LAzy Game Master Day (Talisman Spell)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

LAzy Game Master Day (Talisman Spell)

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

I've been stating out a lot of NPCs and doing a lot of recreational writing and its cutting into my professional time so I thought I'd see if someone was willing to do a little work for me, its easy as hell just some quick math and book digging.

How much would/should it cost for a Talisman that is JUST a P.P.E. battery (or are there P.P.E. batteries listed somewhere else and I just can't find them)?

Thanks Guys!
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Re: LAzy Game Master Day (Talisman Spell)

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

The Empire of the Sun Sells Containers with Energy Jar Line drawing on them for 50-100 credits per P.P.E. point stored.. this is the rule of thumb we use at out table
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

500PPE to create

A talisman can be used for one purpose other than spells. The mage
can elect to make it a potential psychic energy battery. Instead of spells,
the mystic can put up to 50 P.P.E. into it initially and recharge it with
30 P.P.E. at the cost of 60. The talisman can then be used at a later
time to bolster the character's normal P.P.E. reserve. A P.P.E. battery
can never hold spells.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i rather wish the spell allowed you to store more than 50ppe per talisman.. given how much PPE you have to spend to make it, being only able to fuel low level spells of one seems a bit off.

but it was up to 500PPE, and the PPE put into it was on top of the cost for the spell (so to make a fully charged one at casting would take 1000ppe..), and it would be much more useful.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Prices would be subject to any number of socio-economic factors, but...

VK 79 tells us that Maliki's Curio Shop will cast a selection of spells for a price, generally CR 1000 per level of the spell, with up to an extra 50% charge for a "difficulty fee."

As a 13th level spell, if you assume similar pricing, that's CR 13,000, plus a possible fee of up to CR 6,500, for costs of up to CR 19,500 in a similar market.
Also, considering the prices at Maliki's are for single-castings of spells with a limited duration, and Talismans are permanent magical items (more or less), I could see additional fees on top of that.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Akashic Soldier
Knight

paxmiles wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:I've been stating out a lot of NPCs and doing a lot of recreational writing and its cutting into my professional time so I thought I'd see if someone was willing to do a little work for me, its easy as hell just some quick math and book digging.

How much would/should it cost for a Talisman that is JUST a P.P.E. battery (or are there P.P.E. batteries listed somewhere else and I just can't find them)?

Thanks Guys!

The smaller and more portable, the more expensive. Likewise, the more PPE stored, the more expensive. Also, does it re-charge or a one-time thing?

50-100 credits per PPE sounds about right, but that's for a peanut butter jar sized object. Probably not rechargeable, or does recharge, but not on its own.

Maybe 3 times as much if you make it into a pendent or earing or something else that is low in weight and easy to conceal.

3 times again if it recharges on it's own (could be at sunrise, or rate per hour, or weekly, or when exposed to a ley line, or something else).

Another 4 times if it isn't detectable as a magic item without close inspection.
-Pax

I'd just assumed it worked like a 3 to 1 ratio as it mentioned in the Techno-Wizardry rules.

I think 50-100 cr. per point of P.P.E. is reasonable if they are already marketed somewhere else for that value. I'll likely pitch them as difficult to get your hands on because the Magic community is controlled by its own and are just "out of stock" for new comers and people they don't like or trust. I think I'll be selling them at a 75 cr. per P.P.E. and make sure they are no larger than 50 P.P.E.

Next Question...

The reason I had considered them is because one of my players is playing a Conjuror in an up and coming game session and I thought it would help him create scrolls (since they pretty much lack the P.P.E. to do it since they cannot draw additional P.P.E. from ley lines or perform rituals) but its on their spell list. So the question becomes... would a Conjuror be able to use P.P.E. batteries? I think so but I am on the fence about it.

Also, were there any revisions made to the Conjuror O.C.C. when Federation of Magic was updated? An increased P.P.E. pool perhaps?
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

paxmiles wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:Next Question...

The reason I had considered them is because one of my players is playing a Conjuror in an up and coming game session and I thought it would help him create scrolls (since they pretty much lack the P.P.E. to do it since they cannot draw additional P.P.E. from ley lines or perform rituals) but its on their spell list. So the question becomes... would a Conjuror be able to use P.P.E. batteries? I think so but I am on the fence about it.

Also, were there any revisions made to the Conjuror O.C.C. when Federation of Magic was updated? An increased P.P.E. pool perhaps?

Checked the Federation Book, but it doesn't say this. It says they can't draw PPE from people or rituals, but can use ley lines as per the ley line walker. Page 85, "5.PPE"

It does say that conjurers can't learn additional spells. That's under "2. Limited Spell Knowledge" Actually one of the biggest features that makes me not want to play a conjurer. Still, he has merit for being able to conjure up the material you need against supernatural opponents (wooden stakes, silver sword, so forth).
-Pax

Yeah but they can learn spells with "Create" in the title (or did they get rid of that?)

Return to “Rifts®”