Can animals get the juicer option

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Can animals get the juicer option

Unread post by Shark_Force »

presumably a juiced horse would be as skittish and jumpy as... well... as a juiced horse. it's probably theoretically possible, but the horse likely won't take to the treatment nearly as well as a human, imo. mostly i'd expect that the horse would be very unfun to train to use it's new abilities though.

a dog could also probably work, and would probably work a lot better (than a horse) in fact.

in either case, however, i expect there would be a significant amount of research involved, or vastly shorter lifespans than you get out of a regular juicer, because the animal has different reactions to different chemicals so injecting a horse with the same cocktail of drugs could quite possibly kill the horse within a few months, or even a few days or hours (which would be much too short of a timeframe for the full benefits of the conversion to be given, imo)
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

No, Juicser Uprisings has the list of what species can get the conversion.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Yes. Juicer Uprising doesn't address the idea of animal juicers because the writer never thought about it, not because it's impossible.

You couldn't just walk into a cyberdoc's clinic and turn your goat or your llama or whatever into a juicer (well you could, but he'd die very quickly because he's being flooded with insane amounts of drugs and hormones that are tailored to the human metabolism). But with trial and error and a lot of dead goats, researchers in Rifts could figure out how to do juicer augmentation for various animal species.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

I don't like the answer "no" so lets see here
I know i'll use the analytical hardware as my base.

Modify a technology, . . I'll use the same modifiers for Build/duplication:
-30% for Earth Advanced Tech . . . but since we're modifying it to work on something other than its intended target I'll just bump it up one catagory so -50%

If Major System work is 24-48 hours *100 for super advanced tech. 2400-4800 hours to complete your system.

So in about a year and a half, assuming you work a standard work day, i'll let your character roll thier juicer tech roll to see if they've successfuly designed a jucier system that works on animals.

Of course i'm open to negotiations on the time and penalties [you may have several other scientists with you, or you already have the plans from los alamo that allows for successful dog boy conversions]
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Rallan wrote:Yes. Juicer Uprising doesn't address the idea of animal juicers because the writer never thought about it, not because it's impossible.

Or he did consider it and realised it would super lame? :P
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

ICHIBAN11 wrote:
Stormchild wrote:I assume that experimentation had been done on animals during the development of the technology. The only problem I see in letting animals be juiced is the lack of animal-centered chemicals (or research data) being available. Do the research, redevelop the chemicals, and Juice away... just be ready for an animal that is a little nervous :lol:

Agreed the research data would have to either redone or discovered hidden somewhere. With a few exceptions most animals has a shorter lifespan than humans, so this could mean that your Juicer animal might die within a year or two of being juiced. That might make the cost of having a juiced dog or horse not very cost effective.

i don't think in most cases it has to do with natural lifespan, it's simply a matter of wearing out the body faster than it can repair itself.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

I'm going to agree with the people who say no. This is just stupid. 3 month cat juicer. 5 month dog juicer. 3 year elephant juicer. Come on. In order for this to be fair and balanced, you would have to know the lifespan of every real world animal in existence. It's a GAME, people.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Balabanto wrote:I'm going to agree with the people who say no. This is just stupid. 3 month cat juicer. 5 month dog juicer. 3 year elephant juicer. Come on. In order for this to be fair and balanced, you would have to know the lifespan of every real world animal in existence. It's a GAME, people.

Not to mention that an animal that's pumped up in full fight-or-flight mode 24/7 is gonna be damn near impossible to keep trained and disciplined. If someone ever developed a juicer process for dogs or horses or whatever, the market would be kinda limited to wealthy people who want very unusual pets, and folks running underground fights.
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

too late...it's already happened:

http://blogmuscle.files.wordpress.com/2 ... wendy1.png

I'm just kidding that's actually just a mutant abnormality for that breed of dog, the Whippet.

but in relation to the OP...no...it's heart would explode, it would have a stroke, or it would not be able to keep the nutritional levels necessary to support it's own body and die of starvation/dehydration.
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

As a one shot mad scientist thing to unleash on the players?
Sure. But the mad scientist is also going to have to invest in some heavy duty shock collars to deal with increased aggression from the animals, as well as several "handlers" to keep the juiced up beasts under control.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

I admit the process of full jucier conversion on a dog or horse is kinda stupid, but what about just giving them enhancement drugs like those found in WBs 5 and 10?
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads

Return to “Rifts®”