Hyperdensity ?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

magictiger
Explorer

Hyperdensity ?

Unread post by magictiger »

Hi guys,
I like to know how Hyperdensity works especially after I read some other things on here about it.

1. Under this powers description it says a character with this power cannot move, but I read somewhere on this forum about characters using speed powers with this power. How does that work? I assume it doesn't work like that. See 2b below.

2a. It also says that a character with this power can't fight or use mind powers. What does it mean by mind powers? I assume 'mostly' psionics in some cases. I don't recall that many super abilities that deal with the mind at the moment.

2b. Is it possible for him/her to use any powers at all? It says it uses up 'ALL' attacks for the melee rounds while using this power. No attacks per melee tells me he can only stand there like a statue. He can't attack or use powers.

3. I also seen somewhere on here, that someone used this power on a super invention. At first I thought that wasn't possible until I looked it up under super inventions. But this person (sorry don't know who you are) put it on a weapon I guess to make it (weapon) indestructible. From the description of this power it wouldn't do that. It only makes the character nearly invulnerable. Or am I missing something here?

Thank you guys.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Hyperdensity ?

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

1. It wouldn't work. The book is fairly clear on the character's immobility.

2a. I would think that this means psionics, powers like mental stun, and any mental action that uses up attacks per melee.

2b. Powers which don't require any actions to use would still be available, except for those whose effects would be inapplicable (e.g. healing factor,

3. You could make a super invention that employs hyperdensity to render the device indestructible, but the limitations of the power still apply, i.e. the power takes up all the operator's attacks, and only lasts one minute for each level of the device.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Hmmmm, well it's possible you could use a power like a speed power to launch yourself at a target then trigger the hyper-density so that you become an indestructible projectile that'll plow into a target for some major damage.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1. Under this powers description it says a character with this power cannot move, but I read somewhere on this forum about characters using speed powers with this power. How does that work? Everything with in the char does not move in relation to each other.

2a. It also says that a character with this power can't fight or use mind powers. What does it mean by mind powers? mind powers psi powers and those that just take a thought to do.

2b. Is it possible for him/her to use any powers at all? None what so ever. However, I can see two possible sidesteps in astral projection and the chi power mind walk.

3. I also seen somewhere on here, that someone used this power on a super invention. At first I thought that wasn't possible until I looked it up under super inventions. But this person (sorry don't know who you are) put it on a weapon I guess to make it (weapon) indestructible. From the description of this power it wouldn't do that. It only makes the character nearly invulnerable. Or am I missing something here?
*grins maniacally* Nice idea... get armor that is basically quantum armor within the rules.
"MoleDiver's Machinegal Dolls's armor"(late in the series)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

As far as using hyperdensity in a super invention...yes, it can be done. You'd end up having a solid piece of (almost) indestructible material that you could swing at someone.

In the case of armor (thanks DK for the idea), you'd have to have multiple, individual pieces with hyperdensity on them, connected with flexible joint material. It could be done, but you'd have to work out something with the GM as to how damage is done to the joints (called shot, normal shot above AR, how do targeting powers work, etc.).
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Severus Snape wrote:As far as using hyperdensity in a super invention...yes, it can be done. You'd end up having a solid piece of (almost) indestructible material that you could swing at someone.

In the case of armor (thanks DK for the idea), you'd have to have multiple, individual pieces with hyperdensity on them, connected with flexible joint material. It could be done, but you'd have to work out something with the GM as to how damage is done to the joints (called shot, normal shot above AR, how do targeting powers work, etc.).

That reminds me of a short story I once read, where a 'novelty' device sold as a perfect sound-proofing agent as once it was turned on it ceased all molecular motion in the object until turned off. Soon people started using it to turn vehicles into indestructible tanks for robberies, creating unbreakable blockades, and even micro-nukes since you could put any nuclear material inside trigger it and because all radiation had to reflect back inside eventually it would convert everything inside to pure energy so when shut down it was like a total conversion bomb. Ironically the story was bracketed by a college professor who starts out whining about how staid and without growth the world was then whining about how much the world was changing after the device's influence began taking hold.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Amberjack
Explorer

Unread post by Amberjack »

I have a question also, would a falling character be able to use Hyperdensity to survive a fall and/or us as an attack by falling on someone or something.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Amberjack wrote:I have a question also, would a falling character be able to use Hyperdensity to survive a fall and/or us as an attack by falling on someone or something.

yes
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”