC screws, which doesn't matter since screws tend to come undone in vibration situations, as do most mechanical bonding agents (nails, bolts, and non-welded rivets). So yeah, the equivolent of a massive arrtillery back lash every 1/3 a second would shake the thing to bits pretty quick.
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Feather weight bad spell. I haven't seen anyone bring this up yet.

Sure there is the anchor and jet systems, but even with all that I'd bet that a glitteryboy suit is rocked back pretty hard by firing its boom gun. You make it as light as a feather and its probably going to be thrown backwards on to the ground with the foot anchors still in the ground when it fires the boom gun, let alone if it doesn't anchor itself first. The boom gun puts out the amount of hurt of a 105mm tank gun packed in to a little flechette cannister (PS this is why I don't like the weapon description/damage level of the boom gun, mach 5, 5lb boom gun slug is around 6mj or energy, or about what a 105mm APSD round packs).

That 105mm tank gun is enough to rock a 50t tank on its treads pretty hard. Think what that kind of energy would do to a feather weight suit of power armor, even with its feet anchored down and some reaction jets (which aren't enough to do more then give a power assisted jump or hover for a few seconds). Head trauma from getting pivoted back on the anchors comes to mind.
-Matt
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Darkorinth wrote:
Lenwen wrote:1) - Add the spell : Fleet Feet - +10 attacks (effectivly doubles PE, PP and speed of the unit and the person) Which would make the PP of the pilot litterally go off the charts .. which increases Strike !!

Where is this spell that I have somehow missed? And why wouldn't any sane GM insta-ban a spell that added +10 attacks?

Speed weapon is almost worth banning but has enough limitations (and is expensive enough) that so far it hasn't been an issue. Of course I've got a character who could make my current GM realize it's an issue in about 1 fight.....

It does not add 10 attacks . It doubles the number of attacks the caster has. And its from the Palladium Worlds Magic .

It is a common spell.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Darkorinth wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Darkorinth wrote:
Lenwen wrote:1) - Add the spell : Fleet Feet - +10 attacks (effectivly doubles PE, PP and speed of the unit and the person) Which would make the PP of the pilot litterally go off the charts .. which increases Strike !!

Where is this spell that I have somehow missed? And why wouldn't any sane GM insta-ban a spell that added +10 attacks?

Speed weapon is almost worth banning but has enough limitations (and is expensive enough) that so far it hasn't been an issue. Of course I've got a character who could make my current GM realize it's an issue in about 1 fight.....

It does not add 10 attacks . It doubles the number of attacks the caster has. And its from the Palladium Worlds Magic .

It is a common spell.

Thanks. That would be why I've missed it, since I've stuck pretty much to Rifts, Ninjas and Superspies and Heroes Unlimited. Still doubling all attacks is worse, seems like a pretty over powered spell at the moment, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the details.

Yeah combining that 1 spell with some of the various H2H combat systems in Ninja's .. would be utterly game breakingly bad ..

However .. using that spell .. as a Caster ... who needs more actions to cast the higher lvled spells (lvl6+ spells) and it is just fine.

But in the wrong hands that spell is a total game changer.

:)
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

Darkorinth wrote:Yeah, considering I have a VERY high powered character who has survived multiple high powered campaigns who is a caster. She has 19 actions, 20 with a short sword and a Super Natural Strength that most gods would trade an arm for. If she dropped that spell and speed weapon that would 80 attacks per round......not pretty.

:eek:
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Mallak's Place wrote:
Darkorinth wrote:Yeah, considering I have a VERY high powered character who has survived multiple high powered campaigns who is a caster. She has 19 actions, 20 with a short sword and a Super Natural Strength that most gods would trade an arm for. If she dropped that spell and speed weapon that would 80 attacks per round......not pretty.

Yeah that would be pretty overboard but my question is can you post your character and how you get to the 19 attacks please :?:
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Darkorinth wrote:
She has 19 actions, 20 with a short sword and a Super Natural Strength that most gods would trade an arm for. If she dropped that spell and speed weapon that would 80 attacks per round......not pretty.

Howed she get 19 actions per melee and 20 with a short sword ?

Howed she get Supernatural strength ?

And if she dropped Fleet feet her 19 actions would see +19 more actions. And then if she cast speed weapon that would be +19 more actions not doubled after it was already doubled for 80 total melee actions. It would be 57 actions.

19 base # of attacks ( I need to know how to get that lmao !)
+19 -Fleet Feet spell (Doubles the base # of actions/attacks)
+19 -Speed Weapon spell (Doubles base # of actions/attacks)
------
57 actions/attacks, 38 of which can be used to cast, but 19 of them have to be used by the Melee weapon that has had Speed weapon on it.

So 38 actions with 19 melee attacks.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Darkorinth wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:

Yeah that would be pretty overboard but my question is can you post your character and how you get to the 19 attacks please :?:

Bear in mind that that the character has seen multiple high powered campaigns, including ones that allow changing classes. I'm actually planning to soon put up a campaign journal for the campaign where I am currently playing her.

Jorli Johnson
Lvl 9 Experiment (High school level education)
Lvl 5 Dedicated Martial Artist
Lvl 8 Leyline Rifter (current class)

IQ: 30
ME: 27
MA: 16
PS: 93 Supernatural
PP: 47
PE: 63
PB: 29 (This one isn't my fault, I swear)
SDC: 341
HP: 228
MDC: 569 (Becomes MDC in an MDC setting)

Super Powers:
Ambidexterity
Extrodinary PP, PE, PS and Speed
Super Human Strength
Healing Factor
Natural Combat Ability

Martial Arts Styles: Krav Magha, Zanji, Arnis and Akido (Rifts version, does know a composite of all three)

Attacks per round 2 base + 6 style + 1 boxing + 1 ambidexterity +1 extrodinary PP + Extrodinary Speed + 7 Natural Combat Ability

Has weapon specialization for Sabers, Daggers and Kali Sticks for an extra +1 attack with those weapons. See Rifter 30 (good issue) for details.

The strength has just kind of snowballed over the various games. This was actually my first Palladium character ever. She has survived multiple campaigns with multiple GMs and so far as lived through everything they've thrown at her. Her abilities have just slowly increased as time went on.

Taking a big liberty in using the "natural combat ability" Superpower with other multiple HtHs and Boxing when it specificially prohibits even having one. Let alone the use of weapons. I was hoping for something even quasi book legal.:nh:

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Thinyser wrote: Taking a big liberty in using the "natural combat ability" Superpower with other multiple HtHs and Boxing when it specificially prohibits even having one. Let alone the use of weapons. I was hoping for something even quasi book legal.:nh:

Well to be honest, if the GM's allow it .. who are you or I to disagree with her character ?

Well done I for one say Darkorinth. Well done indeed. :D
azazel1024
Champion

Based on how the natural combat ability seems to work, the character naturally adapts their fighting style to the person they are fighting, but better, no matter what, and this in part is what gives them the extra attacks. Allowing them to actually learn and master a martial arts technique should mean

1) The character loses the natural fighting bonuses as they are using a learned technique that isn't going to be as flexible as the way natural combat ability works

of more likely

2) Since it is natural combat ability (not learned!), that nifty martial arts they know is only going to work when they are say doing katas or sparing against nothing, the instant they go up against a real person (or even robot) they are instinctively going to start mimicking the person they are fighting, but better...so the martial arts skills aren't going to be factored in.

Of course do whatever you will, but frankly I don't allow munchkinism, especially not illegal or stretching the bounds of legal munchkinism.
-Matt
azazel1024
Champion

You have a point, sorry. As you mentioned I feel that is is too over powered and some of it isn't an interpretation of the rules I'd normally go with. Role playing has a lot more to do with my game play then anything, but in my games I try to keep it within the bounds of the rules or semi-close. I also try to keep my player groups heroic, but still 'mortal' as it was. I do occasionally allow super powerful 'world changing' groups for super high powered adventures and story arcs, but that isn't the norm. I also still hew pretty close to the rules though.

If you and your GMs and other players in your groups enjoy playing super powerful characters then by all means, game on.
-Matt
Last edited by azazel1024 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Darkorinth wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:Based on how the natural combat ability seems to work, the character naturally adapts their fighting style to the person they are fighting, but better, no matter what, and this in part is what gives them the extra attacks. Allowing them to actually learn and master a martial arts technique should mean

1) The character loses the natural fighting bonuses as they are using a learned technique that isn't going to be as flexible as the way natural combat ability works

of more likely

2) Since it is natural combat ability (not learned!), that nifty martial arts they know is only going to work when they are say doing katas or sparing against nothing, the instant they go up against a real person (or even robot) they are instinctively going to start mimicking the person they are fighting, but better...so the martial arts skills aren't going to be factored in.

Of course do whatever you will, but frankly I don't allow munchkinism, especially not illegal or stretching the bounds of legal munchkinism.
-Matt

Then I wouldn't try to play it in your game. This is how the character evolved mostly thanks to RP over a lot of time. It took over 10 years to break the character of doing habit number too. Now she only has the bonuses listed from the power, not the ability to adapt and mimic.

As for the “munchkinism” comment, this is the only time I plan to address that point on the boards. After this I’ll ignore it as inane and irrelevant. I like to play a bad@ss. I want to play someone powerful and able to do something is someone tries to start crap. I enjoy playing a character that is as powerful as possible, as long as it doesn’t ruin the game. I check with a GM when I join the game about just how powerful he wants things to be, and I respect those limits. I’ve never had a problem with toning down a character if they become a problem. I’ve even done it myself when I thought the character would become a problem. I am good at tweaking the rules and breaking games. A lot of that comes from being a GM of multiple systems for the last 7+ years. I am not out to screw a game up. I’m looking to have fun, RP an entertaining character, and imagine being a bad@ss.

Munchkinism is an easy way to label anything you don’t like and think is too power, insult the person doing it and ignore any further point they want to make. Think of a better way to make your point. While it takes longer to type “that seems overboard and not something I’d probably allow in a game it” is a lot more polite and gives the option of continuing the conversation politely.

There, rant done. This one won’t happen again. Have fun playing.

Very well said .
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Ah, the Techno-Wizard Glitterboy. Every munchkin's wet dream.

I made a Techno-Rune-Line-Glitterboy once, just for kicks. It was stupid hard core.

It regenerated 2d6 MDC per minute, held 240 PPE for the technowizard enhancements, regenerated 6 PPE per hour, had its robotic strength converted to supernatural, had triple the MDC, and could shoot several different kinds of magic should the ammunition run out. There were some other fun things going on with it too, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

that is the funniest character i have ever seen. Seriously, why not just give that character a million in every stat and be done with it?
I mean, i have seen some power gaming in my time, i have even seen some munchkinism, but this isn't even in the same ballpark. This is sheer hilarity.

My question is, what is it about Rifts that prompts people to play this way? I have played alot of RPGs, and I have played with alot of people over the years, and i never see this kind of ....whatever you want to call it....utter disregard for the consistency of the canonical game world with any other setting, system or game.
I mean, on one hand, I dont care. play whatever you want however you want. just keep buying those books!!
On the other hand, i'm really just curious. Why Rifts? What makes people open a rifts book, see a Rogue Scholar and a SAMAS suit and say "Yeah, let's play this game so we can enslave elder gods and blow up galaxies! with our 3 character classes and 5 martial art forms"? Why is it in order to be a "badass", one has to go to such lengths? it's like taking a video game, setting it on fire, and expecting congratulations for "beating the game".

We used to joke about people playing hundred-handed cosmo knights with Thai Kickboxing and HU super-powers, like, "that's obscene, no one would do that. What a ridiculous example". But there are gamers who feel that is a viable character option, or go even beyond it? Why? What's the point? It's not even a game then. It's more like....i dont know....Fan Fic nite at Open Mic...or something. Why even connect it with Rifts canon at that point?

Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings on the internet or anything, i'm really just curious.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:that is the funniest character i have ever seen. Seriously, why not just give that character a million in every stat and be done with it?
I mean, i have seen some power gaming in my time, i have even seen some munchkinism, but this isn't even in the same ballpark. This is sheer hilarity.

My question is, what is it about Rifts that prompts people to play this way? I have played alot of RPGs, and I have played with alot of people over the years, and i never see this kind of ....whatever you want to call it....utter disregard for the consistency of the canonical game world with any other setting, system or game.
I mean, on one hand, I dont care. play whatever you want however you want. just keep buying those books!!
On the other hand, i'm really just curious. Why Rifts? What makes people open a rifts book, see a Rogue Scholar and a SAMAS suit and say "Yeah, let's play this game so we can enslave elder gods and blow up galaxies! with our 3 character classes and 5 martial art forms"? Why is it in order to be a "badass", one has to go to such lengths? it's like taking a video game, setting it on fire, and expecting congratulations for "beating the game".

We used to joke about people playing hundred-handed cosmo knights with Thai Kickboxing and HU super-powers, like, "that's obscene, no one would do that. What a ridiculous example". But there are gamers who feel that is a viable character option, or go even beyond it? Why? What's the point? It's not even a game then. It's more like....i dont know....Fan Fic nite at Open Mic...or something. Why even connect it with Rifts canon at that point?

Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings on the internet or anything, i'm really just curious.

I have known D&D players with similar attitudes.In my experience,the less power and influence someone has in the real world,the more prone they are to characters of this type.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Shark_Force
Palladin

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:that is the funniest character i have ever seen. Seriously, why not just give that character a million in every stat and be done with it?

obviously you never visited the WotC charop boards if you think this is exceptional. you think this is bad, you should see The Wish and the Word, Pun-Pun, Nanobots, or the Hulking Hurler.

in general, i think it depends from person to person. for many, these are not characters they intend to play. sometimes, it's just an exercise in seeing just how far you can go with the rules, how much they'll let you pull off if you work with them. particularly, some people may not get the chance to actually play, and so this is what they do for fun. heck, for some people, half the fun is in designing a character; i know i'm like that sometimes. i'll just sit down and start building characters that i may or may not ever play, and see what i can do, just because i enjoy creating characters.
V-Origin
Adventurer

Unread post by V-Origin »

Lenwen wrote:
jedi078 wrote:

What do you guys think ?

Chameleon
Fly as The Eagle
Shadow Meld
Globe of Silence

Yes my legit harvester/necromancer/vampire combo with 180,000 HP.
V-Origin V-Cores V-Empress Mother Goddess First Wife RYU.JI.HYE.류지혜.SHIVA
Rifts Dimension PLAYBEING ESCORTS - http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/v ... 8&t=114565
V-Origin
Adventurer

Unread post by V-Origin »

Darkorinth wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:

Bear in mind that that the character has seen multiple high powered campaigns, including ones that allow changing classes. I'm actually planning to soon put up a campaign journal for the campaign where I am currently playing her.

Jorli Johnson
Lvl 9 Experiment (High school level education)
Lvl 5 Dedicated Martial Artist
Lvl 8 Leyline Rifter (current class)

IQ: 30
ME: 27
MA: 16
PS: 93 Supernatural
PP: 47
PE: 63
PB: 29 (This one isn't my fault, I swear)
SDC: 341
HP: 228
MDC: 569 (Becomes MDC in an MDC setting)

Super Powers:
Ambidexterity
Extrodinary PP, PE, PS and Speed
Super Human Strength
Healing Factor
Natural Combat Ability

Martial Arts Styles: Krav Magha, Zanji, Arnis and Akido (Rifts version, does know a composite of all three)

Attacks per round 2 base + 6 style + 1 boxing + 1 ambidexterity +1 extrodinary PP + Extrodinary Speed + 7 Natural Combat Ability

Has weapon specialization for Sabers, Daggers and Kali Sticks for an extra +1 attack with those weapons. See Rifter 30 (good issue) for details.

The strength has just kind of snowballed over the various games. This was actually my first Palladium character ever. She has survived multiple campaigns with multiple GMs and so far as lived through everything they've thrown at her. Her abilities have just slowly increased as time went on.

Darkorinth,

I think a GM will allow my legit Harvester/Necromancer/Vampire over your Karate Girl anyday.
V-Origin V-Cores V-Empress Mother Goddess First Wife RYU.JI.HYE.류지혜.SHIVA
Rifts Dimension PLAYBEING ESCORTS - http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/v ... 8&t=114565
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

you seem pretty hot on that monstrosity. I gotta tell ya, I have made characters more awesome, with fewer blatant weaknesses, and more likely to be allowed in a game, I am not wholly impressed. Can't say as I have ever made a purely legit character with quite so much hp, but then again, I have never felt any need too.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

crystaleye1950 wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
jedi078 wrote:

What do you guys think ?

Chameleon
Fly as The Eagle
Shadow Meld
Globe of Silence

Yes my legit harvester/necromancer/vampire combo with 180,000 HP.

Just out of curiousity,how did you manage to put that together?
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Darkorinth wrote:
Spoiler:
crystaleye1950 wrote:I think a GM will allow my legit Harvester/Necromancer/Vampire over your Karate Girl anyday.

*sigh*

I hung this character up years ago never expecting to play her again, of course I did tell cool stories about what she used to do. Still the character is too powerful for the majority of games and I expected her retirement to be permanent. If a player came to me and showed me that sheet there's a 99% probability that I would turn them down. Of course when my current GM offered me an opportunity to play her again I happily took it. The character's real fun factor is her personality, not her powers. Most of the time she wears a TW choker that turns off most of her powers, reduces her strength and generally makes her much more mortal. Of course she can turn it off during emergencies. Recently she's done a lot more with well placed and chosen spells than physical combat.

As for your uber-combo character. I admited on that thread already that he is legit. Then mostly out of a sense of curiosity I tried to ask questions about how you would achieve it. You responded with condecending and generally specious arguements. You said that that was not the point of the thread, just before you continued to debate those exact types of points with other posters. After looking over your posts in most threads I know that this is not abnormal behavior on your part. At this point it seems like you are more interested in people telling you how cool your ideas are then in having an actual discussion about them. Until I see a reason to think that that is no longer the case I intend to ignore you on the threads. I have better things to do then listen to you insult me and ridicule my opinion.

Enjoy using the threads. And if you do manage to actually pull off the Nercomancer/Harvester in a game and end up with thousands of hit points, brag about it then.
The achievment is what is impressive, not the idea.

very well said.

G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

I believe this would be the reason fleet feet has never been published in any rifts material. Even when power gaming I don't like the spell.

If you start with the best tech before TWing something you usually end up with a superior product or TW can create something equal to tech with an inferior product. We might want to think up ideas that combine magic and technology as much as possible to make the TW GB slightly more interesting. But back onto topic...

Modifying the boomgun to be silent might be considered a mod to the BFG not the GB and might not count towards the limit of 4.

I'll start with a Malvoren pilot and choose one of the following two setups:
-Magic net, targetted deflection, invisibility simple & aura of death. Use TW to silence the BFG.
-Astral Hole, Realm of Chaos, Lightblade, Beat Insurmountable odds. The BBEG did what? we can't run away?
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

lakota wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
jedi078 wrote:

What do you guys think ?

Chameleon
Fly as The Eagle
Shadow Meld
Globe of Silence

any spellslinger with the spell little force.(from spirit west it is a paradox/temporal spell)

Not to mention someone with powers Immune to High Speed Kinetic Attacks(PU3,Minor,or Bulletproof(PU3,Major.)And a Kinetic Master from Rifter 25 could make the rounds drop like a stone.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

lakota wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
jedi078 wrote:

What do you guys think ?

Chameleon
Fly as The Eagle
Shadow Meld
Globe of Silence

any spellslinger with the spell little force.(from spirit west it is a paradox/temporal spell)

Not any. The spell is only available to the paradox shaman. Those, like elemental spells for warlocks are granted, not learned. So no other mage can get it.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Darn it.
All you need now is that Ley Line Drawing put on it from SA2, like the Nazca PA has, which x3 your starting MDC and turns the PA's strength Supernatural and allows Ley Line energy blasts from the hands. Also it would allow the PA to Heal itself completly every 24 hours if even 1 MDC is left. Best of all, the Armor would appear not to be taking any damage until down to 770 mdc...

770 (total) x 3 = 2310 MDC mainbody.

:D
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan

Return to “Rifts®”