Rifts GM Style (poll)

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The rules are:

1. Precisely what we follow
7%
2. Followed, but people have a bit of leeway
27%
3. A guideline, we aim to stick to the intent
50%
4. ONLY guidelines, we are more freeform
17%

Total votes: 60

G
Adventurer

Rifts GM Style (poll)

Unread post by G »

If you are GMn please rate yourself. If you are playing please rate your GM. Its a 1 to 4 scale.

Someone pointed out to me today that they think too many RIFTS GMs are too by the book...so I thought I would post a poll to see if that is the case.

Perhaps we should give some examples to help people decide?

-A player wants a gun that does SDC damage in addition to mdc, the GMs response is:
1. If they can't find it in a book, in the area that they are in, etc., then no.
2. Pick a weapon, hire an operator and your good.
3. Is it unbalanced? more fun? add to RP? Go ahead, the black market makes one of those.
4. If you can think of a reason that you have it, then yes.

...I won't post multiple examples, but will note that GMs often treat magic, tech, skills, psionics, etc. differently.

Thank you all in advance for your votes!
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Rifts GM Style (poll)

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

They are guidelines. #3

But when a person asks a question here in the boards, they should be 1st answered with what is canon.
With any house rules, GM judgments need to represented as such. i.e. when people post their house rules they need to say, in some form, that they are not posting their own opinions and not book canon.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

I picked the 2nd option.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

I voted #3. In all games I'm in, every situation gets asked the same question: Would the game still be in balance (maybe with a slight - 52/48 - edge to the players)? If the answer is yes, then it's allowable under a house rule. If not, then it's not.

I also tend to ask my players what they think before I just blurt out an answer or ruling that affects them and their enjoyment of the game. I'd rather get their input and allow something that we all agree on as opposed to just saying "No" or "It's this way cuz I said so".
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

3rd option. Games should be fun and you sould stick to the intent but keep also the logical part.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

The first option, but I re-write the rules, so you could see that as the last option.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

#4 - If the rules cover it great. If not great we'll figure it out. If the rules cover it and we think it's stupid or doesn't make sense we change it.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Depends from the situation so I voted on the third option.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

I don't play Rifts but if I did I'd go with #3. That said, if the intent doesn't work for me, I have no problem altering it.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I can't in good conscience class myself under any of the given options. I'd say the best terms would be "fast & loose", "character focused" and "it's only a game, fellas". :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Even in games, rules are important. Rules are made to broken, but then it must consistent, which in itself creates a new rule.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

lather wrote:Even in games, rules are important. Rules are made to broken, but then it must consistent, which in itself creates a new rule.

Nonsense! Ever play free style chess? :P
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Grell wrote:
lather wrote:Even in games, rules are important. Rules are made to broken, but then it must consistent, which in itself creates a new rule.

Nonsense! Ever play free style chess? :P

I have and i win every time as long as I go first. :bandit:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

See? Consistency creates a new rule. :)
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

I chose #1, but that's where the rules are technically written well enough and integrated completely into each other. Where they aren't, which in most RPG's is in alot of places, basically it's 2-4. I mean, you don't have a choice at that point, so your stuck. It's not like your really doing it purely because you like it - there really isn't any other choice.
GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Unread post by GA »

I picked 3 but the answer is somewhere beteween 3 and 2. If the rules are solid you follow the rules so that would be number 1. When the rules are unclear or stupid you have to try to follow the overall intent.

Actually its a little more unclear, first you have to try and figure out what the intent was then you have to decide whether or not you agree with it enough to keep it as a mechanic and still try and follow the overall intent.
You kill my dog I'ma slay yo cat-Flava Flav, Terminator X to the Edge of Panic, 1988
A man's gotta know his limitations-Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, 1973
No good deed goes unpunished-Clare Booth Luce
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:They are guidelines. #3

But when a person asks a question here in the boards, they should be 1st answered with what is canon.
With any house rules, GM judgments need to represented as such. i.e. when people post their house rules they need to say, in some form, that they are not posting their own opinions and not book canon.

This.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Unlike the vast majority of GMs, I am actually in favor of sticking to the rules in every rules system. I try to remain as close to book rules as possible. The way I see it, players don't get a clear experience of playing a new game and developing a knowledgeable opinion of it if the game deviates significantly from the original design. I think we can all recall a particular rule which we loved or hated only to learn much later that it was only ever a house rule.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913

Return to “G.M.s Forum”