How does literacy and talking work anyway?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dobergirl
Wanderer

How does literacy and talking work anyway?

Unread post by Dobergirl »

This is something I got in talk with one of my longterm players recently. How does the language and literacy skills come to play anyway and how does rolling them affect? Like if I roll bellow talking it'd be like "So I was walkin... MPH.... MMMPH!!!" ? For text, I can guess it means not really understanding the written document or not being able to translate if another language, and unable to understand/speak the other language when talking to a person who's native speaker of that language. That is how we've handled things before, however how do you apply the rules to your native language? Should I reward the player 20 points each time they speak because they're using the skill of talking? (Could act as means to moralize the players to be converse more and maybe lead to more drama and conflicts)
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: How does literacy and talking work anyway?

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Routine uses of language and literacy shouldn't require skill rolls or earn experience, and merely speaking to someone or reading a book should be considered automatic abilities.

Tasks which would require skill rolls (and which may earn experience if the task is significant to the game) might include:

• Understanding someone who speaks your language but with a difficult accent
  • Speaking or understanding an unusual dialect of your language (including pidgins and creoles)
  • Speaking or understanding an archaic or extinct form of your language*
  • Translating speech or text between multiple languages
  • Attempting to read a text written for individuals of a higher educational level than your own
  • Attempting to express complex or esoteric ideas in a language other than your native one

Another suggestion commonly offered on the boards is to assume that the skill percentage equates to one's overall vocabulary and knowledge of a given language. For example, if you speak German at 52%, then you'll understand about 52% of the German that you're exposed to.

[sub]* Technically, these are considered entirely separate languages, but I think it is reasonable that characters should be able to attempt to understand languages that are similar to their own without necessarily having to spend a skill on it. Arguably, this should also apply to languages that are closely related to one another, such as French and Spanish.[/sub]
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

What your character is thinking: "So I was walking to the supermarket..."
What your character says with 50% skill (and a failed roll): "Was walking to... to... what is word..."
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

Only reasons to roll for speaking would be if it is a big public speech.

Reading rolls are to retain knowledge or pick up clues in written form.

Other than that I see no need to really roll unless it is a secondary language and the players are in that country but even then it would depend on the players skill % I would say.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LeeNapier »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Routine uses of language and literacy shouldn't require skill rolls or earn experience, and merely speaking to someone or reading a book should be considered automatic abilities.

Tasks which would require skill rolls (and which may earn experience if the task is significant to the game) might include:

• Speaking or understanding an unusual dialect of your language (including pidgins and creoles)
  • Attempting to read a text written for individuals of a higher educational level than your own
  • Attempting to express complex or esoteric ideas in a language other than your native one

Another suggestion commonly offered on the boards is to assume that the skill percentage equates to one's overall vocabulary and knowledge of a given language. For example, if you speak German at 52%, then you'll understand about 52% of the German that you're exposed to.

[sub]* Technically, these are considered entirely separate languages, but I think it is reasonable that characters should be able to attempt to understand languages that are similar to their own without necessarily having to spend a skill on it. Arguably, this should also apply to languages that are closely related to one another, such as French and Spanish.[/sub]

THIS. Think about Shakespeare. Technically, Shakespeare's plays are written in Modern English (not Old English, as many like to believe. Old English is a completely different language). Because the language is complex and archaic, a skill check is needed to read it, even though it's written in the language you speak every day.

I would also add that attempting to express yourself clearly verbally or in writing while intoxicated, under the effects of certain drugs, or with certain types of head injury should require a skill roll (typically with some form of negative modifier). The native language and literacy skills are there for exceptional circumstances, not everyday use (unless you get drunk a lot, or get a fun new head injury every day, I guess).
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

LeeNapier wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:Routine uses of language and literacy shouldn't require skill rolls or earn experience, and merely speaking to someone or reading a book should be considered automatic abilities.

THIS. Think about Shakespeare. Technically, Shakespeare's plays are written in Modern English (not Old English, as many like to believe. Old English is a completely different language). Because the language is complex and archaic, a skill check is needed to read it, even though it's written in the language you speak every day.

I would also add that attempting to express yourself clearly verbally or in writing while intoxicated, under the effects of certain drugs, or with certain types of head injury should require a skill roll (typically with some form of negative modifier). The native language and literacy skills are there for exceptional circumstances, not everyday use (unless you get drunk a lot, or get a fun new head injury every day, I guess).

But speak: native language is an auto98 skill, isn't it? You wouldn't have, say, a 52% in it. I would say that you'd need a roll anytime you were trying to say something important while stressed (public speaking, under interrogation, being debriefed, trying to get something out really fast... like "CUT THE GREEN WIRE!")
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

The problem with skills is that there isn't a set definition of how to use them.

I think that if you have a skill, you should be able to do routine things with it, and you should only need to roll it when there is some uncertainty, or at least drama, in rolling.

Like if you have the Auto Mechanics skill, at 45%, you should actually be pretty good at it. You shouldn't have a 55% chance of failing to change the spark plugs. You should only roll when there is a reason to. Like if need to get the car running quickly before the hordes arrive.
Singing at 60%? You should be able to give a good singing performance every time. Unless, the villain is holding your girlfriend hostage, and you need to give a good performance to save her life. Yeah, villains can be crazy.

So, having a language skill doesn't mean you have to roll every time you have to talk. Unless you are one of those evil GMs who are like "You failed your roll, you forgot how to say hi! Dur hur hur. Dur hur hur." In which case, Palladium's rule vagueness can be used to your advantage.

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

1) Think Ziva from NCIS, messing up common phrases
2) What's the word,......
3) The english language is a terrible mess, synonyms-antonyms-metaphors-homophones. A failed roll means you mis-speak. basic skill will allow you to communicate a general idea. The lower the percentage the more broken it is. Complex ideas and fluency require 75%. Anything less causes you to trip up. More than that people are impressed with your diction
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”