Coalition Sexist?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cchopps
Adventurer

Coalition Sexist?

Unread post by cchopps »

Page 67, top right corner of Triax II.

"He sympathized with the Coalition States, and saw their people as noble and strong, only misguided and brainwashed by their misogynist leadership." (Emphasis mine)

That is news to me, but I'm thinking it is an editing mistake. I found that last night and did a double-take.

I loved the interview with the General. Is there a section with more on Viktoria's history and motivations? I'm wondering the reason for her progressive D-Bee stance.

C. Chopps
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Re: Coalition Sexist?

Unread post by runebeo »

misogynist - a misanthrope who dislikes women in particular.
I never knew this about old Karl, but I know he feels. When he get finally rid of the all D-Bees we can start with the women. He must hated when his wife always talked during the Juicer Games.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

sybert1138 wrote:
cchopps wrote:Page 67, top right corner of Triax II.

"He sympathized with the Coalition States, and saw their people as noble and strong, only misguided and brainwashed by their misogynist leadership." (Emphasis mine)

That is news to me, but I'm thinking it is an editing mistake. I found that last night and did a double-take.

I loved the interview with the General. Is there a section with more on Viktoria's history and motivations? I'm wondering the reason for her progressive D-Bee stance.

C. Chopps

OMG! They've hated women all this time and not D-Bees and magic users. That's going to be a hard one to explain to the Tolkeen Survivors...
You can chalk that up to an editing mistake.

As for Viktoria, I have a lot of notes on her and the reasons for her stance. It may appear as a short story or something in the rifter at a later time.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

cchopps wrote:Page 67, top right corner of Triax II.
C. Chopps

Sounds like someone's opinion, not a fact about Prosek's character.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

Muahahahaha!! Let the Rumors Begin!!
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

I think General Loni Kashbrook would have something to say about that opinion.

I mean, I guess it could look like a sorta of boys' club in the upper echelons of the CSAF, but considering she's head of Lone Star (the whole state) Operations and Administrations...I'd consider that a vote against any sexism there.
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

duck-foot wrote:
runebeo wrote:misogynist - a misanthrope who dislikes women in particular.
I never knew this about old Karl, but I know he feels. When he get finally rid of the all D-Bees we can start with the women. He must hated when his wife always talked during the Juicer Games.

thats an annoying inconstistance... ive read in many books that he is married and in many that he is not married so which is it!!!!

He's always been married. It's just that up until Federation of Magic (IIRC) she was believed to have been killed by FoM terrorists when in actuallity she had been kidnapped.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

eh, i dunno about the gender roles thing in the dark ages.

really, when you're no longer worried about bears and wolves, and you instead have to worry about supernatural demons that can rip you in half using only one hand, the difference in upper body strength is really just not going to convince anyone that the men should do all the fighting.

truth be told, the most likely roles to come about in the dark ages imo are the "has access to some form of psionic or supernatural ability capable of actually damaging the otherwise invulnerable enemy, or doesn't have access to any abilities to harm said creatures." because as pathetic as mind bolt is, it's still a heck of a lot better than trying to stab that demon with a stone-headed spear, most of the time.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Young Freud wrote:During the Dark Ages period, there would likely be a reinforcement of traditional gender roles brought on by the collapse of technology and loss of large numbers of the population. Society would likely regress to men doing most of the work and women having very little duties outside of making babies and having almost no rights. Maybe not as bad as "The Handmaid's Tale" but still pretty rough. This would like be continent-wide, and not just isolated with the Coalition.

Eventually, with modernization and recovery, women would be able to rebuild themselves as equals. This would be especially true in places that managed to preserve the continunity of augmentation research. After all, there's no discernible difference in strength, endurance, and overall fitness between a female or male Juicer or Crazy. In fact, you might see women trying to escape from a subservient societal role by becoming an augmented soldier.

However, with Chaos Earth, we see NEMA, who would influence the development of the Coalition, having men and women on equal footing. Whose not to say that there's elements within the CS that view gender equality as a Golden Age concept that should return and that it's indicative of human civilization returning; and others who can't not look past the horrors of the Dark Age and constantly harp that increasing and sustaining human population is the primary goal to survival of the species, damn the idea equality of the sexes.

Agreed for the most part, there is a discernable difference in strength (in reality) between men and women, but by the time of Chaos Earth they might have been able to tweak that genetically. In some of the more far flung places on Rifts Earth there might still be societies that have women in subordinate roles.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

keir451 wrote:
Young Freud wrote:During the Dark Ages period, there would likely be a reinforcement of traditional gender roles brought on by the collapse of technology and loss of large numbers of the population. Society would likely regress to men doing most of the work and women having very little duties outside of making babies and having almost no rights. Maybe not as bad as "The Handmaid's Tale" but still pretty rough. This would like be continent-wide, and not just isolated with the Coalition.

Eventually, with modernization and recovery, women would be able to rebuild themselves as equals. This would be especially true in places that managed to preserve the continunity of augmentation research. After all, there's no discernible difference in strength, endurance, and overall fitness between a female or male Juicer or Crazy. In fact, you might see women trying to escape from a subservient societal role by becoming an augmented soldier.

However, with Chaos Earth, we see NEMA, who would influence the development of the Coalition, having men and women on equal footing. Whose not to say that there's elements within the CS that view gender equality as a Golden Age concept that should return and that it's indicative of human civilization returning; and others who can't not look past the horrors of the Dark Age and constantly harp that increasing and sustaining human population is the primary goal to survival of the species, damn the idea equality of the sexes.

Agreed for the most part, there is a discernable difference in strength (in reality) between men and women, but by the time of Chaos Earth they might have been able to tweak that genetically. In some of the more far flung places on Rifts Earth there might still be societies that have women in subordinate roles.

There are still some like that now and there always will be. It's just a matter of how far flung these places are.

However think of this. The game setting and everything in it is written in its extreme vast majority by men. Men think like men thus men will be predominate in the environment in which these men write. Is it sexist? No, it's just the way it happens. If it were written by women I think you;d see a lot more women in predominate roles but the game as such as it is is not written by many women if any at all thus you don;t see a lot of women in positions of power. There are some however and that is definitely a good thing. Kashbrook in Lone Star, The general in Chaos Earth, and there are several noteworthy females througout the books as well.

Is the CS itself sexist? No I just think it doesn;t occur to the writers in many instances that they could use a woman in the same position of a man sicne they are men and think like men.

Ok I'll stop waxing philosophic now :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

To make that exact point, at the POH there was only 2 women among a lot of men running the panels. Amy Ashbough, a freelance artist (she is probably more talented than most of the men there), and Kathy Simmons who waited on Kevin (and everyone else) the whole time. She organized the food and a good portion of the event. Kevin gets most of the credit for having the people there. She was credited too. Especially by him.
The one sided men atmosphere seemed prevalent there, but my wife still had a blast. I don't think it was intentional. There was a lot of boyish jokes/statements made by the freelancers and everyone there. No one stood up and said "What about the women?", or "This is sexist". People were relaxed, being themselves and there to have a good time. Everyone had fun. Just my 3 cents.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Unread post by johnkretzer »

Shark_Force wrote:eh, i dunno about the gender roles thing in the dark ages.

really, when you're no longer worried about bears and wolves, and you instead have to worry about supernatural demons that can rip you in half using only one hand, the difference in upper body strength is really just not going to convince anyone that the men should do all the fighting.

truth be told, the most likely roles to come about in the dark ages imo are the "has access to some form of psionic or supernatural ability capable of actually damaging the otherwise invulnerable enemy, or doesn't have access to any abilities to harm said creatures." because as pathetic as mind bolt is, it's still a heck of a lot better than trying to stab that demon with a stone-headed spear, most of the time.

The enforced gender role has nothing to do with fighting ability...it has to do with woman to much more valuable to risk loosing in a fight. Because to put it bluntly they make the babies.

Not saying that it would happen...but if it did it has nothing to do with strength or fighting ability.
Elthbert
Hero

Unread post by Elthbert »

Young Freud wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:eh, i dunno about the gender roles thing in the dark ages.

Upper body strength is emphasized greatly in military combat, as it is useful for carrying equipment, ammunition, and weapons. With energy weapons being rare during the Dark Ages, most people are likely using light-MD heavy weapons like rocket launchers, SAWs, and heavy machineguns, first looted from armories then likely reverse-engineered and reconstructed with whatever tools available (similar to what happened in Darra Adam Khel). Since you're firing 20-30 rounds of small arms fire to get a couple of points of megadamage, most of the weight is going to come down to ammunition. According to Army studies, the average gender difference between lifting capacity is about 40 pounds. With 7.62mm ammo weighing about 6 pounds per 100 rounds (belted), which one can get about 5 MD-capable burst out of, that difference is worth 30 bursts or 60 MDC on average.

The point about all of the above is average. While heroes, adventurers, and the like are the exception, they are the minority, as a great deal of NPCs would fall into this category. Because of that, I don't really see a need for statifying anything like this, but such conceptions would likely be represented in "game world" features. Having a P.S. 24 female mercenary PC blow into some BFE town might cause some funny looks from the locals, who aren't accustomed to women so aggressive or confident of themselves.

Also, with such a collapse of society as the Dark Ages is, community and family survival comes down to who has the most people, specifically who has the most largest and strongest people who conduct most of the fighting and labor. In communities where augmentation technology didn't survive, the only way you can increase and sustain that population is through baby-making. And since infant mortality likely skyrocketed to 1700s levels, there's going to be a need for a whole lot of baby-makers. Male-centric polygamy, raptio, and sexual slavery would all make returns to the North American continent.

However, I imagine that you might end up with some communities becoming reflecting Norse or Gaelic attitudes, with women being called up to fight in defensive battles, while the men wage offensive battles or conduct patrols or raids. This might be true of communities that descended from more cosmopolitian areas, as they would have likely carried on feminist or multicultural ideals.

Also, keir451 probably has a point in that the genetic engineering in the Golden Age may end up gender differences when it comes to fitness. Although, I'm not sure how common place genetic engineering was and if that, being killed off or mixed in non-engineered humans, if it would have faded away. It's likely that such genetically-engineered "pure" bloodlines would likely belong to the CS, having descended mostly from NEMA stock, which we know has genetically engineered members.

Shark_Force wrote:truth be told, the most likely roles to come about in the dark ages imo are the "has access to some form of psionic or supernatural ability capable of actually damaging the otherwise invulnerable enemy, or doesn't have access to any abilities to harm said creatures." because as pathetic as mind bolt is, it's still a heck of a lot better than trying to stab that demon with a stone-headed spear, most of the time.

True, but, psionics had some commonplace in the Golden Age, so most people, unless they were far off the beaten path, had some idea it existed. Magic, OTOH, would be viewed as it is in normal Rifts, with suspicion and rumors of corruption in most communities, with the few more-tolerant communities likely being saved by magic-users.

Agreed... also in referance to hand to hand combat, the old RMB stated that most supernatural creatures were vulnerable to some mundane material, now I realize that that has tended to fall by the wayside as Rifts has become a more MDC super hightech world as opposed to a Humans have just left the brink of extinction and are just now pushing out kind of game , but I assume that duringthe dark ages most of the supernatural predators would have been like they were discribed in the old RMB. THis would mean upperbody str sould have been a major asset when fighting them, if wood does mdc to you then a few points of str damage would go a long way agianst a creature with 50 or 60 mdc.

Also, whether or not mens upper body str is an advantage, the fact is one man can impregnate 20 women, but wome can only be pregnant once ever 10 months or so ( and that is super pushing it, for maximum survival of mother and child it is more like once every 2 years). So losing men in combat is acceptable, losing women is not.
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

It seemed to me that the Chaos Earth book implies that most people in "The Golden Age" were geneticaly tweaked in one way or another, the real qeustion to me would be "Was this tweaking inheritable? Or was it a 'one time deal' limited to the tweaked individual?"
If inheritable then (like the Sea Titans) it should be present in all people of Rifts Earth as those "Tweakers" (if they survived) would be the better choice as mates as they're proven survivors as well as having desirable traits.
cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

The Galactus Kid wrote:As for Viktoria, I have a lot of notes on her and the reasons for her stance. It may appear as a short story or something in the rifter at a later time.

That would be great! I'd really love to get more backstory.

C. Chopps
Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Supergyro »

Here's where the writers of Rifts could really make the CS quite unique.

For good or ill, as currently portrayed, the CS is no more or less sexist than the current USA. Women do exist in influential positions, but they are the vast minority, much like the USA. This makes sense since the writers are American men, they portray the CS as if it's the US with giant robots and jackboots (Follow the CS command structure from the top, you have to go down a ways before you come across someone who doesn't have a Y chromosome).

However, women are half of the human population, and a truly gender-neutral society would show that sort of demographic at all the levels of power and influence (the CS generals would be half women.... as would the folks in the burbs). And I like that idea for the CS, it makes it more morally ambiguous. A CS which is very demonstrably gender neutral, race neutral, but also happens to be genocidally expansionist (and a practitioner of slavery for non-humans) is something with a little more gray area to play with.

It may be too late to add this element to the CS, but I would like it if they did.
Elthbert
Hero

double post
Last edited by Elthbert on Wed May 12, 2010 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elthbert
Hero

Supergyro wrote:Here's where the writers of Rifts could really make the CS quite unique.

For good or ill, as currently portrayed, the CS is no more or less sexist than the current USA. Women do exist in influential positions, but they are the vast minority, much like the USA. This makes sense since the writers are American men, they portray the CS as if it's the US with giant robots and jackboots (Follow the CS command structure from the top, you have to go down a ways before you come across someone who doesn't have a Y chromosome).

However, women are half of the human population, and a truly gender-neutral society would show that sort of demographic at all the levels of power and influence (the CS generals would be half women.... as would the folks in the burbs). And I like that idea for the CS, it makes it more morally ambiguous. A CS which is very demonstrably gender neutral, race neutral, but also happens to be genocidally expansionist (and a practitioner of slavery for non-humans) is something with a little more gray area to play with.

It may be too late to add this element to the CS, but I would like it if they did.

WHy exactly would that be a more morally gray area, why would being gender nuetral be "good". Humans are still and endangered species, women should not be fighting at all, they should be having babies. In the Coalition abortion of a healthy human fetus should be a death penalty offense.
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Elthbert wrote:
Supergyro wrote:Here's where the writers of Rifts could really make the CS quite unique.

WHy exactly would that be a more morally gray area, why would being gender nuetral be "good". Humans are still and endangered species, women should not be fighting at all, they should be having babies. In the Coalition abortion of a healthy human fetus should be a death penalty offense.

The CS see themselves as Americans and the inheritors of the "American Way of Life" (Kevin's own description) so they may allow women into the military (as we do) but only a realtive few enlist and make it to the top ranks. With their access to the Tex Am complex infertitlity would be a moot point as they could fix whatever genetic problems come up. The only "slaves" the Chi-town CS has are the Dog Boys/Mutant Animals designed at Lone Star and those that work for the CS still get three hots, a cot and pay, while not equal to humans that's still far from slavery, more like second class citizens.
Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

Elthbert wrote:Why exactly would that be a more morally gray area, why would being gender nuetral be "good". Humans are still and endangered species, women should not be fighting at all, they should be having babies. In the Coalition abortion of a healthy human fetus should be a death penalty offense.

It's a morally gray area because traditional focus on fertility goes hand in hand with oppression of the female gender (Three words: "barefoot and pregnant"), and we're taught that that kind of thinking is a bit evil (I agree with those teachings).

But science fiction is a lot about exploring alternatives to those ideas. Battlestar Galactica did it well, there was a child focus, but both men and women were in the Vipers because humanity needed every defender and couldn't afford to have folks sitting out.

A fertility obsessed CS is not incompatible to one with gender equality in the power structure. Imagine a society which not only looks at childrearing as the woman's responsibility, but pressures both genders *equally*. Men should be fathering children, as the process of having children requires both a man and a woman. One could very easily see a whole slew of CS propaganda posters aimed at *both* genders to have children. (Imagine a skull poster with the sloagan "Be a man, Be a father!" alongside one saying "Mothers bring us the future!").

Similarly, the process of defending humanity can very easily fall to... 'anyone strong enough to hold a laser rifle.' It's frontier seige thinking... something totally in character with the situation the CS is in.

keir451 wrote:The CS see themselves as Americans and the inheritors of the "American Way of Life" (Kevin's own description) so they may allow women into the military (as we do) but only a realtive few enlist and make it to the top ranks. With their access to the Tex Am complex infertitlity would be a moot point as they could fix whatever genetic problems come up. The only "slaves" the Chi-town CS has are the Dog Boys/Mutant Animals designed at Lone Star and those that work for the CS still get three hots, a cot and pay, while not equal to humans that's still far from slavery, more like second class citizens.

As I said "As portrayed, the CS is no more or less sexist than the USA".

However there is one minor quibble here.

DBee's in the CS are second class citizens, they have fewer rights, but they are allowed to leave at will.

The mutant animals are created for labor/fighting, they have almost no rights, they are the subject of medical experimentation without consent, and if they refuse or try to leave the CS ,they are beaten, punished, or killed. This begins at birth and ends only at death. This is the definition of slavery.

A slave is not defined by the money or sleeping accomodations given, a slave is defined simply by two questions. 1. 'did I choose this job?' and 2. 'What happens if I say 'no' to doing the job?'. If the answer to #1 is 'no' and the answer to #2 is 'I am beaten or killed', then that person is a slave, independent of how nice their cot is or how many meals they are given.
"The key is your mind, control and master it. Doing that will not only master your body, but also enable you to shape the world around you to your every desire."

---Said by a Psyscape teacher to a class of Psi Warriors
---Said by a Mindwerks technician, before he drills the hole in your skull
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Supergyro wrote:
Elthbert wrote:Why exactly would that be a more morally gray area, why would being gender nuetral be "good". Humans are still and endangered species, women should not be fighting at all, they should be having babies. In the Coalition abortion of a healthy human fetus should be a death penalty offense.

It's a morally gray area because traditional focus on fertility goes hand in hand with oppression of the female gender (Three words: "barefoot and pregnant"), and we're taught that that kind of thinking is a bit evil (I agree with those teachings).

But science fiction is a lot about exploring alternatives to those ideas. Battlestar Galactica did it well, there was a child focus, but both men and women were in the Vipers because humanity needed every defender and couldn't afford to have folks sitting out.

A fertility obsessed CS is not incompatible to one with gender equality in the power structure. Imagine a society which not only looks at childrearing as the woman's responsibility, but pressures both genders *equally*. Men should be fathering children, as the process of having children requires both a man and a woman. One could very easily see a whole slew of CS propaganda posters aimed at *both* genders to have children. (Imagine a skull poster with the sloagan "Be a man, Be a father!" alongside one saying "Mothers bring us the future!").

Similarly, the process of defending humanity can very easily fall to... 'anyone strong enough to hold a laser rifle.' It's frontier seige thinking... something totally in character with the situation the CS is in.

keir451 wrote:The CS see themselves as Americans and the inheritors of the "American Way of Life" (Kevin's own description) so they may allow women into the military (as we do) but only a realtive few enlist and make it to the top ranks. With their access to the Tex Am complex infertitlity would be a moot point as they could fix whatever genetic problems come up. The only "slaves" the Chi-town CS has are the Dog Boys/Mutant Animals designed at Lone Star and those that work for the CS still get three hots, a cot and pay, while not equal to humans that's still far from slavery, more like second class citizens.

DBee's in the CS are second class citizens, they have fewer rights, but they are allowed to leave at will.

The mutant animals are created for labor/fighting, they have almost no rights, they are the subject of medical experimentation without consent, and if they refuse or try to leave the CS ,they are beaten, punished, or killed. This begins at birth and ends only at death. This is the definition of slavery.

A slave is not defined by the money or sleeping accomodations given, a slave is defined simply by two questions. 1. 'did I choose this job?' and 2. 'What happens if I say 'no' to doing the job?'. If the answer to #1 is 'no' and the answer to #2 is 'I am beaten or killed', then that person is a slave, independent of how nice their cot is or how many meals they are given.

While this bolded statement is generally true, many Dog Boys, while created/born for this role choose to stay and love the work they do. To these ones it's not slavery but serving their pack, to those who run away, Yes, it is slavery and I won't argue that.
D-bees are even lower on the totem pole than the Dog Boys since as far as the CS is concerned they have no rights at all. Where as the Dog Boys are part of the military and are allowed to hold at least some rank in the CS military and are accorded some level of rights as soldiers.
Elthbert
Hero

Supergyro wrote:

I strongly object to the concept that traditional concern about fertility is naturally oppressive to women. You use an example which is quite the opposite, using pregancy to oppress women, those are not necessarly the same thing at all. If you are saying that it is evil to belive in gender roles then I will heartily dsagree with you. Particularly if you are saying that in regards to role that cannot be changed, such as a women carrying the children.

I watched the new Battlestar Gallactica pretty religiously but I can't remember any discsssion of women fighting as opposed to having babies ( they did outlaw abortion though). Men and women were in the vipers because in their society the military was totally egalitarian with regards to men and women. Women were in the fighters when the Cylons attacked.

Fertility concerns are inherently unequal. While I agree that men would be propogandized to be fathers ( and responsable fathers at that) the fact remains that a single man can impregnated numerous women, but a women can only be pregnant with one man at a time. Further, while this focus on both genders being parents might be in the coalition, it woudl ot have ben so in the Dark Age, when Humans were literally on the brink of extinction.

As or the frontier concept of "everyone who can hold a gun fights " that would I think be true in an emergency, as was said above, the Celts had a similar view, but women, in a society truely concerned about increaseing population and either unable or unwilling to clone ( like the Coalition) humans would never send women into combat away fromt he home. Defending home and hearth and Children is one thing, but not being a soldier, pretty hard to keep your EBA suit all zipped up if you are suffering from morning sickness.
Elthbert
Hero

keir451 wrote:
Supergyro wrote:

While this bolded statement is generally true, many Dog Boys, while created/born for this role choose to stay and love the work they do. To these ones it's not slavery but serving their pack, to those who run away, Yes, it is slavery and I won't argue that.
D-bees are even lower on the totem pole than the Dog Boys since as far as the CS is concerned they have no rights at all. Where as the Dog Boys are part of the military and are allowed to hold at least some rank in the CS military and are accorded some level of rights as soldiers.

And in the Navy can be officers and even command human troops. If they are slaves, they are slaves of the Ancient world, not the modern kind.
Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

Elthbert wrote:I strongly object to the concept that traditional concern about fertility is naturally oppressive to women. You use an example which is quite the opposite, using pregancy to oppress women, those are not necessarly the same thing at all.

In theory they are not the same thing... in practice however, they have been the same thing. It requires a little science fiction thinking to separate the two concepts. There's a reason that the largest fertility interested organization in the world (The Vatican) is also arguably the most oppressive to women.

Elthbert wrote:I watched the new Battlestar Gallactica pretty religiously but I can't remember any discsssion of women fighting as opposed to having babies ( they did outlaw abortion though). Men and women were in the vipers because in their society the military was totally egalitarian with regards to men and women. Women were in the fighters when the Cylons attacked.

So... the colonists carried a gender-equal military situation through the emergency... yes, I agree. Have to give BSG credit for doing that. They simply showed it and nothing looked wrong. This was largely because the colonial military was primarily technological and fighting against opponnents who were so physically superior to the troops that gender didn't matter that much.

Similarly, there is an ongoing baby theme in BSG. Starting from the pilot and Rosyln's "We need to have babies" statement and going all the way through the series with all the half-cylon babies. Like the gender neutral military, it was understated, but it certainly was there. Consider the number of pregnancies seen over the course of the show.

Forgive me, I'm going to change the order of your next statements....

Elthbert wrote:further, while this focus on both genders being parents might be in the coalition, it woudl ot have ben so in the Dark Age, when Humans were literally on the brink of extinction.

As or the frontier concept of "everyone who can hold a gun fights " that would I think be true in an emergency,

So The Dark age would be a massive emergency that would engender an "Everyone who can hold a gun fights" mentality... which makes sense...

But Prosek plays upon fear, a fear that is focused on keeping the emergency footing on all the time. That emergency footing is what enables his facism. The same emergency thinking that leads to 'everyone who can hold a gun fights' also enhances Prosek's power base.

As was said earlier in BSG, a gender neutral military can 'carry forward', it doesn't seem at all odd that the CS would do the same, in particular when the carrying forward would allow the continuation of fear that enhances a facistic power base. Psychologically, Prosek wants to keep humanity in the dark age, with him as its only salvation. I could see Prosek wanting fertility... but not at the cost of lessening anything of the fear that keeps him in power.

Elthbert wrote: Defending home and hearth and Children is one thing, but not being a soldier, pretty hard to keep your EBA suit all zipped up if you are suffering from morning sickness.

There seems to be a thinking of a difference between 'military service' and 'defending home and hearth'.... To the CS, these two would be seen as the same thing.
"The key is your mind, control and master it. Doing that will not only master your body, but also enable you to shape the world around you to your every desire."

---Said by a Psyscape teacher to a class of Psi Warriors
---Said by a Mindwerks technician, before he drills the hole in your skull
Elthbert
Hero

Supergyro wrote:
Elthbert wrote:I strongly object to the concept that traditional concern about fertility is naturally oppressive to women. You use an example which is quite the opposite, using pregancy to oppress women, those are not necessarly the same thing at all.

In theory they are not the same thing... in practice however, they have been the same thing. It requires a little science fiction thinking to separate the two concepts. There's a reason that the largest fertility interested organization in the world (The Vatican) is also arguably the most oppressive to women.

Elthbert wrote:I watched the new Battlestar Gallactica pretty religiously but I can't remember any discsssion of women fighting as opposed to having babies ( they did outlaw abortion though). Men and women were in the vipers because in their society the military was totally egalitarian with regards to men and women. Women were in the fighters when the Cylons attacked.

So... the colonists carried a gender-equal military situation through the emergency... yes, I agree. Have to give BSG credit for doing that. They simply showed it and nothing looked wrong. This was largely because the colonial military was primarily technological and fighting against opponnents who were so physically superior to the troops that gender didn't matter that much.

Similarly, there is an ongoing baby theme in BSG. Starting from the pilot and Rosyln's "We need to have babies" statement and going all the way through the series with all the half-cylon babies. Like the gender neutral military, it was understated, but it certainly was there. Consider the number of pregnancies seen over the course of the show.

Forgive me, I'm going to change the order of your next statements....

Elthbert wrote:further, while this focus on both genders being parents might be in the coalition, it woudl ot have ben so in the Dark Age, when Humans were literally on the brink of extinction.

As or the frontier concept of "everyone who can hold a gun fights " that would I think be true in an emergency,

So The Dark age would be a massive emergency that would engender an "Everyone who can hold a gun fights" mentality... which makes sense...

But Prosek plays upon fear, a fear that is focused on keeping the emergency footing on all the time. That emergency footing is what enables his facism. The same emergency thinking that leads to 'everyone who can hold a gun fights' also enhances Prosek's power base.

As was said earlier in BSG, a gender neutral military can 'carry forward', it doesn't seem at all odd that the CS would do the same, in particular when the carrying forward would allow the continuation of fear that enhances a facistic power base. Psychologically, Prosek wants to keep humanity in the dark age, with him as its only salvation. I could see Prosek wanting fertility... but not at the cost of lessening anything of the fear that keeps him in power.

Elthbert wrote: Defending home and hearth and Children is one thing, but not being a soldier, pretty hard to keep your EBA suit all zipped up if you are suffering from morning sickness.

There seems to be a thinking of a difference between 'military service' and 'defending home and hearth'.... To the CS, these two would be seen as the same thing.

I don't have time for a reponse to this, but I didn't want you to think I wasn't responding.

Return to “Rifts®”