Is it time time to for the Emperor to die?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

flatline
Knight

Re: Is it time time to for the Emperor to die?

Unread post by flatline »

If the cannon fate of Rifts Earth revolves around the CS, then that fate should NOT be determined by advancing the time-line in new books. The books should place the CS near a tipping point so that the players can determine the fate of the world.

I don't like what they've done with the CS, but "fixing" things in cannon would be cheating the players.

--flatline
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

It is hard to say (and I agree that it is up to the G.M.'s/players to decide) From what I have read his son is worse than he is... Additionally there may be more defectors from the Coalition in the future....
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

flatline wrote:If the cannon fate of Rifts Earth revolves around the CS, then that fate should NOT be determined by advancing the time-line in new books. The books should place the CS near a tipping point so that the players can determine the fate of the world.

I don't like what they've done with the CS, but "fixing" things in cannon would be cheating the players.

--flatline

I agree but I think it is too late to change that aspect of Rifts.
They are already heavily into their meta-plot crap and that meta-plot crap has all been in the CS's favour. They need to cut the CS down a bit and bring the game back into balance before they can even consider abandoning that meta-plot crap and putting things back in the hand of the players.
The CS needs humbled somehow and killing the Emperor seems as good idea as any. I don't really share the belief that Presek Jr. would be doing things any different to his old man though - if he does change things up, it will be more secretive and not blatantly obvious changes like letting DBees in their town.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Bradford will just keep Prosek's head in a jar, then clone him a properly 'godlike' body....Then back to business as usual.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Giant2005
Knight

Ninjabunny wrote:No he shouldn't. Why? This is a boring idea, personally I don't see how this would balance anything. This strikes me as another thread that wishes to force their dislike of the Coalition and what they see as "unbalanced".

You don't see it as a positive development tool?
For a person to grow in character, they need to suffer loss. A nation is no different.
Everybody hates that arrogant pr!ck that has never failed at anything in his life, that has been nurtured to the point that they are a 2-dimensional being who has never had to suffer as we all have. Sure in the early years prior to the setting the CS may have been in a bad way but we weren't a part of that. All we have seen in our timeline is the CS being coddled like a toddler - if we expect them to mature at all, they need to learn about pain.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

FROM THE RIFTS EMERGES ... THE ... ORIGINAL ... EMPERIOR ... OF ... THE ... COALITION STATES ...

(the Rifts 1st Printing Emperior)
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

TechnoGothic wrote:FROM THE RIFTS EMERGES ... THE ... ORIGINAL ... EMPERIOR ... OF ... THE ... COALITION STATES ...

Tromm :D
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

The biggest change Joseph would make would be to get rid of Dr. Bradford. Joseph doesn't trust him as far as he can throw him and Bradford knows it, not that Bradford is worried (Why would a megalomaniacal jerk like him be worried?).
It'd be interesting to see what Joseph would do differently than his father.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
SamBell
Explorer
Comment: What is grief, if not love preserving?

Unread post by SamBell »

I'm my Time I've killed ol' Karl with my Pogtal giant Grümmok, by pulling an Ozzy and biting his head off lol.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61- Colonel Cambell
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Without reading any of the other posts; BOTH Prosseks need to die so that the CS can at least become a somewhat grimey dim-lit beacon of faint hope for Terra.
Joseph is actually WORSE than his father, and would make Stalin, Hitler & Napolean look like saints (I.E.; he is able to [in fluff text canon] make the people believe that the sky is green, gravity is a suggestion and not law and that yes, the sun DOES revolve around the Earth), and would in fact further his father's plans for omnicide & brutal fascism.

The only hope that the Coalition has of coming out of their brutal (and yes EXTREMELY evil ; almost like deamons, what with the killing of innocent children of non human birth etc etc etc) ways and actually UNITING the nations of North America is to consalidate their present holding, rebuild and make overtures of peace as opposed to mindlessly grinding out free thought and (lets face it; it's there to stay for the long haul) psionic & magic use.
And to do that; the Prosseks need to die, along with all the war-cabinet.

...and it has to happen in such a way that they do not become martyrs.

Don't expect Kevin Siembiada to write this up; you saw what happend in S.o.T.
Karl & Joseph have script immunity.
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I'd have no issue with Karl getting offed......though personally I think it would play out better if he stepepd down...."to let the nation move forward into the future on the shoulders of the Nation's future, their children" :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Giant2005 wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:No he shouldn't. Why? This is a boring idea, personally I don't see how this would balance anything. This strikes me as another thread that wishes to force their dislike of the Coalition and what they see as "unbalanced".

For a person to grow in character, they need to suffer loss. A nation is no different.
Everybody hates that arrogant pr!ck that has never failed at anything in his life, that has been nurtured to the point that they are a 2-dimensional being who has never had to suffer as we all have. Sure in the early years prior to the setting the CS may have been in a bad way but we weren't a part of that. All we have seen in our timeline is the CS being coddled like a toddler - if we expect them to mature at all, they need to learn about pain.

TRUTH! :ok:
Though to be fair, the Sorcerors revenge was NASTY! That should have been the "pain that woke up the nation".
Unfortuantely Kevin Siembiada handwaved an entire SECOND army out of phlogestien & fairy dust so that the nearly 75% casulaties suffered made absolutely no impact on the CS effectiveness. :badbad: :nh:

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

jaymz wrote:I'd have no issue with Karl getting offed......though personally I think it would play out better if he stepepd down...."to let the nation move forward into the future on the shoulders of the Nation's future, their children" :D

As written (re; canon fluffy text)?
Not gonna happen.
Or if it does it goes to an entirely worse monster. I see Jospeh like a Geofery Lanister from 'Game of Thrones' (et-al) but with the brains of Tyrion. :demon:

face it; Joesph (as written, again) is one EVIL cold blooded sadistic prat.
It's just he's so damn charming he can get away with it. Sorta like Loki.

Leaves of the lotus rise

TechnoGothic
Knight

TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

TechnoGothic wrote:I want to see cyborgs like this :
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/ ... Police.jpg

;)

Nice looks a little like CS borgs
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

DhAkael wrote:
jaymz wrote:I'd have no issue with Karl getting offed......though personally I think it would play out better if he stepepd down...."to let the nation move forward into the future on the shoulders of the Nation's future, their children" :D

Not gonna happen.
Or if it does it goes to an entirely worse monster. I see Jospeh like a Geofery Lanister from 'Game of Thrones' (et-al) but with the brains of Tyrion. :demon:

Which makes the CS all the more of an enemy and perhaps the enemy that will make people finally band together to finally stop the CS expansion at least. :) That's how I see it.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Giant2005
Knight

Bad Mojo wrote:
jaymz wrote:
DhAkael wrote:

Not gonna happen.

Which makes the CS all the more of an enemy and perhaps the enemy that will make people finally band together to finally stop the CS expansion at least. :) That's how I see it.

The problem is that thanks to the tolkeen war fubar, its pretty much been written that nobody will band together for stupid reasons. If anybody bands together against the CS now, I think all the dead of tolkeen (not to mention the pb fans) would come back as ghosts and scream "NOW?!?! NOW YOU WANT TO BAND TOGETHER?!?!? huh????!?! WERE YOU WHEN IT WOULD HAVE MATTERED?!?!". So, pb pretty much ruined any believable banning together against the CS scenario.

I don't agree with this.
A big reason as to why no-one helped Tolkeen was fear. They didn't want to get involved and become the next target - if the CS moved on to a new target in the near future anyway, it would be hard for them to imagine that they were safe in hoping the CS would stop the forward momentum.
If the CS turned around and attacked something like Lazlo now, I think the entire continent would band together and take the CS down. I think even FQ would turn against the CS.
kogwar
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: "Alea iacta est." The die is cast.

Unread post by kogwar »

Firstly do you really want to kill Emperor and his kids i mean have you not read Julius Caesar when the killed the big bad guy it rilled up the people more i mean look at world war one kill one guy and then they send the entire country on one giant vendetta and if it was a db or a mage or anything that the cs already hate it will give them a rally point for example
*Radio buzzes for a moment until a voice begins to speak slowly but with passion
" Citizens of the Coalition States and all my fellow humans led me your ear. As of march 5th P.a. 109 The Prosek Family was assassinated by (insert group here). We had been warned by our late leader whose wisdom sadly out lived himself...... But his death does not have to be in vain, while our enemies may see us as weak and defeated they are wrong. While lesser men would wait a morn and give in to those that killed our leader, we will strike at those who dared to take our beloved emperor from us... and so in response to this terrible atrocity dealt to us by our enemy we ask all human soldiers from the coalition to those as far as this signal reaches whether you are a avionic, a cyborg, a juicer, a crazy or even a true blue pure blood human, we ask you to join our ranks to avenge the fallen here today. And for a limited time we offer a complete pardon to all escaped animals, mutants and soldiers if you return and serve your country you will be pardoned in full with none of your past crimes held against you. If you serve our great county in these dark hours we will grant you a permanent place in the grand new Coalition states not as out castes or brigands but as equals. Together we can forge our way into a new brighter future and...."
insert large rousing speech call all humans to join the just cause and bam the cs just got a hell of a lot worse i mean as it is they are alot more acsepting of cyborgs juicers and the like even dog boys and psi stalkers and they took some beating i mean there navy is gone and the massive casualties form the war and the fact they are still fighting insurgents i dont see the cs doing anything big for awhile.
“Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.”
― George S. Patton Jr.

Working on: New West Rifter submission

Campaigns:
The Sons Of DustWater campaign
TechnoGothic
Knight

TechnoGothic wrote:FROM THE RIFTS EMERGES ... THE ... ORIGINAL ... EMPERIOR ... OF ... THE ... COALITION STATES ... EMPERIOR TROMM

He Emerges from a Rifts guarded by the CS, Near the Old Chicago Ley Lines.
The CS Soldiers raise their weapons to fire on this man, wearing outdated CS armor.
The CS Soldiers stop look to themselves as if they notice something. The Armor's Helmet bears the Unique design of the Emperior...
The Man removes his Helmet, revealing his face. He speaks "Men, I have returned, Your True Emperior Tromm. Where is that upstart Captain Karl Prosek ? He had the nerve to use a Magical Item on me, which caused me to traped by a Rift Event."
The Soldier Bow to Tromm, finally being able to remember he even exists.

Later ... One of the CS Major Generals approaches Emperior Proseks quarters, and Opens the door. "Sir, Their are reports of Tromm has returned. What do we do ?"
Emperior Prosek drops his wine glass with a shocked look to his face. "Troo..Tromm?" He grabs a locket that he has always worn. "How much to the Men Remember Major General ?"
"Sir, everyone is remembering his identity as soon as they see him from reports." Said the Major General with an angry look.
Prosek sighs "Well, This was Fun, being Emperior while it lasted. Tell Everyone who sided me to back them to leave Chi-Town Now before Tromm awakens the entire city and the whole military. We need to evac asap for our lives Major General. I guess Erin was right after all. That I was never meant to be Emperior of the World. Go Now, We leave in 15 minutes, gather my son and wife too, before they see Tromm themselves."
The Major General seems startled "Sir, We are retreating ? With Tromm's Wife and Child too ?"
Prosek "Yes you idiot, Tromm was responable for my entire family's death, so I took his family as my own. Ohh Tell the Vanguard I'll be coming back to to them and I want my old position back as Leader of the Vanguard. Because we must plot how to remove Tromm once again before MY Wife and Son ever sees him."
Major General "Sir, Yes, Sir. What about Bradford ? He always knew you were not the real emperior."
Prosek "Do nothing, Why else do you think i let him have free reign all these years, he kept my secret and yours."
Major General "Going Sir..." The Major General turns around and exists the room. His steps quicker than they should be. Prosek knows he has less than an hour from the time Tromm emerged from that Rift he banished him to, and used his lock's power to assume his mantle of leadership. Too bad once Tromm returned, Tromm is now immune to the lock's power.
Karl Prosek goes to the north wall of his room, waves his hand, and a secret door opens. Inside the room hundreds of magical artifacts clutter the room. He approaches a Crystal Ball, and gives a verbal command to it. The Crystal Ball glows brightly and humms. "Dunscan, do you hear me, Brother ?" A Voice replies. "Karl ? Is that you, I guess he has returned soon than planned then ? Karl's face shows contempt "Yes you crazy SOB, We are leaving Chi-town. Are you going to meet us at the homstead ? Dunscan's Voice replies "No Karl, I will not. I have done and learned so much with you gone. I have more important things to do now as Leader of the Federation of Magic, as you know." Karl does not react "Karl?you there?". "Yes, Dunscan, I'm still here. Just remember this Tromm knows us BOTH, and the FoM will be his Target once again, not Tolkeen, or Lazo."
The Crystal Ball fades, the spell's duration over. Karls gets dressed, and walks out the romm for the last time. "SON, we are going on a Trip...Where? I heard rumors of a Technological City in Alaska, I want us to personaly see if its true. We'll call it a Sabbatical." END...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

TechnoGothic wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:FROM THE RIFTS EMERGES ... THE ... ORIGINAL ... EMPERIOR ... OF ... THE ... COALITION STATES ... EMPERIOR TROMM

The CS Soldiers raise their weapons to fire on this man, wearing outdated CS armor.
The CS Soldiers stop look to themselves as if they notice something. The Armor's Helmet bears the Unique design of the Emperior...
The Man removes his Helmet, revealing his face. He speaks "Men, I have returned, Your True Emperior Tromm. Where is that upstart Captain Karl Prosek ? He had the nerve to use a Magical Item on me, which caused me to traped by a Rift Event."

Later ... One of the CS Major Generals approaches Emperior Proseks quarters, and Opens the door. "Sir, Their are reports of Tromm has returned. What do we do ?"
Emperior Prosek drops his wine glass with a shocked look to his face. "Troo..Tromm?" He grabs a locket that he has always worn. "How much to the Men Remember Major General ?"
"Sir, everyone is remembering his identity as soon as they see him from reports." Said the Major General with an angry look.
Prosek sighs "Well, This was Fun, being Emperior while it lasted. Tell Everyone who sided me to back them to leave Chi-Town Now before Tromm awakens the entire city and the whole military. We need to evac asap for our lives Major General. I guess Erin was right after all. That I was never meant to be Emperior of the World. Go Now, We leave in 15 minutes, gather my son and wife too, before they see Tromm themselves."
The Major General seems startled "Sir, We are retreating ? With Tromm's Wife and Child too ?"
Prosek "Yes you idiot, Tromm was responable for my entire family's death, so I took his family as my own. Ohh Tell the Vanguard I'll be coming back to to them and I want my old position back as Leader of the Vanguard. Because we must plot how to remove Tromm once again before MY Wife and Son ever sees him."
Major General "Sir, Yes, Sir. What about Bradford ? He always knew you were not the real emperior."
Prosek "Do nothing, Why else do you think i let him have free reign all these years, he kept my secret and yours."
Major General "Going Sir..." The Major General turns around and exists the room. His steps quicker than they should be. Prosek knows he has less than an hour from the time Tromm emerged from that Rift he banished him to, and used his lock's power to assume his mantle of leadership. Too bad once Tromm returned, Tromm is now immune to the lock's power.
Karl Prosek goes to the north wall of his room, waves his hand, and a secret door opens. Inside the room hundreds of magical artifacts clutter the room. He approaches a Crystal Ball, and gives a verbal command to it. The Crystal Ball glows brightly and humms. "Dunscan, do you hear me, Brother ?" A Voice replies. "Karl ? Is that you, I guess he has returned soon than planned then ? Karl's face shows contempt "Yes you crazy SOB, We are leaving Chi-town. Are you going to meet us at the homstead ? Dunscan's Voice replies "No Karl, I will not. I have done and learned so much with you gone. I have more important things to do now as Leader of the Federation of Magic, as you know." Karl does not react "Karl?you there?". "Yes, Dunscan, I'm still here. Just remember this Tromm knows us BOTH, and the FoM will be his Target once again, not Tolkeen, or Lazo."
The Crystal Ball fades, the spell's duration over. Karls gets dressed, and walks out the romm for the last time. "SON, we are going on a Trip...Where? I heard rumors of a Technological City in Alaska, I want us to personaly see if its true. We'll call it a Sabbatical." END...

:ok:

\m/
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by llywelyn »

Not only not going to happen, but going the other way.

By Sourcebook 1, the transfer of power was only a few decades away. After Lone Star, the CS - and especially Prosek - are now looking at 200 year life spans again. You have another century with him.
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Giant2005 wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:No he shouldn't. Why? This is a boring idea, personally I don't see how this would balance anything.
  1. The Ninjabunny is right: it's a boring idea. Players can figure it out themselves if they like. (And they have. All of them have. Over and over and over.)
  2. The Ninjabunny is right: it balances nothing. On the one hand, it hurts the CS not an iota and leaves them every bit of their power. The son is more capable, not less. The army is untouched and in fact benefits from greater fervor for revenge.
  3. It would be nice to rescind the asspull that gave them a modern navy and the typo (?) that gave them 3 million SAMAS. Sadly, can't happen, but a coup doesn't fix it.
  4. They've already set up several intelligent, more-or-less humane military heroes who can and no doubt will serve as the pivots for a coup. They've even given Prosek's wife a backstory for betraying her own husband. ("But Coake... She was distraught... We were forced to comfort her.") Of course, it would be much more poignant (in many ways) for Coake to betray his side for the Coalition, but I don't think they really want to go that way.
  5. By the time a sourcebook comes out for Lazlo, the CS's days will be numbered. Kevin's just setting that up and has been since the RMB. Letting them build up now just makes it all the more "impressive".
Last edited by llywelyn on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Bad Mojo wrote:The problem is that thanks to the tolkeen war fubar, its pretty much been written that nobody will band together for stupid reasons. If anybody bands together against the CS now, I think all the dead of tolkeen (not to mention the pb fans) would come back as ghosts and scream "NOW?!?! NOW YOU WANT TO BAND TOGETHER?!?!? huh????!?! WERE YOU WHEN IT WOULD HAVE MATTERED?!?!". So, pb pretty much ruined any believable banning together against the CS scenario.
I won't.

Tolkeen was always doomed. Always and always.

It shouldn't've taken 20 years. It shouldn't have taken 6 books. It shouldn't have involved free Xiticix hospitality tours. But it was going to happen (unless your GM's campaign personally forced it to go the other way, which it still can, canon be damned).

But Lazlo will always survive. Always and always. (Which of course is part of the reason Tolkeen needed to go: it was completely superfluous except as a sacrificial victim.)

So don't act so hurt and all-capsy, even if you live in Minnesota and liked Tolkeen more for some reason.
CaptKaruthors
Explorer

Unread post by CaptKaruthors »

The CS in it's current form will always be part of the Rifts universe. It offers up good story telling, plot devices, etc. Having them undergo social revolution, etc. isn't very interesting. The only way I'd see that as being a source of interest is if there was some continental threat (like the Splugorth's full invasion of North America) and that d-bees, magic users, et al intervene and come to the aid of the CS because they know that without them, the other races have no chance. Something like that could change the CS perceptions of d-bees, etc. by demonstrating that they are not in fact their enemies...but some outside force is.
kogwar
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: "Alea iacta est." The die is cast.

Unread post by kogwar »

jaymz wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:

Am I missing something or is this just a forum joke.
“Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.”
― George S. Patton Jr.

Working on: New West Rifter submission

Campaigns:
The Sons Of DustWater campaign
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

kogwar wrote:
jaymz wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:

Tromm is now but it is factually the original name of the Emperor of the CS that got changed to Prosek. The name got missed in early printings of the game so not the name is an inside joke so to speak.

\m/
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

jaymz wrote:
kogwar wrote:
jaymz wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:

Tromm is now but it is factually the original name of the Emperor of the CS that got changed to Prosek. The name got missed in early printings of the game so not the name is an inside joke so to speak.

All hail Emperor Tromm

TechnoGothic
Knight

ALL HAIL EMPERIOR TROMM !!
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

TechnoGothic wrote:ALL HAIL EMPERIOR TROMM !!

eh don't know....Tromm always sounded too much like a sex toy name to me....
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

They could have went with Fluoxetine instead of the trade name. Death to the false Emperor!
TechnoGothic
Knight

tromm
Tromm
TROMM
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Return to “Rifts®”