Cheapest Bang for the buck ?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Re: Cheapest Bang for the buck ?

Unread post by Subjugator »

Lenwen wrote:Woulden't work.

I already stated bro, Starting out as a 1st lvl Vegabond .. which negates the Demi-God attempt.

Demigods can have OCCs if they want - including Vagabond. If you want to limit that choice, that's fine...but they can be Vagabonds (they get the candy!).

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Subjugator wrote:

I already stated bro, Starting out as a 1st lvl Vegabond .. which negates the Demi-God attempt.

Demigods can have OCCs if they want - including Vagabond. If you want to limit that choice, that's fine...but they can be Vagabonds (they get the candy!).

/Sub

He's using a Kydian, and that's an R.C.C., and cannot be a vagabond. Negated by his conditions.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

HOLY CRAP!!!! YOU JUST SQUASHED LEN"S BIOBORG......EW!!! :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Subjugator wrote:

/Sub

Actually .. Starting out as a Vegabond .. not a Demi-God .. nothing but a Vegabond.

I know you know what I am saying .. :P
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Darkorinth wrote:Major Powers: Natural Combat Ability and Animal Abilities (Big Cat)
Minor Powers: Extraodinary PP, Extraordinary Speed and Superhuman Str
Mega-Hero option: Tremendious SDC

This was the best I could come up with while keeping him a Kydian with the stats and skills you mentioned.

Kydians can not get Heroe's Unlimited Powers .. :P
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Lenwen wrote:
Darkorinth wrote:Major Powers: Natural Combat Ability and Animal Abilities (Big Cat)

This was the best I could come up with while keeping him a Kydian with the stats and skills you mentioned.

Kydians can't be vagabonds either. It's an RCC.
The Nuclear Chaos
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Darkorinth wrote:So let's review. The character automatically saves vs magic and psionics, has advanced sixth sense, TK auto-forcefiled, built in armor not accounted for in the stats and several extra psionic powers. The final stats are (drum roll):

IQ: 17.5
ME: 27.5
MA: 22.5
PS: 85
PP: 35.5
PE: 36
PB: 19.5
Spd: 351
Fly Speed: 79
MDC: 2316.5
Attacks: 14
Strike: 11
Parry: 13
Dodge: 21
Auto-dodge: 13
Initiative: 13.5

This is so completely wrong.....it's down right obscene. Of course the character is so thoroughly enslaved he isn't doing anything on his own, and I would play him unless you paid me (and paid a lot). But those stats are sick. Fun little though experiment and if I can think of something to add I will update sometime later.

Ok Dark you scare me.....but thisd is going to be one bad ass NPC in my game now :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Lenwen wrote:
Subjugator wrote:

/Sub

Actually .. Starting out as a Vegabond .. not a Demi-God .. nothing but a Vegabond.

I know you know what I am saying .. :P

What is your obsession with being a bad car-spy? :D

\m/
Subjugator

AzathothXy wrote:Kydians can't be vagabonds either. It's an RCC.

While the OP has since stated that it's a standard human Vagabond, if a Psi-Stalker (RCC) can have a Wilderness Scout OCC (see Vampire Kingdoms), then a Kydian can be a Vagabond.
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

psi-stalker has since been clarified to be an OCC, and a race, each with the same name, but not an RCC.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

As for the real cheapest bang for the buck?

A night with a Slurmph Saloon Girl costs only one universal credit, but you don't wanna pay it and you don't wanna do it.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

AzathothXy wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Kydians can't be vagabonds either. It's an RCC.

Kydians are Bio-Borgs .. :P
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Darkorinth wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Why not?

Because those powers are not listed under the "Powers and Abilities" of the Kydian.

They are a totally 100% completely different game and dimension. Those powers do not even exsist in Rifts Dimension unless they were rifted from Hereo's Unlimited setting .. in which case .. the Kydians would still not have those powers either way ..
AzathothXy
Adventurer

I know the original conversion book said that ley lines and magic energy can possibily mutate people/beings thus giving them superpowers. That was how it was suggested for giving Rifts folk powers.
And I like to give demons/deevils superpowers as well. Nice surprise for those who fight them.
The Nuclear Chaos
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Darkorinth wrote:They are not from a 100% different setting. The Mercenaries book and Scraypers book both include super powers in the Rifts setting. The Splynn book describes a store in Splynn which specializes in selling super powered slaves.

True the powers are not listed under the Powers and Abilities of the Kydian. That's because that only lists the standard racial powers. The Empowered describes a member of the races with extraordinary and abnormal powers. There is nothing in any of the books involved that say that a Kydian could not be empowered or a mutant.

Ok soo .. show me in any Atlantis books .. where those powers are customizable ? :P

Darkorinth wrote:Also your challenge never specified that I had to stick to certain books or settings, or that they had to be Kydian. I called it a Kydian out of deference to the fact that you made the original one Kydian without carefully checking over the race. I was actually short 1 attack, 40 sdc and +2 to strike, parry and dodge. As you've laid out the challenge so far, I succeeded.

Provide a canon refrence in any atlantis book where Super Powers are customizable ..

It is a known fact Splugorthian Empires all deal heavily in the Slave markets .

It is also a known fact that the Splugorthian Empires all are cross dimensional empires (or at least some are)

It should be of little to no real leap of faith to know that the Splugorthians can enter into the Heroe's Unlimited Dimension to hunt Super's .. with little to no difficulty ..

Let alone all the "Slaves" the Tarlok are selling to Atlantis (in particular) which would easily be able to account for the majority of .. if not all of the "Super heroes" styled Slaves .

You trying to assume that a Kydian can have the Hereo's Unlimited Powers .. is in fact a LARGER leap of faith .. then saying Atlantis can Produce .. such beings ..

Atlantis imports such beings .. to sell into slavery ..

Matter of fact .. Scraypers the book itself goes on to state .
Scraypers pg129 wrote:Tarlok slaves sold to the Splugorth of Atlantis include Seeronian superhumans, Talus and Seerman, as well as other alien races who have fallen victum to the Tarlok.

So that little ditty right there goes on to further my own side of the debat .. that Atlantis can in fact not create such beings .. and none of thier current "Minions" can in fact manifest such powers ..

At least .. not yet .. I'm sure in time Atlantean Bio-Wizards will be able to create such powers and threw the use of bio-wizardry be able to place them onto other beings .

I think its only a matter of time for them to do such a thing.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Matter of fact Dark as far as I personally know ..

Bio-Wizardry .. does not work on Superheroe's .. from any Setting .. with Super Powers ..

I'll do some digging in the books tonight and Post my findings for you .

But I believe this was stated in one of the rule books.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Ok guys lets try to not turn this ino an argument. :D I am liking this thread too much to see it degrade to a pssing contest of sorts :)

\m/
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Darkorinth wrote:I can't try to answer the question how you want until you give me all the rules.

I want the cheapest bang for the buck .. that is a Legal mix.

With out breaking the rules .. or bringing other settings into this setting.

The Rifts setting. And the only rule is that it must be a legal by the book playable character.

I had thought this woulda been understood, but its ok .. I will answer any other questions you may have prior to anything else next time.

my bad hehe ..
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Lenwen wrote:
Darkorinth wrote:I can't try to answer the question how you want until you give me all the rules.

The Rifts setting. And the only rule is that it must be a legal by the book playable character.

I had thought this woulda been understood, but its ok .. I will answer any other questions you may have prior to anything else next time.

my bad hehe ..

Not neccessarily understood from teh outset Len, you did say just cheapest bang for thebuck andin Rifts that can include everythign available in Palladium since Rifts is what it is :D Hell mine was a mega hero from HU2 as well and it nearyl made you crap in a hat so nya nya :D

\m/
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

jaymz wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

my bad hehe ..

Not neccessarily understood from teh outset Len, you did say just cheapest bang for thebuck andin Rifts that can include everythign available in Palladium since Rifts is what it is :D Hell mine was a mega hero from HU2 as well and it nearyl made you crap in a hat so nya nya :D

LOL :lol:

I have to admit I do like yours and Dark's creations. Perhaps I should have been more exact in my question. For that again I apologize.

But as I've stated I am wanting a by the book legal playable lowest bang for the buck, type of character.

:)
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Lenwen wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

my bad hehe ..

I have to admit I do like yours and Dark's creations. Perhaps I should have been more exact in my question. For that again I apologize.

But as I've stated I am wanting a by the book legal playable lowest bang for the buck, type of character.

Ok so to be clear you want the cheapest bang for the buck, Rifts books only creation, no HU no Nightbane no Robotech no anythinh else JUST Rifts books?

Just making sure so you don;t have to repeat yourself again :P

\m/
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

jaymz wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

my bad hehe ..

Ok so to be clear you want the cheapest bang for the buck, Rifts books only creation, no HU no Nightbane no Robotech no anythinh else JUST Rifts books?

Just making sure so you don;t have to repeat yourself again :P

Considering it is on the Rifts threads .. not HU threads , Nightbane threads, or robotech threads or any other thread .

Yes. Rifts books. heck lets go all out an even use the Dimension books. only rules are ..
1) - it has to be lvl 1.
2) - And from the Rifts books
3) - has to be a legal by the books .

Outside of that .. I wanna see what you guys can come up with :)
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Lenwen wrote:Considering it is on the Rifts threads .. not HU threads , Nightbane threads, or robotech threads or any other thread .

Yes. Rifts books. heck lets go all out an even use the Dimension books. only rules are ..
1) - it has to be lvl 1.
2) - And from the Rifts books
3) - has to be a legal by the books .

Outside of that .. I wanna see what you guys can come up with :)

Well considering that Rifts is the amalgamation of anything and everything you can throw into a campaign and is a setting that allows all other palladium games become dimension/sourcebooks because of it, I will allow you to not allow said sourcebooks :D

But it will have to wait a couple of days.

\m/
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

A supersoldier with the right powers and enhancements could kick some serious booty, as well.With even minor powers,and the right enhancements,you might be able to survive a fight with an adult dragon.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I'll toss out an easy one: a Splugorth High Lord (Atlantis) with a Bio-Wizard Juicer conversion (JU, p54).

IQ 16.5
ME 16.5
MA 10.5
PS 28 supernatural
PP 20
PE 19 supernatural
PB 3.5 (pretty, he ain't)
SPD 16.5
MDC 460 + 120 living armor
Attacks 6
ISP 50 (major psionic)
PPE 350 (All spells level 1-13, all stone magic…)

Plus you can add 1 or 2 Bio-Wizard implants. Tacking on a Chest Amalgamate would add another 120 MDC, +1 Attack, Double his Speed, etc... but the thing costs $6M.

Another interesting one is a Hawrk-ka (which are impervious to magic) with a Bio-Juicer conversion.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Subjugator

Anti-Monster. Aren't they free?

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Darkorinth wrote:Unfortunately the High Lord is not listed as an optional player character, although they do look fun. They are strictly NPCs according to standard book rules.

Oops, you are correct. I overlooked that final note.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Subjugator

Darkorinth wrote:
Subjugator wrote:Anti-Monster. Aren't they free?

? Not familiar with what you are refering to?

The Anti-Monster from South America. Other than the costs for it's few implants, it costs nothing.

/Sub

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Subjugator wrote:
Darkorinth wrote:
Subjugator wrote:Anti-Monster. Aren't they free?

? Not familiar with what you are refering to?

The Anti-Monster from South America. Other than the costs for it's few implants, it costs nothing.

/Sub

Actually I don;t think they have to pay for any implants it's all part of the conversion process to become a anti-monster.....and i feel like an idiot for not even thinking about it because I have one playing in my game rioght now :D

\m/
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dark,

I absolutly love it.

But I DO .. have several questions. About your Character .

1) - Lanotaur's are cosidered R.C.C. and as such can they choose to be a Mystic Knight O.C.C. ?

2) - Lanotaur's are not remotly close to Humans. Will the Maxi-Killer Sym .. work on the Lanotaur ?
(There in the book it flat out stats which races it works on)

Outside of that .. I honestly do love that character.
Subjugator

I point to the Monster Brodkil as a Maxi-Killer being a wicked good combination.

/Sub

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Subjugator wrote:I point to the Monster Brodkil as a Maxi-Killer being a wicked good combination.

/Sub

Were you at my house last night ?

HAHA I made me a Bio-Borg Monsta-Brodkil ..

Lvl 1 was a MONDO beasty .. Once I find the paper again I'll be posting it.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Darkorinth wrote:Next we need to give him class, oops I mean a class. An easy call would be to pull out Mercenaries and choose the superspy that has the option of getting 1 major and 1 minor power, however since those are only detailed in HU and Conversion Book 1 I'm going to disqualify that class. Just remember that I could have done it. ;)

isn't skraypers a rifts dimension book with superpowers in it?
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

I prefer humans, and their genetic cousins myself, in most cases, you are just born hardcore.

True Atlantians, which dont pay for tattoos remember, and have both a higher instance of magic, and i think psionics, and are better at both.
Sea Titans, who are seriously hardcore, they can be any occ or pcc, and are just better than humans in every way.
WormWood humans who are born MDC, and can make powerful bonds with the planet itself, and any ones who survive to adulthood are already seriously hardcore.
Nightbane, who are born human, and then turn into what are possibly the most overpowered monsters anywhere.
Zentradie, micronized or not, they are pretty awesome, being genetically engineered warriors and all.
Janissaries, being the best thing to ever come out of Lone Star.

These are all some of my favorites, because they are powerful all on their own. Of course, I only pick them where powergaming. I usually just use a human.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Darkorinth wrote:Still for pure powergaming furry they don't quite keep up with some of the other ubernasties that have been labeled (probably incorrectly) "Optional Player Character". I'm going for as overboard as I can get and from my personal experience in the system the number 1 tool of power gaming is Attacks per Round.

attacks per round is indeed a major currency. most of the other competitors include abilities that allow you to do things without requiring attacks per round (ex: automatic dodge), or things that allow you to do more with your attacks per round (ex: more damage).

ultimately, it's something D&D realised, and it's something any aspiring GM should realise: if one side has a crudload more actions than the other, it's a huge advantage. it's true in just about any game system i am aware of; how often you get to act compared to the other side tends to determine how powerful you ultimately are. abilities which deny others their actions tend to be the most powerful, followed closely by abilities that prevent those lost actions from happening. it is furthermore important to notice that horizontally expanding the number of actions can be much more important than vertically doing so; that is, 5 people with 4 attacks each are in most cases superior to one person with 20 actions, because the 5 people will get all their actions in by the 4th group of attacks, while the 1 guy with 20 doesn't get his attacks if he is dead or incapacitated within that timeframe.

so, the moral of the story? if you want something to be a challenge to your players, it's best if it has a few allies, preferrably the kind that have a little bit of staying power as well.

or, on a more relevant side note: if you want to make the most powerful character possible, these are the areas to focus on: abilities that add actions, abilities that allow you to deny others actions (like magic net), abilities that prevent losing actions (like autododge or even regular dodge at high values, abilities that let you keep your balance, or being able to attack with only mental effort if you're immobilised in some way), and abilities that let you burn through your actions more quickly than anyone else (like paired weapons, summoned monsters, or time slip). next up would be abilities that render the other person's actions highly innefective (such as blinding flash) probably, along with abilities that make your actions more effective (such as having a boom gun for a weapon instead of a laser pistol).

long story short: darkorinth, you forgot to put paired weapons into your build ;)
Subjugator

Lenwen wrote:
Subjugator wrote:I point to the Monster Brodkil as a Maxi-Killer being a wicked good combination.

/Sub

Were you at my house last night ?

HAHA I made me a Bio-Borg Monsta-Brodkil ..

Lvl 1 was a MONDO beasty .. Once I find the paper again I'll be posting it.

Maxi-Killer is better...they get an auto-dodge.

/Sub

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

For a community with limited resources, using ramjet rounds from Mercenaries is a good option. Cheap and I would think a plethora of cheap sdc assault rifles wouldn't to difficult to come by so voila instant low end md weaposn that are cheap and easy to maintain. I am sure GAW would give volume discounts on ammunition for towns etc. :)

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Hillbilly_LineWalker wrote:
jaymz wrote:For a community with limited resources, using ramjet rounds from Mercenaries is a good option. Cheap and I would think a plethora of cheap sdc assault rifles wouldn't to difficult to come by so voila instant low end md weaposn that are cheap and easy to maintain. I am sure GAW would give volume discounts on ammunition for towns etc. :)

I like ramjets but they aren't really any good until you get the BIG calibers like .50 or 14.5 mm

I was thinking why couldn't Wilk's make the CFT in all kinds of sizes, Heck they already make .45 How about putting it in a tommy gun instead, it's the same round.

extrapolating from the damage listed for CFTs It gives the .45 caliber as 2d6 MD a shot and the Spencer .52 as 3d6, so a 5.56 is roughly half the size of the .45 but longer so figure 1d6 MD per round is fair, 7.62 is a little bigger so maybe more (1d6+1 ??) but maybe not. One could extrapolate damage for a whole host of ammo by using the existing CFTs as a guideline and going up or down by caliber/mm. It's much better than the ramjet rounds but still markedly inferior to 1st string main battle rifle

Actually you are right mybad. I was thiking in my games where I only use a 10 sdc - 1 md ration and ramjets do double damage for sdc rounds so a 5d6 sdc round (5.56mm from modern compendium) will do 1d6x10 sdc with a ramjet (thus 1d6 md per round) in my games.

Naruni in New wave sell a bunch of knockoffs (they are not the sdc guns but md guns replicating sd guns) that fire light plasma cartridges in varying calibers.

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Hillbilly_LineWalker wrote:
jaymz wrote:For a community with limited resources, using ramjet rounds from Mercenaries is a good option. Cheap and I would think a plethora of cheap sdc assault rifles wouldn't to difficult to come by so voila instant low end md weaposn that are cheap and easy to maintain. I am sure GAW would give volume discounts on ammunition for towns etc. :)

I like ramjets but they aren't really any good until you get the BIG calibers like .50 or 14.5 mm

I was thinking why couldn't Wilk's make the CFT in all kinds of sizes, Heck they already make .45 How about putting it in a tommy gun instead, it's the same round.

extrapolating from the damage listed for CFTs It gives the .45 caliber as 2d6 MD a shot and the Spencer .52 as 3d6, so a 5.56 is roughly half the size of the .45 but longer so figure 1d6 MD per round is fair, 7.62 is a little bigger so maybe more (1d6+1 ??) but maybe not. One could extrapolate damage for a whole host of ammo by using the existing CFTs as a guideline and going up or down by caliber/mm. It's much better than the ramjet rounds but still markedly inferior to 1st string main battle rifle

Actually you are right mybad. I was thiking in my games where I only use a 10 sdc - 1 md ration and ramjets do double damage for sdc rounds so a 5d6 sdc round (5.56mm from modern compendium) will do 1d6x10 sdc with a ramjet (thus 1d6 md per round) in my games.

Naruni in New wave sell a bunch of knockoffs (they are not the sdc guns but md guns replicating sd guns) that fire light plasma cartridges in varying calibers.

If you are trying to save money,it's best not to have any dealing with NE.

Ah but if you HAVE the money they will sell to you, you just have to avoid the upsell and lay away plans :D

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Darkorinth wrote:In one game I played in we made friends with a group of fairies. We thought it would be a good idea to give them some weaponry to defend themselves with. We made fairy tanks out of RC cars, some MDC plating and laser pistols.

heh that's kewl...I may use that for a Fairy community in general, magically altered toys and such....I can see it now, the fairy community takes to GI Joe old school, those using cobra equipment screaming COBRAAAAAAA as they attack :D :lol:

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Darkorinth wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Darkorinth wrote:In one game I played in we made friends with a group of fairies. We thought it would be a good idea to give them some weaponry to defend themselves with. We made fairy tanks out of RC cars, some MDC plating and laser pistols.

heh that's kewl...I may use that for a Fairy community in general, magically altered toys and such....I can see it now, the fairy community takes to GI Joe old school, those using cobra equipment screaming COBRAAAAAAA as they attack :D :lol:

Have them make a deal with a local Techno-wizard. The techo-wizard gets all the PPE he could want, some fairy food and maybe a few other goodies. The fairies get all kinds of TW goodies, and they have more then enough PPE to power it. After all original conversion books gives fairies 1d6x100 PPE. If a Spriggan or Leprechaun is involved they might be able to provide all the gems needed.

I can se it now.....Fairies flying TWed Cobra Rattler Toys with as much MDC as a guy in Heavy Body Armour flying 100mph firing rockets that are the equivalent of heavy ramjet rounds... LOL

\m/

Return to “Rifts®”