~ REVAMPING the Dragons of RIFTS and PALLADIUM !!??!!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TechnoGothic
Knight

~ REVAMPING the Dragons of RIFTS and PALLADIUM !!??!!

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

REVAMPING the Dragons of RIFTS and PALLADIUM !!??!!

(First i want to say, i love the dragons of Rifts and Palladium)

Do we really need to write up each Dragon Type separately ?
I think we should write up a Simple Dragon RCC Template for all Dragons to follow.
Then take a look at your old RMB, and the Dog Boys RCC. See the Type of Dog section. We could do something like that with Dragons. Giving us simple and easy to use modifications to the Dragon Template. Would allow us to make more Dragon Types easier too. We could be given 19-20 Types of Dragons on just One single page in the book to save space.
Now Look at the Dogboy’s Mutation Abnormality section. We could use something like this for each Dragon too, to explain why and how dragons of the same type can look so different from each other. Making some Smaller, Larger, more armored, less armored, additional picnics or magics, different powers from others of their kind. This could give us a Great Horned Dragon without horns/spikes for some reason to having Frills, maybe even having a Thunder Lizard with Protective Back spines to a hydra with less heads or wings, or Whatever…
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
flatline
Knight

Re: ~ REVAMPING the Dragons of RIFTS and PALLADIUM !!??!!

Unread post by flatline »

Give it a try with five dragons and see if you can keep it easy to read and easy to understand. If it works, add some more dragons and see if the format stays easy to understand as you scale it up.

--flatline
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I have been in discussions with another freelancer to work on a small sourcebook specific to Rifts Dragons that I think would be really helpful.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
TechnoGothic
Knight

I had all the Dragons worked up like this awhile back. Lost the Data when my portable HD melted down, for real. It started to smoke, and fire came out of it. Dang Lightning Storms.

It looked really really good too. Simple and short. Adding variety to the known dragons.
I had the 13 Palladium Dragons listed, the 6 RUE dragons, the 3 Japanese, the 1 Canada, the 1 Psyscape, the 1 CS-Navy. Thats 25 Dragons printed so far. I even added a slot for Unknown Dragon Type to cover the weird NPCs found in several books of an unknown dragon type.

Guess I'm going to get around to retypeing it up one day though. geeze i'm lazy though. :D
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
TechnoGothic
Knight

The Galactus Kid wrote:I have been in discussions with another freelancer to work on a small sourcebook specific to Rifts Dragons that I think would be really helpful.

I'd like to have a 200 page book on Dragons myself.

The Basics of Dragons can cover 50 to 70 pages easily.
The rest can be used to explain how Dragon's work, like their Metamorph ablity in better details for one.
If Dragons dislike/hates each other so much, why do they write up say they get along well with other dragons for some reason ? Explain why the text clashes with each other better.
Adventure Ideas for Dragons characters in All Dragon Groups or in a mixed group of characters.

And so much more could be explained to be honest.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

SAMASzero
Explorer

Unread post by SAMASzero »

The Galactus Kid wrote:I have been in discussions with another freelancer to work on a small sourcebook specific to Rifts Dragons that I think would be really helpful.

If you can add a new species, how about an armored dragon that can fly supersonically.

Also, don't forget a section about Dragons in space.
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Be sure to mention the imoogi. :)

Sorry, I watched D-Wars the other day.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

TechnoGothic wrote:REVAMPING the Dragons of RIFTS and PALLADIUM !!??!!

I think we should write up a Simple Dragon RCC Template for all Dragons to follow.
Then take a look at your old RMB, and the Dog Boys RCC. See the Type of Dog section. We could do something like that with Dragons. Giving us simple and easy to use modifications to the Dragon Template. Would allow us to make more Dragon Types easier too. We could be given 19-20 Types of Dragons on just One single page in the book to save space.
Now Look at the Dogboy’s Mutation Abnormality section. We could use something like this for each Dragon too, to explain why and how dragons of the same type can look so different from each other. Making some Smaller, Larger, more armored, less armored, additional picnics or magics, different powers from others of their kind. This could give us a Great Horned Dragon without horns/spikes for some reason to having Frills, maybe even having a Thunder Lizard with Protective Back spines to a hydra with less heads or wings, or Whatever…
That's actually a pretty damned good idea!

flatline wrote:Give it a try with five dragons and see if you can keep it easy to read and easy to understand. If it works, add some more dragons and see if the format stays easy to understand as you scale it up.

--flatline
Hey...it works with Palladium's Gigantes, and with the Splicer's War Mounts (not to mention the construction of Host Armor).

So why not with Dragons??

:-?
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I like the non-RUE dragons as they are. The RUE dragons are too munchy, and non-dragonish.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I agree that this is a good idea. I like the 'unknown dragon' option best. :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
TechnoGothic
Knight

yeah i like the unknown dragon type myself. allows you do something different if you wish.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Could be a great Rifter article as well!
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

Am I the only one here that believes that the Dragon(s) Breath Weapon(S) are way too underpowered for the setting???
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by llywelyn »

FreelancerMar wrote:Am I the only one here that believes that the Dragon(s) Breath Weapon(S) are way too underpowered for the setting???
Yes. There's been enough power creep & munching as is.

Obv. wd make a good Rifter article. I personally wd rather see China 3 or Rifter artcle with some Chinese dragons - yknow, the ones with a legitimate claim to actually having different kinds of dragons - than a completely needless, recycle-heavy sourcebook & almost certainly wdn't buy it... but hey, it'd certainly be cheap to produce & if you think the market's there, go for it. Ideally, flesh out some territory though, whether Greece or Turkey or Dragon Planet 17469/3.
Last edited by llywelyn on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

I think the breath weapons are fine as is.

flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

FreelancerMar wrote:Am I the only one here that believes that the Dragon(s) Breath Weapon(S) are way too underpowered for the setting???

Adult breath weapons should do more damage and I also think that a dragon should be able to pump PPE into their breath weapons similar to a cosmo knight.

--flatline
TechnoGothic
Knight

Hatchling Damages are fine.
Adults need to do x2 damage more than a hatchling does.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

I guess Ive watched too many Godzilla Movies. You know the ones where you see his breath weapon Literally melt tanks, etc... In a Rifts Enviornment I myself would give a dragons breath weapon X10 damage as it should be at least for adult dragons.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

TechnoGothic wrote:REVAMPING the Dragons of RIFTS and PALLADIUM !!??!!

Why not keep the dragons as they are... part of the dragons is the fluff. Then come up with a new race that is caused by dragons having lived on Rifts Earth their entire life and then having a clutch themselves. Because of the increased magic energy the dragons absorbed throughout their lives and because dragons are basically magic personified (creature of magic) on RE their own hatchlings are genetically unstable (if dragons have organic DNA and not some magic version). The new dragons are like the giant race (whose name escapes me right now) or Nightspawn with random features and abilities. The original RMB & RUE dragons need to be kept special but at the same time all of them should be deconstructed, base stats figured out and then everything put together into tables from head type to tail type. Limbs, legs?, wings?, neck length, body type, body weapons, special powers. I think setting them up like the Nightspawn would be a lot more fun than the giant. But each of the original dragons needs to be so high in something that the "Nightdrake"... "Drakespawn" (never mind McFarlane would probably try suing for that one too :nh:) could approach them.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Rifts®”