Lockpicking with a Full Conversion Cyborg?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Gamer
Adventurer

Re: Lockpicking with a Full Conversion Cyborg?

Unread post by Gamer »

I would consider the micro-manipulation hand the exception as Darkorinth mentions it's specifically made for that type of work.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Micro-manipulation hand uses the full skill percentage and adds +5% to the skill. The -40% is if you're using the giant, clumsy metal hands. The +2 to P.P. is also ONLY for the micro manipulation hands and the tasks that they are doing.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Galactus Kid

I was under the impression that the micro manipulation hand were smaller hands build into the arm of the borg specifically for delicate tasks, and not replacement hands.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

The Galactus Kid wrote:I was under the impression that the micro manipulation hand were smaller hands build into the arm of the borg specifically for delicate tasks, and not replacement hands.

I swore I saw a picture of it recently that depicted it like that, but with all the rpg books I've been going throught I can't be sure.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

I've always ruled in my games that the borgs' penanties are for the regular hands. In the case of micro-manipulators I drop the negatives and just give them a +5%, there is no reason to keep the penalties for the big borg hands.
The Galactus Kid

Shadow Wyrm wrote:I've always ruled in my games that the borgs' penanties are for the regular hands. In the case of micro-manipulators I drop the negatives and just give them a +5%, there is no reason to keep the penalties for the big borg hands.

agreed.

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Shadow Wyrm wrote:I've always ruled in my games that the borgs' penanties are for the regular hands. In the case of micro-manipulators I drop the negatives and just give them a +5%, there is no reason to keep the penalties for the big borg hands.

agreed.

I would rule as such also. No penalty, and +5% to skill level.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

I'd call her a major exception to the rules.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
The Galactus Kid

"NPC rule immunity. Helping GM's tell better stories for 40 years"

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Angel is also using what are implied to be superior techniques and components. She's straight outta '98 after all. Maybe I missed it, but why would a 'borg even bother with picking a lock? Seems that they'd leave subtlety to a team mate.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

I would have had the borg have a modular system and detach the MMH and replace it with the regular hand when the MMH wasn't needed- if I was the borg anyway.
As the GM I'd be deducting some of it's bonuses for being used as a hammer, it might not loose any MDC, but it would certainly loose it's fine calibration and manipulation.
Using a micro-manipulator to smack anything to me would start to mess up the fine calibration of the hand, doesn't matter if it is MDC, it wasn't made for beating things with, it was made for fine manipulator work.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Lockpicks? We don't need no steenking lockpicks! Break down the door Juan!, But in answer to your question; the penalties apply only to the "regular" hands, not the "lockpicking" ones, and the PP bonus applies only to the special hands not the combat hands.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

keir451 wrote:Lockpicks? We don't need no steenking lockpicks! Break down the door Juan!

If I were playing a full conversion borg that's what I'd do. Forget about being subtle.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Kalidor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kalidor »

Since I'm a Transformers kind of guy, I'd just imagine the borg hand transforms into the mircro hand when he needs to use it. Maybe his real hand goes in his forearm and the micro hand comes out. Maybe a little arm with a little mircro hand come out of his palm or forearm or maybe his hand just makes a "Chhhk chhhoo chhooo" noise and morphs into the micro hand.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

nik_leonard wrote:Well, Lockpicking is useful when deactivating electronic locks, multi-MDC blinded doors that you or your partners can't demolish, security systems and such, but at the end, it depends in the type of Cyborg OCC you are playing. A Combat Cyborg can't buy Mechanics: Lockpick (the good one) and have to rely in door kicking, but another OCC...

And if lockpicking fails, well, Demolitions at 94% can do the thing in a "Combat Cyborgish" Kaboom!! fashion :P (Level 4 Mining Borg with IQ 19... Not your standard combat borg).

And yes, Mining Borgs have the detachable arms upgrade by default. No problem with changing hands.

No arguments there!
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)

Return to “Rifts®”