zombie moan

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DtMK
Hero

Re: zombie moan

Unread post by DtMK »

This is ingenious. Personally I'd allow it, there's nothing that states the zombie moan is in and of itself something so supernatural that it can't be replicated or recorded. Zombies are attracted to noise and sound anyway, so the thought of recording it, then broadcasting it to sound like it's coming from somewhere else as a lure would be excellent! Then of course you have to have a speaker, amplifier and power supply to use the items properly, this could be tricky to get. But if you can assemble these things, I'd say go for it!
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

The only way I can see the sound lure working in DR is if you also had the PPE registering as well.
Why would the zombies gather if they weren't detecting any PPE?
Sounds good on paper but would or should large numbers of zombies be attracted to it even if there is No P.P.E registering to help attract them.
The sound lure works nice if you had a heavy vehicle rigged up with one and slowly drove through an area blaring away and attracting all the zeds within hearing range to lure the zombies to where ever you want.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

So get a 10 wheeler, portable generator, digital player, amplifier, and some stage monitors (speakers) and you have yourself a "come let's gather at the river" lure.
A little RC vehicle with a sound system on it and you have a "is anyone home" set up.
If you find yourself an LRAD, well you will have way too much fun then.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

What i was thinking is take something like a sports stadium and over a period of weeks/months concrete over most of the exits and then on the remaining exits put a bunch of those one way turnstiles that are man height and don't let people out. then you attract a whole bunch of zeds. preferably filling the stadium with the things. once you have a full stadium you then can A: let them rot or B:let the gamed begin and drop some napalm down on the place.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Open air stadiums would be the place to make killzones at.
Indoor ones would be a place to let them rot.
Some local and school sports fields would work as well for killzones.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

It would work IMO but it would probably be easier just to get a zombie in a cage to moan... but for a big bomb lure I could see this being worthwhile.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

The potential for problems while handling the cage is too high.
First you have to get it in said cage, then you have to handle said cage to move it, then you have to keep stinky quiet long enough to move said cage to where ever.

Keeping a zombie "alive" is like capturing a xenomorph (movie "aliens") and everyone has seen the movies knows how well that turns out.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Gamer wrote:The potential for problems while handling the cage is too high.
First you have to get it in said cage, then you have to handle said cage to move it, then you have to keep stinky quiet long enough to move said cage to where ever.

Keeping a zombie "alive" is like capturing a xenomorph (movie "aliens") and everyone has seen the movies knows how well that turns out.

No its comparably easy.

Once you know that a decapitated zed will return to life if you allow the head to reattach all you have to do is decapitate one and secure its pieces in a steel or stout wooden box that has a face hole with a sliding cover and (once the box is secure) allow its head to reattach.
Viola.
Instant Zombie moaner that you turn on simply by sliding the face hole cover open.

Want him to shut up? Cover the face hole and then get out of his sensing range, or if you want to get fancy use a motorized garrot wire (ie electric winch pulled) to re-decapitate him.

No biggie.

Nothing compaired to capturing a xenomorph.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

You never learned from the movies.
You have misplaced over confidence.
As long as it is "alive" there is always chance of infection, there is always a chance involving it something goes wrong, nothing is foolproof.
If a recording works it gets rid of the entire needing a real zombie to moan and any noise itself should work, you could take the siren and lights off a police car set it up someplace and get zombies attention.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Gamer wrote:You never learned from the movies.
As long as it is "alive" there is always chance of infection, there is always a chance involving it something goes wrong, nothing is foolproof.
If a recording works it gets rid of the entire needing a real zombie to moan and any noise itself should work, you could take the siren and lights off a police car set it up someplace and get zombies attention.
Seems like you learned a lot from movies... To bad, in DR there is no chance of catching zombieism from a bite so the infenction of which you speak is not an issue. Getting killed by a zed is the only thing you have to worry about bringing you back as one of them.

Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Although if you are bitten, chances are you're going to be killed by one of them. Not many people who get bitten actually get away. If you are in a situation where you've been bitten once by a zombie, the chances that you are able to escape are pretty slim. And if I'm anywhere near you when you're being munched on, I'll do what I can to help as long as I'm not in danger of becoming dinner. But that usually just means I'll shoot you in the head to prevent you from turning, and then I'm out of there.

I'd do the exact same thing.

Getting bit by one doesn't guarentee you turn into one but it gives a good chance of ordinary infection, human mouths are nasty breeding grounds without being a zombie.
You get a regular infection just how do you plan on staying healthy if you don't have to proper medical supplies, your now a liability to the group.
You can die from said infection which now means you were killed by the zombie and you are now going to become one.

Anyone who thinks that keeping a zombie head in a box is "safe" is seriously way over confident and just begging for trouble.
Keeping zombie in a box is just a mess of variables I don't want anywhere near me.

Citizen Lazlo said yes that a recording should work so that is good enough for me.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Leon Kennedy wrote:
Thinyser wrote:You never learned from the movies.

While your logic is sound, you forget that you still need to get close enough to a real zombie to make a recording of said zombie's moan that would be accurate enough to fool other zombies into believing that a snack has somehow wandered into the midst of them. And according to your own statement above, anything could go wrong with that.

Gamer wrote:Seems like you learned a lot from movies... To bad, in DR there is no chance of catching zombieism from a bite so the infenction of which you speak is not an issue. Getting killed by a zed is the only thing you have to worry about bringing you back as one of them.

Although if you are bitten, chances are you're going to be killed by one of them. Not many people who get bitten actually get away. If you are in a situation where you've been bitten once by a zombie, the chances that you are able to escape are pretty slim. And if I'm anywhere near you when you're being munched on, I'll do what I can to help as long as I'm not in danger of becoming dinner. But that usually just means I'll shoot you in the head to prevent you from turning, and then I'm out of there.

Quotes are reversed here FYI I made the bottom statement you attribute to Gamer.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

My group (whom I started during the wave) currently has "captured" a zombie, but they have yet to fully understand what they potentially have.

They have the head in a 100 gallon metal water trough and the body in back of a empty garbage truck. They know they head still survives and have watched it bite a bamboo pole and also bite a big hunk of steak that they threw in there to see if it would have any special effect on the meat. They have drawn a blood sample from the body and have otherwise ignored it.

The doctor in the group wanted to go to the local highschool to load up on chemical suplies and get some lab equipment like microscopes and centrafuges and a bunch of test tubes and stuff. He wants to extract blood from all the group and compair it to the zombie blood in hopes of figuring out whats the cause or at the least ID any infected party members.

Ran into a snag when there were about a dozen zed hiding amongst the cars (in the packed lot) and more seeming to press at all the windows of the school (its attached gym was a warehouse of dead people when the wave hit and about 200 have yet to wander out since its only been 25 hours since the dead returned to life as zombies.

azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

I'd say yes as well. I'd also say that after just a little bit they'd wander off again ignoring the moaning. I think if they didn't detect any life essence in range after at a minimum a few minutes to at most an hour or two they'd wander off. I can't remember from the books now, but I feel like zombies only contribute to moaning if they detect a life essence, not if they simply hear another moan. If that is the case (and I could be way off base) you are only going to attract ones that can hear the moaning to begin with, you won't setup syncopatic moaning and attract hundreds or thousands from miles around or anything like that. Probably just the ones from within a few city blocks and probably only keep their attention for a few minutes or maybe a couple of hours for they lose interest and shuffle off.

To me is that would be the case, could you use the recording as a 'screen'? IE play it, attract the zombies, get them disinterested and shuffle off and then raid the area. Then if any zombies saw you and took up a moan maybe the others wouldn't react, or wouldn't react until a whole slew more saw you and took up the moan because they are ignoring the original moan. Kind of like the boy who cried wolf.

Gives me some ideas on raiding more built up areas where a lot of zombies might be.
-Matt
Teltum
D-Bee

Unread post by Teltum »

I played in a game that allowed this, and it really caused a lot of problems for the players. So the players have to remember that this is a double edged sword.
Sorry, just to note, "Napalm" is a cop-out. It has always been and always will be the second coolest method of killing zombies. Right behind the chainsaw.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

lakota wrote:can a digital recording be broad cast over speakers to lure zombies to another area.
so the players can escape or for an ambush. the previous would have to be set up a head of time though.

Oh yes!
DR Zombies are attracted to life (PPE) first, artificial light a close second, and sounds next (especailly the moan!)
Some of my more clever players have used boom boxes, cell phones (usually the alarm clock feature), fire crackers to distract zombies.
In fact in our first game (set during the initial uprising), the group sought refuge in a vehicle maitenance garage and was promptly surrounded. Some enterprising members of the posse recoreded a chorus of moaning onto an mp3 player (player's equipment), hooked it up to some battery powered speakers (looted from the garage), and lowered the whole setup from the roof in a bucket on a rope. Successfully lured the swarm (now in the triple digits) to the opposite side of the building away from their one escape.

In Dead Reign, your brain is often more useful then your biggest gun.
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

In Dead Reign, your brain is often more useful then your biggest gun

That would be an understatement. :lol:
Dulce bellum inexpertis.

Return to “Dead Reign™”