Disable Pyramids?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Disable Pyramids?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

short of an anti-magic cloud big enough to encompass the entire area?

lets see... you could do the "stargate" approach, opening a rift to the pyramid yourself to block others from coming in...
you could destroy enough of the pyramid in the opening attack to shut it down (IIRC, it's still just stone, and not indestructable)
you could sneak in and take out those with the ability to access the pyramid before launching the main attack...which would slow down the response rate...
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I bet having a few Mystic Knight use their ability to shut down Ley Lines could do the trick, no mystic energy the pyramids would lay dormant at least thats my opinion.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

ChaoticWeevil wrote:Would the entire structure have to be destroyed?

In addition to the mystic knight idea what about making some kind of force dome or field in the room the people get transported to, blocking it somehow?

Well most things in Palladium's games that have SDC or MDC work just fine until they're out of points. So presumably you're gonna have to whittle away all of the pyramid's MDC before you've done enough damage to mess up its sacred geometries or whatever the hell it is that makes it a magic pyramid and not just a big lump of rock.
Joseph Kerr
Explorer

Unread post by Joseph Kerr »

Well, you could just try shutting it down by taking away the Ley Lines that power it.

I believe you can manage this through a couple of Line Makers from South America. I think they have the ability to turn Ley Lines off or divert and redirect them away from the Pyramid.

I may be wrong but if I'm not that may be the best route to go.

:clown: - Joseph.
Help save the people who brightened my little brothers birthday, Palladium Books!!

Enigma - To the Sound of Rain.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

if you load the landing area with enough claymores, it won't be able to get any new troops in either :)

(but really, it seems like if you want to do something like that, it'd be a lot easier to just try to sneak in, and plant a bunch of powerful explosives. thousands of MDC shouldn't hold you for long, and IMO a demolitions roll should increase significantly the damage of a placed charge)
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Shark_Force wrote:if you load the landing area with enough claymores, it won't be able to get any new troops in either :)

(but really, it seems like if you want to do something like that, it'd be a lot easier to just try to sneak in, and plant a bunch of powerful explosives. thousands of MDC shouldn't hold you for long, and IMO a demolitions roll should increase significantly the damage of a placed charge)

It's an evil empire. If you've got the entry area covered, they've got suicide squads to spare. "Here's a pulse rifle, you can either go through there and earn a chance at freedom, or I'll sell you to that all you can eat place that buys slaves by the pound."
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Rallan wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:if you load the landing area with enough claymores, it won't be able to get any new troops in either :)

It's an evil empire. If you've got the entry area covered, they've got suicide squads to spare. "Here's a pulse rifle, you can either go through there and earn a chance at freedom, or I'll sell you to that all you can eat place that buys slaves by the pound."

that's nice. it just means you need to use more claymores :) (besides, each wave that you take out gains you a bit of time.)

really, you only need it to last long enough to deal 2d4x1000 (average 5,000) damage to the pyramid. that only looks like a lot until you realise the plan is to assault a splugorth outpost large enough to have a pyramid. if you don't have enough troops with you to do that relatively quickly (average 143 attacks assuming 1d6x10 damage, which is not unreasonable if you have a group with pulse laser rifles. now consider that each person has 4 attacks per round if they're combatants, and likely as many as 6-7 attacks at first level, and that some of these people can probably deal more than that amount of damage by using missile volleys, boom guns, annihilation spells, etc... it's quite possible to destroy a pyramid in a single melee round with even a relatively small group).

i mean, really, if you can't handle getting a group of at least 40 people together, you have no business doing a frontal assault on a splugorth outpost, you should be relying on stealth exclusively, which just gets even better. assuming a worst-case scenario (8,000 MDC pyramid), and a really low budget, for example...

a CS plasma grenade is the cheapest bang for the buck i am aware of in RUE. (~16.67 credits per average MD). that's around 135k credits for enough average damage to destroy the toughest small pyramid out there, or about 385 grenades (and over 2310d6, there will be a very strong tendency towards average damage, but if you're really paranoid 470,000 credits will buy you enough grenades that even their minimum damage will destroy the pyramid). sure, that's not exactly what your average vagabond is going to be able to afford... but again, we're talking about hitting a splugorth outpost. if your budget doesn't allow for that kind of of expense, you should probably consider tackling something a little bit smaller. by which i mean, something that doesn't have armies numbering into the billions.
jtjr26
Wanderer

Unread post by jtjr26 »

I always thought a pyramid while it allowed for the ley lines and nexuses to be regulated there had to be someone in control of the system, or setting the controls to allow transports.
Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

Why not find yourself a Stone Master and have him open a portal to some random dimension while attacking. Someone above mentioned the SG method of "locking out" the pyramid by...using it. Plus a Stone Master is gonna be a lot easier to find than some of the more exotic OCC mentioned, what with all the Atlanteans running around on NA.
Aerv
D-Bee

Unread post by Aerv »

The Shifter spell Bar Portal is a great way to block a rift that has already been opened. Also any true Atlantean can control a pyramid. When two people try to control a pyramid to open a rift or prevent a rift from opening a battle of wills decides where or if the rift opens.
In Communist Russia, role-playing game plays you!

Return to “Rifts®”