Playing with one Player?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: Playing with one Player?

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I run a one on one adventure with a "spin off" character my brother plays. It can seem a little weird at times.

He is a well established player though.

I dont treat it any differently but be ready for the surprises!

As your player is new I would recommend an OCC with some ability choices or some obvious role playing quirks. In all honesty DR doesnt lend itself to either of those as much as the other lines. I would maybe try a different game first (PF, ATB or HU).

I would include an NPC but on an equal par. You can make suggestions but the player has total freedom (and as a new player that is important to see the potential and fun of a P "n" P RPG as opposed to video games). When the NPC is not needed anymore have them turn and attack as a zombie.

I wrote a PFRPG one person adventure as a short introductory game for folks new to the system/PF line. I'll have to write it up for the Rifter.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

willus772 wrote:Ive looked at some other games, but in the interest of the player I'd like to stick with a modern day zombie game and the only system Ive played is dead reign. I dont want to learn a new system while trying to teach it to somebody else. Ive actually been thinking about adding some mystery elements to the game in order to keep it fun for one player. The bonus of using one player is that its going to make it a bit more difficult to fight the zombies, and he may end up running more that fighting, lol. In the past Ive played with seasoned gamers who could take anything I could throw at them, lol. so I think this may end up being a cool experience. If I do go the mystery route does anybody have any idea where I can find some information on how to run that kind of game? I've tried to play some Cthulu games before but they have always ended up just like any game--with the players fighting everything, lol.

Try the BTS forums. Both DR and BTS are more about the action and less about the fighting. DR is supposed to be less about fighting (IMO). Ofc, the megaversal system and PB are more about storytelling than other RPGs or so it goes.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

My gaming group consists of my wife. I always run single player mods for all games, Rifts, Palladium, Shadowrun, D&D and even Dead Reign. I can tell you though, that Dead Reign is very unforgiving. Your single player will have to understand that this is not a fun game where you shoot zombies. It's a game where you run away from everything. As long as they get that much, they'll be fine. When I ran this for my wife though, I made an NPC to run around with her, or had people dip in and out of her company on rough parts, but mostly, she runs away.
ZombieSlayer01
D-Bee

Unread post by ZombieSlayer01 »

Ok im in the same boat here im a begining GM and im trying to run my first Dead Reign game and my friend is playing as a helicopter pilot with his elective skills as lockpicks, salvage, sighnlanguage, general repair, W.P handguns and staff weapons.
IQ 9
ME 4
MA 12
PS 14
PP 14
PE 14
PB 13
SPD 8
Secondary skills are first aid, W.P shotgun, basic hand to hand, S.C.U.B.A, rope works
ZS01
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

one on one adventures can be fun, could start on one side of the country and have him try to travel back to his family , running into people(npcs) along the way.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

sounds like a great idea a lone hero vs a zombie world everybody he meets(npc's) ends up getting eaten or becoming a zombie. good stuff i tell ya
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Rappanui wrote:Although not a zombie movie, The movie with vigo mortissen and i think it's called.. " the End?" ... where he goes around a post apocalypse earth trying to get his son to some sort of human shelter where it's not full of wackos. ... is a great introduction for a Single player DR Campaign.
this really becomes more of a plot based game, as a gm you will need to pre-coordinate Npcs that he will want to be friends with, and those he shouldn't have.

It was called "The Road". Good flick!

More to the point I suggest adding some mystery. Build the story slowly at first. Let the player connect the dots for his/her self. Then unleash your final wild card. Don't forget that sometimes the player will need to find the basics such as, food, water, and equipment to progress through the game. Jacking a car from a graveyard, or raiding a grocery store would be really challenging for one player.
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

Start your campaign with just the one person, but keep a lookout for other players who are interested. When they have rolled up their chars, put them in the same gameworld, but a diffrent area than the first player. Let them play until they find each other. I have played in a six player "group" like this and it is pretty fun.
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
robertbc73

Unread post by robertbc73 »

Rappanui wrote:Although not a zombie movie, The movie with vigo mortissen and i think it's called.. " the End?" ... where he goes around a post apocalypse earth trying to get his son to some sort of human shelter where it's not full of wackos. ... is a great introduction for a Single player DR Campaign.
this really becomes more of a plot based game, as a gm you will need to pre-coordinate Npcs that he will want to be friends with, and those he shouldn't have.

The Road
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

For NPCs I suggest a child.

This makes it so you hopefully won't steal the char's fun, but the child is free to tell the PC they aren't doing something smart. They can be an extra set of hands to open/bar doors, or an extra attack where needed, an extra set of eyes & ears to keep away from the Zee's. It makes a big difference! If the char gets sick the NPC can take care of them, in 'better times' keeps them company & keeps their spirits up or gives them a reason to live, etc.

I personally don't see any problem with a 1PC game, even in such a dangerous world as Dead Reign.
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

I have run many "single player" side games within the larger game of Dead Reign.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
robertbc73

Unread post by robertbc73 »

Josh Hilden wrote:I have run many "single player" side games within the larger game of Dead Reign.

Thats a good idea. Like games inside a game.
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

robertbc73 wrote:
Josh Hilden wrote:I have run many "single player" side games within the larger game of Dead Reign.

Thats a good idea. Like games inside a game.

A lot of chances to split the group up and a good way to bring new players into the world before joining them to the main group.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Actually DR is great as a Single Player system. Just fix the Zombies first and you have no problems. I've run tons of single player sessions.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!

Return to “Dead Reign™”