Lizard Mage wonderful villains.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cinos
Hero

Re: Lizard Mage wonderful villains.

Unread post by Cinos »

I love my Lizard Mages, and they take several prominate villian roles, and some larger roles in the world at large (well, the past at large) with how I interpret and change the lore.

They are insanely powerful, so directly fighting them is rough, and master manipulates so even knowing they're on the scene is tough. One of my Players also made one who became an NPC is many of my games (strangely more or less of a good guy, had a weird affinity for humans, hates when one dies, if you happen to be an elf / wolfen / dwarf / etc, you're outta luck and are a tool at best :P). Keep in mind; Lizard Mages and Lizard men have no real relation with each other, so in both cases it's just "minion of choice", A lizard mage backing a random orc tribe can funnel magic weapons, cursed magics and buffs into the tribe, teach one or two some spells, bring in trolls, or a demon to aid them at his bidding.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Until LOTD2 book I thought that the ruler of the Citadel may have been a Lizard mage.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

They are great.

Although Scarecrows are my personal favorite.
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
everloss
Explorer

Unread post by everloss »

The Dark Elf wrote:Until LOTD2 book I thought that the ruler of the Citadel may have been a Lizard mage.

it doesn't say that a Lizard Mage isn't involved.

I ran a campaign a few years ago where the players accidentally awakened a Lizard Mage who had been sleeping for centuries. None of the players were familiar with Lizard Mages, so it was easy to convince them that he was a Lizard Man wizard from the past, who was once associated with a well-known group of heroes who all died long ago. He manipulated the players into obtaining the various pieces of Castlerake for him with the intention of using it to try to shatter the Northern Mountains and open up the Land of the Damned.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

everloss wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:Until LOTD2 book I thought that the ruler of the Citadel may have been a Lizard mage.

it doesn't say that a Lizard Mage isn't involved.

Very true. I thought that the LM description "bigged them up" to be something that may have been elaborated on in a future book and then there was no mention of them in the future books so I thought, Wow! maybe it's gonna be the citadel.

Indeed a LM could be one of the chaos lords all maybe theyre all Lizard Mages!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

sleekjag wrote:I was looking at the Lizard mage and they make wonderful villains.

Looking over my copy of Monsters & Animals, I was often struck that a conflict between a Lizard Mage and Mummy Immortus would be really hard on the PCs.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

thorr-kan wrote:
sleekjag wrote:I was looking at the Lizard mage and they make wonderful villains.

Looking over my copy of Monsters & Animals, I was often struck that a conflict between a Lizard Mage and Mummy Immortus would be really hard on the PCs.

Mummy Immortalis who works for a lizard mage.... MWAHAHAHA
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Goliath Strongarm wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:

Lizard Mage that has become a mummy immortalis.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

AzathothXy wrote:
Goliath Strongarm wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:

That's just WRONG

Besides, due to the prevention of further ability growth, I have a hard time picturing any LM from undergoing the ritual unless it's a last ditch attempt to stay alive. They love the magical ability growth waay too much.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Goliath Strongarm wrote:
AzathothXy wrote:
Goliath Strongarm wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:

That's just WRONG

Besides, due to the prevention of further ability growth, I have a hard time picturing any LM from undergoing the ritual unless it's a last ditch attempt to stay alive. They love the magical ability growth waay too much.

That's how I picture it. At the end of their lifespan they are too evil and ambitious to just die. So barring some other method, Mummy Immortalis it is.
Or a Lizard Mage Necromacer with the 'return from the grave' spell set up.
Last edited by AzathothXy on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

the worst (best?) villain I have thrown at my PCs is a LM. whenever the PCs stumble across anything that even hints he may be involved they start hunting for the biggest magic items they can.
It dosent hurt that not only does he know diabolism, but necromancy and fleshsculpting as well.
(what the PCs dont know is he also possess a tome with detailed instructions on the ritual "someone makes them"). The LM is brutal, vicious, devious, calculating, driven, and vindictive.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
tuvermage
Wanderer

Unread post by tuvermage »

the best villain I ever used was a Lizardmage, who knew rune magic. he was so good at manipulating that even after the group saw him destroy a millennia tree and trap 5 people's souls into crystals which then put into a small bag, which even non psychics could feel the suffering, was able to convince the group that he was really an upstanding guy and not evil at all. not only that but then not only got the group to do what he wanted them to do, but got them to pay through the nose to do so. This is even funnier when you understand in my games supernatural creatures can not hide their alignments and will have something with the color showing their alignment, so the Lizardmage with Black stripes and other Black marking meant that the thing was Diabolic, which given the group knew I showed supernatural alignment through color made it really funny. they became so attached to this LM that was using them like toys that they even brought him back to life at great expensive.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”