Soul Drinking

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Soul Drinking

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Question about Soul Drinking Weapons:

Does Soul Drinking work the same way as the Soul Catchers ability?

If someone is cut by a soul drinking rune weapon, do they just die, or are they in the weakened state like in the Soul Catcher description?
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Prysus
Champion

Re: Soul Drinking

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. By concept, only the soul is being removed without physical damage to the body (beyond the cut, but not necessarily enough to really kill). I'd figure it's probably closer to a slow decay or even a coma. However, in the case of the Soul Catcher, there is a chance to get the soul back. In the case of a Soul Drinker rune weapon (I don't think there are any other types soul drinking weapons other than rune, but I could be wrong), there is no chance for recovery. It's gone "forever!" That's at least by the rules as written.

Personally I'd either say that the person is dead if it can't be saved (just to save players the effort believing it's possible or somehow linking them to this dying character they can't save but don't want to leave either), or make it possible to somehow recover it. Though because it's a rune weapon, I probably wouldn't make it possible unless you can do something like destroy the rune weapon (which is quite the task) within a certain amount of time. That's at least my take on the matter. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Question about Soul Drinking Weapons:

If someone is cut by a soul drinking rune weapon, do they just die, or are they in the weakened state like in the Soul Catcher description?

They die automatically.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Die! Die! Dethklok! Dethklok! Dethklok! There is no saving from this death.
drunken post.
Last edited by Jorel on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
The Galactus Kid

So are there any saving throws versus the ability?
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

The Galactus Kid wrote:So are there any saving throws versus the ability?

Greetings and Salutations. There is one saving throw. If you pass, then you only take double (or triple) damage from the attack. If you want to know the exact saving throw, read the description in Palladium Fantasy Second Edition (page 252) or World Book 2: Atlantis (page 128). Though once it takes the soul there are no more saving throws. Hope that helps. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

The Galactus Kid

Prysus wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:So are there any saving throws versus the ability?

Greetings and Salutations. There is one saving throw. If you pass, then you only take double (or triple) damage from the attack. If you want to know the exact saving throw, read the description in Palladium Fantasy Second Edition (page 252) or World Book 2: Atlantis (page 128). Though once it takes the soul there are no more saving throws. Hope that helps. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Thanks Prysus. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

superbat_99 wrote:It takes a save vs. magic with a roll of 14 or better to save. Character takes double damage on a successful save or triple if an MDC creature.

Now I have a question it says that most sould drinkers can only absorb 1d6 souls per day. Does this mean this has absolutely no effect if that number has been reached?

Yes.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

Don't forget about the Cauldron of Destruction in Rifts England the Druids make. On certain times of the year in the proper place it can destroy the greatest of rune weapons even.

I think any thing captive soul like would be released once the rune weapon is destroyed.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Prysus wrote:[justify]Greetings and Salutations. By concept, only the soul is being removed without physical damage to the body (beyond the cut, but not necessarily enough to really kill).

YOu oblviousy haven't read any descriptionof soul drinking. IT dries up/destroys one's blood. One not only dies but can't be ressurected[in most cases soul drinikng seems to be actulay destroyignones' immortal soul, though IIRC this is never actually stated, there are cases were some weaposn tha can drink souls can give themto others instead of {apparantly}destroying them..].
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Sir_Spirit wrote:
Prysus wrote:Greetings and Salutations. By concept, only the soul is being removed without physical damage to the body (beyond the cut, but not necessarily enough to really kill).

YOu oblviousy haven't read any descriptionof soul drinking. IT dries up/destroys one's blood. One not only dies but can't be ressurected[in most cases soul drinikng seems to be actulay destroyignones' immortal soul, though IIRC this is never actually stated, there are cases were some weaposn tha can drink souls can give themto others instead of {apparantly}destroying them..].

Greetings and Salutations. Um ... uh ... I've read the descriptions on page 128 of Atlantis and on page 252 of the PF Main Book many times actually. I've also reread those sections again before responding. I still have no clue where you're getting your facts. If it is a house rule, that's fine but then it has nothing to do with the written description or the rules as written. If it is something in one of the other books in some particular case, I may not be aware of it so a book and page number would be appreciated. In the two references I listed above it only mentions a "victim's blood must be drawn by the weapon (cut, stabbed, impaled)" before the soul can devoured. But "cut" as one of the options is far different than destroying all the blood, and neither section mentions anything about immortals whatsoever. I'm not so arrogant to believe I can't be wrong, but if you're going to say I am, then can you please provide a source/support for your position? Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day to all. Farewell and safe journeys.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

GT wrote:Don't forget about the Cauldron of Destruction in Rifts England the Druids make. On certain times of the year in the proper place it can destroy the greatest of rune weapons even.

I think any thing captive soul like would be released once the rune weapon is destroyed.
I am pretty sure that the description in Rifts: Atlantis says that that soul is forever lost.

Unlike a Soul Catcher (Dimension Book 10: Hades), or those Demon Knights from one of the PFRPG Books with specialized Rune Weapons (Soulhunters from Land of the Damned One: Chaos Lands), whose descriptions say that they collect souls, not consume them.

@prysus:

Palladium has been continuously unclear as to what happens to the character's physical body, whether it vanishes when the soul is consumed or if a soulless (but not necessarily lifeless) husk is left behind. Why this has never yet been answered conclusively is anybody's guess, but I'll bet that those Husks sure could be useful ("Hey, Juicer!! Yeah you on Last Call!! I've got an awesome, empty body shell over here. Just two million credits for me to transfer your soul into it!").
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:Question about Soul Drinking Weapons:

They die automatically.

This is the simple and direct answer to the question so I will 2nd it.

Any speculation about caldrons of destruction are that, speculation.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Prysus wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:
Prysus wrote:Greetings and Salutations. By concept, only the soul is being removed without physical damage to the body (beyond the cut, but not necessarily enough to really kill).

Greetings and Salutations. Um ... uh ... I've read the descriptions on page 128 of Atlantis and on page 252 of the PF Main Book many times actually. I've also reread those sections again before responding. I still have no clue where you're getting your facts. If it is a house rule, that's fine but then it has nothing to do with the written description or the rules as written. If it is something in one of the other books in some particular case, I may not be aware of it so a book and page number would be appreciated. In the two references I listed above it only mentions a "victim's blood must be drawn by the weapon (cut, stabbed, impaled)" before the soul can devoured. But "cut" as one of the options is far different than destroying all the blood, and neither section mentions anything about immortals whatsoever. I'm not so arrogant to believe I can't be wrong, but if you're going to say I am, then can you please provide a source/support for your position? Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day to all. Farewell and safe journeys.

*sighs*
If you don't knwo why soul is considered immortal then find out. Oh and hte sky is looks blue and the sun will rise ot tommorrow.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Sir_Spirit wrote:
Prysus wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:

*sighs*
If you don't knwo why soul is considered immortal then find out. Oh and hte sky is looks blue and the sun will rise ot tommorrow.

Greetings and Salutations. Well, I'm actually far more curious where it says it dries up/destroys the blood. You said since I don't know that it means I couldn't have read it. I'd like a quote of the blood either being dried up or destroyed. I'll wait. You're going to insult me by saying I haven't read something because I didn't know something isn't written in the section, I'd like you to prove to me it says this common basic knowledge of blood drying up and/or being destroyed. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.

Edit: In the above my original post was actually editted to focus on the part about the physical attack/cut doing the killing (not the soul drinking). Due to the insulting nature of the posts I guess the proper thing would be for me to report it, but I'm not going to do that. I could really care less about an insulting/condescending tone. I'd much rather see the proof if it exists.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”