Strongest mage?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Balabanto
Champion

Re: Strongest mage?

Unread post by Balabanto »

Darkorinth wrote:
Astral Pantheon wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:perhaps it has something to do with that fact that dragons are usually quite attached to their skulls (literally and figuratively) and do not usually wish to part with them, no matter how politely you ask.

Get a few Dragon Juicer allies and let Dragon Hunting Season begin :demon:

Yeah, the whole Dragon Juicers as enemies of all dragon kind never really made sense to me. They need what? A couple of liters every 6 months? A human could donate that fairly safely. With the much larger body mass an adult dragon could probably supply several juicers with no real problems. I just don't see the need for killing the dragon instead of paying him/her.

Well, the problem here is social rather than physical.

"You want to do WHAT? Are you nuts? This is offensive to the very nature of my being! DIE!"

And there IS a Dragon that actually DOES have an army of Dragon Juicers. Don't ask me why he did this, but he did. I just don't remember which book he's in.
Astral Pantheon
Adventurer

Unread post by Astral Pantheon »

Darkorinth wrote:
Balabanto wrote:
Darkorinth wrote:
Astral Pantheon wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:perhaps it has something to do with that fact that dragons are usually quite attached to their skulls (literally and figuratively) and do not usually wish to part with them, no matter how politely you ask.

Get a few Dragon Juicer allies and let Dragon Hunting Season begin :demon:

Yeah, the whole Dragon Juicers as enemies of all dragon kind never really made sense to me. They need what? A couple of liters every 6 months? A human could donate that fairly safely. With the much larger body mass an adult dragon could probably supply several juicers with no real problems. I just don't see the need for killing the dragon instead of paying him/her.

Well, the problem here is social rather than physical.

"You want to do WHAT? Are you nuts? This is offensive to the very nature of my being! DIE!"

And there IS a Dragon that actually DOES have an army of Dragon Juicers. Don't ask me why he did this, but he did. I just don't remember which book he's in.

Considering that the original process was created with the help of a dragon....

Don't forget a Dragon has to die in Order for a Dragon Juicer to be Created (thats what upsets most dragons).
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Astral Pantheon wrote:Don't forget a Dragon has to die in Order for a Dragon Juicer to be Created (thats what upsets most dragons).

I may have missed this, but all a DJ needs is dragons blood, not the actual death of a dragon. I don't actually recall seeing "a dragon has to die"
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

dark brandon wrote:
Astral Pantheon wrote:Don't forget a Dragon has to die in Order for a Dragon Juicer to be Created (thats what upsets most dragons).

I may have missed this, but all a DJ needs is dragons blood, not the actual death of a dragon. I don't actually recall seeing "a dragon has to die"

Agreed.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Astral Pantheon
Adventurer

Darkorinth wrote:Actually the book is pretty clear, a Dragon does NOT have to die. You just require 1 gallon of dragon blood.

Actually, its in Rifts Aftermath page 108 - Talks about Lord Dunscon has volunteers ready and wants Stormspire to augment at cost. It reads:

"As for Dragon Juicers, there is only a comparative handful of candidates for that process, but to make Dragon Juicer, a dragon must die!"

It goes on to say, "...Lord Dunscon's henchmen have advised Master K'zaa not to worry...they will provided him with the dragons to be sacrificed..."

Now, it doesn't say if adult or a hatchling but a dragon Must die :demon:
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

As much as I hate to say it...

...Techno-Wizards have an edge over most magic users in rifts.

...Tattoo Men/Maxi-men. Magic Tattooes are awesome and simple.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Astral Pantheon wrote:Actually, its in Rifts Aftermath page 108 - Talks about Lord Dunscon has volunteers ready and wants Stormspire to augment at cost. It reads:

"As for Dragon Juicers, there is only a comparative handful of candidates for that process, but to make Dragon Juicer, a dragon must die!"

It goes on to say, "...Lord Dunscon's henchmen have advised Master K'zaa not to worry...they will provided him with the dragons to be sacrificed..."

Maybe it's just the way they do it (maybe there are not a lot of dragons that are willing to give blood) and taking and holding a dragon would be too hard so it's just easier to just kill them).

As far as I know, according to JU, they just need the blood not the death.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

not to mention with their bio-regeneration that blood (apart from being a relatively trivial amount for a creature that size) will quickly come back anyways. honestly, i could see one dragon being quite capable to supply dozens of dragon juicers pretty easily...
Astral Pantheon
Adventurer

dark brandon wrote:
Astral Pantheon wrote:Actually, its in Rifts Aftermath page 108 - Talks about Lord Dunscon has volunteers ready and wants Stormspire to augment at cost. It reads:

Maybe it's just the way they do it (maybe there are not a lot of dragons that are willing to give blood) and taking and holding a dragon would be too hard so it's just easier to just kill them).

As far as I know, according to JU, they just need the blood not the death.

I was just listing where I got the information and what it said. In cannon doesn't say maybe its easier to kill just a dragon Must die to make a Dragon Juicer. If you need more information then that, you will have to write or ask Kevin directly.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to topic: Necromancer is my pick unless we can have outside power then I choose a Witch (Union) :demon:
Shark_Force
Palladin

i would consider juicer uprising a more reliable source of information about dragon juicers than aftermath. unless there is something to specifically state that it is errata, i would operate under the theory that the author misunderstood the actual requirements for dragon juicers (understandable, given the juicer uprising book mentions dragon juicers having to hunt down dragons in at least one place iirc)
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

I've always played it as a dragon has to die because most dragons won't give there blood to make some augmentaion for a puny human, ever!
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

Darkorinth wrote:
Shadow Wyrm wrote:I've always played it as a dragon has to die because most dragons won't give there blood to make some augmentaion for a puny human, ever!

There is a difference between a dragon needing to die as part of the process and a dragon needing to die because they are stingy b@stards.

Yes, and in the discription of the Dragon Juicer in WB:JU it says that most dragons just won't give up their blood. In fact there was a dragon who helped to create the DJ process, she did not have to die. So, the book really answers the question, dragons only need to die because they just won't give their blood willinglly.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

The Shifter linked to a God of Magic is hands down the strongest straight up mage. Sure a techno-wizard can do some pretty cool things with his gadgets but he is never going to have the PPE or Spell Strength of a Shifter. Unless a mage is one of the races that grant +1 spell strength and the Shifter isn't, nothing will ever have as much as a Shifter.
Unless you get the Rifter involved.
The expanded Mega-Hero options of Rifter 37 make a Mega-Hero Mage an absolute powerhouse. More PPE than any caster out there and recovers 10 PPE per minute during rest or 2 per minute during activity. Also they get a spell strength of +7 which even shames the mighty Shifter.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Honestly? None of them. Sure they all havetheir relative strengths and weaknesses, but the Magic system in Rifts is so broken that we don't even have any good mage classes. Never did. :roll:
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Nether
Adventurer

Unread post by Nether »

LLW is kind of weak in comparison to other mages but they can make great use of leylines/nexus.

Most mages can learn just about any spell a LLW can, even the FoM mages that "suggests" they will never desire to learn more than x. That would be a roleplaying stipulation and by no means a actual limitation on them learning all spells a LLW could.

TW is prolly the WEAKEST mage out there. There greatest strength of making stuff can be used by all other casters. Then the TW has limitations they do not.
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Rolling Bear wrote:Keir,

I think Rifts mage system is far better than many other systems. I hated D&D, I had to pre-learn the spells I wanted to use and if I used them all I was screwed. Sure Rifts system isn't perfect but even if you want a video game style magic system there are cast times and can be interrupeted.

I vastly prefer D&D magic over Rifts, it's balanced and fair IMO. But given an actual choice I'd run a Warlock, elemental spells are good against just about every creature/monster on Rifts. Water Warlocks are especially good Vampire killers. And I do so LOVE killing Vampires. :twisted:
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

I prefer PF Wizards...
access to the same powers as a LLW and gets the magic cauldron spell.
a free 2d6 spells every casting (assuming you dont mind the occasional insanity)
whats not to like?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

keir451 wrote:

I think Rifts mage system is far better than many other systems. I hated D&D, I had to pre-learn the spells I wanted to use and if I used them all I was screwed. Sure Rifts system isn't perfect but even if you want a video game style magic system there are cast times and can be interrupeted.

I vastly prefer D&D magic over Rifts, it's balanced and fair IMO. But given an actual choice I'd run a Warlock, elemental spells are good against just about every creature/monster on Rifts. Water Warlocks are especially good Vampire killers. And I do so LOVE killing Vampires. :twisted:

D&D's magic system is only balanced around level 7-12, higher than that and Wizards start to become too powerful compared to other characters and at lower levels they tend to be wussies. Unless you are talking 4.0, I disliked that edition so much I never bought even one book.
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Dark Schnieder is the strongest mage there is!! :lol: His "MEGADEATH" spell kills all!! :twisted:
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

keir451 wrote:

Scry and Die; Save or die; save, suck, and then die... thats balanced?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Galroth wrote:
keir451 wrote:

D&D's magic system is only balanced around level 7-12, higher than that and Wizards start to become too powerful compared to other characters and at lower levels they tend to be wussies. Unless you are talking 4.0, I disliked that edition so much I never bought even one book.

That's bettr than Rifts mages ALWAYS being wussies. Evn at the higher levels a Rifts mage is no match for even the lowliest demon. A D& D mage gets to be so totally badass that peopel genrally don't mess with him/her and he can potentially destroy armies with the right spells. Rifts mages could defeat your mother in Rifts.
@Damian Magecraft; At least with D&D magic I HAVE save vs it and the hifgher level spells were actually worth something, y'know unlike Rifts spells.
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

keir451 wrote:
Galroth wrote:
keir451 wrote:

That's bettr than Rifts mages ALWAYS being wussies. Evn at the higher levels a Rifts mage is no match for even the lowliest demon. A D& D mage gets to be so totally badass that peopel genrally don't mess with him/her and he can potentially destroy armies with the right spells. Rifts mages could defeat your mother in Rifts.
@Damian Magecraft; At least with D&D magic I HAVE save vs it and the hifgher level spells were actually worth something, y'know unlike Rifts spells.

Wait, so Rifts mages are weak, unless they find a spell combination that lets them beat a tech character then they are munchkins. Same with Psionics. I don't understand your reasoning. Rifts mages can be potent if the GM does 2 things.

1: They need exp. Growing in levels faster than Palladium generally is set up for helps things enormously.
2: They need opportunities to learn new spells outside of leveling.

Doing those two things moves magic characters into the same realms of power as tech characters if they are played well. If they try to stand toe to toe, high noon style, they will probably lose more than they win. If they make use of spells like Invisibility, Carpet of Adhesion (aka Carpet of IWin) and other spells creatively they will move their win/loss up quite a bit. Still, on a Ley Line the single most effective spell against a tech character is Ley Line Phantom. I'm going to make sure every magic character I make from now on has that spell. ;)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Galroth wrote:Wait, so Rifts mages are weak, unless they find a spell combination that lets them beat a tech character then they are munchkins. Same with Psionics. I don't understand your reasoning. Rifts mages can be potent if the GM does 2 things.

1: They need exp. Growing in levels faster than Palladium generally is set up for helps things enormously.
2: They need opportunities to learn new spells outside of leveling.

Doing those two things moves magic characters into the same realms of power as tech characters if they are played well. If they try to stand toe to toe, high noon style, they will probably lose more than they win. If they make use of spells like Invisibility, Carpet of Adhesion (aka Carpet of IWin) and other spells creatively they will move their win/loss up quite a bit. Still, on a Ley Line the single most effective spell against a tech character is Ley Line Phantom. I'm going to make sure every magic character I make from now on has that spell. ;)

the key to understanding everything keir says about magic is that he nerfs everything that isn't a damage-dealing spell (or a defensive spell, so far as i know).

so you have to understand, when he says magic sucks in rifts, what that means to the rest of us is that magic sucks at nuking in rifts (which is for the most part true, with the exceptions generally being not terribly more impressive than what technology can provide if they are more impressive at all).

so, from his perspective, he's right... the spells he hasn't nerfed into the ground (and which he generally doesn't admit or clarify that he has done so unless you do some digging) do indeed suck. this is because he nerfs all the useful spells into the ground. now, this might lead you to question why he doesn't just power up those nuking spells to compensate. to be honest, i don't know. maybe he does. i kinda doubt it though.

but basically, if it's a useful spell in rifts, assume that keir has nerfed it until it sucks and wouldn't be worth casting unless it was made to cost 0 PPE and 0 actions. and possibly not even then.

as such, having discussions about what the *actual* magic rules say is generally not going to be a productive use of your time, because in keir's games, spells don't work the way they do in the actual rules, and so far as i can tell he goes into every rules debate about magic assuming that everyone else plays the game exactly like him.

Return to “Rifts®”