~ How Does Your PC group get around Rifts Earth ??

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TechnoGothic
Knight

~ How Does Your PC group get around Rifts Earth ??

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

How Does Your PC group get around Rifts Earth ??

Planes ? Trains ? Automobile ? However ??

Group Vehicles or Individual Vehicles ?

Do they use Rifts ?

Do they Walk ? Naturally Fly ? Run ? Swim ?

Is Traveling SAFE and EASY ? Short Distances under 10 miles ?? Long Distances ??
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Re: ~ How Does Your PC group get around Rifts Earth ??

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

If my PC's don't have a mode of transport they have to deal with stuff like the road turning into a snake and trying to eat them or enchanted forests filled with nature activist werewolves. Needless to say... they go to great lengths to maintain their vehicles (the faster the better). The Ley Line Walker uses his teleport ability to move along Ley Lines to save time as much as he can.

Rifts Earth (when run by me) is a *****. Careless travelers end up D-Bee food or rounded up and sold into Slavery or Executed by the Splynn or the Coalition States.

Whats that old Rifts Earth saying?

"Stick to yer own kind!"

In closing, short distances are normally okay... assuming its somewhere they have been before they can avoid any trouble by making a successful Land Navigation check (or pilot checks to out run it or bypass it.) This is always assuming they take the proper precautions, otherwise they've got to move fast and try to avoid ambushes. If its a long distance travel or venturing into somewhere they've never been they set out knowing full well that ANYTHING could happen. Heck, thanks to a Rifter Article I found one of their villains now has the number 7 as a minion to use in his personal war against them. Welcome to Rifts! 8)

I would generally rule if you are in some sort of large armored vehicle or flying (in a large armored vehicle)most things would not **** with you.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

It depends on how far you're going and whether or not you've been there before.

No matter the distance, if you're familiar with the location, opening a dimensional portal to another dimension and then coming back through a second dimensional portal will put you close to where you want to be much faster than trying to cover the actual distance in between. But it's PPE-costly to do this and comes with its own risks depending on how the GM rules the accuracy of dimensional portals to be.

Teleport:Superior is great for one or two characters, but doesn't scale well to the whole party.

If you're not afraid to be a target above the tree line, flying can be a quick way to cover ground. Much safer if you can fly faster or higher than the typical flying monster, but high tech flying enemies are always a problem since they can typically fly as fast and as high as the characters. In particular, flying near CS territory can be pretty dangerous.

If you can't risk flying, then land navigation with whatever the most convenient means of transportation is the last (and often safest) resort. Hover vehicles are fast over most terrain. Wheeled vehicles are slow unless you've got a decent road. Walking is terribly slow.

But you do what you gotta.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

It depends on the group. My highest level and oldest group travels around in a GB-6 transport vehicle modified by an operator, which they usually cloak with Superior Invisibility and Invisibility to Sensors. It's hard to be attacked if no one knows you're there.

My lowest level groups walk. That's right, they walk, especially those groups that don't have anyone with a vehicle in them.

Trade occasionally occurs between groups that know each other. Weird, but good.

Each group of characters generally needs their own precautions.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Akashic Soldier wrote:If my PC's don't have a mode of transport they have to deal with stuff like the road turning into a snake and trying to eat them or enchanted forests filled with nature activist werewolves. Needless to say... they go to great lengths to maintain their vehicles (the faster the better).

I'm sure that after destroying his bike by using it as a weapon, Jack has to disagree with you about going to lengths to maintain his vehicle :lol: .
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Giant2005 wrote:I'm sure that after destroying his bike by using it as a weapon, Jack has to disagree with you about going to lengths to maintain his vehicle :lol: .

HA!

Good point! He liberated a black SUV from the ninja who stole all of Alfonses stuff and he drives around in that now. :lol:

Poor Mr Pants. I guess he was an evil lunatic.
Last edited by Akashic Soldier on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

A replica of the Partridge Family Bus. :)

http://www.unwinnable.com/wp-content/up ... 12/bus.jpg
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Our group travels in a heavily modified Behemoth Explorer. Our Psi-Tek mechanic made most of the modifications himself from what we've managed to salvage from deserted battlefields.
Later into the game, we'd saved up enough money and favors to have the Behemoth completely refitted with low-end Phase World technology. The GM ruled that Davis-Monthan Air Force Base was only slightly irradiated, and almost a quarter of the mothballed planes were intact. So we sold them and the base's underground facilities to a transdimensional trader in exchange for a complete refit. After that we hired on a Techno-Wizard, and he went and warded the vehicle.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Generally we have a group of hoverbikes, MCs, and 1 APV - if a higer power/richer group we have a hover-APV (based on some in Triax or Triax2, iirc).

And sometimes a partial/full robo horse.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

TechnoGothic wrote:How Does Your PC group get around Rifts Earth ??

I'll usually open the adventure with them in the area they need to be, unless getting to their destination IS the adventure. ;)

TechnoGothic wrote:Planes ? Trains ? Automobile ? However ??

Unless arrangements for travel have been made, they usually take whatever means are at their disposal.

TechnoGothic wrote:Group Vehicles or Individual Vehicles ?

My groups tend to favor individual vehicles.

TechnoGothic wrote:Do they use Rifts ?

Shifters and Rifters sure as hell do.

TechnoGothic wrote:Do they Walk ? Naturally Fly ? Run ? Swim ?

Sometimes if vehicles aren't available.

TechnoGothic wrote:Is Traveling SAFE and EASY ? Short Distances under 10 miles ?? Long Distances ??

Depends on the adventure(s); if most times the action is location based so we just tally the cost of consumables and move on. Even if they deviate, the action can still go down wherever their next stop is (or even on the road as needed). If the journey IS the adventure(s), then it will be an eventful trip to say the least. :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Hoooooooooooooooooooooo boy.
The list of differing vehicles is legion;
1) Power-armours of various types.
2) At least 3 types of APC; Heavily Modified Naruni Explorer / RV (Naruni wave 2), An "alien" stealth contra-grav APC, and a 900 year old multi-tracked landrover. :D
3) Recent addition of a Triax Foarger.

This doesn't include the magical or much more advanced vehicles that are available to the group when they go dimension hopping.

That being said, at the end of the day, it all comes down to Mk-1 foot-power to get the job done ;-)
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

TechnoGothic wrote:How Does Your PC group get around Rifts Earth ??

Planes ? Trains ? Automobile ? However ??

Group Vehicles or Individual Vehicles ?

Do they use Rifts ?

Do they Walk ? Naturally Fly ? Run ? Swim ?

Is Traveling SAFE and EASY ? Short Distances under 10 miles ?? Long Distances ??

It all depends on the campaign/adventure in question.
Typically, vehicles like the Mountaineer ATV and such are used.
On the lower end, we walk or use riding mounts.

In our more powerful campaign, we had a flying longship that had a Circle Of Teleportation in it that we could use to get back to our main base as needed.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I try to focus stories and adventures on a single location as much as possible. That enables me to avoid travel related challenges and cultivate a rich cast of supporting characters. When they do need to move around, I typically use the ATV's and other vehicle options from the core book.
sirkermittsg
Explorer

Unread post by sirkermittsg »

1. Walking - not very fast but you do have allot of encounters and the otential to see lots of stuff to salvage.

2. Riding animals

3. many OCC's start with vehicles or power armor of some sort. many of the vehicles have room for more then one....

4. Theft of the aformentioned items from some one or some place.

5. Salvage running or repaired from battle or finding it somewhere.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

The most generically useful form of convenient transportation is contra-gravity packs.

Relatively silent. No moving parts.

Can run on batteries or E-clips which means a technowizard could probably convert it to run on PPE for almost nothing.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

My most important campaign: T.H.E. Company [Tactical Hazardous Engagements] & Bastard Squad [Each Squad is named after a sword, the group choose their own name]. They tend to travel long distances as part of a large convoy of mercenaries. They have a contract with people Like G.A.W. and use mostly retro-fitted modern vehicles. Travel is generally easy going as they are large enough to intimidate/crush anything small, but smart enough to avoid anything major. Bastard Squad is used to project force outside the convoy. One member has a power armor, the rest ride on a souped up helicopter or the Dune Buggies/Hummers.

When we get back to Rifts, I plan on running a large scale traveling campaign that will take them from the Mid-Western United States to Eastern Europe. There will be lots of pit stops along the way!

Man I can't wait till I get a chance to do that campaign. A genius with TRIAX has made a major break through in Neural Intellegence and wants to defect to Titan Robotics. . . Nothing can possibly go wrong with that set up :twisted:
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

So many big boss atv's we should shoot a video for their sales dept.....
foot travle sucks, when we have a large robot I as a player usaly get some magnetic system to let me stand or sit on its head of shoulders. As a gm I perfer group transports so I don't have the group split up. But everyone having hover cycle is fun too,
the cs scarab cars are pretty good for smaller parties....I always allow for a non military versoin being legal and usaly available.....its not some secret tech in their.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

In Soviet Russia, Rifts Earth gets around you.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Bicycles! They don't need to eat, don't need fuel, and are easy to fix. Also, there's something oddly funny about seeing a group of adventurers riding around the country side on bicycles with armor of ithan.

It certainly beats stealing a Naruni Juggernaut hover tank and then ride around screaming across rifts earth as Repobots give chase. I mean, who would be stupid enough to steal from Trader Joe? :erm:
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

whatever is convenient.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Colt47 wrote:Bicycles! They don't need to eat, don't need fuel, and are easy to fix. Also, there's something oddly funny about seeing a group of adventurers riding around the country side on bicycles with armor of ithan.

It certainly beats stealing a Naruni Juggernaut hover tank and then ride around screaming across rifts earth as Repobots give chase. I mean, who would be stupid enough to steal from Trader Joe? :erm:

Except bicycles can't carry much, have serious terrain limitations, and their power source (the cyclist) does indeed need to eat and rest. Not much of a good choice unless your group travels light (like a magic-focused group that uses magic to make up for much of the gear a tech-based group uses).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Nightmask wrote:
Colt47 wrote:Bicycles! They don't need to eat, don't need fuel, and are easy to fix. Also, there's something oddly funny about seeing a group of adventurers riding around the country side on bicycles with armor of ithan.

Except bicycles can't carry much, have serious terrain limitations, and their power source (the cyclist) does indeed need to eat and rest. Not much of a good choice unless your group travels light (like a magic-focused group that uses magic to make up for much of the gear a tech-based group uses).

Bags of holding work wonders! Well, pseudo bags of holding thanks to magic limitations in Rifts.

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Zamion138
Hero

If you can afford enough magical bags with d-pocket - or d-envalope for the whole party you. Can afford something better than a bike
Nightmask
Palladin

Zamion138 wrote:If you can afford enough magical bags with d-pocket - or d-envalope for the whole party you. Can afford something better than a bike

Unless you're doing the casting yourself, although you should still be able to manage better than bicycles especially for an adventuring party that's been around a while.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Nightmask wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:If you can afford enough magical bags with d-pocket - or d-envalope for the whole party you. Can afford something better than a bike

Unless you're doing the casting yourself, although you should still be able to manage better than bicycles especially for an adventuring party that's been around a while.

You might be right. Now that I think on it, the CS might find it suspicious that a bunch of people in EBA's are riding around on bicycles. I mean, the whole "it's good for your health" thing can only go so far. :-?

Nightmask
Palladin

Colt47 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

You might be right. Now that I think on it, the CS might find it suspicious that a bunch of people in EBA's are riding around on bicycles. I mean, the whole "it's good for your health" thing can only go so far. :-?

I don't think I'd want to be trying to get away from the scene of a battle either, or try to rush to a battle on one. It really doesn't help your maneuverability being limited to foot or bicycle travel, not something to do unless it's a last resort.

Zamion138
Hero

if you can cast D-pocket yourself you can sell those bags for enough scratch to get an mdc hover car with a nuke engine.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Our Groups have seen :

Power Armors as Vehicles (Running or Flight) (SAMAS, Solar-Combat PA, etc...)
Hovercycles are a huge favorite.
FQ Hover-jeep
Naurani Hover-RV. Not sure of the name.
Foot travel aka Walking
Cyborg Jetpacks for the Cyborgs. Most get one so far.
Natural Flight ability. Dragons, Nightbane, Cosmo-knights, etc...
Skycycle. CS or old NEMA skycycles.
Deathwing PA/Jet-hover system platform.
Robot Horses
Horses and Wagons
Motorcycles

FUNNY ... Not once have we had a player want a normal "CAR" or a nuke powered electric car...

Ohh we once used the Hover-Throne from Russia for a vehicle. The Players loved it.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Zamion138
Hero

I cant recal me or any other PC riding a horse oddly enough in any game.....odd, not even robo horses.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Walking or Hovercycle generally.
Teleport or flying sometimes. But Flying is really annoying in Rifts Earth unless you do it by Jet Pack/power Armor way. Is sad that "natural" flight is so slow.
And Teleport, well it had alreayd been explained in this thread, is generally costly. And i don't know why but Kevin always manage to forget to include Teleport(self) spell in Rifts, and no one know why.
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."

Return to “Rifts®”