Favorite House Rule

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Favorite House Rule

Unread post by Athos »

What is your favorite house rule for Rifts? It can be something original or something common, but I am interested to know how others modify the game. Please, one per post...

I would say mine has to do with gems and the new TW rules. I don't like how the pricing is linear and a 20 carat gem is only 20x the price of a 1 carat gem. So I have made a modification, I now charge carats squared x the price per carat for gems 2 carats and up. So a 2 carat gem that is normally 15,000 credits a carat, like a diamond, is now 60,000 credits instead of 30,000; and a 20 carat diamond would be 6 million vs. 300 thousand. As you can see, the bigger the stone, the more rare and the more expensive it will be. This just makes sense to me.
wyrmraker
Hero

Re: Favorite House Rule

Unread post by wyrmraker »

My favorite is simplification of the strength damage rules. Normally with melee weapons and SNPS, only the higher of the two damages applies, and Robotic doesn't really count at all. So instead SNPS gets to add their full strength damage bonus to their melee weapon damage, and robotic gets to add half, rounded down. Therefore a vibro-saber that does 2d6 md, wielded with a 30 Robotic PS would do 2d6+7 md, and Supernatural PS of 30 would be 2d6+15.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Athos wrote:What is your favorite house rule for Rifts? It can be something original or something common, but I am interested to know how others modify the game. Please, one per post...

I would say mine has to do with gems and the new TW rules. I don't like how the pricing is linear and a 20 carat gem is only 20x the price of a 1 carat gem. So I have made a modification, I now charge carats squared x the price per carat for gems 2 carats and up. So a 2 carat gem that is normally 15,000 credits a carat, like a diamond, is now 60,000 credits instead of 30,000; and a 20 carat diamond would be 6 million vs. 300 thousand. As you can see, the bigger the stone, the more rare and the more expensive it will be. This just makes sense to me.

I agree that the pricing should not be linear, but as far as TechnoWizardry is concerned there's no reason to use a large stone. A 20 carat stone produces the same effect as twenty 1 carat stones.

My favorite house rule to the setting is slight modification to the CS's laws on literacy:
- Literacy is niether encouraged nor discouraged.
- All books are replaced by e-books.
-- The content is controlled by the CS government, who will change 'classic' novels to fit their vision.
-- The government can secretly monitor what people read.
- Paper books are outlawed because they might be a magic scroll in disguise. (Just last month a whole block of the 'Burbs burned down 'cuz some fool was reading from a paper book...)

My favorite house rule for combat is to Rail Guns:
- All Rail Guns are considered Armor Piercing, and benefit from the AP rule on RUE p362.
-- Double damage on a roll of 18+ including bonuses (triple on a Nat 20)
- This gives a better reason to lug around a 100 lb Rail Gun instead of an energy rifle. (And, yes, I apply this to Boom Guns as well.)
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

Time for me to chime in with the standard "the whole system is house ruled D&D" statement. :lol:
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Mine is that the "Regularly scheduled and ran airline out of Merc town to multiple places all over NA, doesn't exist in my Rifts world.

If you can just hop a flight to anywhere it really really really breaks that "Post Apocalypse, dangerous world" thing.

That and I conciser the Coalition Edge, and other CS stuff written by Deadboy 100% canon.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

My favourite House Rule reduces costs to 10% of listed value. So body armor repairs are now affordable, instead of having to buy a new suit of body armor. That also means that in certain locations weapons and power armor are cheaper as well.
I have a mechanic PC in one of my games who charges less than her competitors around MercTown. So she gets more business than they do, but she also does custom build jobs on vehicles which is where she really rakes in the cash.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Just a little general work on the MDC vs. SDC.

MDC inflicts double damage direct to hit points. (So, a punch from a SN creature usually won't immediately reduce someone to a puddle, but it will likely leave him with several broken ribs and possible internal bleeding.)

MD weapons completely wipe out any SDC under 100, but every full 100 SDC of protection will 'Soak' 1 MD, (Pre doubling,) so someone with 120 SDC hit by a 4 MD blast, will lose 100 SDC, and end up taking 6 damage direct to hit points. 4-1=3, 3x2=6.

For every full 100 SDC inflicted within a single melee will inflict 1 MD. A single man with an SMG inflicting 30 damage isn't going to do any mega-damage at all, but four attackers armed with the same weapon and causing comparable damage while concentrating their fire on a single target can overwhelm MDC protection to a limited degree. So the combined fire of the 4 SMGs above being 120, their target takes 1 MD worth of damage. (Think Robocop. A single thug with a machine gun didn't stand a chance, but a squad of men armed with machine guns laid down such a withering hail of gunfire that they were able to hit some weak points in Robo's frame.)
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Prowl: I have created a grid that allows for opposed prowl checks.

Question 1: Did you succeed on your prowl check
Question 2: Is someone actively looking for you

If you failed your prowl check, but no one is looking for you: Each party rolls a D20 higher roll succeeds.
If you failed your prowl check, and some one is looking for you: You're caught.
If you succeed on your prowl check, and no one is looking for you: You're not found.
If you succeed on your prowl check, and someone is looking for you: Each party rolls a D20 higher roll succeeds.

An Example: You're sneaking through an enemies base. You've failed your prowl check, but no one has sounded an alarm yet. You encounter the first guard who has a chance of seeing you. Both parties roll a D20. You beat his roll and are able to continue sneaking past. You continue and come across a second guard. This time both parties roll a D20 and you fail to beat his roll. You're spotted! Combat ensues, you defeat the guard but he is able to sound the alarm. Now the entire enemy base is on high alert! Since the situation has changed I offer you a new chance to roll prowl, this time you succeed. A third guard has shown up on the scene. Normally your successful prowl roll would be enough to sneak around but since he's on high alert you still have a D20 roll off. You barely succeed and slip into the next room. You continue some distance and find the master minds command room. A fourth guard has a chance to see you and he is actively looking for intruders. Opposed D20's and this time you fail. You've been spotted by the guard . . . Roll initiative!

*Important note for this senario: If you have the detect ambush skill, you get to roll it. If you succeed you are considered to be "actively looking" for something even if you have no reason to do so.

I apply a similar proccess to most opposed rolls.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Our house rule for the past.... 15? years has been that *IF* you have reasonable expectation to be shot at, you may attempt to Dodge. -10 applies, but you may also use PP & combat bonuses. Still usually means the Dodger is at a noticeable negative, but it's reduced the probable fatality, especially in an ambush situation. Since otherwise, the PCs would never take off their armors when in town or camping. We've still had deaths & near-deaths, but *shrug*

Our group likes to be inventive to *attempt* some of the action-movie maneuvers like Laura Croft/many other heroes w/ double-pistols firing while jumping sideways. Then again, we've all been playing D&D & PB games for so long together, that we have a good checks & balances amongst each other.
More or less, if something isn't flat-out stated that it doesn't exist/can't be done (like most cross-breeding), if it makes for an exciting or memorable game session, it's usually allowed to fly. And it does sometimes mean the GM is shaking his head & asking for a 10min break while he re-configs his game. But we'll talk about that "episode" years later, and folks keep coming back to our gaming group so....

Another house rule is that most anything class & race is allowed in the typical campaign, as long as you have some kind of "logical" explanation & backstory. But we've been lucky w/ only a few min/maxers so the players tend to self-police & have some Achilles Heel to offset the KOOL factor.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Mack wrote:My favorite house rule to the setting is slight modification to the CS's laws on literacy:
- Literacy is niether encouraged nor discouraged.
- All books are replaced by e-books.
-- The content is controlled by the CS government, who will change 'classic' novels to fit their vision.
-- The government can secretly monitor what people read.
- Paper books are outlawed because they might be a magic scroll in disguise. (Just last month a whole block of the 'Burbs burned down 'cuz some fool was reading from a paper book...)

My favorite house rule for combat is to Rail Guns:
- All Rail Guns are considered Armor Piercing, and benefit from the AP rule on RUE p362.
- This gives a better reason to lug around a 100 lb Rail Gun instead of an energy rifle. (And, yes, I apply this to Boom Guns as well.)

I love the take on literacy and how it really takes modern technology into account. E-book vs. paperback? Epic logic and propanganda win! I think I will give the rail gun rule a try as well; it fits my bias for projectile weapons nicely, at least in theory! :-D
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

My favourite house rule is that we play round Nick's house - and he supplies the beers.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Grell wrote:I love the take on literacy and how it really takes modern technology into account. E-book vs. paperback? Epic logic and propanganda win! I think I will give the rail gun rule a try as well; it fits my bias for projectile weapons nicely, at least in theory! :-D

Thanks.

Just be aware that this gives a pretty good boost to Rail Gun damage. With a +4 Strike (which isn't that hard to get) the shooter will inflict double damage on a roll of 14 and up. That equates to about a 78% damage boost on average. And with a higher bonus to strike the percentage goes up accordingly (+5 Strike creates a 92% boost).

It really gives someone a reason to fear a rail gun. Sure, he'll probably only hit you for normal damage, but there's decent odds of double damage, and a 1 in 20 of triple damage.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

My favorite house rule in my home game is "For a sharpshooter, taking an aimed, called shot in a single action counts as shooting wild for a base, apply sharpshooting bonuses normally."

It's ridiculous that Rifts, the game of cinematic hand to hand and gunplay, sucks three initiative passes for John Woo/Billy the Kid Gunplay man to fire one bullet.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Mack wrote:My favorite house rule for combat is to Rail Guns:

I have been doing this one for some time, except I use the natural die roll to determine if it is a critical hit or not.

A high un-natural strike roll will still be hard to dodge.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Crucible
Champion

Unread post by Crucible »

I allow advantages during character creation. That is always based on the character and the backstory though.

Some guys start between 2-4th level
Automatically either Minor or Major Psionic
HU2 rolled mutation or simply 1 minor power
major mutation 3 minor powers and 1 major
And awesome PA, Robot, vehicle, or etc
and otherwise SUPER deadly weapon not normally found

it goes on and on. They love it.

I don't make you change your OCC if you take a Juicer Conversion mid game, or any other switch.
Ogres can actually be attractive
Mages, Psionics, and the seriously jakked creatures are pretty much a rarity. There aren't as many as most think. In fact you're more likely to find a Cyber-Knight
D-Bees while not rare aren't as cluttered about as the game makes it seem.
Joseph Prosek utilizes all the things his dad hates. His idea is the uplifting and rise of the CS states and all others will be subjugated rather than eradicated.
You can use any OCC from any book.
Last edited by Crucible on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

All classes start with a hand to hand skill (HTH Basic is the default if the class does not list one)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Crucible
Champion

Damian Magecraft wrote:All classes start with a hand to hand skill (HTH Basic is the default if the class does not list one)

Same...its the whole "Larger than life" hero thing.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 3-73 Cavalry. Leading the way! Airborne!!!
All hail CJ, Future Ruler of the Megavesre!

Unread post by PhellaOne »

I've got a few, so I'll try to condense them and let others interpret them as they see fit.

#1. Uncalled shots: If a player hits someone but doesn't "call" their shot, it's really not fair to assume it hits the MB every time. And considering the 12 sided die isn't used for ANYTHING (really, when was the last time you rolled a D12?), I came up with this for uncalled shots: 1 - 2 Left Leg, 3 - 4 Right Leg, 5 Left Arm, 6 Right Arm, 7 - 11 Main Body, 12 Head. It's gotten to where my PCs just roll a D12 with their D20 when they just want to strike someone without calling a body part. That one has worked for over 15 years.

#2. MD. to SD.: We do not use the formula of 100 SD is roughly equivalent to 1 MD. Lowering the ratio to 10 SD to 1 MD has worked well for us (Da Phellas, DPS) since we began playing Rifts.

#3. Armor Class: Not to be confused with other games' definition of AC, we define AC as the amount of damage one IGNORES PER SHOT before you apply damage. For example: if someone has an AC of 10 and a 9mm round hits them for 10 SD (or less), it does no damage to the armor. It simply bounces off. So if you have an AC of 12, you are pretty much "bulletproof" up to 2D6 SD, because the maximum damage would be 12 and absorbed by your AC. This created another rule of ours regarding burst-firing, described below.

#4. Burst-firing: Because of our AC "house rule", I had to come up with a new burst-firing damage that simplified our AC "house rule". The rule is very simple: When firing a burst, you do NOT add the dice together. Instead, you roll individual round damage and multiply it by the burst modifier. If your target has an AC, you apply that to the individual round damage BEFORE the burst multiplier. Example: An Ingram does 4D6 per round, with a short burst modifier of X2. That does NOT make it 8D6 (or 1D4x10, or whatever your simplified damage roll would be). Instead you roll the 4D6 SD (let's say 17 SD), subtract any applicable AC modifier (let's use AC 10), then apply the short burst modifier (x2). It would look like this: (17SD - 10AC)x2 = 14 SD. If the "per round" SD is less than the AC, then ALL damage from the short burst simply bounces off. THAT one would look like this: (9SD - 10AC)x2 = 0 SD. If you're not sure how to assign an AC, just use the listed AR instead. It's a seamless transition.

That's it for now. I don't want to rewrite the rules here, but those are the ones I use the most and thought other people might appreciate.

Game on! Long live Palladium!!!
All will bow to CJ, Future Ruler of the Megaverse!

"Storytellas Studios... that's how we imagined it!"
http://www.storytellasstudios.com (I've bought and registered the domain, next is buying the servers!)
StorytellasStudios@groups.live.com for now.

Game on! Long live Palladium Books!!!
Xbox Live gamertag: xX PhellaOne Xx
Balabanto
Champion

I also do the x10 megadamage rule. It allows SDC creatures a fighting chance....sometimes.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

PhellaOne wrote:#1. Uncalled shots: If a player hits someone but doesn't "call" their shot, it's really not fair to assume it hits the MB every time. And considering the 12 sided die isn't used for ANYTHING (really, when was the last time you rolled a D12?), I came up with this for uncalled shots: 1 - 2 Left Leg, 3 - 4 Right Leg, 5 Left Arm, 6 Right Arm, 7 - 11 Main Body, 12 Head. It's gotten to where my PCs just roll a D12 with their D20 when they just want to strike someone without calling a body part. That one has worked for over 15 years.

I've been using a 1d8 in a similar manner.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

jedi078 wrote:
PhellaOne wrote:#1. Uncalled shots: If a player hits someone but doesn't "call" their shot, it's really not fair to assume it hits the MB every time. And considering the 12 sided die isn't used for ANYTHING (really, when was the last time you rolled a D12?), I came up with this for uncalled shots: 1 - 2 Left Leg, 3 - 4 Right Leg, 5 Left Arm, 6 Right Arm, 7 - 11 Main Body, 12 Head. It's gotten to where my PCs just roll a D12 with their D20 when they just want to strike someone without calling a body part. That one has worked for over 15 years.

I've been using a 1d8 in a similar manner.

Yeah, when we first started doing it we tried other die set-ups, too. But the D12 looked sooo lonely... :wink:

Last edited by PhellaOne on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.storytellasstudios.com (I've bought and registered the domain, next is buying the servers!)

Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

I call it a "House" rule but that really means I stole it from my Exalted game.

I call it the "stunt" die. If you perform a stunt that is fun, funny, engaging, cinematic or adds to the flavor of the story and adds to the excitement of a scene I give bonus die to dice-pools or die-rolls.

For example, your mutant full-bipedal weasel metabolism junkie hyperion juicer decides to enter a bar brawl. You announce your intent to inflict a "full-strength" punch on the nearest combatant. You roll your standard dice-pool.

That very same Hyperion Weasel hurtles through the air to land an "air-slide" olly off the second floor bannister, using the forward momentum to carom into the throng of patrons to blow them apart like a bowling-pin fragmentation explosion. He yells his favorite bowling warcry, "STRIKE!!!!!" during the scene and eventually comes to rest in the middle of a writhing mass of drunk, undulating patrons plied thick with alcohol and dizzy from juicer-impact.

Well that second description really gets people excited and while, normally, that'd be my job as the GM I don't want to steal the show from my players. If they want me to describe what happens than I'll add a little flavor and a little color but I'm only there as a guide. I'm not there to PLAY their characters. In keeping with that theme, however, I reward really creative descriptions and outside-the-box thinking with bonuses or bonus dice to actually pull off the STUNT.

Normally you'd take an action to run and jump onto the railing and surf the bannister like you're in a skateboard park. So you're gonna roll balance if you have acrobatics or gymnastics -- I'll lower the difficulty by a few percent or allow you to make it with a 75 instead of just a 70 since you only intend to "surf" the bannister for a few seconds; it'll cost you another action to Z00M! down the bannister and hurl yourself into the crowd so I'll give you a bonus to your leap-attack or body-tackle strike roll of maybe +1 or +2 -- maybe I'll give you a negative 4 modifier to the actual strike roll but I'll boost the damage roll by two extra dice for being DARING (xp chart). Maybe I'll add a 60% change to knock each patron down to your "body-tackle / bowling-ball" attack. Etc...

Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any suggestions or feedback? I've been using this house rule for a long time and folks seem to enjoy being in some kinda kung-fu / jackie-chan / bruce-willis action-flick John-woo stunt movie scenes -- and NOT just for combat.
There is no spoon.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

PPE Channeling: Lets mages use lower level spells at a single attack per melee.

although I've recently heard there's some sort of 'official' rule that allows that now?
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

1. E-clips have built in regulation circuits, so you don't have to pay someone to recharge them if you have access to a power source (like vehicles...especially if they're nuclear powered). Use whatever you want for recharge rates, but considering that E-clips are capable of extremely fast discharge, they should be capable of relatively fast recharge if you have a big enough power source and appropriately capable leads. A big power source could probably recharge a spent E-clip in about 10 minutes, a medium sized power source could do it in an hour, and smaller man-portable power sources would take between 2 and 8 hours.

2. Kinetic attacks (rail guns, tk machineguns, explosives, etc) do SDC damage to people in MDC armor. 1 SDC for each MD for regular armor. 1 SDC for every 10 MD for power armor. You'll still be bruised, but you'll probably survive if your armor does. Force fields and magic armor (armor of Ithan, etc) do not suffer from this effect. Vehicle operators and giant robot operators ignore this.

Got lots of other tweaks (some subtle, some extreme), but these two rules go a long way to making the game feel less contrived.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Invisibility makes the person transparent to all forms of radiation, so lasers pass harmlessly through them. Thermo or IR goggles will not detect them directly, but if the ambient temperature is significantly above or below body temp, a faint fringe might be detectable where the air is warmed/cooled via conduction. Foot steps may be visible if the character's boots are warmer/cooler than the ground temperature. If not wearing an environmental suit, the character's breath may also be visible.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Crucible
Champion

The Underground wrote:no "1"s during caharatec generation:
if during rolling up your attriubtes you rolled a 1, you had to re-roll.

Sometimes no two's. Another thing is that you roll all eight then place them into attributes how you like them. Sometimes after you roll all eight I will allow you to scrap all of the rolls in favor of trying your hand at re-rolling the eight attribute numbers again.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Character Creation

When rolling up a character use the number of dice based on the characters race.
---A result of 1 on any dice, except bonus die, is rerolled.
---If two stats use the same dice, not including bonuses/deductions, the results of the rolls may be swapped before application of the bonuses/deductions.
--- FEMALES: Unless the species states that the females are generally stronger than the males it tends to be the opposite way. Females can CHOOSE to do everything a male can… except get a female pregnant. However, females are often smarter, able to handle more pain, are more graceful and generally considered more attractive, but are often physically weaker. To represent this if playing a female character the player may CHOOSE to reduce PS, PE and Spd by up to two each for a total of six. These points may be distributed among IQ, ME, PP or PB. This is the ONLY way to trade point for point. NO bonus die roll may be made if qualified for by using this method.
---Roll an additional dice used for the stat if the result is greater than (x+b)-n, where x is the max possible score, n is the number of die rolled and b is any bonus or deductions.
---EXAMPLE: Stat die 7d8+3. If a result greater than (56+3)-7=59-7=(52) is rolled then an additional d8 would be rolled. If the bonus dice =x then roll another die, a total of two bonus die may be rolled.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Sorry but excell doesn't translate well to this, it is four columns
How did you die? level mod book stat mod
Doing something malicious -1 rmb/rue -6
Suicide x.5 rmb/rue -4
Detrimental -2 current -2
My bad (GM's fault) = = 0
Saving someone you like +1 current 2
Saving someone you don't know +2 any played 4
Saving many people x1.5 any 6
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

OVERLY complicated but often in favor of the players... who have to remember to use it since I don't
Fire Arms Rules
Fire Arms
 Can’t be dodged unless the weapon can be seen. It is the weapon not the projectile you dodge.
 Are fast, all dodges are done as straight rolls (no bonuses, unless stated specifically for ranged combat).
 Are loud and move the target in the opposite direction of the impact. Because of this the attacker may be traced by following the noise and the direction from which the shot came.
 Damage caused by a combination of blunt trauma (hydrostatic shock) and piercing. Criticals cause double damage.
 Range reduced to 1/3 underwater. There are several methods to alleviate this problem.
Ion (blaster1, bolt2, beam3)
 May be seen as a sphere1, short beam2 or arc of electricity3.
 Produces a crackling sound while traveling1&2 or a crack of thunder3.
 Is visible and can be tracked back to the attacker 1&2. Is visible but difficult to track to attacker because it happens at the speed of light3.
 Damage is electricity based.20% chance of overloading electrical systems; including force fields (unless description specifically says it’s hardened against this type of attack). On a critical hit vs. a bio system (animal or machine) it does 1.5 damage roll again if a natural 20 is rolled shot equivalent to a death strike, per HtH.
 Can not be used underwater.
Plasma
 Is very hot, it’s extreme leaves behind a “con-trail”. The contrail is easy to spot and track back to the attacker.
 Is very bright, and therefore easy to see as it travels toward the target. +4 to dodge if target is at M or M-.05M where M is the maximum range.
 No matter the size of the weapon the launch is quiet. However since it only damage the side it touches it limits the search area.
 Is contained in a magnetic field called a bottle. When the plasma strikes an electronic device that is not shielded against EMP it as a 5% chance of disabling any component in the immediate area. If 5 or less on a percentile is rolled then roll again on the following table:
 01-40%- A weapon system down
 41-70%- Weapon Systems Down
 71-94%- Power Output 50% (effects everything, speed, built in weapon damage and range, etc.) 95-00%- Complete Shutdown
 *Note: effects are cumulative
 Also due to the magnetic bottle the plasma shot may be redirected by sudden large magnetic anomalies (i.e. a Boom gun firing, some sort of magnetic shield that is the same polarity as the bottle, [select polarity before game]).
 Is a superheated gas. When the plasma strikes a solid object the bottle collapses, releasing the plasma. When released the plasma will act like a fluid and splash. This creates a small splash radius that is 10% of the weapons max damage rounded to the nearest whole number, in feet.
 Damage is surface heat. It will not penetrate anything unless it is completely burned way. Because of this no critical damage is done. On the bright side (no pun intended) the intense heat will cauterize large areas making natural regeneration of the area impossible, unless the creature is immune to fire.
 Can not be used underwater.
Lasers
 Are invisible, so can’t be visually tracked back to the attacker, unless passing through a mass of particulate matter, like smoke.
 Are silent, so can’t be audibly tracked back to the attacker.
 Large “caliber” lasers (i.e. vehicle mounted or ATLs) produce the classic laser sound as their capacitor discharges, but the noise produced can only be heard in the immediate area of the weapon.
 Depending on damage the shot may be traced back in the direction of the hole. If the shot went all the way through then there’s two directions to search.
 Are light therefore they can be reflected. However, different frequencies of light can pass through different reflective mediums. The armors owner chooses a number from 1-10, before combat begins. The attacker must roll this number on a d10 to negate the effectiveness of the reflective /refractive/absorbing armor.
 Are really fast, hmmm a laser travels at the speed of uh…light! Because of this the target is –10 to dodge. If there are any arguments about “I can see the light when it’s fired.” They’re invisible but even if you can that means the beam is already there.
 Damage is piercing heat. It will penetrate armor and flesh, but cauterizes wounds causing no blood loss (causing damage an a half on critical hits.)
 Range reduced to 1/3 underwater unless using a spectrum complimentary to the fluid it is passing through.
Particle Beams
 Fire a laser beam nanoseconds before firing the particle beam. This is done to produce an ionized path for the beam that is clear of particulate matter.
 Are not completely cohesive it has a dense core surrounded by a periphery of less dense particles that were traveling slower, or ran into anomalous particulate matter, and get deflected out of the core. Due to this even a near miss up to 2 points off causes damage at one quarter of the roll.
 Depending on damage the shot may be traced to the attacker. Low damage or a near miss results in tiny micro punctures that can’t be seen. Median damage results in a hole on one side, easy to discern which way the blast came from. High damage causes a clean hole to go through the target making for two possible directions from which the shot could have come.
 Are invisible, so can’t be visually tracked back to the attacker, unless the laser passes through a mass of particulate matter, like smoke.
 Are silent, so can’t be audibly tracked back to the attacker.
 Large “caliber” PB weapons (i.e. vehicle mounted or PBCs) produce an audible energy pulse as the accelerator magnets fire this can only be heard in the immediate area as a low accelerating thrum to a low whine.
 If something manages to alter the course of the laser beam before it’s intended target (without getting hit by the particle beam) the PB will drastically loose range and damage. One half of the remaining range and damage (i.e. if a weapon’s rates are 200’ @ 2D6MD and it’s traveled 150’ already it can only travel an additional 25’ doing 1D6MD).
 Even though PB weapons fire a laser, laser resistant armor does not effect the damage.
 Damage is penetration. The weapon does damage by shoving billions of particles through a body at near light speed thereby creating an equal number of microholes in your flesh. Critical hits cause 2x damage.
 Damage is explosive. Against hardened targets (vehicles & armor) the damage is greater because the metal doesn’t give as much as flesh the impacts actually cause micro explosions. Critical hits cause 4x damage.
 Range reduced to 1/3 underwater. If the lasers spectrum is complimentary to the fluid the range is increased to ½.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

I've got a table for casting spells... but it is a graphic. All incantations take seconds to cast, rituals take hours. For example at first level spells from 1-5 takes 7, 6-10 take 15 and 11-15 take 30 but at fifteenth level spells from 1-14 take 1 and 15th level spells take 7.

Then there is a skill for casters:
Buffing Magic
Spell Mod: This skill allows you to enhance spells. A success allows the caster to apply a number of buffs equal to their level. A critical success means you can use an additional buff per level at no cost a critical failure means the spell fails and all PPE used for the spell is lost.
Base Skill 25%+5%/lvl
• Damage
• Duration
• Range
• PPE mask
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Then I've got a combat system that breaks the melee round into 1 second turns and the attackers number of attacks determine at what second they act. It reduces the rolls for initiative and injects a need for tactics... or I guess since the melee round would be the big picture with the turns being individual "engagements" that tactics would refer to the turns while your over all plan for the round would be strategy... meh unimportant.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

I also developed rules for elemental Bending... yes as in The Last Airbender... but as per rules I can't post them. They however allow for A LOT of flexibility and are primarily based on what effect you want rather than what it looks like, leaving the looks to the player... of course describing a giant tornado tossing a penny five feet, causing no real damage or even a distraction, just leaves the other players looking at the bender like he's an idiot, while minimising the "graphics" compared to effects makes you look either powerful or devious or both. But I did make it so that only people with psychic powers could get it and they lost their psychic powers.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Sorry but excell doesn't translate well to this, it is four columns
Suicide x.5 rmb/rue -4

Try using the 'code' feature:

Code: Select all

How did you die?                level mod        book          stat mod
Doing something malicious       -1               rmb/rue        -6
Suicide                         x.5              rmb/rue       -4
Detrimental                     -2               current       -2
My bad (GM's fault)             =                 =             0
Saving someone you like         +1               current        2
Saving someone you don't know   +2               any played     4
Saving many people              x1.5             any            6

The easiest way to do this is to type out what you want in something like MS Word and use the font Courier New. Then copy/paste it into your post and use the 'code' tags before and after.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Balabanto
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:Character Creation

When rolling up a character use the number of dice based on the characters race.
---If two stats use the same dice, not including bonuses/deductions, the results of the rolls may be swapped before application of the bonuses/deductions.
--- FEMALES: Unless the species states that the females are generally stronger than the males it tends to be the opposite way. Females can CHOOSE to do everything a male can… except get a female pregnant. However, females are often smarter, able to handle more pain, are more graceful and generally considered more attractive, but are often physically weaker. To represent this if playing a female character the player may CHOOSE to reduce PS, PE and Spd by up to two each for a total of six. These points may be distributed among IQ, ME, PP or PB. This is the ONLY way to trade point for point. NO bonus die roll may be made if qualified for by using this method.
---Roll an additional dice used for the stat if the result is greater than (x+b)-n, where x is the max possible score, n is the number of die rolled and b is any bonus or deductions.
---EXAMPLE: Stat die 7d8+3. If a result greater than (56+3)-7=59-7=(52) is rolled then an additional d8 would be rolled. If the bonus dice =x then roll another die, a total of two bonus die may be rolled.

You can't put this in a game, are you kidding me? It may be "accurate" in your mind, but to most women, and some men, this is going to sound like a crock of sexist BS. I really don't care what kind of scientific research you have to support your claims, but you have to be careful about what you say. There are women on this forum. I'm surprised none of them have actually said anything.

Plus, this is ridiculously broken anyway. Who the heck wouldn't play a female character in a system where I could reduce PS by two, easily getting it back with physical skills, and drop that into Physical Prowess? Every RIFTS game would be nothing but a series of B-movie chickfights. Make no mistake, I LIKE B-Movie chickfights, but I do like a little flavor differential every so often?
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

Borgtastic wrote:Yes, the CS will always use more force than necessary.

"Better safe than dead."
"I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six!"
Given their situation, overkill is a must for the CS. :twisted:

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Balabanto wrote:

You can't put this in a game, are you kidding me? It may be "accurate" in your mind, but to most women, and some men, this is going to sound like a crock of sexist BS. I really don't care what kind of scientific research you have to support your claims, but you have to be careful about what you say. There are women on this forum. I'm surprised none of them have actually said anything.

Plus, this is ridiculously broken anyway. Who the heck wouldn't play a female character in a system where I could reduce PS by two, easily getting it back with physical skills, and drop that into Physical Prowess? Every RIFTS game would be nothing but a series of B-movie chickfights. Make no mistake, I LIKE B-Movie chickfights, but I do like a little flavor differential every so often?

People ran AD&D like that for a good long time with people playing female characters in spite of the separate stats for them, and plenty of people go looking to call things sexist when they aren't. There are definite physical and biological differences between men and women, so why wouldn't there be differences in what constitutes peak physical ability? In spite of what Politically Correct fantasy land would like to convince everyone into believing people are not physically and mentally identical and do not have have the same peak potential.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

I like tweaking things during character creation. Especially if the players can come up with an interesting backstory. I find that giving a few extra levels, some better equipments, resources maybe a little tweaking of stats for a good backstory ecourages players to jump into the role and I always reward good roleplaying.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Balabanto wrote:You can't put this in a game, are you kidding me? It may be "accurate" in your mind, but to most women, and some men, this is going to sound like a crock of sexist BS. I really don't care what kind of scientific research you have to support your claims, but you have to be careful about what you say. There are women on this forum. I'm surprised none of them have actually said anything.

I hadn't said anything cuz I didn't think much of it then or now.

I would be ok w/ a trade in PS for PP. Other than that, leave stat-possibilities the same. That's the type of BS thinking I hated in the military. Somehow the scrawny 18 y/o was eligible for front-line combat, where he might well have to hump his wounded buddy &/or gear a long distance, but b/c a woman didn't have a certain body part, she was auto-excluded? There were some gals in my platoon that would give a large number of guys a serious run for their money.

Other than multi-tasking better, I am not aware of mental differences worth a hoot between the genders. As for PE - in good condition, a woman may well outlast a man. We process pain differently, and depending on her start-point, she has body fat reserves to be burned before muscle. Go take a look at several of the gals on "Survivor" - they lasted longer than male counterparts.

I figure PS v PP is much the same as for D&D elves - loss of CON for gain of DEX. I'm all for equality, but with few exceptions a woman cannot match a man for strength... although we tend to do better carrying than lifting, due to physiological differences related to how we evolved. Most men have **** for balance.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Athos wrote:What is your favorite house rule for Rifts? It can be something original or something common, but I am interested to know how others modify the game. Please, one per post...

The GI Joe rule .. (same as the shield house rule where no matter what the damage rolled was .. a PA of 10+ mdc saves the target )

LMAO !!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mack wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Sorry but excell doesn't translate well to this, it is four columns
Suicide x.5 rmb/rue -4

Try using the 'code' feature:

Code: Select all

How did you die?                level mod        book          stat mod
Doing something malicious       -1               rmb/rue        -6
Suicide                         x.5              rmb/rue       -4
Detrimental                     -2               current       -2
My bad (GM's fault)             =                 =             0
Saving someone you like         +1               current        2
Saving someone you don't know   +2               any played     4
Saving many people              x1.5             any            6

The easiest way to do this is to type out what you want in something like MS Word and use the font Courier New. Then copy/paste it into your post and use the 'code' tags before and after.

That is freaking awesome, I never knew that! Thank you. Learned my something new today.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shinitenshi wrote:

Females get to choose this right, you don't force them to follow that do you?

COMPLETELY optional, hence the all caps 'CHOOSE' in my paperwork and my copy and paste job. :-? Is it sexist? Maybe. But considering it is given as an option that could or could not be taken by female characters and not by male I see it as a sexist advantage on the female side.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Balabanto wrote:

:roll: aww too bad, it is a HOUSE rule, don't like it, don't read it. Don't have anything to say except "The U.S. is wayyyy to PC don't say anything that could offend anyone or your evil." then don't say it. If you have some constructive criticizm... go for it just don't expect me or anyone to follow it as criticizm is just someones opinion. As for who wouldn't... people who want to play male characters. Especially since it is only a two point switch! Oh nossss a giant chicken with laser beam eyes... good thing I took a female character and switched those 2 points so I could get a whole plus 1 on PP... oh wait.

THIS IS flavor differential you've been playing vanilla icecream Rifts... I play ∞ flavor gelato Rifts. It has CHOICES :eek: Oh Noooos. Geez suprised you didn't try to pick appart the stat rolling as broken.
Crucible
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Balabanto wrote:

:roll: aww too bad, it is a HOUSE rule, don't like it, don't read it. Don't have anything to say except "The U.S. is wayyyy to PC don't say anything that could offend anyone or your evil." then don't say it. If you have some constructive criticizm... go for it just don't expect me or anyone to follow it as criticizm is just someones opinion. As for who wouldn't... people who want to play male characters. Especially since it is only a two point switch! Oh nossss a giant chicken with laser beam eyes... good thing I took a female character and switched those 2 points so I could get a whole plus 1 on PP... oh wait.

THIS IS flavor differential you've been playing vanilla icecream Rifts... I play ∞ flavor gelato Rifts. It has CHOICES :eek: Oh Noooos. Geez suprised you didn't try to pick appart the stat rolling as broken.

Where are you from?

On another note, its interesting. A woman once asked me if she could reduce her PS by 1d4 and add it into her PP or PE.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shinitenshi wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Balabanto wrote:

People ran AD&D like that for a good long time with people playing female characters in spite of the separate stats for them, and plenty of people go looking to call things sexist when they aren't. There are definite physical and biological differences between men and women, so why wouldn't there be differences in what constitutes peak physical ability? In spite of what Politically Correct fantasy land would like to convince everyone into believing people are not physically and mentally identical and do not have have the same peak potential.

Do you know only weak spindly women? I could leg press more than all the guys in my gym class in high school, and the person that could squat the most in the class was also a female. Sure not all women are strong, but not all men are either. In track even the guys said most of the girls could outrun them, and our girls cross country team beat the men's team. Sure men and women aren't made the same but one of the reasons I role play is to be something I am not, if I was forced to make my character according to stereotypes I wouldn't both playing.

Neither would I, but I like putting the option out there if... wait you aren't making the assumption that only female players, playing female characters can make these choices are you, anyway if you somehow peak out stats but you want your character a little prettier or faster or more agile then I just put the house rule in there so one does not have to ask. Because of course it works the opposite there are indeed women who are uglier, dumber and/or clumsier than men.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Crucible wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Balabanto wrote:

Where are you from?

On another note, its interesting. A woman once asked me if she could reduce her PS by 1d4 and add it into her PP or PE.

Why? Are you wondering if I'm in the U.S.? Or are you asking because of some of the odd terms I may use?

I'm in the U.S., currently residing in King County, Washinton (same county as Seattle).
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shinitenshi wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Shinitenshi wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Balabanto wrote:

Do you know only weak spindly women? I could leg press more than all the guys in my gym class in high school, and the person that could squat the most in the class was also a female. Sure not all women are strong, but not all men are either. In track even the guys said most of the girls could outrun them, and our girls cross country team beat the men's team. Sure men and women aren't made the same but one of the reasons I role play is to be something I am not, if I was forced to make my character according to stereotypes I wouldn't both playing.

Neither would I, but I like putting the option out there if... wait you aren't making the assumption that only female players, playing female characters can make these choices are you, anyway if you somehow peak out stats but you want your character a little prettier or faster or more agile then I just put the house rule in there so one does not have to ask. Because of course it works the opposite there are indeed women who are uglier, dumber and/or clumsier than men.

That's why I asked earlier if it was a mandatory house rule or if you let players decide if they want to use it or not. As an optional rule that I can choose or not, that's cool. Being forced to do it is what I wouldn't like.

Awesome. I guess I could make it the other way for guys who are like... that is no fair. Then make it so:
--- MALES: can CHOOSE to reduce IQ, ME, PP or PB by up to two each for a total of six. These points may be distributed among PS, PE and Spd.

But I made the, sexist, decision that the stats are for the male PC. :)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Balabanto wrote:

Oh yeah... I forgot to go off on the "You can't". Why?! Is it illegal or something? I can be a complete sexist pig saying that males are better at everything or even the other way around in any game I want. If a participant doesn't like it they can leave. They aren't an employee so hostile work area laws don't count and last I checked I am living in America. Even though the PC fascist, commy, twits may have seemed to won in current culture... I can still say all that stuff all I want, I just may be looked down upon or seen as uncultured. I'm used to both, I'm unorthodox and counter culture with modern society so I don't care. I will, I can, and have put the rule into MY game... what are you going to do about it? Arrest me? Foe me? BTW if the part that you think some men would argue over is the pain tollerance... ask a woman about the ring of fire or breast feeding and then ask any wife or honest husband about the husbands reaction to the common cold. A gun shot is nothing, broken arm nothing. Ya know why, we have this lovely thing our body goes through called shock, unfortunatly for some reason it doesn't work that well with childbirth or the little imps deciding they need to chew with their first, rediculously sharp, tooth, on a freaking nipple... puts any purple nerple to shame. Oh plus I fought for my freedom of speech and yours... if your an American, hmm and come to think of it I've joined a brotherhood that has done that for many other nations, to include, Isreal, Brittain, France, any other German Occupied territory during WWII, which gives me a unique right and perspective to exercise my right of free speech. If your a member of the armed forces kudos to you too, but then you should know better than to attempt to trample on people free speech or any other right afforded them by the sacrifice of others and the constitution.

Now with all that being said... how is that rule that you oppose, and a female has applauded, different than ONLY females being Amazons? Well? How about Altarians? I'm sure there are races already in Palladium where there are male/female stats and certain there are races that are only male or female of the race. And all of those have far more destinction between the sexes than 2 points.

Mods: I'm not trying to attack the poster but it may come out that way, I'm trying to defend my house rule which shouldn't need defending... because its a house rule... but apparently others feel that I should or there would be no comment. Please understand, defending rule which I think is in the spirit of this or at least the perview of this discussion. Thank you. I guess I could have made it less abrasive by just stating "I understand your point of view but there is no law or any other restriction that can make me NOT put the rule in any game I run. Please don't tread on my 1st amendment and I won't tread on yours. I served for mine, did you serve for yours? Besides, PB already has "sexist" species with single sex species, no sex species or different stats to emphasize sexual dimorphism which is present with most species. But is abrasiveness against the rules especially when IP is attacked?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

The Underground wrote:
PhellaOne wrote:

"Better safe than dead."

never never NEVER EVER bring a knife to a gun figth.
always alwyas ALWAYS without exception bring a nike to a knife fight.
better make it two, actually.

OVERKILL is UNDERRATED!

I never understood the concept of "a fair fight"

If you're getting into a fight why on earth would you want it fair? You'd want it to be as absolutely unfair as it can be so you don't have a 50% chance of losing. Fair fight? Not if I can help it.

And if you're trying to kill someone, why puss out? If I'm putting foot to ass and trying to KILL Someone I'm going to kill um DEAD! not just a little. Not gently.

Now.. I'm not saying nuke um all form orbit... but yeah.. if I have the choice between a bullet or a plasma rifle. Gimme the Plasma rifle every time. (unless I'm going to eat my target)) See the above about fair fight.

Only morons or the unimaginative get in 'Fair fights'.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
The Underground wrote:
PhellaOne wrote:

"Better safe than dead."

never never NEVER EVER bring a knife to a gun figth.
always alwyas ALWAYS without exception bring a nike to a knife fight.
better make it two, actually.

OVERKILL is UNDERRATED!

I never understood the concept of "a fair fight"

If you're getting into a fight why on earth would you want it fair? You'd want it to be as absolutely unfair as it can be so you don't have a 50% chance of losing. Fair fight? Not if I can help it.

And if you're trying to kill someone, why puss out? If I'm putting foot to ass and trying to KILL Someone I'm going to kill um DEAD! not just a little. Not gently.

Now.. I'm not saying nuke um all form orbit... but yeah.. if I have the choice between a bullet or a plasma rifle. Gimme the Plasma rifle every time. (unless I'm going to eat my target)) See the above about fair fight.

Only morons or the unimaginative get in 'Fair fights'.

So then do you follow the guy rule or is that classified as a fair fight and your first target is a swift kick to the nads, followed by a webing strike to the throat and then an upward palm to the nose finishing with a knee to the groin?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

in rifts, overkill can be extremely expensive and hard to do often depending on whether you use the official rules for the cost of recharging e-clips or not (and depending on what kind of overkill, you still might have similar costs for ammunition especially if "overkill" means "full barrage of missiles" or something like that).

but if we assume readily-replaceable resources, then yeah... overkill all the way :)

Return to “Rifts®”