The Dabbler - Ultimate Jack of Trades

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MethosDarkblade
Wanderer
Comment: The Dark General of the Apocalypse and the right hand man to the Horseman of Death

The Dabbler - Ultimate Jack of Trades

Unread post by MethosDarkblade »

This is my first attempt at a Rifts OCC. in years. I want the truth and helpful criticism.

The Dabbler
-The ultimate jack of all trades

The Dabbler is a human that has no sense of direction. They study magic, their minds, their skills, and they never want to stop learning. While they suffer from a form of wanderlust, they never look at this as a disadvantage, only as a means to an end.

Racial Requirements: Humans only
Attribute requirements: I.Q. and M.E. need a 12 or higher, a high P.E. is helpful, but not required.

Special abilities
At first level, select 3 special abilities below. Select one additional special ability at levels 4, 8, and 12.

Class enhancements: Select an O.C.C. that does not have magic, supernatural, or psychic enhancements (Scholar and Adventurers and Man at arms only). The character gains all special skills with the O.C.C. and 3 O.C.C. skills at full bonuses. At each level of experience, the character can select a single skill related to that O.C.C. (be it O.C.C. or O.C.C. Related) at full bonuses. Please note which skills are from the class and which are normal Dabbler O.C.C. related skills. This special ability can be selected a total of 3 times

Psychic enhancements: If selected once, the character is a minor psychic. I.S.P. is M.E. +2D6 and can select 2 psychic abilities from Healing, Sensitive, or Physical psychic categories. If selected a second time (either at first level or even later), the psychic then becomes a major psychic and can select an additional 4 psychic abilites from the minor psychic abilities and can select one Super or Mind Bleeder psychic ability. I.S.P. gains 1D6*10. If selected for a third time, the character becomes a Master Psychic and gains an additional 6 minor psychic abilities and 3 super or mind bleeder psychic abilities. I.S.P. is increased by 2D6*10. At the master psychic level, the psychic can lose 4 minor psychic abilities or 2 super or mind bleeder psychic abilities to gain the special psychic abilities of a single P.C.C. Abilities do not include additional psychic abilities and can only gain the psychic’s special abilities like a Burster or a Psi-Stalker.

Magic Knowledge: Select a single class of magic knowledge (invocations, elemental (each element is considered a single class), Fleshsculpter, necromancy, temporal magic, etc). Select a total of 5 spells from this class at the level it is first selected and gain an additional spell at each level of experience. P.P.E. starts at P.E. + 1D4*10 and gains 1D6 at each level of experience. If selected twice, P.P.E. gains an additional 1D4*10 at the time this ability is selected and gains an additional 1D6 P.P.E. per level of experience. This ability can be selected only twice. See below for Magic Skills. Additional spells cannot be gain at any time and magic knowledge is similar to a mystic or a warlock.

Magic Skills: Select a single magical class (Ley Line Walker, Necromancer, Warlock, Techno-Wizard, Shifter, etc). The Dabbler gains the special magical abilities of the class, but not the ability to cast spells. P.P.E. of those who gain this ability is P.E. + 1D4*10. If Magic Knowledge is selected, do not combine the starting P.P.E., instead starting P.P.E. is P.E. +1D6*10. This ability can only be selected once.

Mutation: This ability can only be selected once and at first level. Select 2 minor or one Major super power. Selecting this does not prevent magic or psychic bonuses.

(Optional) Bio-organic technology: Rather than selecting a special ability from above, the Dabbler was able to get their hands on a Splicer’s host armor. The character gains a M.E. + P.E. + 1D6*10 Bio-E points that can be allocated in addition to any metabolism selected. Each time this is selected, the armor gains 1D6*10 additional Bio-E points to modify the armor. Magic and psychic abilities can not be used while in the host armor. The host armor takes 1D6 damage each melee when touching metallic objects and takes MD damage when attacked with SDC metallic objects.

OCC Skills: Select 6 skills from any category at a +10% each
OCC Related Skills: Select 4 skills from any category at a -5% each. At each level, select 1 additional skill at a -5% from any category. WPs that are selected start off at level 0 and gain no bonuses. They however do not suffer any penalties when dealing with an unknown weapon even though their WP is considered to be a level 0.
Secondary Skills: Select 2 skills from the secondary skill list at a -5%. At levels 3, 5, 8, 10, and 15, select 2 additional secondary skills at a -5%. WPs that are selected suffer the same penalty as OCC Related WPs.
Methos Darkblade

If you smell who the rat is cooking.

Super or otherwise, you are just a man, while I am a God!
-Darkseid

That was fairly ruthless father. I hope I made you proud.
-Aqualad

Always better to crash the mode
-Impulse
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: The Dabbler - Ultimate Jack of Trades

Unread post by 13eowulf »

I thought I found a Dabbler OCC online a few years ago...

Interesting concept though, I would like to see more...
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

This class has impressive power potential.If you take Invulnerability as your super power mutation,you have an excellent chance of surviving most Rifts combats unscathed.Adding the magic class abilities of the Magebane from Mercenary Adventures makes you nearly immune to magic.For the class skills.perhaps the Robot Slammer from Rifts Canada would be a good choice.Not too shabby at first level. By the way,how do you choose your equipment?
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I think you would do well to give an option for bio-wizard enhancements and not just splicers armor.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
sirkermittsg
Explorer

Unread post by sirkermittsg »

i like it.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Agreed. It's a good adventurer concept in the true idea of a 'wanderer'...not particularly attached to any one place, school, belief, or creed to spend real time and effort honing and mastering. Likely has own ideas of power, resposnibility, and application, and this slides the character from one interest to another (wonders if 'forces in opposition are really in harmony' as practiced by some mages applies to philosophy/psionics as well....uses that as a basis for his meditations...leads to him developing psionic potential, etc....)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Very interesting.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Return to “Rifts®”