Outbreak?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Re: Outbreak?

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Anthar wrote:I agree with Rat Bastard, it's an oversight that should have been caught before publication. But it seem that things like that are happening more and more often as new authors write new material but don't do the research to see if there might be some contradictions in their material.

It wasn't an oversight. Thinyser had it right in his initial post. Also Naruni has enough credits to have plenty of Prometheans on hand for maintenance. And when you get tried of that old Phase Drive they'll be happy to replace it with a CG drive.

It's all how you do business gentlemen.
ImageImage
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Carl Gleba wrote:
Anthar wrote:I agree with Rat Bastard, it's an oversight that should have been caught before publication. But it seem that things like that are happening more and more often as new authors write new material but don't do the research to see if there might be some contradictions in their material.

It wasn't an oversight. Thinyser had it right in his initial post. Also Naruni has enough credits to have plenty of Prometheans on hand for maintenance. And when you get tried of that old Phase Drive they'll be happy to replace it with a CG drive.

Not the first time I've disagreed with a writer, probably not the last time.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Carl Gleba

rat_bastard wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:

Still it was constructive though and a very good point :ok: You have my respect, so I won't punch you in the face at the POH :P :clown: That was a joke for those who think I'm being serious.

To comprimise maybe there should have been an option to select the drive you want, for an extra cost of course. That is something I can see NE doing.

Carl
ImageImage
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

If I remember correctly this means that most any gunship or capitol ship Naruni sells is for all intents and purposes a stealth ship as they don't emanate the easy to detect gravity waves. It also means any smart buyer would have several drives in storage for when they need to change the oil so they can replace the drive and ship it back to center.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Carl Gleba wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:

Still it was constructive though and a very good point :ok: You have my respect, so I won't punch you in the face at the POH :P :clown: That was a joke for those who think I'm being serious.

To comprimise maybe there should have been an option to select the drive you want, for an extra cost of course. That is something I can see NE doing.

Carl

So are you joking about the whole punching him in the face thing? Or are you joking that you won't, and will in fact deliver a haiduken direct to the cheek at POH?

If the later I demand to see the Youtube video :D

I think in regards to the phase drive, the ship wouldn't be detectable at vast distances while FTL, but once the ship returns to normal space it remains nice and detectable. Of course that means you don't have several hours warning about the incoming ship, you have seconds at most before it pops out, possibly on top of you (luck), possibly a few hours sub-light out.
-Matt
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I'd tend to agree with Ratty regarding the drives, but I can also see NI offering NI only drydocks for their ships with promethians working for them to fix said engines as a way to make sure you keep coming back to them. Sure you COULD go all the way to Center and then back to your regular location, or just go 'down the block' to your local NI dealer who will fix it for you with their professional crew specially trained to handle Naruni technology and their phase drives. (Even if their phase drives are the same as every other phase drive.)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

Carl Gleba wrote:

It goes against Naruni's MO in all books up to this point as all of Naruni's tech is owned by the company and ferverently pursued if someone tries to do otherwise (see Mkri? Hardware). To suddenly go to a third party for technology that they cannot replicate and are completely subject to the whim of the Prometheans on future access to said technology just doesn't make sense based on Naruni's history. It doesn't even make sense from a business perspective.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Daniel Stoker wrote:I'd tend to agree with Ratty regarding the drives, but I can also see NI offering NI only drydocks for their ships with promethians working for them to fix said engines as a way to make sure you keep coming back to them. Sure you COULD go all the way to Center and then back to your regular location, or just go 'down the block' to your local NI dealer who will fix it for you with their professional crew specially trained to handle Naruni technology and their phase drives. (Even if their phase drives are the same as every other phase drive.)

Daniel Stoker

Anthar wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:

It goes against Naruni's MO in all books up to this point as all of Naruni's tech is owned by the company and ferverently pursued if someone tries to do otherwise (see Mkri? Hardware). To suddenly go to a third party for technology that they cannot replicate and are completely subject to the whim of the Prometheans on future access to said technology just doesn't make sense based on Naruni's history. It doesn't even make sense from a business perspective.

Well, I am a very very sexy rodent :mrgreen:

If you don't like something in a book, change it. Personally I think it makes sense for Naruni to have a proprietary type of FTL that makes them unique that only they know how to build or maintenance. But hey, Carl wrote what he wrote, and all we can do is point out how much smarter rats are than overworked palladium writers.
Carl Gleba

ImageImage
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

Okay. I'm absolutely loving this book so far. I'm going to have to get a new book because I have been drooling over it so much. My one question is, Where are the Promethean Battleships? You mention them several times in the description of Center, but they aren't statted. :-(
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
azazel1024
Champion

There are a lot of ships in a lot of PW books that aren't stated out. A couple were ommissions from Fleets, but for the most part they are either probably never going to be stated out, or else we'll have to wait for a future DB to see them. Might be a DB dealing specifically with the Promtheans and phase tech/magic. Stuff that we haven't seen yet, stuff the universe has never seen, stuff that only the prometheans use and stuff that just hit the market and/or the prometheans are thinking of trickling out to the market. That could be pretty cool. Alternately it might never be stated out, or else it might be something we see in bits and pieces in other DBs.
-Matt
Carl Gleba

I'd love to do a book on the Prometheans, their ships and their tech. To answer devillin's question the Prometheans ships were not included (I actually didn't write about them) due to space limitations. I'm long winded as is... :D

This is a good idea for another book, assuming Braden didn't already fill this niche?

Carl
ImageImage
azazel1024
Champion

Carl Gleba wrote:I'd love to do a book on the Prometheans, their ships and their tech. To answer devillin's question the Prometheans ships were not included (I actually didn't write about them) due to space limitations. I'm long winded as is... :D

This is a good idea for another book, assuming Braden didn't already fill this niche?

Carl

You may repay me for this wonderful idea by getting the book written and Kevin to publish it.

K Thanks Bye. :-D
-Matt
Carl Gleba

Will do :ok:
ImageImage
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

Carl Gleba wrote:Will do :ok:

HEY!!! I want a signed copy.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Chello!

Just wanted to say that I've wanted this book ever since I played in Carl's game at VIP night, OH '07. I even pre-ordered it that same year! Glad that it has finally seen light of day and I'm also pleased to see some of the same things I remember from the game. :)
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Carl Gleba wrote:
Scorpion Leader wrote:Besides the usual typos this book is awe.....some!! Carls best work yet i think! one thing i noticed is the Naruni Concistador Cruiser is missing sheilds?

:badbad: How did i miss that!! :thwak:

I can't even blame the editors. I'll start compiling this stuff and do an "unofficial Errata" and post it later. I'll hand it over to Kevin and company for their consideration on a future printing.

For the Conquistador's shields give it 5,000 per side 30,000 total.

Thanks Scorpion Leader :ok:

Carl

That is one of the great things about Palladium - you buy a book with a typo or missed stat and instead of nothing/never getting that missing part you get the actual author on the forums going "Nvm it should be this!" so we have our answer! Sweet.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

Do the docked frigates on the cruiser also add their shields strength to the cruiser's also?

Or can they snap on one at a time per frigate docked when needed if the main ship's shield's fail?

And do they have one pizza oven only on the main ship or does each ship docked have a pizza oven?
Carl Gleba

GT wrote:Do the docked frigates on the cruiser also add their shields strength to the cruiser's also?

Or can they snap on one at a time per frigate docked when needed if the main ship's shield's fail?

And do they have one pizza oven only on the main ship or does each ship docked have a pizza oven?

No the frigate don't augment the cruisers shields, just the fire power.

Pizza ovens cost extra by Naruni so you can have as many as you pay for :D
ImageImage
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

How about bringing their shields on lone when the Cruisers are dead? Still weaker shield better than none. :lol:
Carl Gleba

GT wrote:How about bringing their shields on lone when the Cruisers are dead? Still weaker shield better than none. :lol:

As a GM I would allow it with some fancy skill roles on the player's parts. If they can explain their plan in a technical manner and it makes sense, yeah sure.
ImageImage
azazel1024
Champion

If you could come up with a really fancy reason why and some hefty penalty rolls, why not.

From a (in my mind) conceptual stand point, even with variable force fields which seem to be able to project to each of the 6 sides of a ship in 3 dimensional space, each ship isn't going to be able to cover the much larger ship. I've never gotten that impression that force fields/shields were projected hundreds of meters from the skin of the ship, I got the impression they project a matter of meters from the skin (2-20). So coverage probably can't be extended out around the ship and especially not projected behind/in front of the ship.

Now I can see extending the variable force field on the one side that is vulnerable when docked (other sides are basically recessed in the conquistador and not vulnerable to fire). I'd rule you can only do this is the conquistador's shields are down, otherwise it interfers. But as soon as they are down all of the VFF front the docked warships can be extended providing protection to the them, but not the conquistador (kind of like hidding in a hole with your kite shield over your head).
-Matt
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I just got a copy. Great work! Nuff said.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”