Palladium Setting or Your Own World Setting

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Do you use the Palladium World or Your Own?

I use the Palladium World Setting.
34%
I use my own Homebrew Setting.
9%
I have used or do use both.
56%

Total votes: 32

auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Palladium Setting or Your Own World Setting

Unread post by auyl »

I personally find there is too much information and fluff about the Palladium world NOT to use it. Not that I couldn't come up with something on my own, I just like the world as it stands and so use it.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I've run a lot of Palladium Fantasy campaigns, and it still holds a special place in my heart. In fact, I still try to write for it when I can (and have been doing so). With that said, I can't help but make my own worlds all the time. I need to stretch my imagination, and for that I often create. Due to my player group, I tend to create more sci-fi settings though (their preference). At one point, I did create a Fantasy setting (the variants that have been in my head since I first started thinking about fantasy settings, tweaked and modified over the years). I eventually did a write-up of some of it and had the intentions of filling in the blanks (most of which are in my head, but I didn't include in the write-up so it could be revealed as the players learned it in game). I ran the game for only one player, but I enjoyed as I expanded the setting. For those curious ...

http://www.prysus.com/The_Fantastic_World.htm

Anyways, I think that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

I use both...
The first thing I changed was the size of the world (increased it by a factor of 10)
Second thing I added? N&SS combat rules...
I also added a wuxia style country to the setting (Placed on the Island continent of Lopan) [The setting is over 25 years in the making].
I would say 75% of my campaigns take place in or are connected to my version of Lopan.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Like all PB's IP's I use it as is. The Palladium world has so much to write adventures about after 20+ years Im no where near exploring it all.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

I use the world as is, with placement of some towns/cities/places of interest of my own. I cannot imagine a 10x Palladium world- my group travels a lot by ship, and at an 18 knot clip (fast for Fantasy standards) it often takes months for them to get from place to place.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

zyanitevp wrote:I use the world as is, with placement of some towns/cities/places of interest of my own. I cannot imagine a 10x Palladium world- my group travels a lot by ship, and at an 18 knot clip (fast for Fantasy standards) it often takes months for them to get from place to place.
I increased the size due to complaints from Players that things were too close together... Plus it allows for the additional placement of "minor" towns and villages a few days ride from each other.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Evil Genius Prime wrote:Here's another question for you guys.

Is there enough info on the Palladium World in the corebook for me to run quite a few adventures without having to plop down more money for the other books that describe the world in more detail?

Also, I bought Animals & Monsters and Dragons & Gods. I should be getting all three books in the mail before the week is out.

more than enough.
those three books should give years of adventures.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Evil Genius Prime wrote:Here's another question for you guys.

Is there enough info on the Palladium World in the corebook for me to run quite a few adventures without having to plop down more money for the other books that describe the world in more detail?

Also, I bought Animals & Monsters and Dragons & Gods. I should be getting all three books in the mail before the week is out.

Greetings and Salutations. In my opinion, the main book alone could be enough for me to run games for a long time. But I'll admit I like filling in the blanks, and places that have almost every town/city detailed feels more restricting to me.

I'll be honest, the only reason I bought the other PF books (originally) was because as the G.M. I wanted access to things like the new O.C.C., skills, and items (players like options, and as a G.M. I like to know what's going on since players tend to like leaving out key details). I've run games for years, and I honestly don't think I've read almost any of the setting information in the last 13 years or so of owning them.

Of course, that's just the way I am. I believe in another thread you mentioned you owned 1st Edition and didn't care for the setting. I don't think 2nd Edition will have changed enough to change that view point (unless you were young, and then maybe older/more experienced eyes will appreciate something the younger you didn't).

Anyways, I think that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

When I first started back during the days of 1st edition, you didn't know anything for the longest
time beyond Timiro and what was said in the main book about the world in large. High Seas gave
just a little and so did Yin Sloth, Northern, and Island at the End of the World. So I pretty much
made up what was there in the Eastern Territory and we never really did anything any place else,
and if we did I made it up or based it off some movie, book, tv show, etc. When 2nd edition
came out and the books started churning out, I tried my best to do a mix of both, because
sometimes I liked their ideas better or mine seem to fit more for the adventure. Then I started
writing stuff which required me to work more with the cannon material, with some tweeks of my
own. Now that is pretty much how I GM, I stay with the cannon material but add in some of my
own flavor and tweeks. The monsters and animals of Rifter #57 and #58 are a great example.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

PB settings are all great. It's the system that I replace with my own.

--flatline
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

I use a mix of both. Palladium gives me a decent core world with all the races, monsters, gods and dragons I can use between the big three (PFRPG Main Book, Monsters & Animals and Dragons & Gods) And sets up a decent world overview with the established histories, governments etc., then I just take it and run with it in any direction I want to.

In my current incarnation of the Palladium world, the conflict between the Eastern Territory and the Wolfen Empire has escalated in to full-blown war. The canine races have had enough and are on the move with an aggressive invasion front from the northern. However, the Wolfen are getting clever about it by running small, fast ships past Eastern blockades in the Inland Sea into the Old Kingdom. Loaded with military forces and plenty of seed funds, they intend to start stirring up the Orc and Ogre hordes there under practiced Wolfen leadership in daring guerilla runs and raids from the west, hoping to eventually raise armies of these monstrous misanthropes and catch the Eastern territory in a deadly pincer of howling Wolfen from the north and bloodthirsty Orcs, Ogres and Trolls from the west. This tactic, so far, has met with limited success, partly from the limited number of successful runs past the Eastern blockades around Lopan, partly from the difficulty in organizing the rather dull-witted forces of Orc and Ogre under Wolfen military banners, and partly from the Western Empire taking a very pointed interest in the movements of the hordes to the east, thus allowing for further expansion of the Empire deeper into the Old Kingdom. Of course, the Giant Kingdom of Mount Nimro always has an interest in keeping the Empire at bay, but is needing assurances from the Wolfen that they can get some help in that department... help that is terribly slow in coming unless the Wolfen start splitting the Orc and Ogre forces between Eastern invasion and Western defense, something the Wolfen Empire is not willing to fully commit to at the moment considering their immediate long term goals. The Eastern territory is not without its own allies in this mess though as, with their far superior naval forces, they start to tighten their ties with the Bizantium Kingdom to the north to help with keeping the Wolfen busy, and with Timiro to the south to start wearing at the Wolfen backed Orcs and Ogres as well. It's a twisted web being woven and it's still anybody's game so far... who will come out on top? That's for the players and their actions to decide... place your bets folks!
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Evil Genius Prime wrote:
JuliusCreed wrote:I use a mix of both. Palladium gives me a decent core world with all the races, monsters, gods and dragons I can use between the big three (PFRPG Main Book, Monsters & Animals and Dragons & Gods) And sets up a decent world overview with the established histories, governments etc., then I just take it and run with it in any direction I want to.

In my current incarnation of the Palladium world, the conflict between the Eastern Territory and the Wolfen Empire has escalated in to full-blown war. The canine races have had enough and are on the move with an aggressive invasion front from the northern. However, the Wolfen are getting clever about it by running small, fast ships past Eastern blockades in the Inland Sea into the Old Kingdom. Loaded with military forces and plenty of seed funds, they intend to start stirring up the Orc and Ogre hordes there under practiced Wolfen leadership in daring guerilla runs and raids from the west, hoping to eventually raise armies of these monstrous misanthropes and catch the Eastern territory in a deadly pincer of howling Wolfen from the north and bloodthirsty Orcs, Ogres and Trolls from the west. This tactic, so far, has met with limited success, partly from the limited number of successful runs past the Eastern blockades around Lopan, partly from the difficulty in organizing the rather dull-witted forces of Orc and Ogre under Wolfen military banners, and partly from the Western Empire taking a very pointed interest in the movements of the hordes to the east, thus allowing for further expansion of the Empire deeper into the Old Kingdom. Of course, the Giant Kingdom of Mount Nimro always has an interest in keeping the Empire at bay, but is needing assurances from the Wolfen that they can get some help in that department... help that is terribly slow in coming unless the Wolfen start splitting the Orc and Ogre forces between Eastern invasion and Western defense, something the Wolfen Empire is not willing to fully commit to at the moment considering their immediate long term goals. The Eastern territory is not without its own allies in this mess though as, with their far superior naval forces, they start to tighten their ties with the Bizantium Kingdom to the north to help with keeping the Wolfen busy, and with Timiro to the south to start wearing at the Wolfen backed Orcs and Ogres as well. It's a twisted web being woven and it's still anybody's game so far... who will come out on top? That's for the players and their actions to decide... place your bets folks!

That's some very good extrapolation. I'm probably going to jack some of this. :D

Thanks! Glad you like it! Feel free to jack anything you like from it... I'll keep you updated as things develop if you'll do the same! :D
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Yea,I also use a mix of both.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

I've always been a big fan of using the printed setting closely, and filling in as needed, or shifting some things around to get a desired effect. And it's how I've played for a decade, but all of those minor changes where accumulated into something else that was self sustaining. So my current setting is pretty different from what's just presented in the little details, but the big picture remains pretty much the same.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

So far have only used the official setting.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
gdub411
Wanderer

Unread post by gdub411 »

While still incomplete, the Palladium World is too good NOT to use.
tmbn
Wanderer

Unread post by tmbn »

The Palladium World is so rich and fantastic if you read into the books. Therefor we live and breath in this world. Just exploring everyting around Timoro Kingdom is a huge task. Think small not big. Then think bigger as the players progress.
St. Evil
Explorer
Comment: Looking to start the Really Evil League of Evil, because the League of Evil wasn't evil enough.

Unread post by St. Evil »

I voted the Palladium Setting I have mixed my favorite fantasy series into the world, The Garret Files has some great city adventure ideas.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

I use a homebrew setting (apparently me and one other person)...it is a Palladium/Basic Role-Playing kitbash (using a skill-based d100 system). The link to the setting is in my signature or here:
http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/vhraeden-blood-steel-and-iron-will

Think RIFTS but with a coherent fantasy backstory and not so much munchkinism.

Spoiler:
Eleven hundred years after the God’s War, the world is still in chaos, trying to claw its way towards some semblance of normality. That goal remains a distant dream. Nations war with each other for dwindling resources, increased power and for revenge. Cultures clash over ideals and the right to exist. Meanwhile, the Cults of Darkness, long thought destroyed, slowly drag the world ever closer to the Abyss. Vhraeden is a place of stark contrasts where there are no limits for those cunning or violent enough to make their own rules and carve their own destiny.

Vhraeden is in turmoil and each aspect of this setting presents its own unique challenges and rewards. From swords, sorcery and guns for hire, to espionage, criminal and military operations, the world of Vhraeden is dangerous and multi-faceted. Characters are forces of order; professional spies, mercenaries, soldiers or police officers expected to keep the forces of chaos from spilling over into their nation. It is their job to keep their country and their people safe against those who would do it harm. Those enemies run the gamut from warlords to cultists. Do you have the strength to save yourself, much less your people?

This a complex and dark world where billions of sentient beings live and interact with each other as well as gods, devils and other unique beings. Within this milieu, conflict is inevitable. There is violence inherent in a world with over three billion beings spread over scores of nations, tens of races, hundreds of cultures and countless loyalties.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

As I combine PFRPG and Heroes Unlimited, a lot of stuff I have to create myself, but the books are great for OCCS and info about races, monsters, and towns.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

I like to invent worlds and so does my group. But we have been using the book...we have 2 new players we are trying to brake in.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”