Question about the spell telekinesis...

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Question about the spell telekinesis...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

I need a judgement call on the spell telekinesis. Can it be used on multiple objects per casting, as long as the combined weight is not over 60 lbs? Or is it just 1 object per casting?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
tuvermage
Wanderer

Re: Question about the spell telekinesis...

Unread post by tuvermage »

Depends on the level of the caster and if all items in question are in line of sight. House rule is 1 item +1 per 3 levels.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

pblackcrow wrote:I need a judgement call on the spell telekinesis. Can it be used on multiple objects per casting, as long as the combined weight is not over 60 lbs? Or is it just 1 object per casting?

Following the text of the spell (RBoM page 98) the limiter is the total weight.

Even if limited to holding one object at a time, the mage would be able to drop one item and pick up another item w/o recasting the spell so long as the durations has not elapsed.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
pblackcrow
Champion

Anyone else want to chime in on this question?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

pblackcrow wrote:Anyone else want to chime in on this question?

No.
Grug
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grug »

I would say yes, but if the mage is lifting 60 lbs of small debris I would rule that it would only do half the normal damage. As most of the small chunks would miss or do little amount of damage, I would just make the other half of the damage go to the victims armor.
Now the mage could lift six, ten pound weights but could only attack with one at a time.
If you know your enemy and know yourself your victory will not stand in doubt. -Sun Tzu
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -Kosh
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Here is another TK question, it says it gives you +4 to parry (or Dodge?) can you use it to parry in coming attacks without an action or does it just allow you a means of defense no matter what?

And can you add that bonus to anything? Or is it limited to your special TK dodge or parry?
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

pblackcrow wrote:I need a judgement call on the spell telekinesis. Can it be used on multiple objects per casting, as long as the combined weight is not over 60 lbs? Or is it just 1 object per casting?

Greetings and Salutations. I know I'm late (been on a work trip for a month), but I'll add in my thoughts all the same. Telekinesis (spell) can be used on only one object at a time, but multiple items per casting. In other words, you can switch between different items all in the same casting, but you're still limited to them one at a time. Note: I'm using PF2 for this ruling. Since PB mostly uses copy & paste, I expect this to remain true across the lines. But should the wording change, this ruling may need amending.

Bases for the ruling (multiple objects): There is the quote "the magic equivalent of the psychic ability." If we look at the psychic ability, the example shows the psychic moving one object after another. The spell version also uses the "objects" (plural) form often (though this could still imply a singular option and still be grammatically correct due to usage).

Bases for the ruling (one object at a time): We'll start by repeating the psychic quote and reference. Then I'll add in the quote from the spell "Object must be visible." Note the singular usage here. This singular usage does not, in itself, contradict the plural uses.

Hopefully some of that helps.

Akashic Soldier wrote:Here is another TK question, it says it gives you +4 to parry (or Dodge?) can you use it to parry in coming attacks without an action or does it just allow you a means of defense no matter what?

And can you add that bonus to anything? Or is it limited to your special TK dodge or parry?

Again, using my PF2 book (and the spell version). If this wording isn't in a different setting (your setting of choice) please let me know and I'll research the matter more.

First, Telekinesis cannot be used to dodge. TK can be used to parry like a physical object (either by using a literal physical object or "sheer telekinetic force to block an attack" -- quote found under the psionic physical power).

As for the bonuses, that should be a stand alone (which will be at times higher than your hand to hand parry bonus). I'll quote the spell again where it says "physical and skill bonuses to parry do not apply to telekinesis." Since these bonuses do not apply, that leaves Telekinesis as a stand alone (P.P. bonuses are physical bonuses, while hand to hand and weapon proficiencies are skill bonuses).

Okay, I think that should cover it on my end. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
pblackcrow
Champion

Okay...A wizardess is sitting in the middle of a gladiatorial arena's weapons room surrounded by spears, nets, swords, etc.

She has the dukes son, which she is claiming is hers and that the her midwife said, after a truth spell was cast, that a man came to her and told her that a woman had lost her kid after a day of life and the he would pay her handsomely to bring him a baby with sandy blond hair and blue eyes. 8 days earlier the wizardess had given birth to her son.

So far the score is: her 260, the lords men and anyone who messes with her, 0!

She has murder the duke in the middle of the arena when he presented the child to the people at what would have been his son's 1st birthday.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”