Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cchopps
Adventurer

Outbreak?

Unread post by cchopps »

Anyone get a copy yet?
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Re: Outbreak?

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Yup. Last night.

Sorry, not reading it till later this weekend. I also got Rifter 46 and Dark Places and I want to save Outbreak. I am looking at it as, hopefully (no offense to the other authors), saving the best for last. I should be done with Rifter 46 tonight and Dark Places tomorrow or Sunday.

I should have at least initial impressions by Monday.
-Matt

*edit* One thing it reminds me of though, is that I feel like PB maybe needs to update the description of their books once they have gone to print. PB has fairly descriptive bullet points on the back of the book highlighting what is inside, but in their online catalouge some/most of this is missing or much more vague then what is listed on the back cover of the books. It isn't just Outbreak, but a number of other books where the online catalouge is missing some of the bulleted content or it is more vauge.

Its not that big a deal, but just something that I think might help pull a few more people in to some of the books.
Nightshade37
Explorer

Unread post by Nightshade37 »

I'm loving what I have read so far...about 1/4 of the way in.
cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

You guys are killing me.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Just got it...
Oh ####, Oh ####, Oh ####
Thousand-year conspiracies to undermine the morale and cohesion of the Three Galaxies, infiltrators, demonic starships, corrupted power armors, Deals with Deevils...
Take another closer look at your friends and allies, beware of deals that seem too good to be true, and make sure you have plenty of weaponry on hand...You're going to need it....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Just got mine yesterday and loving the final product. I gotta say the art kicks some major ass! My hats off to the artist, even that Mumah guy knocked em out of the park ;) Awesome stuff from all the artist :ok:

Anyone with questions feel free to ask.

Carl
ImageImage
cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

duck-foot wrote:
taalismn wrote:Just got it...
Oh ####, Oh ####, Oh ####
Thousand-year conspiracies to undermine the morale and cohesion of the Three Galaxies, infiltrators, demonic starships, corrupted power armors, Deals with Deevils...
Take another closer look at your friends and allies, beware of deals that seem too good to be true, and make sure you have plenty of weaponry on hand...You're going to need it....

damnit taalismn. just enough to wet my whistle.

Why does my mailman hate me? :cry:
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Carl Gleba wrote:Just got mine yesterday and loving the final product. I gotta say the art kicks some major ass! My hats off to the artist, even that Mumah guy knocked em out of the park ;) Awesome stuff from all the artist :ok:

Anyone with questions feel free to ask.

Carl

So is it a worthy successor to the work of the great C.J. Carella? Or is it just another Gleba limp to the barn?
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Carl Gleba

rat_bastard wrote:So is it a worthy successor to the work of the great C.J. Carella? Or is it just another Gleba limp to the barn?

Oh I'm sure the fans will speak their minds. I'd expect no less.
ImageImage
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Carl Gleba wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:So is it a worthy successor to the work of the great C.J. Carella? Or is it just another Gleba limp to the barn?

Carl Gleba is going to kill me at the OH.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

rat_bastard wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:

Not if I kill you first.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:

Not if I kill you first.

I've decided that I'm going to find Rat Bastard and pull off his arms, legs and then his head.
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

bradshaw wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:

Not if I kill you first.

I've decided that I'm going to find Rat Bastard and pull off his arms, legs and then his head.

Can you feel the love tonight! :P
taalismn
Priest

At least nobody's lit their flamethrowers yet...it's all just mechanical mutilation thus far...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Carl Gleba

bradshaw wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:

Not if I kill you first.

No! Bring your D20's. We roll initiative. High roll gets him first!
ImageImage
taalismn
Priest

Rat Bastard, you seem to have set yourself for the Palladium Edition of 'The Most Dangerous Game'...However, I strongly suspect Carl's not going to be generous or complacent as General Zaroff...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
azazel1024
Champion

Carl Gleba wrote:
No! Bring your D20's. We roll initiative. High roll gets him first!

What happens if you roll a crit failure? :-D

I am about 40 pages in, loving it (and hating being at work today). Not that I expect the rest of the book to suck (because I don't), but seriously, the other 150 odd pages could be total donkey wash and the book was worth every penny. I have been craving Center mapped out and described for ages, and it is almost exactly how I pictured it. By almost I mean cooler, more detailed, etc then I had ever hoped.

Really I expected like 20 pages, a couple of maps, a couple of notes and end of story when someone finally got around to it. So much more detail, so many adventure ideas brewing, etc, etc, etc.

If no one else says it, and crap even if they do, Thank you Carl. Yes, a capitol T on that Thank you.
-Matt
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

OK. I got my copy Saturday. It's not bad. Not trying to stray off topic, but I like Carl's work WAYYY more than CJ's. Hand's down.

That said there was one beef I have with this book so far. The discriptions of the Demon and Devil space stations and base are kinda crappy. The whole point system for bases totally fails in this case. Here's the thing: You discribe about 6 or so bases/ space stations with absolutly NO indication of what or who populate them. No numbers, no racial breakdowns... nothing. Coming off of two great books (Hades, and Dyval) that give the population breakdown at every turn, this is disappointing. I don't know if it got lost in the edit or what, but it's a real bummer.

Other than that, the book is solid, and better than anything CJ wrote. Just sayin...
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Die bastiches :P
We here in the big T.O. have to wait on Diamond Comics shipping schedual: which is, it'll get to the store when it feels like it.

That, and only ONE STORE in the entire bloody city actually still carries PBooks products. I guess the rest of the stores were sick of the wonkey production calendar and consumers NOT comming back.
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

DhAkael wrote:Die bastiches :P
We here in the big T.O. have to wait on Diamond Comics shipping schedual: which is, it'll get to the store when it feels like it.

That, and only ONE STORE in the entire bloody city actually still carries PBooks products. I guess the rest of the stores were sick of the wonkey production calendar and consumers NOT comming back.

So order it online. I have no idea who carries PB products in my area, so I just order all my books from PB (or Amazon)...
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Amazon has a 200% markup in price.
I know; I've cross-checked. Shelf price is WAY lower than ordering through the "other guys".
If it were otherwise trust me, I'd by-pass Diamond in a heartbeat. Well, Diamond and US customs on the border *gives the Trudeau salute to the blue-shirts at the border crossings*

Leaves of the lotus rise

Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

I've actually got PB stuff cheaper that the cover price at amazon, but whatever...
taalismn
Priest

You'd think that with Lazlo being the de facto center of law, order, peace, and understanding in the Rifts Earth setting, they'd wrangle a deal for duty-free import into Canada... :bandit: :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Carl Gleba

Hystrix wrote:OK. I got my copy Saturday. It's not bad. Not trying to stray off topic, but I like Carl's work WAYYY more than CJ's. Hand's down.

That said there was one beef I have with this book so far. The discriptions of the Demon and Devil space stations and base are kinda crappy. The whole point system for bases totally fails in this case. Here's the thing: You discribe about 6 or so bases/ space stations with absolutly NO indication of what or who populate them. No numbers, no racial breakdowns... nothing. Coming off of two great books (Hades, and Dyval) that give the population breakdown at every turn, this is disappointing. I don't know if it got lost in the edit or what, but it's a real bummer.

Other than that, the book is solid, and better than anything CJ wrote. Just sayin...

Thanks for the compliment and constructive feedback Hystrix. :ok:

I reviewed my original manuscript and all i can say is D'oh!

I did put some numbers down under Castle Halthhag, but why I didn't do it for the others I have no idea. Pretty much an oversight on my part. Sorry about that. :(

Good feedback! This is the kind of constructive criticism we need. :ok:

Carl
ImageImage
azazel1024
Champion

Erratta post?

I guess as an expansion (reading some more this evening) I also like that things don't get too detailed or bogged down in details on the center level descriptions. Leaves some room to be filled out on certain sections (even the most detailed ones) in future supplements or by the GM. A lot to work with and enough for those who like details as well.
-Matt
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Carl Gleba wrote:
Hystrix wrote:OK. I got my copy Saturday. It's not bad. Not trying to stray off topic, but I like Carl's work WAYYY more than CJ's. Hand's down.

Thanks for the compliment and constructive feedback Hystrix. :ok:

I reviewed my original manuscript and all i can say is D'oh!

I did put some numbers down under Castle Halthhag, but why I didn't do it for the others I have no idea. Pretty much an oversight on my part. Sorry about that. :(

Good feedback! This is the kind of constructive criticism we need. :ok:

Carl

Hey no problem, man. Like i said, your stuff is pretty solid, that stuff just stands out to me. Just something for consideration for future books: population est are always good. I know it's not the end all be all, just helps complete the overall picture. Keep up the good work.
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

azazel1024 wrote:Erratta post?

I guess as an expansion (reading some more this evening) I also like that things don't get too detailed or bogged down in details on the center level descriptions. Leaves some room to be filled out on certain sections (even the most detailed ones) in future supplements or by the GM. A lot to work with and enough for those who like details as well.
-Matt

Maybe they'll update it in newer printings and sit back a giggle while those who bought it first have hissy fits on the boards.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Today and I'm on p. 25 and though there are a few typos (hhe and a phrase where "can may" appears) I'm loving what I'm reading.

I LOVE CENTER !!!!

Thanks Carl!
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Scorpion Leader
Explorer
Comment: "Marines We are Leaving...maybe we should Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Unread post by Scorpion Leader »

Besides the usual typos this book is awe.....some!! Carls best work yet i think! one thing i noticed is the Naruni Concistador Cruiser is missing sheilds?
taalismn
Priest

Excellent book...Next time I'm going through Boston South Station, I'll think; "Man, I shoulda gone through Center."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Carl Gleba

Scorpion Leader wrote:Besides the usual typos this book is awe.....some!! Carls best work yet i think! one thing i noticed is the Naruni Concistador Cruiser is missing sheilds?

:badbad: How did i miss that!! :thwak:

I can't even blame the editors. I'll start compiling this stuff and do an "unofficial Errata" and post it later. I'll hand it over to Kevin and company for their consideration on a future printing.

For the Conquistador's shields give it 5,000 per side 30,000 total.

Thanks Scorpion Leader :ok:

Carl
ImageImage
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

-meh-
I knew there were gonna be SNAFU's in the book...okay..so 5k on the shields for the conquistador?
OR.... just have it slaved to the other ship it synch up with *shrug*
JUST got my copy today.
ALMOST left it on the shelf but a little gremlin on my shoulder said "Go'wannnn..take a chance!" :twisted:
So I did ($26 later...), and well, gotta say; VERY well thought out.
TECHNICAL issues aside, it's a pretty solid addition to the Tri-Gal setting.
Of course I'm a gonna have to mark where the "oopsie" omissions are and fill-in-the-blanks, but hey, I wouldn't be a GM if I didn't accept that duty. :D
So yeah, so far I'd give this book a solid 7 outa 10 on first glance.
Pity about the cover though :(
INTERIOR artwork is spot on.

Leaves of the lotus rise

Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Have only flipped through the book but like what I have seen so far.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
azazel1024
Champion

Carl Gleba wrote:
Scorpion Leader wrote:Besides the usual typos this book is awe.....some!! Carls best work yet i think! one thing i noticed is the Naruni Concistador Cruiser is missing sheilds?

I can't even blame the editors. I'll start compiling this stuff and do an "unofficial Errata" and post it later. I'll hand it over to Kevin and company for their consideration on a future printing.

Carl

Debating whether I should defile the book by writting in the margins, putting a stickie in there or just memorizing the number.

Probably memorizing the number :) .
-Matt
Robroy
Explorer

Unread post by Robroy »

azazel1024 wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:

Carl

Debating whether I should defile the book by writting in the margins, putting a stickie in there or just memorizing the number.

-Matt

I have a bad case of CRS, it is why I keep little post-it notes around
"Where ever you go, there you are"-Buckaroo Banzai

"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu
azazel1024
Champion

My wife tells me I do as well.

Or at least I think she does. Can't really remember :D
-Matt
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Robroy wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:

Carl

-Matt

I have a bad case of CRS, it is why I keep little post-it notes around

Me too. I'm pretty sure that there are parts of my brain that refuse to work because of how I treated them in college. Its not that they're damaged or anything. Just that they are doing this to spite me until I convince them that I love them and won't treat them that way ever again. It was a pretty one-sided cycle of abuse, and they deserve better. lol.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Just picked up my copy today!!! Majestic's art work is AWESOME!!!!! The demon forces are something to be truly reckoned with (time to bring in the REF and Zentraedi fleets :lol: ). It has a lot of potential esp. the new magic spells for space!

Addendum: Maybe it's time my Wolfen/human/Dog Boy mercenary force w/ the Covenant Warship (from Halo) puts in an apperance?
Last edited by keir451 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I'll have to write a review once I find the time, I have a couple questions but for the most part, I'm LOVING it!

For the questions, I thought Dysashas resembled wolves, not demon bears? But since he didn't throw his hat in with Ahriman and ursines and canines are cousins, I can let that one go. Also, I can appreciate the demons going for their grand scheme, but I thought we might have seen more about the portal to Dyval. Isn't that the prime target? My guess is that is wasn't specified because attempting to take over Center section by section as well as the Three Galaxies would be more of the focus on this wave. Perhaps once they've taken over Center, then the portal controls would be theirs.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Bizarely enough, all this ties in VERY nicely with my own campaign 'verse.
Mind you, there is a THIRD dark power in the background watching both Devil & Daemon rip each other apart, while the mortal races get caught in the cross-fire.
Needless to say contestant #3 is amused :demon:
STIL sloggin' through the Center descriptions and the various ways the Prometheans fleece everyone who comes to their house ;)
Are you SURE that the true Naruni are the biggest money grubbers of the megaverse?
Cuz I think the Blockheads are giving them a run (pardon pun) for their money... :D

As for the Dyval and Hades war-gear... YIPE!
And I thought the Tharkoldu(tm/cr), and Kornate(tm/cr) forces were nasty in their respective 'verses.

Gleba my man, you are a sadist sans-peur.
I approve! :ok:

Leaves of the lotus rise

azazel1024
Champion

Actually you'll find later

Spoiler:
That the Prometheans are so uber neutral with everything because they are money grubing capitolists of the worst type. They love money, power, etc, etc. They once went nutzo in the 3 galaxies with all this and did some bad stuff (not horribly evil, just misguided) that turned out badly for a lot of people. The collective race felt bad about it and tried/trying to make ammends by being as neutral as they possibly can and just running Phase world/center. They have tons of desire to meddle and take a center stage role in the 3 galaxies, but are so paranoid about repeating their previous mistakes and they know they crave power so much that they refrain from doing anything other then being neutral and controlling their single system. Almost a bit like Vulcans realize they have this sea of emotion thrashing around beneath the surface and do everything they can to control it. In this case the Prometheans focus on trying for higher enlightenment and to not be involved in anything outside of their system's boundries.

Also the thing I am wondering is
Spoiler:
Once the Prometheans, et al, beat off the Demons and I suppose the Devils, or else the Devils decide to leave if the Prometheans will go back to business as usual or if Demons and/or Devil will become personas non grata from here on out. The Splugorth and Kreghor aren't for their attacks, but their's also came a hell of a lot further from succeeding

-Matt
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

*ebil grinnin's*
THTAT...we will have to see.

Leaves of the lotus rise

DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

My review is up ladies and gentlemen, please feel free to check it out, give your thoughts and maybe even write your own.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

All of the Naruni Ships having Phase drives irked me, In my opinion Naruni ships would have Naruni manufactured parts, not some third party parts that would have to be contracted out to a single obscure race that primarily exists in one select part of the galaxy. Naruni sells in vast lots to anyone and having a technical bottleneck for such an important part of their products is silly to me. In my games they would have proprietary grav drives.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

rat_bastard wrote:All of the Naruni Ships having Phase drives irked me, In my opinion Naruni ships would have Naruni manufactured parts, not some third party parts that would have to be contracted out to a single obscure race that primarily exists in one select part of the galaxy. Naruni sells in vast lots to anyone and having a technical bottleneck for such an important part of their products is silly to me. In my games they would have proprietary grav drives.

so?
You're the GM; swap 'em out with said NE Grav drives and say THAT is canon.
See?
Easy.

Leaves of the lotus rise

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

DhAkael wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:All of the Naruni Ships having Phase drives irked me, In my opinion Naruni ships would have Naruni manufactured parts, not some third party parts that would have to be contracted out to a single obscure race that primarily exists in one select part of the galaxy. Naruni sells in vast lots to anyone and having a technical bottleneck for such an important part of their products is silly to me. In my games they would have proprietary grav drives.

so?
You're the GM; swap 'em out with said NE Grav drives and say THAT is canon.
See?
Easy.
umm, maybe you should check what I wrote again, thats what I said.

Gleba is a big boy, he can take my criticism.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Upon completion I think its well worth the $25, however as usuall there needs to be some effective proofreeding done with an old fassion red pen on a paper manuscript.

Typos and easily caught errors abound. Way more than what I see in other professional publications. Hell even High Times has fewer typos and mistakes than the average Palladium product.

Still great book overall and makes me want to see more of this line.

Also -Ratty- I somewhat agree with Naruni having their own drives but I think that they would use phase drives too since they are "light years" ahead of anything else on the market. Naruni are not so proud that they wont use a better product if they cannot produce it themselves... thing is they only can't produce it themselves in the case of phase tech so its practically the only instance where they will ever use another's wares. Also, I'd bet they are spending mint and working night and day trying to replicate this tech, even while they shell out tons of cash to buy it from the Prometheans.
Last edited by Thinyser on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Thinyser wrote:Also -Ratty- I somewhat agree with Naruni having their own drives but I think that they would use phase drives too since they are "light years" ahead of anything else on the market. Naruni are not so proud that they wont use a better product if they cannot produce it themselves... thing is they only can't produce it themselves in the case of phase tech so its practically the only instance where they will ever use another's wares. Also, I'd bet they are spending mint and working night and day trying to replicate this tech, even while they shell out tons of cash to buy it from the Prometheans.

Naruni's goal is to be the top seller of the most weapons, vehicles and goods to the entire universe. They can't accomplish this goal by selling goods designed and maintained by a third party. Imagine if ford decided to sell cars with engines that could only be comprehended, built or given maintenance by Haitians, not just any Haitians, but Hatians that have taken the time to learn how to work on engines, so only a small percentage of Haitians can work effectively on these engines. So every time you needed someone to work on your F-150 you had to either ship your truck to Haiti or find a repair shop that hired genuine Haitians. Ford would go out of business in a week with such an unworkable business plan.

It is unrealistic for Naruni to sell ships with Phase drives because the only people who can provide anything more than the most basic maintenance are Prometheans who have taken it upon themselves to study starship engineering. This is a absurd business plan, especially since all of Naruni's internal vehicles use faster gravity drives.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

rat_bastard wrote:
Thinyser wrote:Also -Ratty- I somewhat agree with Naruni having their own drives but I think that they would use phase drives too since they are "light years" ahead of anything else on the market. Naruni are not so proud that they wont use a better product if they cannot produce it themselves... thing is they only can't produce it themselves in the case of phase tech so its practically the only instance where they will ever use another's wares. Also, I'd bet they are spending mint and working night and day trying to replicate this tech, even while they shell out tons of cash to buy it from the Prometheans.

Naruni's goal is to be the top seller of the most weapons, vehicles and goods to the entire universe. They can't accomplish this goal by selling goods designed and maintained by a third party. Imagine if ford decided to sell cars with engines that could only be comprehended, built or given maintenance by Haitians, not just any Haitians, but Hatians that have taken the time to learn how to work on engines, so only a small percentage of Haitians can work effectively on these engines. So every time you needed someone to work on your F-150 you had to either ship your truck to Haiti or find a repair shop that hired genuine Haitians. Ford would go out of business in a week with such an unworkable business plan.

It is unrealistic for Naruni to sell ships with Phase drives because the only people who can provide anything more than the most basic maintenance are Prometheans who have taken it upon themselves to study starship engineering. This is a absurd business plan, especially since all of Naruni's internal vehicles use faster gravity drives.

Ok I get you now... I was thinking that they were the vehicles the Naruni used themselves not the ones they sold. Yeah I agree that is a bad business plan and a dangerous one too if the Prometheans ever quit being friends with Naruni and shut down all Phase drives at once with the flick of a switch!

Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

I agree with Rat Bastard, it's an oversight that should have been caught before publication. But it seem that things like that are happening more and more often as new authors write new material but don't do the research to see if there might be some contradictions in their material.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”