What are your most underrated skills?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

donJulio
D-Bee

What are your most underrated skills?

Unread post by donJulio »

Mine in this order are probably:
Cooking
Literacy
Horsemanship

I even thought about putting Literacy first. I mean, good luck using that magic scroll if you can't even read :lol: But I guess one has to eat first. I know this personally b/c in our campaign, I am an Elven Mind Mage who blew half her skills on HtH Martial Arts, so now she can't even read :lol: Ok, so that wasn't too intelligent, but now I really value literacy of any language, preferably Dragonnese/Elven, to read use those magic scrolls we come across.
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Re: What are your most underrated skills?

Unread post by t0m »

combinations of skills have proven to be key in my games:

botany
brewing
identify plants/fruits
holistic medicine

these four are essential for non-magical healing (things like infected wounds, rashes, insect bites, hang-overs, colds, that a lot of players dont think about).

cook
track/trap animals and/or fishing
preserve food

are essential for any prolonged trip outside of town. also handy for players who always forget to buy food :lol: my players would usually spend day one of a wilderness trip camping, and hunt/fish/collect herbs to create a stock of food/medicine for the trip.
DiceCollector
Wanderer

Unread post by DiceCollector »

I like this post.... I would pick History!
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was NO match fo me at kick boxing" -Emo Philips
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

My most underrated skill is the ability to pleasure several women at the same time.

Oh, I think I've misunderstood the forum... :bandit:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

I think its dance and sing. Some of my players must have earned at least a full levels worth of xp by just dancing alone - 25xp for using a skill, successful or not. Needs no equipment and can be done as often as you like.

Others:

Sense of direction
Climb (overlooked too often in our games)
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Well, Cooking and Literacy are actually fairly common in my games (because they are so useful). With that said, I think the most basic skill I've seen hurt the player characters in the games I've been in is Swimming. It's a rather simple, easy skill (okay, I can't swim in real life, but that's beside the point), everyone has access to it (not everyone has access to Cooking believe it or not, some have NO domestic skill options), but is often missed. I've seen two (not just one, but TWO) player characters almost done in by not having that skill.

The first was as a player. We were in a cave that got flooded. I was the only character who had swimming (maybe a NPC too, and I only had it because I was paranoid of something just like this). I think an NPC saved one of the other characters and mine had to save the other. It could have been ugly (though I don't think the GM was trying to kill us, so he'd have probably done something to help us out). The second time was when I was the G.M. Long story short, one of the player characters got impatient and decided to try and cross a very wide river using his horse. Well, at one point he had to make a horsemanship check, which he failed. His horse made it across, but he didn't. Luckily, the other player character present managed to act fast enough to save him before he could drown. He survived, though he lost half of all his equipment (I still remember him throwing a single glove into the river hoping someone out there would find the matching set). Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

DiceCollector wrote:I like this post.... I would pick History!

I must agree. History is often overlooked, and can be quite useful depending on the GM/campaign.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Litercy
Speak Languages
Basic Math (5 gold, here you go, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Cant count without it.
Cook
Fishing
Sing
Dance
Play Musical Instruments
Sewing (great to fix your cloths after fights)
History
Lore (any)

CAVEMAN the Movie. The scene where they sat around playing music was awesome. Dudadada...Duda
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, if you don't have first aid, you can't stop bleeding.

-Vek
"Stopping bleeding is important."
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

Play musical instrument.

When I used to run games a few years back, I loved to throw in pop culture references and situations in my games. One of my classics was when my players were traveling at night and a powerful demon appeared before them. And he said "Play for me, the greatest song in the world, or I'll eat your souls!"

Only one player had the skill to play a musical instrument, which just happened to be a pan flute. He busted it out and after making 3 skill rolls, none of which went over 30%, he played good enough to please the demon who let them pass unmolested.
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Suicycho wrote:Play musical instrument.

When I used to run games a few years back, I loved to throw in pop culture references and situations in my games. One of my classics was when my players were traveling at night and a powerful demon appeared before them. And he said "Play for me, the greatest song in the world, or I'll eat your souls!"

Only one player had the skill to play a musical instrument, which just happened to be a pan flute. He busted it out and after making 3 skill rolls, none of which went over 30%, he played good enough to please the demon who let them pass unmolested.

Was that a tribute?
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

For my group it would be:

horsemanship (for obvious reasons.)
cook (at least 1 member always knows how to.)
basic math (to keep track of gold etc. Oh, I made a player mad one day)
sailing (to avoid having to share loot with NPC's. YES, THEY ARE THAT GREEDY!)
navigation [both land and astro] (To be able to get to places and read a map.)
identify plants and fruits (very useful for a lot of reasons)
holistic medicine (the ability to make salves and other things comes in very handy!)
heraldry (Good skill to have, but can be picked up while in game too.)
swimming (obvious)
climb/repell (obvious)
literacy (very obvious)
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Silveressa
Explorer

Unread post by Silveressa »

I would have to go with charm/seduction. The ability to seduce individuals (even/especially if only as a distraction) can work wonders when it comes to finding out key piece of info, or getting close enough to someone to palm a key/map/dagger off of.

It can also help with making temporary allies in helpful positions, from town guards to apprentice wizards. (those who think you find them attractive/sexually appealing are more likely to do you a favor or two)

Math is also a good one, but in the games I've played in (and gmed) the gm has always ruled basic math is a common skill for any adventurer class and is usually learned while acquiring/practicing other skills such as cooking, carpentry, and/or just buying selling stuff on a regular basis. (even farmers and trappers buy & sell stuff on a regular enough basis to know the basics of simple adding/subtracting, multiplying and dividing.) Granted long division and geometry would be beyond most people, but then again most people would never have a need/use for such skills in their regular lives. (Also as a player once pointed out, it's a pain in the butt to rp a char that can't do simple math and irritates the rest of the group to no end.)

There's also the argument it's such a common thing someone shouldn't have to blow a skill choice on it when they don't have to spend skill choice son other common level skills like tying their shoelaces/basic knots. (yes there's rope works, but that's for sailor/girl scout style knot tying, something most common people never learn/use)

In other games I've done, those coming from a "civilized/scholarly" background sometimes get reading/writing (their native/local area language) as a free skill since it made a logical fit for their chars background/upbringing and freed up one of their skill choices for something a bit more interesting/beneficial to the group. (Cartography, archeology, and anthropology are a few skills I've seen people choose when I told them to pick another skill instead of reading/writing that was non-combative)
"Lesbian Gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

Rope Works. If you can't tie the right knot to climb out or secure your gear then you're SOL.
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

rope works
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Swimming.
My players never seem to realize just how valuable it is until they get to that first river with no bridge in sight. And I am still amazed at how many of my players don't take it.
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

The Dark Elf wrote:I think its dance and sing. Some of my players must have earned at least a full levels worth of xp by just dancing alone - 25xp for using a skill, successful or not. Needs no equipment and can be done as often as you like.

Others:

Sense of direction
Climb (overlooked too often in our games)

sounds like back flipping to level 3... :wink:
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

Masonry.
I once built a bridge for a NPC employer (mercenary looking for work). GM was so surprised that I had the masonry skill, he accused me of adding it to make the game easy. I'd emailed him my character sheet 2 weeks before and told him to check. He was like...Oh. Wow...nobody ever selects masonry. Okay. Make your roll. Between me and the other sub-contractors I hired, it ended up working out well.
Rope Works is another good one. We house rule that granny knots and bow knots (tying your shoes) are the only knots you know without ropeworks.
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
JuliusCreed
Hero
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.

Weapon Proficiency Blunt. Most Players take everry WP except this one and I only ask why. The staggering answer is, because blunt weapons are pretty weak. My response is simple; Picture your character, lost and alone, wandering about in the forest, unarmed and afraid as a terrible creature stalks you, waiting to rip you limb from limb. If only you had a weapon to defend yourself with. Oh wait... WP Blunt! You pick up a sturdy looking stick from the ground and swing it defiantly at your tormentor! Most people tend to rethink their choices after that
JuliusCreed
Hero
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.

Overkill wrote:
JuliusCreed wrote:Weapon Proficiency Blunt. Most Players take everry WP except this one and I only ask why. The staggering answer is, because blunt weapons are pretty weak. My response is simple; Picture your character, lost and alone, wandering about in the forest, unarmed and afraid as a terrible creature stalks you, waiting to rip you limb from limb. If only you had a weapon to defend yourself with. Oh wait... WP Blunt! You pick up a sturdy looking stick from the ground and swing it defiantly at your tormentor! Most people tend to rethink their choices after that

I think the main reason it's ignored is because the enemy can 'roll' with it and reduce damage by half. Though your points are valid.

Half damage is better than no damage i always say :)
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

I'd have to say any of the Lore skills. Why?

GM: Ok, so you've been set a task by the local community to find out what those dead-ish things are that keep attacking and kidnapping people.
PC: It's obvious that it has to be zombies or vampires.
GM: Do you have undead lore?
PC: Um, no.
GM: Well, then you don't know that, do you?
PC: Well, I'll do some investigating at the scenes and see if I can figure it out.
GM: Again, do you have undead lore?
PC: Again, no.
GM: Then do all the research you want, but you won't be able to piece it together if they're undead because you don't know a whole lot about them other than they are supposed to be dead.

OR

GM: You are in the faerie king's lair.
PC: I'll amaze them all with a faerie song. I have singing.
GM: Do you have Faerie Lore?
PC: Um, no.
GM: Then explain to me how you know what a faerie song would be?
PC: Um...never mind.

See, the lore skills are vastly under-rated and almost never taken unless they are part of your OCC.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

All my fantasy characters have also had Lore skills.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
tuvermage
Wanderer

Unread post by tuvermage »

Lores! my brother and I always take as many as we can. I've had groups with no lore get into trouble because they didn't have any lores.

Play Musical instrument and/or singing- I always recommend this one. forget the xp, but think of you arrive in a town and have no money, if you can sing or play you find the tavern and throw down a contain and start filling the air with music.

Brewing- moral booster

wilderness survival- it's very important to know this if you leave the path.

identify plants - most people forget to stock up on rations, chewing on random plants may not be the smartest thing to do

masonry and carpentry- building structures can be very very useful.

Swimming- maybe it's because I'm been swimming since I was 3 months old, but it's very funny when people are stopped by water.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”