Anti-vampire UV ammunition

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Anti-vampire UV ammunition

Unread post by Traska »

Only if you could somehow enchant the slug so that the instant it deforms it triggers a release of a Globe of Daylight...
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

UV doesn't harm vampires in PB games, it is true sunlight only (this isn't underworld). You could come up with a magically enchanted bullet that maybe released a globe of daylight or some other kind of true sun spell though to cause damage.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Only problem is that Globe of Daylight IIRC doesn't cause damage to the normal vampires only those crab-vamps...
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

IIRC, as I'm lacking my books at the moment... the answer is no. The vampire is essentially just a demon wearing your skin and having done a memory sweep of your brain looking for the good bits.

I could be wrong of course but that's how I think of the PB vamps.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by GenThunderfist »

Yes, all skills of the previous OCC are retained, and No - there really isn't any Sunlight Spell that will hurt them. The reasoning behind sun hurting a vampire is the mysticism behind it, in many religious cultures the Sun is the physical equivalent of God. Same reason Crosses hurt them and holy water burns them (besides normal water hurting them because it represents purity).
Shoot or Die, it's the name of the game.

Oh kids these days, with their texting and murder...
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Amanda-Cha'at wrote:I meant through some Techno-wizardry (by some other type of magic than i see in my RUE)?

That's entirely up to your GM.
He could allow a TW weapon powered by Globe of Daylight that would shoot sunbeams at the vampires. Or maybe not.
For that matter, he could allow a TW weapon powered by pretty much anything to hurt vampires.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

There is a series of spells in the Nightbane main book that can temporarily or permanently enchant any weapon to inflict double damage to supernatural beings or inflict normal damage to creatures that would otherwise be immune without special materials[vampires, were-creatures, etc]. They've not been directly ported into the other settings, but that's not really an issue. As regular invocations/rituals, almost any spellcaster could theoretically learn them.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Amanda-Cha'at wrote:Does anyone here see a possibility that there might be UV-Ammunition for slug weapons that would actually harm a vampire?

Sure, why not? While in Rifts the reason for vampires taking damage from the sun is due more to mysticism, one could always say that it had always been UV rays, due to earlier civilaztions (comparitively) lesser understanding of the sun's rays. You could do via tehcnowizardry (Globe of Daylight) or make a new spell (especially if YOU are the GM). :lol:
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

keir451 wrote:
Amanda-Cha'at wrote:Does anyone here see a possibility that there might be UV-Ammunition for slug weapons that would actually harm a vampire?

Sure, why not? While in Rifts the reason for vampires taking damage from the sun is due more to mysticism, one could always say that it had always been UV rays, due to earlier civilaztions (comparitively) lesser understanding of the sun's rays. You could do via tehcnowizardry (Globe of Daylight) or make a new spell (especially if YOU are the GM). :lol:

I'm not trying to squash any wonderful creativity here, but it does say, explicitly, in the Vamp book that Globe of Daylight will not hurt a vampire. At all.

World Book 1: Vampire Kingdoms - New Revised Edition: First Printing, August 2011 wrote:Globe of Daylight spell holds vampires at bay. The magic spell Globe of Daylight does create true daylight, but it is not powerful enough to destroy a vampire. it can, however, hold vampires at bay just beyond the edge of the light and prevent them from entering the lighted area.

Even a TW magic bullet with Globe of Daylight will have no effect upon the undead spawn. However, Magic Weapons do in fact harm a vampire, but there is no justification that a Globe of Daylight spell will cause a vampire any harm. It might have to make a HF save as it realizes why there is light emanating from the bullet, but other than that it will not work. Only the natural light of the sun has any effect over the vampires. If you really want something effective, use magic fire bullets, those will do a number on the things :)

MethosDarkblade
Wanderer
Comment: The Dark General of the Apocalypse and the right hand man to the Horseman of Death

Unread post by MethosDarkblade »

Mysteries of magic has a new air warlock spell called "Globe of True Daylight". If somehow a wizard can learn this spell (or a former air warlock who then became a TW) then there could be a possibility of creating a sunlight laser.

But not many people know of the new spells in Mysteries of Magic.
Methos Darkblade

If you smell who the rat is cooking.

Super or otherwise, you are just a man, while I am a God!
-Darkseid

That was fairly ruthless father. I hope I made you proud.
-Aqualad

Always better to crash the mode
-Impulse
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

GenThunderfist wrote:
keir451 wrote:

I'm not trying to squash any wonderful creativity here, but it does say, explicitly, in the Vamp book that Globe of Daylight will not hurt a vampire. At all.

World Book 1: Vampire Kingdoms - New Revised Edition: First Printing, August 2011 wrote:Globe of Daylight spell holds vampires at bay. The magic spell Globe of Daylight does create true daylight, but it is not powerful enough to destroy a vampire. it can, however, hold vampires at bay just beyond the edge of the light and prevent them from entering the lighted area.

Even a TW magic bullet with Globe of Daylight will have no effect upon the undead spawn. However, Magic Weapons do in fact harm a vampire, but there is no justification that a Globe of Daylight spell will cause a vampire any harm. It might have to make a HF save as it realizes why there is light emanating from the bullet, but other than that it will not work. Only the natural light of the sun has any effect over the vampires. If you really want something effective, use magic fire bullets, those will do a number on the things :)

Your logic is good, BUT technowizardry often utilizes spells to do things contrary to the normal operations of the spell.
The Battle Fury Blade, for example, uses Speed Weapon to double the user's attacks with the sword, even though the spell itself specifies that it does not work with magic weapons.
At one point in the TW item rules, it is suggested that it would be viable to use Carpet of Adhesion built into a vehicle to allow that vehicle to drive up walls.
And so on.
So the normal limitations of Globe of Daylight wouldn't necessarily be maintained in a TW device/weapon.
It's entirely up to the GM whether it would be allowable or not, and/or what the effects are.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

How about a TW enchanted weapon using the Lightblade spell as the base? Expensive PPE-wise per shot, but nothing that can't be counter by using more gems to lower the cost. Or you could just turret mount the weapon on the back your vehicle and power it with a TW Energy Globe based battery system.
GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

Killer Cyborg wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:
keir451 wrote:

Your logic is good, BUT technowizardry often utilizes spells to do things contrary to the normal operations of the spell.
The Battle Fury Blade, for example, uses Speed Weapon to double the user's attacks with the sword, even though the spell itself specifies that it does not work with magic weapons.
At one point in the TW item rules, it is suggested that it would be viable to use Carpet of Adhesion built into a vehicle to allow that vehicle to drive up walls.
And so on.
So the normal limitations of Globe of Daylight wouldn't necessarily be maintained in a TW device/weapon.
It's entirely up to the GM whether it would be allowable or not, and/or what the effects are.

Well, the essential enchantment of speed weapon is what makes it a magic weapon, without that enchantment it isn't magic anymore, and now speed weapon works, but then it doesn't, but then it does, and in the end is just paradoxical. TW items just can't stack Speed Weapon as the spell (like a caster can't use the spell on the TW item, but if the item was built with Speed Weapon it will work).

I see where you are going with the idea of, not all magic does it's intended effect while working through techno wizardry. However, logically speaking using only the available canon, having a UV round made out of a simple Globe of Daylight spell shouldn't work against a vampire. Personally I see it as more of a repellent...although I could see using it in a spell chain with a couple of other spells to make it so that it will work, but just Globe of Daylight shouldn't do that.

But Techno-Wizardy is really, really, really loosley defined to begin with and is entirely up to GM discression for the most part. I mean, you can't make an all powerful sword out of float on air, it just doesn't make sense, but beyond common sense it's up to the GM.

They don't have a shrug smiley, but I would use it here, so for now *shrug* I was just saying how I would call it based off of R:UE and WB 1. I think there are better (more inventive) ways to get the effect, and Globe of Daylight is really the slacker's way out of working up a spell chain - in my opinion :P

GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

Johnnycat93 wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:
keir451 wrote:Sure, why not? While in Rifts the reason for vampires taking damage from the sun is due more to mysticism, one could always say that it had always been UV rays, due to earlier civilaztions (comparitively) lesser understanding of the sun's rays. You could do via tehcnowizardry (Globe of Daylight) or make a new spell (especially if YOU are the GM). :lol:

And so on.

Well, the essential enchantment of speed weapon is what makes it a magic weapon, without that enchantment it isn't magic anymore, and now speed weapon works, but then it doesn't, but then it does, and in the end is just paradoxical. TW items just can't stack Speed Weapon as the spell (like a caster can't use the spell on the TW item, but if the item was built with Speed Weapon it will work).

I see where you are going with the idea of, not all magic does it's intended effect while working through techno wizardry. However, logically speaking using only the available canon, having a UV round made out of a simple Globe of Daylight spell shouldn't work against a vampire. Personally I see it as more of a repellent...although I could see using it in a spell chain with a couple of other spells to make it so that it will work, but just Globe of Daylight shouldn't do that.

But Techno-Wizardy is really, really, really loosley defined to begin with and is entirely up to GM discression for the most part. I mean, you can't make an all powerful sword out of float on air, it just doesn't make sense, but beyond common sense it's up to the GM.

They don't have a shrug smiley, but I would use it here, so for now *shrug* I was just saying how I would call it based off of R:UE and WB 1. I think there are better (more inventive) ways to get the effect, and Globe of Daylight is really the slacker's way out of working up a spell chain - in my opinion :P

Actually this was all answered in the FAQs, Speed Weapon cannot be cast ON a TW weapon, but it can be used in a TW weapons spell chain to gain its benefits

...that's what I said...I thought...maybe i was unclear :?

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Johnnycat93 wrote:Actually this was all answered in the FAQs, Speed Weapon cannot be cast ON a TW weapon, but it can be used in a TW weapons spell chain to gain its benefits

Right.
Technowizardry can use spells in ways that they cannot normally be used, bypassing the normal restrictions.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

GenThunderfist wrote:Well, the essential enchantment of speed weapon is what makes it a magic weapon, without that enchantment it isn't magic anymore, and now speed weapon works, but then it doesn't, but then it does, and in the end is just paradoxical. TW items just can't stack Speed Weapon as the spell (like a caster can't use the spell on the TW item, but if the item was built with Speed Weapon it will work).

I'm pretty sure there are other spells in the spell chain; the weapon inflicts mega-damage, whether the "fury" is activated or not.

According to canon, the exact workings of any attempted TW device are entirely up to the GM.
Whether it makes sense or not.

But Techno-Wizardy is really, really, really loosley defined to begin with and is entirely up to GM discression for the most part.

Exactly.

I mean, you can't make an all powerful sword out of float on air, it just doesn't make sense, but beyond common sense it's up to the GM.

Since the parameters are up to the GM, you could make an all-powerful sword out to Float on Air, as long as your GM okays it.
Although I agree that this wouldn't make sense.

They REALLY need a shrug smiley.
I've been wanting one for years.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Amanda-Cha'at wrote:what line of books feature "MYSTERIES OF MAGIC"
It is part of the PFRPG universe......although the basics can be applied to just about anywhere in the Palladium Megaverse, of course.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

MethosDarkblade wrote:Mysteries of magic has a new air warlock spell called "Globe of True Daylight". If somehow a wizard can learn this spell (or a former air warlock who then became a TW) then there could be a possibility of creating a sunlight laser.

But not many people know of the new spells in Mysteries of Magic.

Once I apply industrial processes to TW, and establish a large and comprehensive spell library/spell bank for the R&D mages, a whole lot of vampires are going to be suffering heartburn...or else be shot so full of high-calibur sunshine they're going to look like human lanterns... :twisted: :D :angel:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
kogwar
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: "Alea iacta est." The die is cast.

Unread post by kogwar »

GenThunderfist wrote:Yes, all skills of the previous OCC are retained, and No - there really isn't any Sunlight Spell that will hurt them. The reasoning behind sun hurting a vampire is the mysticism behind it, in many religious cultures the Sun is the physical equivalent of God. Same reason Crosses hurt them and holy water burns them (besides normal water hurting them because it represents purity).

iirc there is a true russian fire spell liek globe of day light that damages vamps.
“Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.”
― George S. Patton Jr.

Working on: New West Rifter submission

Campaigns:
The Sons Of DustWater campaign
GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

kogwar wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:Yes, all skills of the previous OCC are retained, and No - there really isn't any Sunlight Spell that will hurt them. The reasoning behind sun hurting a vampire is the mysticism behind it, in many religious cultures the Sun is the physical equivalent of God. Same reason Crosses hurt them and holy water burns them (besides normal water hurting them because it represents purity).

iirc there is a true russian fire spell liek globe of day light that damages vamps.

If you are talking about the 2nd level spell "Bright Sun" then no, it does no damage to vampires. It just blinds them for -9 to strike, parry, and dodge for 1D6 melee round.
It's in Mystic Russia on pg. 112. Other than that I am not sure what you might be talking about.

kogwar
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: "Alea iacta est." The die is cast.

Unread post by kogwar »

GenThunderfist wrote:
kogwar wrote:

If you are talking about the 2nd level spell "Bright Sun" then no, it does no damage to vampires. It just blinds them for -9 to strike, parry, and dodge for 1D6 melee round.
It's in Mystic Russia on pg. 112. Other than that I am not sure what you might be talking about.

That was it.
“Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.”
― George S. Patton Jr.

Working on: New West Rifter submission

Campaigns:
The Sons Of DustWater campaign
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

GenThunderfist wrote:
kogwar wrote:

So, anti vamp flashbangs then.

Return to “Rifts®”