Godling power question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Godling power question

Unread post by Pox »

hello all,

I've gotten into the habit lately of having my GF (who doesn't play Palladium or any other RPG) pick out a OCC/RCC/PCC and I go and make a character for it...just for fun.

Well...this last time she gave me the godling and told me to make it a female.

I then asked her to pick the parent...we thumbed through the book and landed on Loki.

interesting...

so I went about catching up on Loki and his abilities to see what his daughter should have for powers.

At first, I was going to go with choosing option 6 twice to make her a master shape-shifter but couldn't figure out the last choice.

but I wanted to make her the goddess of games or some such and was going to pick either the conjurer (always an ace up her sleeve with enough PPE) or the Trickster Mage from Rifter 9 1/2 as the last option.

But now I'm thinking of dumping the shapeshifting bit and go with both magic classes as allowed in the last line of option 10.

Still have to pick that third option though and I can't really think of anything appropriate. Then I thought that making up an option of a skill percentage bonus for handful of skills (think MOS) or a few (maybe 1d4) less super-abilities from HU like Extraordinary MA, Alter Physical Body (sort of like dad), Heightened Hearing or sense of Touch, and/or Super Vision: X-ray.

Thoughts?

or I can field any questions that could pop up in case I left any holes in the above.
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Re: Godling power question

Unread post by Anthar »

Godling with the abilities of a Shifter, Summoner and Mystic Knight. The first two represent the manipulative nature of the Godling and the third allows the Godling to channel extra power at leylines and be a general master of manipulating magic energy.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

TheGrayRaven wrote:1. I don't have HU, so I can't comment much on swapping out powers in that fashion.

2. Who would happen to be the other parent? Typically a god and a mortal parent would result in a demigod (Pantheons of the Megaverse), so I am assuming the other parent is much more than a mere mortal to result in a godling instead.

If the other parent is a giant such as a fire or stone (earth?), a thought would be to choose warlock (fire) or warlock (earth) as one of the three abilities. Or perhaps the #9 choice, super psionics: burster for a fire giant parent.

The other parent could be an Asgardian Dwarf (p. 166 of Pantheons, considered a demigod), then with the choice of 10 (ley line walker or shifter would be best, IMO) there would be a very good reason to choose as a 2nd power the ability to work rune magic, since you are apparently considering house ruling the three powers to an extent. Looking throughthe various gods in Dragons and Gods (specifically Epim and Thoth) will give some examples of powers available to Runecasters. Basically with respect to making rune magic, you could make up about anything that you want to do.

3. A shear power gaming option is the mystic from option 10. One of the balancing characteristics of the mystic as a pc is the limit on the number of spells known and another is that its P.P.E. is not as high as the other spellcasters such as the ley line walker. Knowledge of all spells equal to or less than your level from option 10 greatly reduces one limitation and having the same (very good) P.P.E. progression regardless of choice eliminates the other. Both magic (w/hefty P.P.E.) and super-psionic access (with decent I.S.P.) with only one of the three powers used.

4. Note: Psionics can also go a long way to being a trickster or at least being similar to one...So, don't overlook 9.

5. If swapping out powers is an option, perhaps your godling could gain access to temporal magic. That would work well with games and trickery, IMO. Perhaps make her a daughter of one of the Norns

Just a few thoughts.

Thanks for the reference to the Norns, I was actually thinking of doing something of the sort cross-pantheon (gotta stir that pot sometimes) with either one of the fates of the Greeks or one of the love goddesses that focus more on being manipulative instead of romance (teach them who is the real manipulator of the Megaverse)
Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it.
-Groucho Marx

Unread post by Gazirra »

Hey, if you're gonna use Earth or Fire Warlock, why not use a dual-element Warlock? :D
Abilities and spells of both elements for only one power selection. Throw in Burster and Mind Melter or something
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

paxmiles wrote:
Anthar wrote:Godling with the abilities of a Shifter, Summoner and Mystic Knight. The first two represent the manipulative nature of the Godling and the third allows the Godling to channel extra power at leylines and be a general master of manipulating magic energy.

Both the summoner and mystic knight are not options for the godling (unless there's an updated versions of this RCC?).
-Pax

C.J. Carella said that they were options in previously discussed posts on these boards. Though I believe that the actual thread was lost in the great purge. In it I had asked the question that considering that the book was printed before many other titles and addressed one specific setting if variants on the magic choices could be used. (ie Grey Seer, Old Believer or Mystic Knight instead of Mystic and Summoner instead of Shifter or Russian Fire Sorcerer or Ley Line Rifter instead of Ley Line Walker.)
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

I think that the options for which magic user OCC or psychic RCC should not be limited to the ones just listed in the book since Pantheons came out in 1995...a little bit of stuff has come out since then.

Of course, do it within reason and with your GM's permission.

I personally wouldn't allow something like the Battle/Lord/High Mage from FoM since most of their abilities come from time-spent training (the Battle Mage's physicality and quick-draw abilities for example) as opposed to just having given abilities that come with a class.

Also, while I do appreciate all the responses thus far, I'm trying to set up a character into a theme, not just powergame with it.

That being said, I do have a question about how I would handle using Temporal magic as an option. The abilities (as written) come over a period of time under the apprenticeship of a Temporal Raider or other Temporal Wizard, but the way the spells are given for the godling is that you get all the spells for whatever level you currently are and the lowest spell level in Temporal magic is Level 7 or something.

How would I handle that?

also, let me throw this by you all why I have your eyes...a realization came to me yesterday. I am being WAY too limited with how Loki would woo a mate for this child to be born. Loki has been known to take on the guise of a female for his own ends (hell...he was the mother of Sleipnir in the form of a Mare if I'm reading it right).

So...an idea came to me. Loki has heard tales of the female deceivers of Rifts China...the Mara Asura. Intrigued by the idea, he took the form of a woman to be captured and impregnated by a Mo-Lo demon. Normally this would most likely mean the death of the mother when the Mara Asura was born, but Loki is a god for gawd's sake. He survives and decides to cultivate this new strain of Mara Asura for his own ends and fun.

Thoughts?

P.S.: I had thought of just making another child between him and his wife, Sigyn, but her only abilities it seems is the ability to hold a bowl over his head for long periods of time. Then there was also, Sif (Thor's wife) or Skaoi (a wife of Odin) who which Loki had relations with also.

Return to “Rifts®”