Attributes on a Point system.

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Attributes on a Point system.

Unread post by GA »

Low attributes are usually not fun, at least for some players. With this in mind I would like some kind of alternate system that would provide some kind of reasonable maximum and minimum for players based on a 100 point system or 144 system or whatever. I was thinking 144 points and no stat lower than 10 but then I have to worry about the guy who puts the remaining 64 points into PS. Capping at 30 I could do (although i'm not sure if i want to) but then he could go 30 in ps 30 in pe and 4 in something else. I am not sure how i feel about that. Anyway I guess I am asking are their assigned point systems you think work. Maybe 2 points for every stat above 20 and 3 points for every stat above 30? If so how many points should be assigned?
You kill my dog I'ma slay yo cat-Flava Flav, Terminator X to the Edge of Panic, 1988
A man's gotta know his limitations-Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, 1973
No good deed goes unpunished-Clare Booth Luce
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Re: Attributes on a Point system.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

In Palladium characters with low attributes kick ass in other areas.

1 ability of 6 or under: Add 1D4+3 to one ability.
2 abilities of 6 or under: Add 1D4+5 to one other ability and add +3 to a second ability.

At first I filched but now I like the roll system.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Eh those bonuses mentioned only apply to a few newer product lines, Rifts:UE comes to mind but most of the supported product lines do not have such a rule.

Nonetheless, I have no problem with the concept of a point-spend mechanic for developing attribute scores. In fact, I wonder why it should be limited to attributes. The entire idea is to make the characters' more equal, so the points should be used to purchase skills and powers as well. I made such an extensive point-spend system over at Nexus Nine.net some time ago. Nobody liked it because Palladium games are not supposed to level.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I ran an OD&D campaign where you could roll 3D6 straight down the line and start at 2nd level, or you could spend 80 points and start at 1st level.

I am sure you could do something similar with Palladium.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Since Rifts features a nigh infinite range of races with all kinds of oddball stat values, point-buy systems get a little complex. To expedite character generation and eliminate dice-rolling shenanigans in my games, I am having players start with all stats in the low average range for their RCC then upgrade two stats to above average and one to exceptional. So, for a human, this works out to five stats at 9, two at 16, and one at 21 before adding in class and skill bonuses. The player may arrange them in any order, and if the player genuinely wants to have a stat lower for character concept reasons I would be willing to discuss a trade off in the form of bonus experience points for playing the character's weakness.

This method should be easy to adapt to any general stat range you prefer simply by adjusting the starting value up or down and adding another above average or exceptional stat to the mix.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Bill wrote:Since Rifts features a nigh infinite range of races with all kinds of oddball stat values, point-buy systems get a little complex.

Total up all the dice, multiple by 3.5 and give them those points and if there are any +X modifiers, add those modifiers to those stats after the player finishes his allocation.

AKA, if the PS of race is 2D6+9, then the player would have 7 points toward his total point pool and when he his done spreading his points, he can add +9 to PS. Also, the max of a score would be if the dice were 6. So the max points that player could spend on his PS would be 12.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”