PF Projects I'm Working On

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

PF Projects I'm Working On

Unread post by Severus Snape »

Ok, so someone out here started a thread for "Has this line been dropped". I could post this in that thread, but I wanted my own thread where I could update everyone on a consistent basis as to where I am sitting with the 2 PF projects I'm trying to write. So, here they are:

Alchemists
I'm trying to write a new sourcebook for those of us who want Alchemists in our campaigns. I won't pull punches here - I hate the original write up in PFRPG main for Alchemists. I'm not a fan of any OCC that's been included in a book with the tag line "Not for use as a PC, but makes a great NPC". Bollocks, I say.

I've got 5 OCCs, with potentially 2 or 3 more. I've got new rituals that I believe are SORELY lacking in PFRPG. I've got what I've come to call "Alchemy Disciplines", which are a combination of existing magic and psionic skills, as well as re-writes of others AND new ones. These are not skills found under OCC Skills or OCC Related Skills, but those additional areas of expertise that make an Alchemist, well, an Alchemist. And the new ones I've come up with are things that I believe should be included in PFRPG.

I'm also diving into areas that haven't been included in previous write-ups, such as stocking the laboratory, things found in the Alchemist's shop, and other various niceties. I don't want to give any spoilers yet as this is still a huge work in progress. The outline has expanded to 7 chapters, and I'm in the middle of chapter 2. Every time I start writing, there's new ideas for stuff I want to include, so I add it to the outline with some notes. If it makes it in, great. If not, I won't kill myself over it. I want to finish the manuscript in the next 2 months so I can submit it, so if I have to write a second supplement, then so be it.

Curse of Sarinaanen
A massive campaign, and those of you who are involved in playing this right now can attest to the monstrosity that this is. This campaign takes place in the Eastern Territory, and involves our heroes locating an ancient artifact and bringing it back to the person who hired them for it. Has elements of research, and a lot of dungeon-crawling and monster-fighting. There will be spots for diplomacy, more research, and...well, I can't give out all the details, can I?

This was supposed to be small enough for inclusion in the Rifter, but I've found that it's size has increased where I would like to see it get it's own book. I have 4 appendices so far, and that's just supplemental material that's needed for the campaign itself - changes to monsters, details about the artifiact, new rituals, and a special surprise for those of faith.

This work actually spawned the Alchemy thing as I kept asking questions that didn't have an answer.

So that's where I'm at right now. I alternate evenings writing between the two, so it's slow going right now. But I am going to get these to PB in the next 2-3 months tops. Unless, of course, Mrs. Snape has me working in the yard. :D
Zamion138
Hero

Re: PF Projects I'm Working On

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Betting you added this already but a lesser occ or a prerequist one could be a " fetcher" or man at arms that is tought how to harvest organs from monsters,demons, dragons...ect. heavy on the monster/demon lore and curing/medical part of removing the organs and bones and such with out loosing the magical compent parts and such, like not discharging demons firery death after slaying them or maybe dragons hearts and brains can get "grounded" some how and dump all their value or most of their value. probaly hired on by both necromancers and alchemists.

and there less combat driven verriety's that go for the herbs,spices,rocks,seeds and such. Plants (for the most part) attack less than greater dragons and demons so hed be more lore and technical bassed. sometimes you need the root of a planet off world to make that potion just sparkle after all. maybe give them a way to D-port home?

alchemist chef? bakes and cooks the magical biscuts you so need...

Necro/alchemist for the potions geared more toward the undead followers and vamps in your unholy ranks of the warhost?

alchemist collector Nothings for sale most things to be bought. kinda like the guy that doesnt make much himself but wants to own all there is to have.

just a few stray thoughts for verriant alchemists.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Severus Snape wrote:Ok, so someone out here started a thread for "Has this line been dropped". I could post this in that thread, but I wanted my own thread where I could update everyone on a consistent basis as to where I am sitting with the 2 PF projects I'm trying to write. So, here they are:

Alchemists
I'm trying to write a new sourcebook for those of us who want Alchemists in our campaigns. I won't pull punches here - I hate the original write up in PFRPG main for Alchemists. I'm not a fan of any OCC that's been included in a book with the tag line "Not for use as a PC, but makes a great NPC". Bollocks, I say.

I've got 5 OCCs, with potentially 2 or 3 more. I've got new rituals that I believe are SORELY lacking in PFRPG. I've got what I've come to call "Alchemy Disciplines", which are a combination of existing magic and psionic skills, as well as re-writes of others AND new ones. These are not skills found under OCC Skills or OCC Related Skills, but those additional areas of expertise that make an Alchemist, well, an Alchemist. And the new ones I've come up with are things that I believe should be included in PFRPG.

I'm also diving into areas that haven't been included in previous write-ups, such as stocking the laboratory, things found in the Alchemist's shop, and other various niceties. I don't want to give any spoilers yet as this is still a huge work in progress. The outline has expanded to 7 chapters, and I'm in the middle of chapter 2. Every time I start writing, there's new ideas for stuff I want to include, so I add it to the outline with some notes. If it makes it in, great. If not, I won't kill myself over it. I want to finish the manuscript in the next 2 months so I can submit it, so if I have to write a second supplement, then so be it.
:D

Love an Alchemist book! The idea of actually expanding a great idea that needed about 10 more pages (just for the base alchemist) is immensely appealing! I also have been rather creative with them, but still prefer them as an NPC- but that is just me, at this point. I can be swayed....
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Zamion138
Hero

zyanitevp wrote:
Severus Snape wrote:Ok, so someone out here started a thread for "Has this line been dropped". I could post this in that thread, but I wanted my own thread where I could update everyone on a consistent basis as to where I am sitting with the 2 PF projects I'm trying to write. So, here they are:

Alchemists

:D

Love an Alchemist book! The idea of actually expanding a great idea that needed about 10 more pages (just for the base alchemist) is immensely appealing! I also have been rather creative with them, but still prefer them as an NPC- but that is just me, at this point. I can be swayed....

people play dragon hatchlings and demie-gods, but a guy thats only slightly tougher on the magic gear making than a Techno-wizard you want to be npc only?
hahahaha id let a player be one. He isnt going to be getting the ingredents for a rune dagger or potion of immortality anytime soon though,more of a long term thing, Id let him have what ever they want if they are willing to work for it....its like letting them find a rune dagger only they have to grovel to a fellow PC on top of having to plunder a castle for the parts, raise enough ppe trap a demon..doing all those things, heck a daggers not a bad pull maybe even too minor of one.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Alchemists

Curse of Sarinaanen
A massive campaign, and those of you who are involved in playing this right now can attest to the monstrosity that this is. This campaign takes place in the Eastern Territory, and involves our heroes locating an ancient artifact and bringing it back to the person who hired them for it. Has elements of research, and a lot of dungeon-crawling and monster-fighting. There will be spots for diplomacy, more research, and...well, I can't give out all the details, can I?

This was supposed to be small enough for inclusion in the Rifter, but I've found that it's size has increased where I would like to see it get it's own book. I have 4 appendices so far, and that's just supplemental material that's needed for the campaign itself - changes to monsters, details about the artifiact, new rituals, and a special surprise for those of faith.

This work actually spawned the Alchemy thing as I kept asking questions that didn't have an answer.

So that's where I'm at right now. I alternate evenings writing between the two, so it's slow going right now. But I am going to get these to PB in the next 2-3 months tops. Unless, of course, Mrs. Snape has me working in the yard. :D

Awesome!!! Best of luck with them!
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

pblackcrow wrote:

Alchemists

Curse of Sarinaanen

Awesome!!! Best of luck with them!

Indeed! Do not get sent to yard too often :wink: you have a mission now.

Re Alchemist
I think that would be perfect for either the Magic books or a Rifter article.

Kind regards
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

UPDATE:

Alchemy is slow-going, but I'm finished with 4 new OCCs. There are still at least 2 more to go (one of which is an idea I'm stealing from this very thread), but I'm almost done with the chapter on the new OCCs.

To put it bluntly, hendrik, this is a manuscript and not a rifter article. At least, I hope it makes it as a book and not a rifter article. I would be disappointed (to say the least) to see the information i'm writing be chopped up into several smaller pieces as it all belongs together.
Zamion138
Hero

Severus Snape wrote:UPDATE:

Alchemy is slow-going, but I'm finished with 4 new OCCs. There are still at least 2 more to go (one of which is an idea I'm stealing from this very thread), but I'm almost done with the chapter on the new OCCs.

To put it bluntly, hendrik, this is a manuscript and not a rifter article. At least, I hope it makes it as a book and not a rifter article. I would be disappointed (to say the least) to see the information i'm writing be chopped up into several smaller pieces as it all belongs together.

Which one did you steal out of curiosity?
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

I'm glad somebody is working on new Palladium Fantasy material! Sounds like interesting stuff!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:I'm glad somebody is working on new Palladium Fantasy material! Sounds like interesting stuff!

Hey, I'm working on new PFRPG stuff (and will be finished to hand in at the POH). Ssshh though.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Severus Snape
Hero

UPDATES

Alchemy
5 OCC's finished, although I don't like how one of them turned out so it's gotta be tweaked. I've got 1 more OCC to finish (the one that I've stolen from here, tentatively called "Demonologist"), and potentially one more beyond that.

I've also got (in the event I haven't mentioned this yet) 3 new rituals completed, and the outline for what I'm calling Alchemy Disciplines (areas of magic/non-magic) that Alchemists could have skill in. Some things are re-writes of existing stuff, some are new. And I've got the 7 total chapters laid out in a working order.

COTS
Stuck in the middle of the thing just before the major traipsing around takes place. After finding the artifact (which is the primary premise of the adventure), but before the next series of major events. And I'm not stuck because I don't know where it's going next - I'm stuck because I haven't had much time to work on this in the last few days.
zyanitevp
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:
Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:I'm glad somebody is working on new Palladium Fantasy material! Sounds like interesting stuff!

Hey, I'm working on new PFRPG stuff (and will be finished to hand in at the POH). Ssshh though.

So, gonna share a little? Severus is...
My Twitter
Image Image
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

zyanitevp wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:

So, gonna share a little? Severus is...

Well Im nearly finished. I wanted to have it finished in time for a July print(or PDF) specifically but with my writing I am sure it would need a lot of rewrites to be of PB's calibre for print. It would be 104-112 size book if its just my words (and all of my words). I wouldnt want to say anything else for fear of that being detrimental to any potential submission success. I will say that the submission is setting info and expands on another part of the world with places (one important city in detail & colour mapped), key people, NPC foes, a totally new O.C.C., a cross over O.C.C. (like the conjurer & necromancer were for e.g.), some specific rule mechanics (for new factors), a few new magic items and H,L & S's. I have tried to make every section and every NPC an adventure catalyst - that was my goal. I will definitely hand it in in person at the POH and intend to run three games based on the H,L & S's from the submission. So to find out you'll have to come to the Open House!....
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Severus Snape
Hero

UPDATE ON COTS:
Finally finished Chapter 5. I'm telling you, this thing is huge. I'm up to the part where the characters get to traipse all over the known world, which is going to be fun for me to write. :twisted:
zyanitevp
Champion

So, reviving this, because I for one really want some new PF material!
Dark Elf, did you finish in time for OH? Did you get any feedback?
Severus Snape, would you please update your 2 projects? According to your timeline, they should have been finished 1 month ago (and if they are not, no more complaining about Palladium's late woes, ha ha)
My Twitter
Image Image
Severus Snape
Hero

UPDATES:

Curse of the Sarinaanen
75% finished writing. Very slow going as I've encountered several problems that I was not entirely prepared for, namely the lack of information on several key locations in the Eastern Territory. I've had to fully flesh out 5 different cities that do not have descriptions in the ET book, and that completely bogged me down. I've also had to design an entire new language, as well as several new spells and rituals. Every time I get to writing the meat and potatoes of the campaign I end up having to take a detour to fill in more information that should be there but isn't. I'm really getting kind of irritated at how empty the ET book really is.

Alchemists
Project ABANDONED. After finishing off the OCCs and pulling information together from several sources, I realized that what I was doing wasn't so much writing a new book but compiling information from several different sources into 1 book. Which means I could not possibly take credit for at least 50% of the manuscript, and therefore would not feel right about sending it in for publishing. I still have all my notes, and if I ever get around to it I will see if I can re-work it so that more of the manuscript would be new material.

As for my late woes...I'm not a full-time PB employee, and therefore have a full-time day job. I cannot focus on this 100% of my time, and in some instances I get zero time at night (for the hour or so I get before bedtime) to work on this. I know I harp on PB for being late with releases, but that is their job - to get books and stuff out. Mine is a data analyst, with maybe some free time on the side to do the things that make me happy.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

zyanitevp wrote:So, reviving this, because I for one really want some new PF material!
Severus Snape, would you please update your 2 projects? According to your timeline, they should have been finished 1 month ago (and if they are not, no more complaining about Palladium's late woes, ha ha)

Nearly but not quite. I did hand in what I had "completed" so far (about 82 pages). I still have the city to finish and four pages of game mechanics (which are REALLY tricky but Im nearly finished on those as I write). I also need to do three examples of Cryptomancy for that section (based on feedback) and I would like to do some "viewpoint narratives" (think Erin tarns letters, Tristine chronicles, chronicler type introductions) for various sections (also based on feedback). Wont be long now.

Good news is Kevin remembered the working piece and his intentions for it should the writing/ideas be decent (big should). So I was pleased. Note to others- that because you dont get feedback clearly doesnt mean Kevin isnt aware of your work. Case in point.

In the meantime Im trying to do more Rifter articles and handed one in (a PFRPG adventure) at the Open House.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Oh, Ive accidentally put a spoiler in there but I'll leave it in. Btw, for the book, like Severus I also had to develop most of a land or two but that has generated enough notes to fill probably a 160 page book (next piece of work???) - and a "world book" on a part of the PF world not yet described in more than a page or two (including two new magic types & OCCs). If the feedback (well, final feedback - the initial feedback will most likely be "rough") is complimentary in the main I would love to continue to expand the "missing" parts of the world. I have sooo many ideas from the 20+ years playing PFRPG!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Grug
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grug »

Severus Snape wrote:Project ABANDONED. After finishing off the OCCs and pulling information together from several sources, I realized that what I was doing wasn't so much writing a new book but compiling information from several different sources into 1 book. Which means I could not possibly take credit for at least 50% of the manuscript, and therefore would not feel right about sending it in for publishing. I still have all my notes, and if I ever get around to it I will see if I can re-work it so that more of the manuscript would be new material..

I was/still working on something that falls into this same category, I think I still might finish it and see if it's something the ambassadors could use.
If you know your enemy and know yourself your victory will not stand in doubt. -Sun Tzu
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -Kosh
Gthomas41571
D-Bee

Unread post by Gthomas41571 »

I've been working ona simular project for a few months now involving alchemy ingredents, such as, which plants grow in what regions and climates, and which ingredents are use in what potions and so forth, I understand you are takeing it to the O.C.C. Class and more, but if you need a plant list with the regions, let me know and I ll type it out for ya and send it to you, if it would help.. I also have a starter kit done already for the alchemist to make. It a O.C.C class... I felt the same about them (being Palladinm) not makeing it an O.C.C. class..
zyanitevp
Champion

Severus Snape wrote:UPDATES:

Curse of the Sarinaanen
75% finished writing. Very slow going as I've encountered several problems that I was not entirely prepared for, namely the lack of information on several key locations in the Eastern Territory. I've had to fully flesh out 5 different cities that do not have descriptions in the ET book, and that completely bogged me down. I've also had to design an entire new language, as well as several new spells and rituals. Every time I get to writing the meat and potatoes of the campaign I end up having to take a detour to fill in more information that should be there but isn't. I'm really getting kind of irritated at how empty the ET book really is.

Alchemists
Project ABANDONED. After finishing off the OCCs and pulling information together from several sources, I realized that what I was doing wasn't so much writing a new book but compiling information from several different sources into 1 book. Which means I could not possibly take credit for at least 50% of the manuscript, and therefore would not feel right about sending it in for publishing. I still have all my notes, and if I ever get around to it I will see if I can re-work it so that more of the manuscript would be new material.

As for my late woes...I'm not a full-time PB employee, and therefore have a full-time day job. I cannot focus on this 100% of my time, and in some instances I get zero time at night (for the hour or so I get before bedtime) to work on this. I know I harp on PB for being late with releases, but that is their job - to get books and stuff out. Mine is a data analyst, with maybe some free time on the side to do the things that make me happy.

I know Snape, and I was just giving you a hard time...
Looking forward to the work!
My Twitter
Image Image
zyanitevp
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:So, reviving this, because I for one really want some new PF material!

Nearly but not quite. I did hand in what I had "completed" so far (about 82 pages). I still have the city to finish and four pages of game mechanics (which are REALLY tricky but Im nearly finished on those as I write). I also need to do three examples of Cryptomancy for that section (based on feedback) and I would like to do some "viewpoint narratives" (think Erin tarns letters, Tristine chronicles, chronicler type introductions) for various sections (also based on feedback). Wont be long now.

Good news is Kevin remembered the working piece and his intentions for it should the writing/ideas be decent (big should). So I was pleased. Note to others- that because you dont get feedback clearly doesnt mean Kevin isnt aware of your work. Case in point.

In the meantime Im trying to do more Rifter articles and handed one in (a PFRPG adventure) at the Open House.

Looking forward to seeing it!! Someone definitely needs to get some of the unfinished areas of PF finished, and would love it to be someone that loves it as much as you do!!
My Twitter
Image Image
zyanitevp
Champion

Gthomas41571 wrote:I've been working ona simular project for a few months now involving alchemy ingredents, such as, which plants grow in what regions and climates, and which ingredents are use in what potions and so forth, I understand you are takeing it to the O.C.C. Class and more, but if you need a plant list with the regions, let me know and I ll type it out for ya and send it to you, if it would help.. I also have a starter kit done already for the alchemist to make. It a O.C.C class... I felt the same about them (being Palladinm) not makeing it an O.C.C. class..

That would actually be great to put in a Rifter.... you should submit!
My Twitter
Image Image
zyanitevp
Champion

Grug wrote:
Severus Snape wrote:Project ABANDONED. After finishing off the OCCs and pulling information together from several sources, I realized that what I was doing wasn't so much writing a new book but compiling information from several different sources into 1 book. Which means I could not possibly take credit for at least 50% of the manuscript, and therefore would not feel right about sending it in for publishing. I still have all my notes, and if I ever get around to it I will see if I can re-work it so that more of the manuscript would be new material..

I was/still working on something that falls into this same category, I think I still might finish it and see if it's something the ambassadors could use.

Grug- We always need good stuff!!
My Twitter
Image Image

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”