Robotech® New Generation™ Sourcebook

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kagashi
Champion

Re: Robotech® New Generation™ Sourcebook

Unread post by Kagashi »

yeah, totally agree. I have very little problems with the material in the new books (some small continuity between the two authors from book to book like lack of auto dodge bonuses in one and an over abundance in the others). Anything I mention would be nit picking though. The Robotech of today blows the old stuff out of the water. Just Manga sized sucks.

Ive only had one spine problem, and it was a Rifts book, which is not a manga sized book. the book basically became unglued and I now have 120 individual pages in a "folder" (aka the cover). But the manga sized ones, I find I have to push down the pages to separate them to actually read them. Im afraid that I will bust the spine on the too, but it really has not happened yet.

Id rather flip as few pages as possible when I am searching for something, or comparing two pieces of source material. This is why I like the larger pages. Manga sized is good for reading comics which go cover to cover and thats the last time you look at that page, but researching something (or building a character) with manga sized is frustrating to me. I am SOOOOOO glad they are abandoning the format.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

See - I have not had a spine problem with any of my books, save for one I lent out to a friend decades ago. But then again, i hold my books so i don't break the spines. My biggest gripe is lamination, it peels on nearly every book I use.

But for the books opening up, I found two weights to be enough. I have to do the same for the larger size books if I am not opening to the middle. Nowfor some that know me, I spent hours going over the rules and painstakingly typed bits and pieces for a character generator. Getting the skills just right for every class and mos. It's brutal.

But I will agree that TSC has the first book syndrome and copy paste statistic block syndrome. TSC has upper and lower limbs listed while TMS and TRM have limbs. Then of course bonuses don't all quite jive. Not to mention strike bonuses are weak compared to the dodges.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Tiree wrote:See - I have not had a spine problem with any of my books, save for one I lent out to a friend decades ago. But then again, i hold my books so i don't break the spines. My biggest gripe is lamination, it peels on nearly every book I use.

But for the books opening up, I found two weights to be enough. I have to do the same for the larger size books if I am not opening to the middle. Nowfor some that know me, I spent hours going over the rules and painstakingly typed bits and pieces for a character generator. Getting the skills just right for every class and mos. It's brutal.

But I will agree that TSC has the first book syndrome and copy paste statistic block syndrome. TSC has upper and lower limbs listed while TMS and TRM have limbs. Then of course bonuses don't all quite jive. Not to mention strike bonuses are weak compared to the dodges.

Not to mention statistically speaking there is zero reason for any of the militaries to have stopped using things like the destroids and VF-1's or weapon damages that are completely out of whack or MDC values are very overinflated or......
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
ESalter
Adventurer

Re: Bindings

Unread post by ESalter »

Kagashi wrote:Ive only had one spine problem, and it was a Rifts book, which is not a manga sized book. the book basically became unglued and I now have 120 individual pages in a "folder" (aka the cover).

I've had binding problems with both the manga-sized sourcebooks I bought; never with half a dozen full-sized.
SailorCallie
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I wanna nuke!

Re: Bindings

Unread post by SailorCallie »

ESalter wrote:
Kagashi wrote:Ive only had one spine problem, and it was a Rifts book, which is not a manga sized book. the book basically became unglued and I now have 120 individual pages in a "folder" (aka the cover).

I've had binding problems with both the manga-sized sourcebooks I bought; never with half a dozen full-sized.

That never happened to me with the manga-sized sourcebooks because I had to look for some bookmarks for certain places to read in the future.
Raiden

Unread post by Raiden »

Well....almost half way through october....still no book....nor any announcement on it being at the printer, just that it's "pending approval" from Harmony Gold.

I call shenanigans....
dataweaver
Adventurer

Unread post by dataweaver »

And you were expecting otherwise? This is par for the course. October means January, January means Summer, and Summer means vaporware.
Raiden

Unread post by Raiden »

dataweaver wrote:And you were expecting otherwise? This is par for the course. October means January, January means Summer, and Summer means vaporware.

Trust me buddy, this ain't my first rodeo when it comes to Palladium Books and their releases.... or non-releases as it were...

I'm one of those few who remembers the announcement of Mechanoids Space.....and still hopes that one day it'll see the light of day
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

Mechanoids Space lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
like that going to happen and what I siad around 2012 and we are in 2011
yeah :ugh:
all we can do is hope again :)
but feels like :(
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

My copy of revised recon (print date 1986) promises an updated, megaversally compatible version of the game arriving in 6 months . . .
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Jefffar wrote:My copy of revised recon (print date 1986) promises an updated, megaversally compatible version of the game arriving in 6 months . . .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

Jefffar wrote:My copy of revised recon (print date 1986) promises an updated, megaversally compatible version of the game arriving in 6 months . . .

Oh wow. I thought my 1992 Rifts SB2 had the first mention. So I guess it is even later than I thought. :eek:
Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

That is the call of the deep doo-doo bird. I must fly!
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

wow, 1986. I remember seeing it for pre-sale in 1994 and being disappointed. Now...1986....wow...I do not even know what to say knowing there is a book that is 25 years late.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
dataweaver
Adventurer

...and counting. If they hurry, they might be able to release it in time to celebrate the 30th anniversary of its initial announcement.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

dataweaver wrote:...and counting. If they hurry, they might be able to release it in time to celebrate the 30th anniversary of its initial announcement.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Raiden

Unread post by Raiden »

Wow....I didn't know it was that late....here I thought Mechanoids Space took the top spot for Palladium Vaporware
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Raiden wrote:Wow....I didn't know it was that late....here I thought Mechanoids Space took the top spot for Palladium Vaporware

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

if I posted this twice sorry
Palladium Books® Weekly Update – October 13, 2011

By Kevin Siembieda
UPDATE: Robotech® New Generation™ Sourcebook is pretty much done. I need to submit the last of the artwork and get final approval and changes from Harmony Gold. As soon as we get those two things, we lay the book out and send it to the printer.

UPDATE: Robotech® Genesis Pits™ Sourcebook. No word on its progress, but I know writer Irvin Jackson has been working away.

We will see now
Raiden

Unread post by Raiden »

ZINO wrote:if I posted this twice sorry

By Kevin Siembieda
UPDATE: Robotech® New Generation™ Sourcebook is pretty much done. I need to submit the last of the artwork and get final approval and changes from Harmony Gold. As soon as we get those two things, we lay the book out and send it to the printer.

UPDATE: Robotech® Genesis Pits™ Sourcebook. No word on its progress, but I know writer Irvin Jackson has been working away.

We will see now

Notice how he doesn't tell us what year it will finally see the light of day...
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Raiden wrote:

By Kevin Siembieda

We will see now

Which is why I won't pre-order until there's an official release date.
They can't see me...Right!?
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Arnie100 wrote:
Raiden wrote:

By Kevin Siembieda

We will see now

but I dont think they charge a Pre-order until the book is actually in stock...
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Arnie100 wrote:
Raiden wrote:

By Kevin Siembieda

We will see now

but I dont think they charge a Pre-order until the book is actually in stock...

Actually they do not charge until they are ready to ship it. However having something on pre-order for what is likely to be several months to a year (speaking conservatively here) it is very possible those orders won;t go through as it is pretty difficult to know if and or when the charge would be put through on your card. That is IF you use your card. If you pay by money order or cheque, THOSE I believe (well the money order for sure) are cashed right away and you've paid for a book you won't see for a while.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Raiden

Unread post by Raiden »

We should just start a pool, we each pick a week in the coming year as to when we believe that the book will actually get SHIPPED, not at the printers, not on Kevin's desk and finalized, but actually SHIPPED, on it's way to retailers.

For an exact week: Between April 8th and April 15th, 2012

Whom ever chooses the exact week gets to be crowned "King of the Robotech Forums" for a year.

Anyone with me?
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Raiden wrote:We should just start a pool, we each pick a week in the coming year as to when we believe that the book will actually get SHIPPED, not at the printers, not on Kevin's desk and finalized, but actually SHIPPED, on it's way to retailers.

For an exact week: Between April 8th and April 15th, 2012

Whom ever chooses the exact week gets to be crowned "King of the Robotech Forums" for a year.

Anyone with me?

AGREE!!!
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

By Kevin Siembieda

We will see now

Now being?
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

ScottBernard wrote:

By Kevin Siembieda

We will see now

Now being?

huh?
Arnie100
Knight

ScottBernard wrote:

By Kevin Siembieda

UPDATE: Robotech® Genesis Pits™ Sourcebook. No word on its progress, but I know writer Irvin

Jackson has been working away.

We will see now

Now being?

If they ship the book on schedule.
Arnie100
Knight

Ships November, 2011

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/index.php ... er-20-2011

What did I tell you folks? The ONLY thing they're on time with are the DELAYS. AGAIN. :x They can't even make their own deadlines. It's FRUSTRATING. :x
ilexgarodan
D-Bee

Unread post by ilexgarodan »

Arnie100 wrote:
Ships November, 2011

What did I tell you folks? The ONLY thing they're on time with are the DELAYS. AGAIN. :x They can't even make their own deadlines. It's FRUSTRATING. :x

Hey hey hey, easy! It's not Kevin's or Palladium Books' fault that the book is being delayed! If anything, blame Harmony Gold USA for taking their time to go through the approval process!
dataweaver
Adventurer

Yeah; it's not like Kevin can look at Harmony Gold's track record on turn-around times and incorporate that into his projected release date. Right?

@ilexgarodan: This is not the first time that Palladium Books has pushed back a release date. Nor is it the second, third, fourth, or fifth. In fact, late releases are par for the course for Palladium Books. What's really shocking is the rare occasion when a book comes out on schedule.

And for what it's worth, I bear no animosity toward Palladium Books in this regard. I've long since accepted that this is just the way it is with them; and there's no sense in getting upset about stuff that's not going to change.
Arnie100
Knight

ilexgarodan wrote:
Arnie100 wrote:
Ships November, 2011

Hey hey hey, easy! It's not Kevin's or Palladium Books' fault that the book is being delayed! If anything, blame Harmony Gold USA for taking their time to go through the approval process!

This book; is what, almost 3 years LATE?
dataweaver
Adventurer

Yes; yes, it is. Your point?
Arnie100
Knight

dataweaver wrote:Yes; yes, it is. Your point?

Nothing really. Sorry for the rant. :(
Raiden

Unread post by Raiden »

Arnie100 wrote:
Ships November, 2011

And by the end of November, we'll see them push it back to December....
SailorCallie
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I wanna nuke!

Unread post by SailorCallie »

Raiden wrote:
Arnie100 wrote:
Ships November, 2011

And by the end of November, we'll see them push it back to December....

Maybe we'll finally get the RTNG sourcebook in November after all. It's just a matter of patience. (I hope.)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

On a related note: Genesis Pits(January/February release?).
New Material.
I SO want this....pleasepleasepleaseplease don't screw up the release schedules again...I so want Robotech to again be the active, vibrant, expansionist worldline it was in those heady(if canon-error-fraight) days of the first edition RPG.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Raiden

Unread post by Raiden »

taalismn wrote:On a related note: Genesis Pits(January/February release?).
New Material.
I SO want this....pleasepleasepleaseplease don't screw up the release schedules again...I so want Robotech to again be the active, vibrant, expansionist worldline it was in those heady(if canon-error-fraight) days of the first edition RPG.

That my friend, will never happen. Not again. Not with Harmony Gold holding the reigns on content and Palladium un-able to meet the most basic deadlines.

Don't get me wrong, those days were great, as there was just so much good stuff across every book, cannon or not. Oh well....at least HG and PB can't wreck memories...
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Raiden wrote:
New Material.

That my friend, will never happen. Not again. Not with Harmony Gold holding the reigns on content and Palladium un-able to meet the most basic deadlines.

Don't get me wrong, those days were great, as there was just so much good stuff across every book, cannon or not. Oh well....at least HG and PB can't wreck memories...

The Malcontent Uprising, the Canon Wars, the Macross Schism, The Mordecai Heresy, the Fan Rebellion, the Retcon Raptures, the Great Wait and the Rescheduling....oh, what we've had to endure...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

taalismn wrote:
Raiden wrote:
New Material.

The Malcontent Uprising, the Canon Wars, the Macross Schism, The Mordecai Heresy, the Fan Rebellion, the Retcon Raptures, the Great Wait and the Rescheduling....oh, what we've had to endure...

nicely said ;)
ESalter
Adventurer

Re: First Edition

Unread post by ESalter »

New Material.

It looks like they'll also try recycling some old ideas:

Palladium Books® Weekly Update wrote:# New genetic mutations usable by most characters.
# Evolutionary experiments gone wrong, like giant insects....
# The last surviving Robotech Masters and their clones.

Raiden wrote:
taalismn wrote:I SO want this....pleasepleasepleaseplease don't screw up the release schedules again...I so want Robotech to again be the active, vibrant, expansionist worldline it was in those heady(if canon-error-fraight) days of the first edition RPG.

While I haven't read all the early material, I've read a lot, and my opinion of it is low; I'd be happy if HG does suppress Palladium's sillier ideas.

taalismn wrote:The Malcontent Uprising, the Canon Wars, the Macross Schism, The Mordecai Heresy, the Fan Rebellion, the Retcon Raptures, the Great Wait and the Rescheduling....oh, what we've had to endure...

:D
Raiden

Unread post by Raiden »

Well, the only book that was a total miss to me was Lancers Rockers. All the other books in the line, while not completely good from cover to cover had nuggets of great things.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Raiden wrote:Well, the only book that was a total miss to me was Lancers Rockers. All the other books in the line, while not completely good from cover to cover had nuggets of great things.

Yeah Lancers Rockers was a bust. Everything else was quite usable and even Lancers Rockers had some useful stuff in it (Battle Bikes for example)

\m/
Chris0013
Hero

Unread post by Chris0013 »

jaymz wrote:
Raiden wrote:Well, the only book that was a total miss to me was Lancers Rockers. All the other books in the line, while not completely good from cover to cover had nuggets of great things.

Yeah Lancers Rockers was a bust. Everything else was quite usable and even Lancers Rockers had some useful stuff in it (Battle Bikes for example)

agree....Rockers had a lot of good info. But the bad did tend to outweigh it.
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

No argument there.

\m/
dataweaver
Adventurer

I liked Lancer's Rockers. Granted, it was stupid-silly; but sometimes that's exactly what you're looking for. I also appreciated the "where are they now?" aspect.

In fact, the book inspired me to devise a "Return of the Wolf Pack" storyline centering around Rook, Rand, and Colonel Wolfe's estranged son, and featuring a resistance group (the new Wolf Pack) consisting almost entirely of freedom fighters, nomad scouts, and other assorted civilians. The "patchwork mecha" of the upcoming New Generation Sourcebook would fit right in with what I had in mind.
Last edited by dataweaver on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arnie100
Knight

I thought Lancer's Rockers was a wasted effort. That was the only book I didn't buy. Bought everything else.
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

K.S : new update
UPDATE: Robotech® New Generation™ Sourcebook in final production! Approvals for artwork have started to come in from Harmony Gold! The rest of the art and text should follow. The folks at H.G. tell us they plan to get us all approvals and changes by next week. As soon as we have them the book gets laid out and sent to the printer! November release, here we come!!! Keep those pre-orders rolling in.

UPDATE: Robotech® Genesis Pits™ Sourcebook. The writing continues to move along nicely. See the description elsewhere in this Weekly Update. It is scheduled for a January release (pending approval from the Li censor) and is shaping up to be another epic sourcebook. 8½ x 11 size. 96 pages.

WELL WE SEE WHAT HAPPENS NOW AGAIN WE WAIT ;)
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

I liked Lancers Rockers. Well, not the rocker part, but I liked the EBSIS stuff.
Updated Aug 2015
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Kagashi wrote:I liked Lancers Rockers. Well, not the rocker part, but I liked the EBSIS stuff.

E.B.S.I.S. is fun add the new MDC damage look out!!!
ESalter
Adventurer

Re: Lancer's Rockers

Unread post by ESalter »

Gryphon wrote:I liked rockers, the instra-mecha were entirely anime in feel, but were decidedly out of place in most games, but the E.B.S.I.S. material was good, and the giant mecha hybrid was a really good one shot super brawl. And most importantly the peek into the pseudo-organization of the resistance was also very intriguing to see. Most importantly, it represented Palladium being permitted the right to go away form canon materials and develop the world a bit...something they are more or less forbidden from doing with the newest version of the RPG.

I have a low opinion of that book: the situations are so badly set up and described that the players would be left with nothing to do but be lead by the nose from one arbitrary combat encounter to another, which seems to be what the writers wanted. The text is descriptions to the players, setting information, instructions to the GM, and wishful thinking about the players' emotional reactions, all jumbled together in a stream-of-consciousness fashion. I think the authors were more interested in reaching a page count than writing something of any use.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”