Artristic Direction of Splicers RPG

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Artristic Direction of Splicers RPG

Unread post by Lord Z »

Something has been bothering me for a while now. I am not picking on any artist in particular (or I would name that person), and I am not even picking on the artists as a group. I do, however, have a problem with the art direction in this game. I will try to explain...

The first time I picked up Splicers RPG, I read parts of the book and was impressed with several small ideas, but the overall game experience did not grab me. The information presented in the main book seemed overwhelming, and I had no idea where to start when it came to running a game for this setting. I suspect that a few other GMs might have had the same first (or only) impression.

Artwork can go a long way towards helping this situation. In the case of Splicers, however, it just is not used in this way. The majority of the artwork in the book is excellent quality stuff, greatly detailing what equipment looks like -- but that is all it attempts to do. There are lots of illustrations of equipment, but none of them show the equipment being used. Almost none of the illustrations show anything about the environment. The one battle scene portrayed in illustration does show several types of robots and several different pieces of bio-equipment, but they are being used in a standard looking firefight with ruined buildings in the background; not really inspiring stuff. As a player, I know what my new weapon looks like, but not how I should use it. As a GM, the artwork is not giving me the push that I find in other Palladium products. In the couple of articles I've read in The Rifter, the same trend is being followed.

I recently was asked to run a couple of games of the old Star Wars RPG from West End Games. So, I was browsing the 2nd edition rulebook for Star Wars D6 to refresh my memory. I was really drawn by *how* the artwork was being used in this game. I flip to a random page of SW RPG. There is a full color wanted poster with images of Han Solo and Chewbacca, a simple cut and paste job which becomes an excellent prop for the gaming table. I flip to another page. There is an illustration there of an AT-AT Imperial Walker moving down a city street between high-rise buildings, and a rebel leaping off the roof of one of those buildings to land on the Walker's back. That's an adventure hook right there. I turn a random page of Splicers RPG. I see a warmount. It looks beautiful, but no sort of context is there. If flip to another random page, and I see an illustration of a type of Host Armor. Again, it looks great, but all it is doing is standing there. Models in JC Penny catalogs portray more action.

There is really no comparison between SW and Splicers. Whereas the Splicers artwork is more detailed, higher quality stuff; the Star Wars artwork is much better utilized, and that is what help to push the game. I know plenty of gamers, particularly younger players, who bought certain game books just for the artwork and then tried running the actual game. Splicers has never benefited from that particular form of traction.

Am I making any sense at all?
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Re: Artristic Direction of Splicers RPG

Unread post by Premier »

Excellent points Lord Z!

As an Artist that has worked on the Splicers sourcebook and other Splicers material I can clearly understand your concerns and challenges. I can't account for the issue however for the previous published works, but I can "attempt" to explain why those productions were they way they were and how I will attempt to produce certain works in the future.

1st, The production time was limited in comparison to many other sourcebooks published. Often when a book is limited in production time to illustrate the assignments, then it is a rush to cover as many illustrations as possible with quality and completion as the goal. This means that certain illustrations aren't seen by other production members until the product is complete. So its hard to incorporate other designs into scene shots if they aren't complete nor approved. Star Wars had/has most if not nearly ALL of its core designs & settings approved thus establishing a strong foundation to base scenes from. This is not the case for Splicers. Splicers material are a strong catalog of "introductory" first time being viewed type illustrations. Artist typically call these "establishing shots." Establishing shots, especially things so detailed or unique, are often required so when you see the items in a scene, especially a B&W scene you can separate and distinguish whats what. So without having the same liberty of established material/references in-front of us, we are sort of stuck with more introductory material. It wasn't until time was extended "somewhat" for a few of us that the fight scene was done and that was also because of who was assigned with what.

This is easily because a great deal of the time Artist invest is to devise cool, unique designs and aesthetic. Creating quality new visuals takes a great deal of time, drafting & creative energy and I know I personally wanted to deliver a signature look for Splicers that wasn't a Guyver copycat. That was in 2004. Now I am far more confident that Splicers has its own signature look and it will stand on its own very soon. For every new item its a new design.

I didn't see the Machine illustrations until the book was printed. The Machines were assigned to one part of Drunken Style Studios and the Splicers Resistance stuff to the other. That was to preserve consistency in the aesthetics given such a short amount of time.

2nd, There is still such a great range of settings and atmosphere in Splicers. So illustrating certain scenes will have to be strategic so that they work with most of the settings that GMs find ideal and envision. I agree showing certain weapons discharge will be helpful as to how the weapons work, but page space is also a factor. So I will be sure to try and get a healthy mixture of the weapons & enhancements that seem more comprehensive as far as usage. For example; I pondered what "cool" vision could I illustrate of the bio-enhancement of the Splicers "Force Field? I imagined it looking different than the machine's version.

For example: Halo has a cool looking signature force field and I want Splicers to also have a cool visual Force Field signature. BTW, if anyone comes up with anything for a Cool & unique visual signature please PM so I can implement it and name it after you. :D

3rd, We deal in B&W, so its really going to be about preserving clarity with shadows, highlights and value tones. The more components in B&W shot the more trickier this can become.

4th, Each illustration is valuable print space. So what would fans rather see more of, more scenes or more new material via introductory establish shots? Perhaps a fusion of the two in some cases when possible and time alloted, but for most part clarity is most desirable.

Going forward, especially in the sourcebooks, I plan to have more scene shots to help establish and develop the atmosphere & usage for playability and visual stimulations.

BTW, Its because of great post like this that WE can begin to plan out some of these scenes.

Hope that helps
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

I was too slow! :lol: I was going to say that Premier alone could write an essay on this topic. Lo and behold, point proven.

Premier’s comments aside, you make perfect sense, and I agree. Although my main issue with Splicers artwork is the cover. In relation to the setting itself, the cover does a horrible job of conveying what’s actually in the book. It actually kept me from purchasing it for quite a while; it made Splicers look like a goofy, kitschy, 1950’s grade-b sci-fi setting. I’ve thought for a long time that the cover was a major factor in Splicers not finding an audience. I’m obviously a huge fan of Splicers however, if a game store in Kansas City hadn’t have been having a sale during one of my work trips, I may never have picked it up. I poo-poo’ed it entirely. And I would have lost out.

My other favorite RPG setting is a game called “Cthulhutech”. Now, compare the cover of Splicers with some of the Cthulhutech cover art, especially the ones titled “Ancient Enemies” (sourcebook cover) and “Battle for Oz.” It was the cover art that immediately attracted me to the game. I would love to see a Splicer re-release with a much better cover.

http://www.tycareyart.com/illustration.html

But, for what it’s worth, I think Palladium as a whole has gotten much better, from an art and illustration standpoint. The Lemuria and the two Dead Reign sourcebook covers are fantastic, and as much as I’m sick of vampires, I really like the look of the Vampire sourcebook.

As for Splicers, the artwork for the various Rifter articles have all been top-notch and Premier can do no wrong in my book.
Last edited by Guy_LeDouche on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

I agree with Lord Z. Reading Premier's explanation of the rush job they had with no Splicers bible for reference, it's now understandable why a lot of the pics lacked atmosphere and mood and were just a catalog of cool armor, robots and equipment.

Glad to hear that they now have more time, plus they have a lot established, so they will be able to produce more pieces that inspire adventure and show glimpses of life in the Splicers world.
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Wow, I am very impressed by these detailed and thoroughly rational answers. I thought I was on the internet. Where am I?
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Lord Z wrote:Wow, I am very impressed by these detailed and thoroughly rational answers. I thought I was on the internet. Where am I?

:lol: Just to make you feel more at home:

No, you are completely wrong! Your logic sucks because you are a depraved idiot!

Does that make it any better? ;)
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Guy, you have such a way with words :lol:
The Dragon Has Spoken
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Snake Eyes wrote:Guy, you have such a way with words :lol:

Thank you Snake. That was my best generic internet troll impression. Hopefully it was taken in the humorous spirit it was intended.

Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Guy_LeDouche wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:Guy, you have such a way with words :lol:

Thank you Snake. That was my best generic internet troll impression. Hopefully it was taken in the humorous spirit it was intended.

Yes, that was quite funny (i thought it was quite funny :D )
The Dragon Has Spoken
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Lord Z wrote:Wow, I am very impressed by these detailed and thoroughly rational answers. I thought I was on the internet. Where am I?

Great thread Z!

It is open and honest inquiries like this that can possibly help all of us produce better quality productions in the future. Trust me I am taking heed to everything everyone is saying. I also agree with Guy once again regarding the cover. I don't want to throw any Artist under the bus, but this is one case where I think the cover is what has caused Splicers to be slept on. This isn't due to Evan's skillset as I know he is a awesome painter, but simply the components utilized. Perhaps if he had references of our completed illustrations, things might have turned out different via sales & exposure. The good thing is we wont be having the same set backs going forward.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Premier wrote:

Great thread Z!

It is open and honest inquiries like this that can possibly help all of us produce better quality productions in the future. Trust me I am taking heed to everything everyone is saying. I also agree with Guy once again regarding the cover. I don't want to throw any Artist under the bus, but this is one case where I think the cover is what has caused Splicers to be slept on. This isn't due to Evan's skillset as I know he is a awesome painter, but simply the components utilized. Perhaps if he had references of our completed illustrations, things might have turned out different via sales & exposure. The good thing is we wont be having the same set backs going forward.

The Proto-Armor on the cover is what sold me on Splicers.
I find the "Machine" itself boring, both in concept and in finished detail to be honest.

Splicer House vs Splicer House is interesting.
Splicer Styled Warlord Houses vs Russian Styled Warlord Camps is interesting in concept too.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

As I ponder ideas to make the setting/atmosphere more stimulating via illlustrations, it got me to thinking, just what would you Spliceheads desire to see (not making any promises but suggestions would be worthy considerations)?
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Premier wrote:As I ponder ideas to make the setting/atmosphere more stimulating via illlustrations, it got me to thinking, just what would you Spliceheads desire to see (not making any promises but suggestions would be worthy considerations)?

Curse my inability to draw. There are so many images flying around in my head that I wish I could illustrate.

For me, action shots or even "story set-up" style images. Three of my favorite Rifts covers are the two Atlantis books and Madhaven. Each of these images relays so much story potential. The Madhaven cover is filled with menance and dread, and offers so many adventure set-ups. Likewise with the Atlantis books: What happens to the young woman tied on Atlantis One? What about the guy pulling her along? And from Atlantis Two, would you really buy something from Shakey Jake?! That guy looks like he could swindle the scales off a snake!

I LOVE shots or illustrations that set up some sort of action or story hook. Not sure if I'm making sense, so I offer the following as examples of other RPG illustrations I like:

http://fav.me/d40k7yd Look at that! What's going to happen to this poor guy!?

http://fav.me/d271jwc Splicers vs. this thing?! I'm in.

http://fav.me/d2b6cix What I imagine many cities in the Splicer-verse look like. What lurks in there?

http://fav.me/d205s89 N.E.X.U.S. has had it. Talk to this.

http://fav.me/d1unqed A TJ nobody would want to mess with.

For me, its about what the picture suggests. I love RPG art that makes me want to build a story around it. Don't know if this makes sense or not. Hopefully it will.

TechnoGothic
Knight

Premier wrote:As I ponder ideas to make the setting/atmosphere more stimulating via illlustrations, it got me to thinking, just what would you Spliceheads desire to see (not making any promises but suggestions would be worthy considerations)?

You know me.
Proto-Armors, Sasquashes, Stalkers ;)
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Guy_LeDouche wrote:For me, action shots or even "story set-up" style images. Three of my favorite Rifts covers are the two Atlantis books and Madhaven. Each of these images relays so much story potential. The Madhaven cover is filled with menance and dread, and offers so many adventure set-ups. Likewise with the Atlantis books:...

This is one of the points I attempted to make in my original post, but Guy worded it better than I did.

TechnoGothic
Knight

Just let me know if you want me to tell you how i myself visualize my Stalkers in my head.
I have rough suggestions from various sources to help.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Guy_LeDouche wrote:

No, you are completely wrong! Your logic sucks because you are a depraved idiot!

you forgot to insult his mother, question his sexuality, and imply that both his religious and political views were incorrect.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:
Guy_LeDouche wrote:

you forgot to insult his mother, question his sexuality, and imply that both his religious and political views were incorrect.

And call him a trolling fan of the rival team of the team he ACTUALLY supports.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Guy_LeDouche wrote:

And I COMPLETELY forgot to work in somewhere that he's a total Nazi.

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Guy_LeDouche wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
Guy_LeDouche wrote:

And I COMPLETELY forgot to work in somewhere that he's a total Nazi.

Guy_, I am Disappoint.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

i needed to take a break from an assignment and clear my head so i came to the board & read this thread

some ideas

*a group of gorehounds attacking & surounding a WM, HA or robot

*a Skinjob coming out of stealth to assassinate someone

*a Swarm Lord's bugs decimating a target

*A dreadguard hit by a volley of missiles from the machine and you see the HA and the surrounding ground erupt with the explosion with debris & schrapnel going everywhere and you see half the face of the pilot as their HA is torn apart from the explosion

*a dracos swooping down from the heavens blasting the ground with fire as the troops it was carrying deploy

* an assault on a Sentry Tower

* a skirmish in the old sewers and maintenance lines between splicers and cable snakes, sewer prowlers & skitter pods

connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

*the bombardment of coastal defenses from one or numerous Krakens

* a number of vampiric HA feeding on a victim

* an Abomination WM feeding on another WM or HA or Gorehound

* A Saint providing first aid to a Roughneck or HA while their bodyguards provide cover

* a Ragdoll tearing apart a Roughneck while other roughnecks attack the ragdoll

* internal conflict: what happens when a megalo librarian is marked for execution and the ensuing battle with the librarians loyal scarecrows
connecting the dots
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

krispy wrote:*A dreadguard hit by a volley of missiles from the machine and you see the HA and the surrounding ground erupt with the explosion with debris & schrapnel going everywhere and you see half the face of the pilot as their HA is torn apart from the explosion

:shock: This one is especially good and would make a fantastic cover (no offense TechnoGothic.) Espcially if the HA has a particular wicked or monstrous face; the human features peering out would be pretty shocking.

Premier, take note!

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Wow, Some very powerful visuals have begun to stir in the Splice cranium.
A few I fear and a few I can see as VERY good possibilities.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Guy_LeDouche wrote:
krispy wrote:*A dreadguard hit by a volley of missiles from the machine and you see the HA and the surrounding ground erupt with the explosion with debris & schrapnel going everywhere and you see half the face of the pilot as their HA is torn apart from the explosion

:shock: This one is especially good and would make a fantastic cover (no offense TechnoGothic.) Espcially if the HA has a particular wicked or monstrous face; the human features peering out would be pretty shocking.

Premier, take note!

thanks mate :-D
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Premier wrote:Wow, Some very powerful visuals have begun to stir in the Splice cranium.
A few I fear and a few I can see as VERY good possibilities.

i have my moments :D

* a skirmish involving TJs and the machine where you see a TJ that is in control of one of the machines using it to fight for them

* battle between H. Shiva (Pariah's and WMs) and another House

* a group of Splicers catching a new monster from the preserves

* a large group of waste crawlers ambushing a Splicer patrol executing the Outriders, Roughnecks etc and stealing the WMs

* Gaia in an avatar robot body overlooking the creation of a new monster / creature

* the plants of the gardener at work against invading threats

* a squadron of archangels flying towards the front lines of approaching machines dodging missiles and blasts while delivering salvos of missiles and weapons fire towards the machines front lines

* a last stand from scarecrows defending their librarian against a robot incursion as a House crumbles
connecting the dots
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Unread post by Lt. Holmes »

I'd love to see an action shot of a Blood Fued between two Great Houses. The book touches on this topic (and it has since become my favourite Splicers plot/story) but the mechanics and artwork all about Splicers vs Machines.

Seeing two Houses go at it would really drive home the violent nature of this setting; where not even when faced with extinction by the Machine is Man save from Man's bloodlust.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

connecting the dots

Return to “Splicers®”