2010 Beer and whisky party.

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

2010 Beer and whisky party.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

OK, its happening again, Me and Mac are going to host another home brewed beer party, Friday night at our hotel room. This year the brews are Bastard's Brew, a ale with a wonderful blend of honey malts, rat_bastard's IPA, a beer as bitter as rat_bastard's resentment of Brandon Aten and a Porter, made from a beer kit labeled "Porter".

We may have a few other sundry beers and a few bottles of mead, as well as some beverages we may or may not have distilled ourselves.

Now about the Whiskey, well, we feel if we are going to bring our a-game with beers we carefully brewed the least our guests could do is try and get us drunk, so the challenge is to bring a bottle of your preferred whiskey. I'm talking sipping whiskey, not the stuff you mix with coke, so no bottles of aristocrap or midnight hobo. Good Vodka would also be appreciated.

You must be 18 to enter and 21 to drink, the room's doors open at about 9:00 PM and close when the hosts pass out.

Also Mac had stomach surgery last august so he will be the designated sober guy along with Subbie, respect their sober judgment.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: 2010 Beer and whisky party.

Unread post by Jorel »

We'll be at the hotel Friday. We plan on attending your 2010 Beer n Whiskey party.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

1) If everything goes according to plan, Bastards Brew is becoming famous this year. You'll see what I mean.
2) I will be bringing Bourbon. Yes, its a type of whiskey but it is entirely better.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I think Id like to see a picture of Rat Bastards home before trying something home-brewed. I have images of lots of little rats lying on their backs in sewerage with empty bottles of Jack next to them...
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Are you doing any sodas this year? A friend did a root beer / sasparilla that was really impressive and he's trying a honey root beer next. As for beers, I am interested to see how your ale turns out.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Spinachcat wrote:Are you doing any sodas this year? A friend did a root beer / sasparilla that was really impressive and he's trying a honey root beer next. As for beers, I am interested to see how your ale turns out.

No, it turned out really bad and me and Mac decided if we want to drink a bunch of sugars we'll have a beer.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

I’ve got tickets to the VIP and rest for the weekend but I am unsure if I will go or not. If I do RB I’ll be there this time for sure. Not like a good Canuk to miss a beer and whisky party. I’ll bring a bottle of 18year old Gibson’s Finest. Does that qualify?
Last edited by Greyaxe on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
The Galactus Kid

Greyaxe wrote:I’ve got tickets to the VIP ad rest for the weekend but an unsure if I will go or not. If I do RB I’ll be there this time for sure. Not like a good Canuk to miss a beer and whisky party. I’ll bring a bottle of 18year old Gibson’s Finest. Does that qualify?

Aw dude, you totally have to come. If not for the booze, for the fun.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Hmm... is Rat Bastard worth a shot of my Single Barrel JD? I guess that depends on what he brings to the table this year... :)

I'll be sure to at least stop in again this year, though I'll try and tip back at least one and be a little more sociable (it'll help if I'm not trying to GM a game this year).
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
The Galactus Kid

I only got to stop in for a bit last year, because I was running games at the warehouse so late. I want to be scheduled early this year so I can attend and be in some pick up games at the hotel like Warwolfs nightbane game last year. Oh well. Regardless, I'm bringing a bottle of JD (for everyone who drinks it...I've had it in my house for months but wont touch the stuff, and a couple bottles of bourbon for me and those worthy of its goodness.

Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:I’ve got tickets to the VIP ad rest for the weekend but an unsure if I will go or not. If I do RB I’ll be there this time for sure. Not like a good Canuk to miss a beer and whisky party. I’ll bring a bottle of 18year old Gibson’s Finest. Does that qualify?

HA! got some income tax back. Things are looking up. Now for a passport......
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Greyaxe wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:

Could this mean, mayhap, that I might soon meet another of my whiskey-swilling, metal-headed brethren? I know that on this side of the border there was news of a back-log of passport applications, so I hope you got yours in earlier.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Warwolf wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:

Could this mean, mayhap, that I might soon meet another of my whiskey-swilling, metal-headed brethren? I know that on this side of the border there was news of a back-log of passport applications, so I hope you got yours in earlier.

It seems this may come to pass. Assuming the passport thing doesn’t go awry.
The Galactus Kid

Ninjabunny wrote:Anyone a fan of Canadian Mist or Markers Mark?

I'm a fan of Makers Mark. I'm a Makers Mark Ambassador.

Bourbon is to Whiskey as Squares are to Rectangles.

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

I also like Maker's Mark.
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
The Galactus Kid

mumah wrote:I also like Maker's Mark.

Thats a good thing, roomie.

The Galactus Kid

Ninjabunny wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:

Maker's Mark is so smooth and just finishes so clean, Same reason I like Canadian Mist same strength as Jack but smoother and not so costly.

Evan Williams 9 year, Buffalo Trace Eagle Rare, Blantons. I really like Makers Mark, but living in KY has its perks...like a lot of better Bourbon. This is your summer reading list.

Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:

Maker's Mark is so smooth and just finishes so clean, Same reason I like Canadian Mist same strength as Jack but smoother and not so costly.

Evan Williams 9 year, Buffalo Trace Eagle Rare, Blantons. I really like Makers Mark, but living in KY has its perks...like a lot of better Bourbon. This is your summer reading list.

Yes, to the above plus some love for Woodford Reserve.
The Galactus Kid

Ninjabunny wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:

My families from Bell county, I shall do this summer reading.....................*heck-up*

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Four roses and Elijah Craig 18 year are my favorite American whiskeys.
ingexthefuryhunter1
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by ingexthefuryhunter1 »

Maccracken county here, Western Kentucky, transplanted to California. If you all want and I can swing it past airport security, in my check baggage I will try and bring some good ole corn made moonshine. What you guys say. :)
The Galactus Kid

rat_bastard wrote:Four roses and Elijah Craig 18 year are my favorite American whiskeys.

Depends on which Four Roses. If I bring Blantons, that will be reserved for a few special people (maybe even you, Ratty lol) and I may bring some Makers or Evan Williams to share.

ingexthefuryhunter1 wrote:Maccracken county here, Western Kentucky, transplanted to California. If you all want and I can swing it past airport security, in my check baggage I will try and bring some good ole corn made moonshine. What you guys say. :)

ick. No offense. My old neighbor brought some shine back from Eastern Kentucky one weekend. If you have ever thought of what a live rat burrowing itself out of your neck would feel like, I think I can accurately describe it.

ingexthefuryhunter1
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by ingexthefuryhunter1 »

That was Rock Gut, I make true white lightening, taste like sugar kicks like a mule and leaves you wanting more. But I found out that I can not even check a pint, as it is a liquid so I guess I will being picking up a bottle of Markers Mark ten year when I land.
Nowhere65
Wanderer

Unread post by Nowhere65 »

If I remember correctly, the Kroger just down the road from the hotel has a liquor store department up at the front just past the registers.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Ninjabunny wrote:I'm gonna drive a car over ratty's handsome face.

The Galactus Kid wrote:not before I punch him in his stupid head

Nimmy wrote:
Warning: not before I ban his stupid face from the boards

some random guy wrote:I will crush him with my mind!

you guys are mean!
Teltum
D-Bee

Unread post by Teltum »

I am in. Jameason or mm. Maybe gentalman jack... hell maybe all 3. I got a half bottle of each i need to drink... though i do like jameason of the whole lot.
Sorry, just to note, "Napalm" is a cop-out. It has always been and always will be the second coolest method of killing zombies. Right behind the chainsaw.
The Galactus Kid

I'm a fan of Jameson if I'm drinking Whiskey. Believe me, I will educate the lot of you on the diffeence between whiskey and bourbon.

Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

The Galactus Kid wrote:I'm a fan of Jameson if I'm drinking Whiskey. Believe me, I will educate the lot of you on the diffeence between whiskey and bourbon.

Ohhhhh really....................
The Galactus Kid

Reelman wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:I'm a fan of Jameson if I'm drinking Whiskey. Believe me, I will educate the lot of you on the diffeence between whiskey and bourbon.

Ohhhhh really....................

With the exception of this chump. hahaha.

Bourbon whiskey should at all times be referred to as bourbon and NOT whiskey. Its like referring to a Lamborghini as a simple car. Sure, it is an automobile but referring to it as such puts it in the same league as Ford Festiva when in actuality they are two very different things.

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I don't know much about whiskey/bourbon. I don't really do the hard stuff. I'm a Bells fan myself. I stock my fridge here in Madtown with the Two Hearted. I had thought about picking up a case of that instead of the whiskey. If that is a drink ya'll find agreeable. Else maybe I'll buy the bottle of whiskey and possibly drink all the beer.

"The Devil's among us!
The Galactus Kid

jorel wrote:I don't know much about whiskey/bourbon. I don't really do the hard stuff. I'm a Bells fan myself. I stock my fridge here in Madtown with the Two Hearted. I had thought about picking up a case of that instead of the whiskey. If that is a drink ya'll find agreeable. Else maybe I'll buy the bottle of whiskey and possibly drink all the beer.

Bell's Two Hearted is RAD!!!

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
jorel wrote:I don't know much about whiskey/bourbon. I don't really do the hard stuff. I'm a Bells fan myself. I stock my fridge here in Madtown with the Two Hearted. I had thought about picking up a case of that instead of the whiskey. If that is a drink ya'll find agreeable. Else maybe I'll buy the bottle of whiskey and possibly drink all the beer.

Bell's Two Hearted is RAD!!!

My heart agrees. My liver disagrees. My brain is confused. Maybe I need a beer. Oops, too early.

"The Devil's among us!
The Galactus Kid

jorel wrote:Oops, too early.

Never

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

What do the hosts of the party think of my suggestion?

"The Devil's among us!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

jorel wrote:

If you feel it deserves to be brought and it has a character worth sharing go ahead and bring it, Just don't be like those drunk yahoos last year who brought a case of Budweiser and expect us to be impressed.
The Galactus Kid

rat_bastard wrote:
jorel wrote:

If you feel it deserves to be brought and it has a character worth sharing go ahead and bring it, Just don't be like those drunk yahoos last year who brought a case of Budweiser and expect us to be impressed.

Was that before or after I got there? If I see budweiser, I'm refusing them the sale of Triax 2.

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Which is the favorite beer Ninjabunny?

"The Devil's among us!
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

I am following this thread with interest :-D

The Galactus Kid wrote:If I see budweiser...

Incidentally, I like that beer. Assuming you mean the American Budweiser, it is refreshing and tastes well.

Actually, to be exact, I like both unrelated namesakes.

Certainly, the Czech version is - *cough* (historically speaking and in terms of Bavarian heritage of beers) in essence a German beer *cough* - and fantastic. The American Budweiser is lighter, not strictly speaking a German beer which in the world are surely without par *cough again*, but a great drink. Beer to beer comparison in that case is like apples and oranges. But, incidentally again, it could be said that the US Budweiser has very German roots as both founders were Germans.

While speaking of beer, a great - also essentially German - beer is the Chinese Tsingtao, founded during Germany's short stint at colonialism in 1903. And, while I have not followed this fully, Anheuser-Busch, at least for a time, held a considerable stake in Tsintao (though they wanted to sell at least a major part in 2009; don't know if they did). So: The company of the descendant's of German immigrants had shares in a German founded now Chinese beer company.

Funnily enough, while I think that nobody can sincerely contend that any beer is better than a German beer, I myself prefer English ales, such as Newcastle Brown Ale and Abbot Ale.

Aaah, beer.

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Ninjabunny wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:Was that before or after I got there? If I see budweiser, I'm refusing them the sale of Triax 2.

Hey that's my favorite domestic beer sir (sam adams a very close second) Heineken is my favorite beer.

Yeah, if he had said such 2-3 years ago those would have been fighting words (St. Louis is my "home city"). However, now that they are owned by InBev (a local tragedy by the way) I feel much less loyalty to their brands. Of course, I do still like most of their labels (Bud, Bud Light, Busch, and Busch Light) but avoid buying them when I can.

I have enjoyed expanding my horizons in the past several years though (I dig Killians, Heineken, and Boulevard Wheat so far). That reminds me, my friend has some Sam Adams Cherry Wheat for me to try... I think I may need to make a trip this evening. :)
The Galactus Kid

Warwolf wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:Was that before or after I got there? If I see budweiser, I'm refusing them the sale of Triax 2.

Hey that's my favorite domestic beer sir (sam adams a very close second) Heineken is my favorite beer.

Yeah, if he had said such 2-3 years ago those would have been fighting words (St. Louis is my "home city"). However, now that they are owned by InBev (a local tragedy by the way) I feel much less loyalty to their brands. Of course, I do still like most of their labels (Bud, Bud Light, Busch, and Busch Light) but avoid buying them when I can.

I have enjoyed expanding my horizons in the past several years though (I dig Killians, Heineken, and Boulevard Wheat so far). That reminds me, my friend has some Sam Adams Cherry Wheat for me to try... I think I may need to make a trip this evening. :)

1) If you prefer Budweiser to Sam, I weep for you.
2) Warwolf...St. Louis and no Schlafly love?
3) Bunny, I guess I'm going to sell Triax 2 to Shini and tell her not to show it to you.

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Ok, about American Beer:

Back during that great war we all remember fondly The Americans sent a huge amount of its strapping young lads overseas, so the price of grains and wheat went up. So American beer companies used rice as part of their recipes and lowered the hops becuase it was all they could afford, this produced the modern American McBeer (bud, miller, pabst etc) which gave america a well deserved reputation for light mild beers.

However, the American desire to have 2000 different choices of everything combined with innovators like Jim Kotch (brewer of Sam Adams) has caused a Renaissance of brewing in the states. While the most common beers sold in america are the McBrews it should be noted that america has brews with all of the passion and love of beer that any other nation can boast.

One thing I did learn that surprised the heck out of me was that Budweiser and its like are popular in Europe, not as beer but as a light beer substitute, for when you want a beer but a beer would be a bit heavy.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

rat_bastard wrote:Ok, about American Beer:

Back during that great war we all remember fondly The Americans sent a huge amount of its strapping young lads overseas, so the price of grains and wheat went up. So American beer companies used rice as part of their recipes and lowered the hops becuase it was all they could afford, this produced the modern American McBeer (bud, miller, pabst etc) which gave america a well deserved reputation for light mild beers.

However, the American desire to have 2000 different choices of everything combined with innovators like Jim Kotch (brewer of Sam Adams) has caused a Renaissance of brewing in the states. While the most common beers sold in america are the McBrews it should be noted that america has brews with all of the passion and love of beer that any other nation can boast.

One thing I did learn that surprised the heck out of me was that Budweiser and its like are popular in Europe, not as beer but as a light beer substitute, for when you want a beer but a beer would be a bit heavy.

Hi there,

that's very interesting, thank you. Nice background info I did not have.

To my shame I thought that the States have nothing but the likes of Coor's, Miller and Bud. I stand humbled. Certainly, and just in case anyone would think so, no offence was meant!

rat_bastard wrote: One thing I did learn that surprised the heck out of me was that Budweiser and its like are popular in Europe, not as beer but as a light beer substitute, for when you want a beer but a beer would be a bit heavy.

That's right. At least for me. Nothing beats a couple of Coor's light or Miller's when BBQ'ing, for me that is. You can drink lots, have a beerish taste and it is more refreshing but not unlike a softdrink. That is not slighting these beers, actually I think it is a compliment because it is nice not to feel inebriated too quickly. Funny thing, though, is of course that you might be (well, I would likely be tipsy after a while) because the alcohol percentage is the same (with the non-light versions). It just feels different. For want of a better term: these beers are lighter on the palate, less weighty in taste somehow than the typical German beer, I find.

As aside, of the typical German beers that have the same refreshing effect and also taste deceptively light IMVHO you would have to drink Wheat Beer (be that the yeast or the crystal variant), which especially in its low or no-alcohol versions is a wonderful summer drink, cyclists here love it.

I am so looking forward to the Open House! This is going to be instructive, I am sure. (Memo to myself: must try Sam Adams and interface wit rat_bastard to get more advise re beer :-D )

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Bell's: Two Hearted Ale is a great of an American style India Pale Ale 7% and magically delicious. Or is that Lucky Charms. The brewery is about 2 hours from Palladium's warehouse.

"The Devil's among us!
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Hendrik wrote:

Hi there,

To my shame I thought that the States have nothing but the likes of Coor's, Miller and Bud. I stand humbled. Certainly, and just in case anyone would think so, no offence was meant!

I was the same - before I first went to America I assumed all they had was the American beers that they sell over here in Europe. The first pub I went to i ordered a Sam Adams and I was gobsmacked. It was brilliant! And some of the microbreweries are even better. There are some really good beers on offer in the US; I can't believe that they don't sell them over here, and all we get is Budweiser* and Coors. You're in for a treat, Hendrik!

Re your other choice of beers: no, no, no, no, Tsingtao is not a good beer. I've been to Tsingtao/Qingdao a few times, and if you get a beer there then it's great, but if you buy a Tisngtao anywhere else in China or the rest of the world, it tasts like (and probably is) rat urine.

German beer is great.
English beer is great.
Many American beers are great.

Best beers in the world - Belgian. No contest.

*the wrong kind of Budweiser.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Soldier of Od wrote:
Hendrik wrote:

Hi there,

I was the same - before I first went to America I assumed all they had was the American beers that they sell over here in Europe. The first pub I went to i ordered a Sam Adams and I was gobsmacked. It was brilliant! And some of the microbreweries are even better. There are some really good beers on offer in the US; I can't believe that they don't sell them over here, and all we get is Budweiser* and Coors. You're in for a treat, Hendrik!

Re your other choice of beers: no, no, no, no, Tsingtao is not a good beer. I've been to Tsingtao/Qingdao a few times, and if you get a beer there then it's great, but if you buy a Tisngtao anywhere else in China or the rest of the world, it tasts like (and probably is) rat urine.

German beer is great.
English beer is great.

*the wrong kind of Budweiser.

Well I have a great deal of respect for any kind of brewer who takes allot of care to make a distinct product I cannot get past the sweetness in Belgian malts, I much prefer the bitterness to overpower the sweetness and Belgian beers all seem to have this trademark sweetness that does not mesh with my palette.

As for Sam Adams, they are a extremely good "gateway" beer that produces many many varieties of beer, that said everything they produce in my opinion is produced better by some other brewery.
Last edited by rat_bastard on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

Soldier of Od wrote:I was the same - before I first went to America I assumed all they had was the American beers that they sell over here in Europe. The first pub I went to i ordered a Sam Adams and I was gobsmacked. It was brilliant! And some of the microbreweries are even better. There are some really good beers on offer in the US; I can't believe that they don't sell them over here, and all we get is Budweiser* and Coors. You're in for a treat, Hendrik!

German beer is great.
English beer is great.

Of course, I disagree on the Belgian vote. Belgian beers are good, no doubt, but for me personally, they rank a well-deserved 3rd after German and English beers.

Regarding Tsintao, well, I had my first in Hong Kong. Admittedly, I was very thirsty and it tasted REALLY well. Also, in the midst of all the Asian strangeness (as in quark, strangeness and charm) I simply felt very far from home and my kind of civilization. I have (rather old) family history with Tsintao so that felt like a little taste from home, too. My guess would be that that might have made it taste better for me than might have been warranted. I don't really know.

Looking forward to be in for a treat :wink: :-D
one of which will be to have a hot dog and any one cold beer and watch the Tigers' game on Thursday in Comerica park
Hendrik

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

rat_bastard wrote:Well I have a great deal of respect for any kind of brewer who takes allot of care to make a distinct product I cannot get past the sweetness in Belgian malts, I much prefer the bitterness to overpower the sweetness and Belgian beers all seem to have this trademark sweetness that does not mess with my palette.

Spot on, rat_bastard!

I go to France once or twice a year - besides, they have a beer which is called 1604 which is very nice when really cold - and they have a high respect for the Belgian beers, too. Trying to treat me to something nice whenever I can, I tried Belgian beers several times but it, somehow, always fell short of my expectations. My feeling is that your usual Belgian beer is more like a sweetish pale lager (Dortmunder export or Export) than a pilsner (not the Pilsner beer, but a pilsner as brewed all over the Czech Repubnlic and Germany), which I prefer. Yet, I am vaguely aware that the Belgians have a HUGE variety of beers and beer types and I assume there are several that are more than just nice. I just did not have the great stuff ... yet.

So, Soldier of Od, I might - coming to think of it - not (yet) be truly qualified to judge Belgian beers. English and German beers I know quite well.

Cheers
Hendrik

Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

No way will we all agree on what beers are best - better play it safe and just drink all of them! :D
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
The Galactus Kid

Soldier of Od wrote:No way will we all agree on what beers are best - better play it safe and just drink all of them! :D

lol. Sounds like you're the man with the plan.

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

Soldier of Od wrote:No way will we all agree on what beers are best - better play it safe and just drink all of them! :D

Verily!

I may cite directly and with supreme confidence from Shakesbeer, when he has the Fool say to King Lager:

"I see that thou art in pain.
Prithee, nuncle, be contend. Rest thy fears.
If thou searchest for the greatest of beers
thy quest shalt never be in vain.
Thou shalt not conquer the matter by finding, nay,
but by searching until the end of rhyme and time.
Therein lyeth the one true way,
tipplin' to tipsy happiness and glee
do you not see?
Thine path is not paved with gold
but - Glory! - with all the beers of old!
"

The gist of this wise and time-tested sentiment has even been embeded in the constitution protecting our friends in the US: The pursuit of happiness.

The pursuit.

So, let's!

Cheers
Hendrik

Return to “Palladium Open House”