Power Unlimited4

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Power Unlimited4

Unread post by gaby »

What do you like to see in Power Unlimited4?

For me,I like the Megapower from Rifter 37,maybe more rules to customized powers for your hero and villains.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: Power Unlimited4

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

With all the powers from the Black Vault, they could make powers Unlimited 4-20, at least. I'd be willing to help with anything they asked me to, as long as I'd get paid. $$$ :P
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Overkill wrote:I know what I DON'T want to see. Any more APS powers.
But there are so many possibilities!!!
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

BARQ wrote:ALOT more powers for use, they should consult with stone gargoyle, ikzar. I use theirs from black vault for some spice and mix.If i forgot some one , sorry.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

What then need to do, instead of coming up with more powers, is to create a more generalized power of each type so that you can simply put the special effect in and say, "There, I can do that". For example, your APS. Rather than list every possible APS you make APS one power and add a special effect like Sand, water, or silver...
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LeeNapier »

Iczer wrote:
BARQ wrote:ALOT more powers for use, they should consult with stone gargoyle, ikzar. I use theirs from black vault for some spice and mix.If i forgot some one , sorry.

Batts

What's wrong, Ikzar?

:wink:
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

I'd like to see PB take some of the powers in the rifters that haven't made it into one of the PU books (Animate Drawing, for example) and put those in PU4.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Severus Snape wrote:I'd like to see PB take some of the powers in the rifters that haven't made it into one of the PU books (Animate Drawing, for example) and put those in PU4.

I am up for that. That and expansion on other classes within the game as they have done with a few already.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Overkill wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

I know, and Palladium seems stuck on making them all. There are other things for heroes to have out there for powers besides their body transforming into another material. Statisticly speaking, comic book heroes and villains that change (on a molecular level) into another 'substance' is kinda uncommon. Not Rare, but not every day. You have come up with plenty of other ideas besides APS.

Yes, I have come up with quite a bit, but the only reason i have not done more APS powers is because figuring out how to stat them out is more difficult the more exotic a material you get for them to change into. There have not really been that many APS powers to date, so I don't know what the fuss is over.
GeraldClamar
D-Bee

Unread post by GeraldClamar »

I love the versatility in the system now, but maybe some more power types would not hurt. For example, Isaac from the Defenders was using a demonic gargoyle's body (and it was a true demon body; I remember one story that a third rate magician stumbled onto the body's true name and was able to make Isaac do things HE didn't know he could do). I would like to see the aftermath of the war between the Hordes of Evil as well.
rbm10101
Wanderer

Unread post by rbm10101 »

perhaps something like this
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=121767

would love for a chance to assist co-author on this. Also alot of people use the HU powers in a MDC environment. Perhaps it is time to add in stats for mdc environments for the powers in PU1, PU2, PU3 that did not get a specific listing.
Gaby can you PM me if you are considering authoring a PU4.
GeraldClamar
D-Bee

Unread post by GeraldClamar »

rbm10101 wrote:perhaps something like this
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=121767

would love for a chance to assist co-author on this. Also alot of people use the HU powers in a MDC environment. Perhaps it is time to add in stats for mdc environments for the powers in PU1, PU2, PU3 that did not get a specific listing.
Gaby can you PM me if you are considering authoring a PU4.

A conversion section would be a good idea. Just keep it in the main book itself.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

jaymz wrote:
Severus Snape wrote:I'd like to see PB take some of the powers in the rifters that haven't made it into one of the PU books (Animate Drawing, for example) and put those in PU4.

I am up for that. That and expansion on other classes within the game as they have done with a few already.

Animate Drawing was always one of my favorites. I had this character called "Yankee Doodle" with that power, who had a host of imaginary allies he drew on cards and pulled them out as needed.
PapaMambo
Dungeon Crawler
Location: Winter-peg.. or Winnipeg for those not in the know..

Unread post by PapaMambo »

Power Stunts! Now that's an option I would like to see. I think we're all pretty well versed in using our different characters powers as listed, but I would love to see some sort of guidelines for using existing powers in unique ways. Expansions on some of the various classes (as well as new classes) would be nice as well.

Expand upon the mystic (a class I NEVER use), the Psychic etc. Expand on all of the Physical Training/Special Training type characters - they're so desperately underclassed with HU2's plethora of megas that few people I know actually even consider using them.

Robotics, Robotics, Robotics!!! I want more robotics - and YOU DO TOO!!!!!!! Rules outlining how to build a robotics lab/workshop, as well as new and interesting robotic features, weapons, upgrades etc, not to mention ways to increase your robotic budget. "Bare Bones" systems. A better robotic build system that isn't quite so tedious.. Let's face it - building a robotic character can take hours while you nickel and dime yourself to death deciding what you want, what you need, and what you need to get rid of in order to come in under budget etc..
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'" - Anonymous
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Overkill wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Overkill wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

I know, and Palladium seems stuck on making them all. There are other things for heroes to have out there for powers besides their body transforming into another material. Statisticly speaking, comic book heroes and villains that change (on a molecular level) into another 'substance' is kinda uncommon. Not Rare, but not every day. You have come up with plenty of other ideas besides APS.

Yes, I have come up with quite a bit, but the only reason i have not done more APS powers is because figuring out how to stat them out is more difficult the more exotic a material you get for them to change into. There have not really been that many APS powers to date, so I don't know what the fuss is over.

Not that many? There are 8 in the main book alone, then another 11 in PU1, AND 19! in PU3. Thta doesn't include Alter Physical Structure Limb. Thats a total of 38. Thats a pretty big chunk of the 'Major' powers selection.

Nah, not really. But that is just my opinion.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Powers from the New powers Topic. (specificly the ones I made up. )
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Overkill wrote:Not that many? There are 8 in the main book alone, then another 11 in PU1, AND 19! in PU3. Thta doesn't include Alter Physical Structure Limb. Thats a total of 38. Thats a pretty big chunk of the 'Major' powers selection.
Are you including Monstrous Form and Techno-Form? In my opinion, even though they don't say APS in the name, you are technically altering your physical structure.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Robotics, Robotics, Robotics!!! I want more robotics - and YOU DO TOO!!!!!!! Rules outlining how to build a robotics lab/workshop, as well as new and interesting robotic features, weapons, upgrades etc, not to mention ways to increase your robotic budget. "Bare Bones" systems. A better robotic build system that isn't quite so tedious.. Let's face it - building a robotic character can take hours while you nickel and dime yourself to death deciding what you want, what you need, and what you need to get rid of in order to come in under budget etc..

I most definitely want this....
The Dragon Has Spoken
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Snake Eyes wrote:

I most definitely want this....
I have stated repeatedly in numerous threads that they need a book combining tech for bionics and robotics. What they have in the main book and AUGG is okay, but it fails to be truly Unlimited. :P
AlanGunhouse
Champion

That is the case for the whole system.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

AlanGunhouse wrote:What then need to do, instead of coming up with more powers, is to create a more generalized power of each type so that you can simply put the special effect in and say, "There, I can do that". For example, your APS. Rather than list every possible APS you make APS one power and add a special effect like Sand, water, or silver...

Seconded. I too woudl like to see something along these lines. There is imo too much repetition in terms of powers. The energy blast powers also suffer from the same problem. I am also in the camp that is tired of the APS powers. AT this point imo some of the powers are being redudant and starting to resemble one another too much.

I would rather see more expansions on Robotics and the Special Training power categories. Beyond the Ancinet Master I always found the rest of the ST classes underpowered. To be honest I would rather see HU rebuilt from the ground up. It does a decent job with low powered games yest for the most part I find other superhero rpg such as M&M and Champions do a better job of capturing the feel of the genre.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Sureshot wrote:
AlanGunhouse wrote:What then need to do, instead of coming up with more powers, is to create a more generalized power of each type so that you can simply put the special effect in and say, "There, I can do that". For example, your APS. Rather than list every possible APS you make APS one power and add a special effect like Sand, water, or silver...

Seconded. I too woudl like to see something along these lines. There is imo too much repetition in terms of powers. The energy blast powers also suffer from the same problem. I am also in the camp that is tired of the APS powers. AT this point imo some of the powers are being redudant and starting to resemble one another too much.

I would rather see more expansions on Robotics and the Special Training power categories. Beyond the Ancinet Master I always found the rest of the ST classes underpowered. To be honest I would rather see HU rebuilt from the ground up. It does a decent job with low powered games yest for the most part I find other superhero rpg such as M&M and Champions do a better job of capturing the feel of the genre.

Agreed, 100%. I even started a thread about a matter earlier,
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

and then you would need to list the special effect of each of those. list sand, water, silver, metal, fire, etc...
then depending on how you define "APS power" [growth, monstrous form, shapechange], etc...
Personally I think it is fine as it is, but that is just me.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Severus Snape
Hero

Crestar, what you've basically done is taken kittenstomp's random table of doom to determine the type, and then taken the APS powers and made them more complicated by making someone choose a random number of abilities for that APS power.

On top of this, not all APS powers are created equally. In your example above, I could end up getting Gel or Goo, and then taking (if I am correct about the way your sub-powers table is going to go) up to 8 abilities, which could include things that don't necessarily make sense for being Gel or Goo. Flight, EE powers, high natural AR, extremely high SDC, Superhuman PS, etc. Conversely, I could end up getting APS Stone and end up with 3 abilities which make no sense as a stone being (flight, EE, intangibility, etc.)

While I commend you for trying to make this set of powers better, I disagree with what you've done. The way you've got it makes no sense. Better to leave the APS powers the way they are.

To all who don't like the number of APS powers available: handwavium and house rules work like a charm. Limit the number and/or types available in the games you run. Simple, and it works.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

You would need to divide by general types to do it right: Solids, Particulate Solids, Liquids, Gasses, Energy...and work from there.
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

duck-foot wrote:

c'mon APS: hair
who wouldnt want that

Or APS: Cream o' Wheat!
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

the fearsome APS: Mental energy...
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

APS: Laughing Gas!

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

While we are at it, how about APS: Astroglide :P
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

duck-foot wrote:so i have a question is powers ulimited 2 worth the buy

It has good points, but really I find many of the classes in it to be over powered when compared to the classes in HU2. Now that is not as bad in the case of the Imbued, Super Invention, Empowered, Ancient Weapon Master, and Natural Genius as it is on say the Immortal, the Gestalt Hero, the Supersoldier, or the Symbiotic Hero, but really it depends on what you want in your game.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I love it myself, I'll agree it's got some classes that are more powerful, but they work well with different games.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

159 new Achilles Heels :-)
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

AlanGunhouse wrote:the fearsome APS: Mental energy...

Rifter #1 has APS;Astral.

who wouldnt want that

Adam's Family haters?
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Sir_Spirit wrote:
AlanGunhouse wrote:the fearsome APS: Mental energy...

Rifter #1 has APS;Astral.

who wouldnt want that

Adam's Family haters?

Not quite what I meant, I am assuming APS Mental Energy would have a variety of mental powers like APS: Ice has power over ice and snow.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Along the lines from Armageddon Unlimited, I've already been working on a class that allows someone to physically transform/swap bodies with an actual race in the books. In Century Station, one of the ideas in the book is for a kid to possibly attack his bullies with an Enchanted Object that gives him APS: Stone. I've tweaked it in my current game, allowing the kid to transform into an adult Obsedai from D-Bees of North America. I think the Body Swapping class has potential, not just to have certain stats that mirror a race, but BECOME that race temporarily.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Kind of Like Animal Metamorphosis, but Alien Metamorphosis instead...but probably you would need to see a member of the race first to become one...and likely you would only get racial abilities not any extra abiities a specific character might have.
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

PapaMambo wrote:Robotics, Robotics, Robotics!!! I want more robotics - and YOU DO TOO!!!!!!! Rules outlining how to build a robotics lab/workshop, as well as new and interesting robotic features, weapons, upgrades etc, not to mention ways to increase your robotic budget. "Bare Bones" systems. A better robotic build system that isn't quite so tedious.. Let's face it - building a robotic character can take hours while you nickel and dime yourself to death deciding what you want, what you need, and what you need to get rid of in order to come in under budget etc..

I think both the Robotics and the Bionics systems need an overhaul, perhaps some kind of a point-buy system instead of the budget-based system they use now. Maybe there coud be a point-buy system during caracter generation, and then a separate spare parts point pool for maintenance. Likewise, as the character gains experience, maybe there could be some sort of a point pool accumulating as she/he progresses in level so the robot/bionics could be upgraded when needed.

The other aspect would obviously be the streamlining and rebulding of the parts lists. Instead of a robot/bionic char needing a separate system for each and everything he does(like specific eyes for special vision modes) why not insted use one basic module with equipment slots for options in them(say an eye could have a few slots, in which you could install an infrafed module, a laser module etc. and the user could switch between these modes with a simple mental command), this way the character could have more options, instead of having to constantly tinker and change his loadouts to fit the bill. Likewise a bionic arm would have a few slots for weaponry and other equipment, instead of having to build the arm around the said weapon or equipment, you'd just install it in the slot and be done with it.

Also, I wouldn't mind a bit of updating done to the parts themselves, as some of the descriptions seem a bit on the obsolete side considering today's tech level. For example, an infrared sensor in the eye would fit into a smaller space if one would do away with the integral infrared spotlight(that also acts as a giveaway for other infrared equipped systems, sort of "Ahah! There's mr Bionic standing behind the door, I can see the infrared beam from his eye with my infrared goggles."), infrared vision systems have advanced so much that they can function without that sort of equipment(can you say ambient infrared emissions), so if you don't need it why have it. If you need more infrared light, you could always ask your tech to make you an infrared flashlight so you could use it when you need it.

I wouldn't mind a few style options as well, specifically for bionics. Sure, these can be done with fluff text, but as an old Cyberpunk 2020 hack, I wouldn't mind being able to choose my cosmetic options at character creation. If I want to go for a cheesy 80's robotic look that the book depicts, I could go with it, or if I wanted a sleek, unbroken organic look to hide the character's true nature, I could do that instead. These seem to be handled in fluff text, but the effects of these aren't considered to be noteworthy. The basic robotic look would certainly alienate you from normal people, but could offer a greater range of options, while keeping the costs down, while the organic look wouldn't scare people off, but options and costs would be at a premium, because the hardware has to be built to fit your specifications.
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”