Do Lizard Men Breathe underwater or Hold breathe ?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Amberjack
Explorer

Do Lizard Men Breathe underwater or Hold breathe ?

Unread post by Amberjack »

Hi everyone, I was just reading about Lizard men in Monsters & Animals and realized under natural abilities it says that they can Breathe Underwater, and in same sentence states that they can hold breathe underwater for 1D4+3 minutes. Which is it? :?
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: Do Lizard Men Breathe underwater or Hold breathe ?

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Don't know.

I will go with the hold breath option.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Smashed wrote:I would go for the breathe underwater option, as their write-ups in the other game lines support that option (In Rifts conversion book, and Rifts South America One).

Yeah, that's in both CBs, so I'd go with that as well.
Amberjack
Explorer

Unread post by Amberjack »

Thanks all. I was leaning to breathe underwater myself. Maybe just hold breathe to get through/bypass polluted water.'
Once again thanks for the input.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Just to include some additional information for you, pre-Second Edition Monsters & Animal books (both 1st Edition and Revised) have Lizard Men listed with only the ability to breathe underwater (holding breath wasn't listed). Now that information itself doesn't really answer much and there are a few ways to take it (that I can see) ...

1: Second Edition changed things. The Lizard Man ability is now only Hold Breath, and an editing mistake left in Breathe Underwater but should have been removed.

2: There's no change. The inclusion of holding breath is an editing mistake and shouldn't be there (how it got there at all remains a mystery).

3: Second Edition just added additional abilities. They can breathe underwater, but in toxic environments (such as toxic gas, polluted water, planet without air, etc.) they also have enhanced abilities to hold their breath.

Personally, I favor #3. However, I just wanted to include additional information for you. Anyways, I think that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

I agree with Prysus' #3 statement. These seem to be two separate abilities:
1: They can breathe underwater.
AND
2: If exposed to a gas-attack, or similar, they can hold their breath.

Sort of like me:
1: I can breathe air.
2: If exposed to a gas-attack, or similar, I can hold my breath (like on taco-night).

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”